Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

al-azad posted:

Are you playing the regular translation or the uncut version or whatever they call it? Because the normal translation is terrible but the 1337 speak ridden one is irredeemable.

It's a shame the dialog is horseshit because Unepic is a pretty good Metroidvania.

Haha uhhh I'm definitely not playing the 1337 one but it certainly is nothing but unfunny references and a bizarre amount of swearing. I mean I'm not one to be offended by language but it's really jarring. Seems like a neat game otherwise though.

Drifter posted:

With so many games there are you can definitely afford to stop playing any of them that make you upset.

discard and move on.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Quest For Glory II posted:

Is Risk of Rain supposed to suck or is it having issues with its engine overhaul or whatever. I had no fun on the default everything, then I turned on baby mode and I still didn't have fun because every enemy is an enormous bullet sponge even with all the items you collect.

You're just bad. Don't worry, so am I. It's one of those games that take a while to "click" in your head, and you'll probably lose a bunch in the first and second levels before you get a decent run going. One of the most important things is balancing exploration and item collection. I try to either get health regen, proc-on-hit or drones as a priority, or something that gets me more gold - so I don't need to waste time farming. Much like Binding of Isaac, sometimes you just roll poo poo items and die.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Occultatio posted:

(although the one you posted doesn't seem to actually be on Steam? I wish you would at least make your single-image "a game exists" posts into links or something.)

I believe all the main Nancy Drew games that aren't on Steam (the early ones and Shadow Ranch) are on Big Fish Games and their own site (except Stay Tuned For Danger but I think it's getting remade like Secrets Can Kill).

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 29, 2014

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
A couple of leftover Risk of Rain keys:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=7wRFzvBtuCbF8KAc

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6KKchXzmCmyGwSBX

Also, those bloody coupons. Couldn't they just have one saying "75% off all Dejobaan Games" like the Adult Swim one instead of clogging up my inventory? :argh:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

grabbed, thanks

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nettle Soup posted:

Well they've been around at least 6+ years and I've never had an issue with them, but where they get their keys from I don't know.
Eh, good enough for me. Bookmarked for later.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Seriously, find a friend to play Risk of Rain with and grind up the artifacts. Me and a friend 100%ed it, and then we reset and started all over again. You can just edit your save file to unlock the 3 single player character unlocks, Acrid, Miner and HAN-D although he may have changed how the unlocks work with the latest patch and it may be possible to get them in multiplayer now. The save file can be edited with a text editor.

I wouldn't want to play it alone, but once you pick up the Command, Sacrifice and Glass artifacts it gets so much easier. With a friend and voice coms though it's awesome.

Something that may help, don't stop to kill things, keep running until you find the teleporter, hit it, and THEN kill things. The longer your take, the harder the game gets, you really have to power through those first few levels as quickly as possible.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tried buying Beyond Earth from Nuuvem and it was region locked. That's a 2K game.

Oh good, here I was thinking I could maybe not pay AUD$90 for it. gently caress off, 2K.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone playing Lords of the Fallen? The reviews have me on the fence about the game, and it literally looks like a Dark Souls clone made be people who didn't quite get it.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh good, here I was thinking I could maybe not pay AUD$90 for it. gently caress off, 2K.

Don't bother trying to get it from Amazon either. I couldn't get Enemy Unknown when it was on sale a few weeks ago, but I know other non-2K games have worked in the past using the same CC. Amazon might have just tightened restrictions on software in general though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Aristophanes posted:

Also, those bloody coupons. Couldn't they just have one saying "75% off all Dejobaan Games" like the Adult Swim one instead of clogging up my inventory? :argh:

This will never happen so long as Dejobaan continue to be assholes.

Hint: Dejobaan will always be assholes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That new Alone in the Dark has a Steam page.

Though that release date seems really early because I only heard about it being planned recently. Either that's a mistake, this game's been under wraps for a while, or this just going to be completely shat out.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Accordion Man posted:

Though that release date seems really early because I only heard about it being planned recently. Either that's a mistake, this game's been under wraps for a while, or this just going to be completely shat out.

