Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

The older I get, the more I realise how lovely non stick stuff is for cooking on too. I prefer standard cast iron frying pans and stainless steel pots/pans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't know about Aratinga conures (the bigger, usually brighter ones) but Pyrrhura (smaller, primarily green) are flock birds more than one-person bonders, so even if your pair are inseparable they'll still have some love left over for you.

This is good to know as I would prefer any bird to have some company all the time without being shunned as the servant who brings food and cleans poop.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I almost bought a bird today D: It would have been a bad idea for a variety of reasons, but god drat we were just enchanted

Green-cheeked Conure at the pet store saw us walking by it's cage, picked up a loose feather, walked up a little wooden ladder and offered it to us. Then he spent 10 minutes trying to groom my finger. You have my envy, bird people. :negative:

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

Mirthless posted:

I almost bought a bird today D: It would have been a bad idea for a variety of reasons, but god drat we were just enchanted

Green-cheeked Conure at the pet store saw us walking by it's cage, picked up a loose feather, walked up a little wooden ladder and offered it to us. Then he spent 10 minutes trying to groom my finger. You have my envy, bird people. :negative:

You've got more willpower than me, then. I'm resisting the urge to ask what pet store.

CHUFFY REPORT. He still thinks talking is dumb. I live alone, so he doesn't often see me talking to other people. His is, however, imitating my whistles now. Mostly to call to me if I pop into the kitchen or something. Today he was playing with a new toy while I was drawing, and I'm almost positive he tried to imitate my laughter. It's hella interesting, because right around the same time Chuffy started whistling like me a whole bunch, his sister Chilly, who lives across the city with Uglynoodles, has started imitating the conure she shares a living room with. The conure, Iro, of course imitates Uglynoodles and her partner. So she's learning to talk via a game of chinese whispers, essentially, whereas Chuffy has spent a year listening to me talk and whistle to him, and has latched onto the whistling rather than the talking. I guess it makes sense. If he doesn't hear me talking to other people very often, he's going to latch onto what seems more bird-like to him. I'm actually helluva pissed at my mother right now; for some reason she decided to tell the rest of the family that I'm upset that Chuffy won't talk like Disco so famously does. Which is a steaming load of colossal loving bullshit, obviously.

We were listening to some rap for a change from our usual fare this morning. He liked it plenty, chirped along with it happily. But god-daaaaaaaaamn he was pleased when Spotify switched to Always by Erasure. I've never heard such contented little chuffing from him over music before.

Boodge Bum fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 25, 2014

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Is Iro still offended that budgies share the same plane of existence :3?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't know what to do about Archer. After Anaïs finished laying her eggs a couple of days ago he started becoming super aggressive towards her. Is he getting hormonal because of being around the eggs all the time? I put him in a cage by himself for now and I was planning on rearranging the main cage since I read that can help with them getting territorial but what else can I do?

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Got a quick question about heating an area during the winter. Right now the birds are in their new solarium-type room and boy does it get chilly at night in there. We looked at heated perches but the negative reviews were terrifying (burned feet!?) so now the idea of a heat lamp that doesn't give off light is looking attractive. Does anyone have any experience with these? ZooMed's ceramic lamps seem to be well-reviewed and I can buy a few clamp-lamps at the hardware store to hang above the cages.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

No space heaters. Honestly unless things get below 60 degrees you don't need external heating, and at night if they're covered they stay reasonably snug under there.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Pile of Kittens posted:

No space heaters. Honestly unless things get below 60 degrees you don't need external heating, and at night if they're covered they stay reasonably snug under there.

I'd say it gets to around outside temperatures, which here in Seattle can get into the upper 40s right now at night. They're always covered at night but Max's feet in the morning are really chilly.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

A space heater w ceramic element is just fine. You can get them with thermostats now too, which is great and what we used when we had a heating issue last winter. Just don't put it directly next to the cage.

Heated perches can be fine as well, just do a lot of research on whichever specific model you're considering to see if it has any reported overheating issues. Keep it set to low if you're still worried.

E: Pile of Kittens is right that birds are very good at staying toasty on their own (they do live outdoors in the wild after all) but I don't think there's anything wrong with giving them a little warmth.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 26, 2014

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I got heated perches for my birds last winter since we keep our house on the chilly side (heating fuel is expensive :() My cockatiel loves it but my conure will never sit on it. One of his toes is messed up so I think he has a hard time gripping it. He does like to sit on my hot water bottle though :3:

We got Thermo Perches from Drs Fosters and Smith. They heat to 102-107F with no settings. So far have not noticed any feet burns, but I was worried about that too.

I moved Ozzy and Nugget into the same cage, so I have an extra one if you want it (PM me). Ozzy has turned out to be a much better cagemate for Nugget than Sprite ever was. He does not constantly chase her around the place like Sprite used to do.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

You can also get these plates that screw to the side of the cage and warm up.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

I love this :xd:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pip pip pip posted:

I moved Ozzy and Nugget into the same cage, so I have an extra one if you want it (PM me). Ozzy has turned out to be a much better cagemate for Nugget than Sprite ever was. He does not constantly chase her around the place like Sprite used to do.

