Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I really want to play this, but right now my only working computer is a mac. Any possibility it'll be mac-compatible at some point?

It's written in XNA so not really. I got one of the preview builds to run in wine last year but thus far i have been totally unsuccessful getting the steam version to launch past the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kavros posted:

My favorite roguelike is Dungeon Crawl and the only thing I don't like about it is the handling of hunger levels (so much so that I usually play mummy now just to be done with eating).
Whenever I play Crawl, I generally end up with way more food than I can handle. Is there a particular playstyle you're typically doing?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Crawl's food counter is really only a problem for low int casters. Melee classes and archers should never come close to running out of perma-food.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Can Dungeonmans be played with only a mouse? I'd love to pick it up for my tablet if so.
On paper, yes, but in actual implementation there are still some places where you're gonna wish you had access to the ESC key, and I think the Blacksmith might get stuck without a keyboard. I'll let you know when the UI is improved.

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I really want to play this, but right now my only working computer is a mac. Any possibility it'll be mac-compatible at some point?

andrew smash posted:

It's written in XNA so not really. I got one of the preview builds to run in wine last year but thus far i have been totally unsuccessful getting the steam version to launch past the menu.
Unfortunately, time and money dictate that if I end up porting it to Mac it'll have to be a side project. Smash I didn't realize that the game had stopped functioning in Wine for you, that's unsettling. I apologize!

Anyone else I can disappoint? The day is young!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It is what it is, don't worry about it. I'll either figure it out or put it off until i buy another computer, my mac is aging and i am going to go with a windows machine this time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

It is what it is, don't worry about it. I'll either figure it out or put it off until i buy another computer, my mac is aging and i am going to go with a windows machine this time.

I've been super happy with my dual-boot Hackintosh. Easily-expandable hardware, access to any major OS. Mind, I had a guy build it for me; I personally don't have the hardware chops to tackle a project like that on my own.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Unormal posted:

Olivil, you should be able to test the chugging issue with that build as well, to see if it gets fixed.

Seems like this fixed the problem!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been super happy with my dual-boot Hackintosh. Easily-expandable hardware, access to any major OS. Mind, I had a guy build it for me; I personally don't have the hardware chops to tackle a project like that on my own.

I've been considering trying to wrench some more mileage out of my machine by formatting and throwing a windows 8 boot camp partition onto it, maybe i'll give that a shot sooner rather than later.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Didn't see a thread for it, but Dungeon of the Endless apparently came out a few days ago: http://store.steampowered.com/app/249050/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I saved my twitch broadcast of that game when it was a few versions back: Link. No commentary, just gameplay.

Its a good game, at the very least worth watching a few videos about it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What's that in development game with the phobia mechanics? Like this dude could crack and develop a fear of rats or he could become a RAT DESTROYER. And there was kind of a comic book style?

GalaxyBounce
May 3, 2009

Bogart posted:

What's that in development game with the phobia mechanics? Like this dude could crack and develop a fear of rats or he could become a RAT DESTROYER. And there was kind of a comic book style?

Darkest Dungeon.

It looks nifty.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Humble Bundle is giving out Teleglitch for free right now. There's also a four pack of Risk of Rain in the bundle itself.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

GOD I JUST WANNA PLAY IT SO BAD D:

DeathBySpoon posted:

Humble Bundle is giving out Teleglitch for free right now. There's also a four pack of Risk of Rain in the bundle itself.

Teleglitch is amazing. Go get it.

Risk of Rain is okay but ugh multiplayer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sproggiwood is really fun Unnormal + luke. Nice work! I haven't played a ton of it yet, but I've been enjoying the unlock mechanism. It reminds me a lot of desktop dungeons in that way. Its nice to have a smaller roguelike that I can poke at when I have some time to spare.

Also I pulled a foil card, so yay for some free dollars.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Pladdicus posted:

Teleglitch is amazing. Go get it.

Yes, go get it!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Also for free, Return to Infinite Space is free here

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Since this seems to be the default Sproggiwood thread:

I somehow managed to not unlock the Vampire. When I opened the chest it popped up the "build mansion" or whatever prompt, and I thought I clicked it, but the guy still isn't unlocked. The little blue ghost showed up in my village and talked to me. When I noticed that I didn't unlock the class, I tried building a mansion manually and it is populated by a little vampire guy, but the class is still locked. Help?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

Since this seems to be the default Sproggiwood thread:

I somehow managed to not unlock the Vampire. When I opened the chest it popped up the "build mansion" or whatever prompt, and I thought I clicked it, but the guy still isn't unlocked. The little blue ghost showed up in my village and talked to me. When I noticed that I didn't unlock the class, I tried building a mansion manually and it is populated by a little vampire guy, but the class is still locked. Help?