Wow, I didn't even know Atari was still a thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

It has system requirements so it must be at least somewhat close to release.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Accordion Man posted:

There's nothing about those screenshots or that video that fills me with any sort of confidence.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I hope I can dress up as Santa Claus or a Cowboy in this one otherwise it's not a worth successor to the Alone In The Dark series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pentyne posted:

Anyone playing Lords of the Fallen? The reviews have me on the fence about the game, and it literally looks like a Dark Souls clone made be people who didn't quite get it.
Reactions in the LotF thread are somewhat less than enthusiastic, let's just say.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

There's going to be a new Alone in the Dark? Well, it couldn't be worse 2008 game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

Watched a bit of that. Not sure if it was the stream, but the controls looked kinda janky. Also hated how the enemies just jumped on you superfast.

The camera is not particularly smooth or steady like Dark Souls' excellent one is, and yeah the enemies go immediately for your throat the moment they see you, instead of any significant windup. Enjoyed what I played so far but I hardly played any, so actual thoughts to come much later.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

There's going to be a new Alone in the Dark? Well, it couldn't be worse 2008 game.

you say this now

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It hilariously enough promises Co-Op so it's in the running for being the best entry in the series.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
These 'click x in x seconds or you die' parts in Walking Dead are pretty garbage. The cursor just goes wherever it pleases.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

The writing in Unepic makes me kinda mad.

Just wait until you get to the final boss.

Like, I put up with a lot of bullshit in games, including a LOT of bullshit in Unepic because I love Metroidvania's, but holy gently caress was I not going to put up with that boss.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I just beat Coin Crypt using a class that makes inventory management for purchasing/donating trivial (Demon) while also loaded up with perks, including one that (at the cost of a little max health) gives a small short HP regen buff every time you hit something, even with 1 damage. I didn't have any more high damage attack coins on the final boss but who cares when I have a ton of scratch damage and enough healing from it to practically never die?

Get Coin Crypt.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Papercut posted:

Just wait until you get to the final boss.

Like, I put up with a lot of bullshit in games, including a LOT of bullshit in Unepic because I love Metroidvania's, but holy gently caress was I not going to put up with that boss.

I thought the final boss was pretty neat and at least trying something a bit different, it did take me a few tries though.

If you can ignore the writing then it's a pretty solid little game and worth the price if you like 'metroidvania' games.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Risk of Rain, much like Binding of Isaac, is the type of game where you can end up just completely and utterly cornholed by the RNG. The only class you start off with is actually pretty lovely other than having a dodge move (which doesn't help much when you positively need more damage output), and some of the ones you unlock are even worse. There'll probably be at least one that clicks with you though, and then eventually you'll get a lucky run where you completely hand the game its rear end, but your patience might not last that long. I had a good time with it and got in a couple winning runs before losing interest, but one of my friends went totally ape spit with it and unlocked everything.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Two more Risk of Rain keys for my fair gunes:

https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=4meAEbYWV444SWCP

https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=GETKqb6zHe84YDev

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Risk of Rain, much like Binding of Isaac, is the type of game where you can end up just completely and utterly cornholed by the RNG. The only class you start off with is actually pretty lovely other than having a dodge move (which doesn't help much when you positively need more damage output), and some of the ones you unlock are even worse. There'll probably be at least one that clicks with you though, and then eventually you'll get a lucky run where you completely hand the game its rear end, but your patience might not last that long. I had a good time with it and got in a couple winning runs before losing interest, but one of my friends went totally ape spit with it and unlocked everything.