My elderly ladytiel Rosy shared a cage with Amadeus for the last couple years of her life. I was really surprised at how content they were with each other, since they were total opposites in temperament and he was just a baby compared to her.

Rosy started mimicking conure behaviors after a while, bathing the way Ama does instead of waiting for a misting, and using her little tiel feet to pick up millet. So you have that to look forward to. :3:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My elderly ladytiel Rosy shared a cage with Amadeus for the last couple years of her life. I was really surprised at how content they were with each other, since they were total opposites in temperament and he was just a baby compared to her.

Rosy started mimicking conure behaviors after a while, bathing the way Ama does instead of waiting for a misting, and using her little tiel feet to pick up millet. So you have that to look forward to. :3:

Awww :3: Nugget and Ozzy have always lived side-by-side and interacted a lot between cages/outside of cages. Nugget has never picked up any of Ozzy's behaviors but Ozzy tries really hard to mimic her contact whistle. It sounds really weird :derptiel: Nugget used to try to mimic Sprite at bath taking but she is either too fat or too dumb to figure it out. She was too scared of pie tins to try taking a bath in them...

Nugget has been having moments of panicky loneliness without a cagemate. I think it's too soon to tell if moving Ozzy in with her will alleviate that or not, but so far it's going well.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

Tasty_Crayon posted:

You can also get these plates that screw to the side of the cage and warm up.

I have one of these for my lovebird, she snuggles up next to it at night. I like it cold and my bedroom often dips into the 50s is I leave the windows open so I figured a heater wouldn't hurt. Overall I've been happy with it and she seems to be too.

The only word of warning I have for it is that Boo was able to climb onto the top edge of it and would hunker like a vulture on it so she was standing on the really narrow edge of it. I worried she might end up burning her feet or somehow slip between the heater and bars so I ended up changing positions and perches around so that she can't get on top anymore.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

GUYS I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO SHOW YOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMXrBWswl0

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Amaya posted:

GUYS I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO SHOW YOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMXrBWswl0

Woah. I hope they trim around its face, I can't imagine it can see that well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Chili posted:

Woah. I hope they trim around its face, I can't imagine it can see that well.

Glad I wasn't the first person to think that. I have a genetic mess of a little dog - her fur won't stop growing and she does not moult so you have to shave her every 6 months, and also cut the hair on her face so she can see a lot more than that. She hates the actual grooming but when she suddenly has all her vision back she does her happy dance where she stands on her back legs and hops round in circles.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

What is Occam's Razor??????
so i work part time at this local pet store that has a black capped conure. he was in a huge cage, and happy as can be. I even got him to step up, however my boss said it was too big and transferred him to a smaller cage. Ever since he's been a lot nippier and when i approach him, he lunges at my fingers. it kind of seems like he's trying to attack me. i don't know if i should handle him and enforce bad behavior (i'm not equipped to train him since a) he's in the main area where i can't deprive him of my presence, and b) i don't have the bird knowledge to do it any other way)

i like him a lot but he's super expensive and being a college student i can't afford him :[

this is him

Occams taser fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 27, 2014

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Has he been chewing at his tail feathers as well? :(

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

not that i've seen but his tail feathers do look kind of worn

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think the angle of that photo just makes them look super short but they're definitely frayed on the end. However it looks like the sort of fraying that comes from the bird being housed in a too-small cage (from dragging against the ground or over poorly placed perches), so maybe you can use that argument to get him back into a larger cage? The prettier the bird the more likely it'll be sold, from a managerial point of view.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

well believe it or not that's a picture of him in the bigger cage.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Give him a treat every time you reach toward him.

Shouldn't take long before he stops being nippy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Occams taser posted:

well believe it or not that's a picture of him in the bigger cage.

oh welp :downs:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori's tail looked like that when we got him, and he was housed in an aviary. It might just be a combination of dragging them on the floor/bars of the cage, and not preening them properly (laziness, or stressed/boredom chewing)

Is there anything in the cage he used to take up? Like LAB said, the prettier/friendlier/happier he looks and is, the more likely he'll be to get sold. You can clicker train him if you have the time.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

Well he seems pretty happy in general, he just seems less friendly and i wasn't sure if it was the change in housing that made him that way or if it was another factor.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It could be-does he have toys and things to interact with? He might be more territorial of his smaller cage. Do you know how old he is? Might also be puberty making him a littles less friendly.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

Plenty of toys. He has a bell that hangs from the top with a bunch of stuff connected to it.

Not sure on age, all I know is we got him as a baby around june. so he's probably around 6 or 7 months

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Conures are often territorial about their cages especially as they get older, and it makes sense that he'd be more territorial about a small cage.

Still, interact with him, offer small treats, etc, even if he doesn't let you pick him up. The interaction and attention will go a long way.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I know the answer is going to be 'keep an eye on him' but I wanted to get some opinions on a vet visit.