That is weird!

The quick fix is to open the debug console with rightalt+F12 and execute the command "setintpref U_Class_Vampire 1" (without the quotes, capitalization matters)

e: I assume you're using the default not the beta branch?

Unormal fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 29, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Unormal posted:

That is weird!

The quick fix is to open the debug console with rightalt+F12 and execute the command "setintpref U_Class_Vampire 1" (without the quotes, capitalization matters)

e: I assume you're using the default not the beta branch?

That worked, thanks! I don't think I'm using the beta, it definitely isn't the same version of the game I played a few months ago.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
just downloaded telegitch bc humble bundle

good poo poo, love the visual style

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
if you like teleglitch and haven't played nuclear throne you should give that a shot too, similar concept but it's way more shooty and less survival/crafting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I got Teleglitch with a previous Humble Bundle months ago, but I just can't get into it. The interface is weird and clunky and I can't really figure out what I'm supposed to do. Can someone give me a quick rundown? People seem to like it so much, I feel like I'm missing out.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Cardiovorax posted:

I got Teleglitch with a previous Humble Bundle months ago, but I just can't get into it. The interface is weird and clunky and I can't really figure out what I'm supposed to do. Can someone give me a quick rundown? People seem to like it so much, I feel like I'm missing out.

i've only played like 15 minutes of it so far, but it seems pretty simple to me. the list of poo poo on the left is your inventory, just use your mouse wheel to scroll through it, c to craft poo poo, right click to aim left click to fire. shoot the bad guys.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
IMO the early part of the game is kind of weak because you need to conserve ammo, so you are kind of left with knifing everything to death. And the melee is kind of lovely. Try some basic crafting recipes though, nail bombs are kind of fun.

As you use melee, pay attention to which side of your character the knife comes out on. If you keep that side of your body toward the enemies as you circle and kite them you get a bit more range out of the knife and are less likely to get hit. Its hard as gently caress though, i never really mastered it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a game about slow exploration, and learning the gameplay mechanics to conserve resources. There's a checkpoint system, so don't worry about having to start over every single time from the beginning, the checkpoints start you with some cool gear.

You don't need to fight everything, but learning how to is a big part of success, enemies will hound you for awhile especially when they start getting projectiles.

The interface has some tricks with it, but it's really good once you get the hang of it because it allows you to do things while moving and in the heat of a fight, it's the only reason it's obtuse but it's important that it's like that.

I think the reason it's so liked is because (well it's fun) the atmosphere is fantastic, really great tone and pacing through. Reminds me of a top down DOOM in terms of progression, but very deadspacey/System Shock in terms of gameplay/atmosphere.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Cardiovorax posted:

If you play locally and know how to compile stuff, hacking out hunger is super easy. Doesn't even need coding skills, just one extra line in a specific file.

I am going to try this for the latest build of dungeon crawl! And maybe while I'm at it, hack it so that I can choose which Draconian I'm gonna be.

Also TOME is satisfying so far, even if i'm picking a difficult class to balance early on or statwise.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I see they never bothered to fix the "graphics so terrible it literally hurts your eyes" issue in Teleglitch. Never, ever had this issue with any other game before. I think it's because the rendering engine is just really bad and objects and textures constantly distort and by moving fractional distances whenever the camera moves.

The entire game looks like a really early Playstation 1 3D game where the walls and textures move around depending on what angle you look at them, except it happens a LOT more quickly and is the closest thing I can think of to having your eyes melt off before your face in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 30, 2014

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Mercury_Storm posted:

I see they never bothered to fix the "graphics so terrible it literally hurts your eyes" issue in Teleglitch.

I assume they didn't fix it because that's exactly the look and style they were hoping to achieve.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sinatrapod posted:

I assume they didn't fix it because that's exactly the look and style they were hoping to achieve.

It's bad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Like with many games, if you don't get Teleglitch, it's acceptable to move on. For me, it was very little reward for having to hold down the right mouse button for so drat long. RSI was exacerbated, and there went Teleglitch.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i think it owns, like, when you step into the teleporter and the colorful zaps and poo poo, so tight

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah I gotta say I have no idea what you're talking about with the eye-hurting at all, teleglitch looks loving sweet

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some of the item descriptions in Dungeon of the Endless are great. A T-shirt is a titanium shirt. Tear gas wounds enemies and makes them vulnerable because it tears them apart, not makes them cry.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished a game of Dungeon of the Endless (on Very Easy!) with a friend.