It gets much easier once you unlock the Command Artifact which allows you to pick what you get. So I got a dude running around with an army of drones firing missiles and calling in another bunch of them every 30 seconds. Or another time when I stacked up as much counter damage items and such as possible and pretty much let the boss kill himself against me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Accordion Man posted:

That 'Satan' you fight looks pretty funny. I know it's 'inspired by Lovecraft' but still looks goofy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Testekill posted:

It gets much easier once you unlock the Command Artifact which allows you to pick what you get. So I got a dude running around with an army of drones firing missiles and calling in another bunch of them every 30 seconds. Or another time when I stacked up as much counter damage items and such as possible and pretty much let the boss kill himself against me.

I dunno why, since the game has no downside for using the relics, but I kinda never use them. Feels cheap, especially since in my original playthrough (I lost my savefile at some point) I managed to unlock nearly everything before relics got added.

While you can get kinda hosed by the RNG, the longer you play, the better you get at the game in general. At this point I never die before stage 4 at the earliest, even if the RNG absolutely hates me. Even when playing as Miner. It takes somewhat more skill, but it feels more rewarding. Using Command just feels really kinda dull because you just stack the overpowered items like soldier's syringes and icicle shards and win easily.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
16. Closure
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault
18. F.E.A.R. Online
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
21. Eldritch
22. The Path
23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor
24. Ghost Master
25. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
26. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
27. Paranormal State: Poison Spring
28. Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
F. The Forgotten Ones
G. Blood
H. Shadows: Price For Our Sins
I. Anodyne
J. Vlad the Impaler
K. Doorways: Chapters 1 & 2
L. The House
M. Depths of Fear :: Knossos
N. White Noise Online
O. Eleusis

-----------------

29. Betrayer

Some games click with you immediately. Others you have to warm up to. Honestly, Betrayer was a cold fish the first time I played it. It was slow, it was repetitive, and it just wasn't something I felt like spending time on. But I put in the time, and it didn't take long before I started seeing the brilliance beneath the tough exterior.

You awaken on a beach near a fort in the New World to find the place deserted and bestial conquistadors roaming the countryside. Your only friends are a mysterious lady in red, an equally mysterious merchant, and the sundry spirits haunting the fort and the wilderness. The game is assembled as an open-world mystery, where you are free to explore the VERY expansive map in search of answers, clues, trinkets, and gear scattered about. There's a great deal of walking to be done across the gorgeous environments, but there's a very handy and well-implemented fast travel system that cuts out any possible tedium.

There are a few kinds of foes to face as you explore, and care must be taken in handling them. It's an FPS with a major, MAJOR emphasis on stealth and intelligent approaches to fights. Enemies have basically the same field of vision as you do and will spot you from across fields and valleys. They're just as fast and just as wily about getting hit, and your weapons are limited in their utility. However, shadows and underbrush can hide your approach, gusts of wind can muffle your footsteps, and headshots kill far more effectively. Your bow will be your best friend for much of the game, but the flintlock pistols and muskets have their uses in dispatching single enemies efficiently. You also get a one-hit kill tomahawk with limited range and explosives for when you're feeling overwhelmed. Combat is an involved experience and can get a little repetitive when you really want to get somewhere, but mastering it is a rewarding experience.

The story is intriguing and should keep you moving forward to uncover more and more secrets about the mysterious world you find yourself in. Characters are well-written and there's a very useful journal which holds all your clues and profiles and investigations. There are plenty of items to find, including plot items, interesting trinkets, and equippable gear that improves your abilities. You'll also be helped along by some clever systems like listening for ghostly echoes to point you to places of interest. The sound design is excellent and important, so make sure you have good directional speakers or headphones for this one.

Above all, the atmosphere is top-notch. It's desolate and confounding despite the simple setting, and the graphics push it even further (and can be completely reconfigured, including playing in color, if you don't like them). Betrayer is not a hard game to play but it can be hard to get into, the way it marries open-world exploration and low-tech combat. What I can promise you is that if you give it time and make the effort, you'll be rewarded with an impressive, enthralling experience.

30. Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition

It might sound crazy, but I love this game. I love the whole action-horror movement that Resident Evil 4 spawned, and I love games that don't hold back with their stories. I will tell you right now that Afterfall's plot makes no drat sense. You will not make sense of it, the characters can't make sense of it, and it will twist and barrel through so many turns that by the end you will wonder if it's really the same game. And if you just let go and tag along for the ride, you might just love it too.