Ritz got his nails did on Sunday, and since then has been very nice (this doesn't happen). He's been poofy and sitting with his foot up when he's out with us, which he never does. He's also been sleepy in his cage, which is also not like him. He's still eating and drinking fine, hasn't lost any weight, still yells as normal, but when he's not doing that he seems tired. Should I take him to the vet for a check up?

e: Gunna try to get an appointment for Thursday morning, they're closed tomorrow. He's been sleeping all day and that's not normal.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 28, 2014

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
My jenday gets to go to where we got him to have his nails and wings done, it's a kinda long ride, and he is usually pooped for about 3 days afterward. He sits and is poofy, still noisy but you can see he is wore out. I usually figure it's the stress of the ride, and the stress of being handled by strangers and getting trimmed against his will. Sometimes it can last up to 5 days.

That Ritz is sleeping all day is worrisome, so I'd say a vet check is very much in order. Is he still eating and drinking normally, and do his droppings appear normal?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chicken in Black posted:

My jenday gets to go to where we got him to have his nails and wings done, it's a kinda long ride, and he is usually pooped for about 3 days afterward. He sits and is poofy, still noisy but you can see he is wore out. I usually figure it's the stress of the ride, and the stress of being handled by strangers and getting trimmed against his will. Sometimes it can last up to 5 days.

That Ritz is sleeping all day is worrisome, so I'd say a vet check is very much in order. Is he still eating and drinking normally, and do his droppings appear normal?

I exaggerated when I said all day, he's napping often and whenever we leave the room or get up or whatever he's up and about to see what's going on, but instead of being loud as usual, he's quiet when we are nearby. He's eating and drinking just fine, and currently squealing because I'm in the other room. Just gave him his dinner and he devoured the apple bit (as usual). There's a normal amount of poops in his cage, nothing watery or out of the ordinary.

He was pretty visibly distraught during the nail trip, he's usually very well behaved but this time he was doing flappies the whole car ride.

I'll see how he is tonight and tomorrow I think, he's definitely favoring his left foot slightly too.

Edit:

I think he's trolling. This morning, I woke him up as usual, he went back to bed for 5 minutes or so, decided it was too bright, then ate his breakfast. He yelled while I was in the shower, flew around and did normal bird things when he came out of his cage. Was totally fine up until I left, when he sat and did the poof thing again. Not sure what to think. Still eating and drinking fine, ate his morning fruit without any hesitation, morning poop etc.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 29, 2014

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008
I know there are a few people here with cats and birds and I just wanted to share this story for everyone's benefit. I had always let my cats and birds be out together (supervised) and not worried too much about it. My cats only showed interest in the birds once in a while and I felt pretty good that they were under control. Until Sunday, when my cat caught my budgie.

My cat was napping in my lap (or so I thought) when my budgie flew by and my cat just reached out and grabbed him. I literally could not have reacted any faster but it was already too late, my budgie was bleeding all over the place. The sight of my bird gushing blood from his chest was definitely not worth the convenience of not having to shut the cats somewhere else when the birds were out.

My budgie seems to be doing okay. I think we were really fortunate that my cat wasn't going for the kill, just got lucky. The vet said the wound seems to be superficial and is healing well although he's pretty bruised too. Of course I have to torture the poor thing multiple times a day to put antiseptic on the cut and give antibiotics to try and avoid the often fatal infections from cats.

My point is that I would read about people saying that it isn't worth it to take the risk with cats and birds. I don't really know why I thought that it was, but one look at my bleeding bird knowing that I might have just gotten him killed and it was definitely, really not worth it. Please reconsider if you allow your birds to be around cats. I wish I had :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh wow Tadhg I'm so sorry. :( Poor little budgie. You're absolutely right, as well-behaved as a cat might be around your bird, they are still predators and sometimes instincts take over. I hope your little guy heals up quickly and without complication.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh wow Tadhg I'm so sorry. :( Poor little budgie. You're absolutely right, as well-behaved as a cat might be around your bird, they are still predators and sometimes instincts take over. I hope your little guy heals up quickly and without complication.

Yup. This a thousand times. At the end of the day a flying baggie of meat is just too drat tempting for a kitty, no matter how good the kitty may be. A firm, Bird goes out, cat goes behind closed door policy has been my recipe for cohabitation peace.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I have some wild sulphur crested cockatoos that come to visit occasionally. One of them is a nice friendly fellow who will happily pick seeds out from between my fingers (the rest just bite) except sometimes after I hand-feed him for a little bit and then put seeds down for him, he'll eat the seeds, then flap up to the window, sit on the windowsill and just sort of... peer in to see what's going on.

Any idea what he wants? I've tried sitting outside with him while giving him food and he just sat there and ate for 10 minutes until I got bored. Today I tried feeding him, going and doing something else and coming back half an hour later and he hadn't moved :tinfoil:

He doesn't let me pet him either. Wild bird and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Cockatoos are pretty intelligent, he is probably just curious and wants to see what the creature who gives him free food does inside the house.