MP is a ton of fun, but be warned you cannot pause and cannot save, and it takes awhile to win.

That aside, if you enjoy thoughtful tower defense with a dash of rpg/rng, give this a go.

It's a lot less roguelike/dungeon crawler, and a lot more tower defense with a very clever skin, but it's quite well executed.

It's also hard as hell, at least as newbies, we failed 6 games on easy before we tried (and beat) very easy (which is a lot easier).

Most important starter tip: Use your heroes to block unpowered rooms from spawning enemies.

My biggest gripe, the pixel art is wonderful, but you're going to spend a ton of time staring at the boring strategic map past the early levels because it's easier to zip around and move heroes where they need to be, which sucks because the art is great.

Ran into a few annoying bugs where we couldn't equip, sell, or buy items, which caused problems.

There's also a fair amount of stuff that isn't immediately obvious or outright confusing, but that should fade with more experience, and most of it is fairly straightforward.

I'd expect we'll do better on the higher difficulties (Easy :v:) once we figure out better combinations of turrets.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

Some of the item descriptions in Dungeon of the Endless are great. A T-shirt is a titanium shirt. Tear gas wounds enemies and makes them vulnerable because it tears them apart, not makes them cry.

The FUUzi, a fuzzy Uzi. :haw: The Six Shooter thats actually eight chambered, the prisoner could only count to six.

And then there is A... Thing, with its description of "smells like rancid pork."

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I can't recall seeing it mentioned here but Coin Crypt (currently 15% off till 4th November) recently came out of early access! Definitely worth a look into due to the coin mechanics where you use the coins as attacks/heal/buffs but also as coins when buying in shops or donating to gods. There are a variety of unlockable characters, sme a lot more challenging than other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3uRKgfR2bA

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I really wanted to like Teleglitch. I didn't manage to because I found knifing and backpedaling to be unfun. You can't even hold your mouse button to stab repeatedly. Shooting was pretty fun, but there isn't a lot of ammo to go around, especially in the beginning, when you're expected to mostly use your knife. And it being a hard game, you have to go through that a lot. I enjoyed the ambiance and graphics, though.

Admittedly, I played it just after a patch that lowered the amount of ammo available in an attempt to make the game harder, and some people were criticizing this change at the time. I don't know if it got better in future patches. I just wish they remade the knife gameplay into something fun and not annoying.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I see they never bothered to fix the "graphics so terrible it literally hurts your eyes" issue in Teleglitch. Never, ever had this issue with any other game before. I think it's because the rendering engine is just really bad and objects and textures constantly distort and by moving fractional distances whenever the camera moves.

The entire game looks like a really early Playstation 1 3D game where the walls and textures move around depending on what angle you look at them, except it happens a LOT more quickly and is the closest thing I can think of to having your eyes melt off before your face in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

You can turn camera turning and the adaptive zooming off, which I think might improve your experience. It makes the camera static. I kind of know how you feel though; I get horrible motion sickness playing Borderlands, and just Borderlands. It's weird and frustrating, having a game you can't play because your head can't handle it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Necrodancer Update!

quote:

Added a level editor! Unlock it by beating zone 3 in normal mode or hardcore mode.
Added a ton of fun achievements!
Added a new music track for when you’re training against enemies and minibosses in the lobby!
Added shopkeeper’s ghost! It’ll appear at some point during the run if you kill the shopkeeper.
Added spooky undead ‘clone' enemies for Aria, Bard, Monk, and Bolt!
Made daggers of phasing and frost each do 3 damage
Removed Teal Scroll (Scroll of Descend) from the game. It makes speedrunning too luck based.
Fixed bug where the beating heart wasn’t always showing up on the Calibration GUI
Made it so unloaded crossbows do the appropriate damage for their material type
Made dagger of frost not melt on hot coals (but fireballs, bombs, etc, still do melt it)
Made hellhounds and fire/ice slimes not destroy trap doors when they fall through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm enjoying Teleglitch, but I have a warning for anyone else who just picked it up:

:frogsiren: Unlike pretty much every other roguelike, Teleglitch does not have mid-level saves. :frogsiren: If you "Save and Quit" between levels, you're fine, but if you quit in mid-level it will immediately and without warning nuke your save.

So if you're having a good run and need to leave the house or go to bed or something, don't do what I did. Just...leave it running in the background for hours, I guess.

Apart from that, and the fact that it's violently, hideously ugly, and the fact that I can't shake the feeling that it would be more fun as a gzDoom mod rather than a top-down shooter, it's pretty fun, though.