Afterfall is the story of Albert Tokaj, the psychologist for the underground Polish vault community known as Glory. World War Whatever destroyed the surface of the Earth and plucky little Poland was prepared, preserving the last of humanity Fallout-style. But something is happening to the people in the lower levels, and our man Albert gets dragged into it. I'm not going to spoil what happens, but I can assure you that it more than lives up to its name. The writing is really rather good in a charming, imperfect way. Additionally the voice actors seem to have quite a bit of fun with it, and while some of them are rather weak, Albert steals the show with his deadpan delivery and weird sense of humor.

In terms of gameplay, you're looking at Dead Space with a few layers less polish. It's third-person with an emphasis on melee combat. You find a number of firearms over the course of your journey, but there are dozens of melee weapons scattered around you can pick up and use temporarily that prove extremely effective. Melee works on a stamina system, linked to your dodging and running, so you can't just swing wildly and expect to win. It takes a little bit of thought and the hit detection and animations are a bit janky, but once you get the hang of it combat is pretty gratifying.

The graphics are surprisingly good for an indie Eastern European title, and there's a TON of content in this game. Possibly too much... some areas can feel terribly stretched out and fighting the same enemies for so long can get tedious. One section in the middle is particularly difficult and lasts a surprisingly long time, as well. But if you can stick with it, Afterfall really is a gem of a game. The mechanics are solid, the characters are interesting, and the story is audacious in its scope. Everyone should give this a chance at least once.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Is Risk of Rain supposed to suck or is it having issues with its engine overhaul or whatever. I had no fun on the default everything, then I turned on baby mode and I still didn't have fun because every enemy is an enormous bullet sponge even with all the items you collect.

For the record there's apparently a bug right now caused by yesterday's hotfix that breaks levelling up, so while your level goes up, you get neither more damage nor more HP, making the game artificially harder. :haw:

That said, RoR is pretty hard even on the easiest difficulty. The trick is to never stop moving - don't go out of your way to collect anything, just beeline for the teleporter at all times. It's okay to take 30s or so to get a chest after the teleporter's run its course, but you should never go out of your way.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I don't know what you're laughing at, the beta loving owns.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't know what you're laughing at, the beta loving owns.

Uh, DoubleFine's reputation has taken a pretty hard hit in the last year with their "episodic" Broken Age release (i.e they blew way too much money way too quickly and desperately need more cash) and then completely giving up on Spacebase DF-9 after promising a complete game.

Massive Chalice might be great in beta, but there's the chance they just stop development as it and release the game as is as "complete" when the money/time runs out.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Hack N Slash also had a "well this is nice but it's definitely very rough and would have benefited from more time in the oven" reception

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pentyne posted:

Massive Chalice might be great in beta, but there's the chance they just stop development as it and release the game as is as "complete" when the money/time runs out.

That seems unlikely. The entire business concept for Spacebase DF-9 was a self-funding game in the style of Dwarf Fortress. It would continue to be developed so long as people bought it in Early Access. Problem is, people just didn't buy it, and there was no kickstarter to provide an initial budget and/or indication of the potential market.

Massive Chalice is working to a more traditional model, with a mostly-fixed budget that they can plan around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Massive Chalice is working to a more traditional model, with a mostly-fixed budget that they can plan around.

Because again they have recently proven that they are capable of this.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Orv posted:

Because again they have recently proven that they are capable of this.

You're right, Costume Quest 2 just came out with zero launch related issues.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Looking forward to the release of Massive Chalice Part 1 and its attendant kickstarter for more funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Cardiovorax posted:

Reactions in the LotF thread are somewhat less than enthusiastic, let's just say.

Not sure if we're reading the same thread (for reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675844) but apart from technical issue most people seem to enjoy the game :confused:.

• Locked thread