Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Master dying, then deciding that where she regenerated must be Heaven seems like too good writing for this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hughesmar posted:

I can't be the only dumbass that thinks Missy is short for Mistress, which is the feminine form of Master, right? Right.

Its just you. No-one else has posted this. No-one. Definitely not all the goddamn time. Goongrats on your definitely original idea

Hughesmar
Dec 22, 2004
I like cheese. Cheese is good. I eat cheese like a good boy should.

Little_wh0re posted:

Its just you. No-one else has posted this. No-one. Definitely not all the goddamn time. Goongrats on your definitely original idea

Feels good, man. Thanks. Five golden manbabies or something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Missy is the Rani. Missy is the Master. Missy is the meddling monk. Missy is Romana. Missy is Borusa. Missy is the War Chief. Missy is the audience. Missy is the Master of the Land of Fiction. Missy is Davros. Missy is John Lumic. Missy is the Myrka. Missy is the Doctor. Missy is the Valeyard. Missy is someone new. Missy is Dodo. Missy is Katarina. Missy is Jamie. Missy is Adric. Missy is Professor Zaroff. Missy is the three Nimon. Missy is that thing from The Invisible Enemy. Missy is a bobcat. Missy is a mass hallucination on the part of the audience and never actually appeared on screen. Missy is man's inhumanity to man. Missy is John Nathan-Turner. Missy is an Ambassador

OF DEATH!. Missy is an episode of Doctor Who: Confidential. Missy is the Time Lash. Missy is Servalan from Blake's Seven. Missy is Blake from Blake's Seven. Missy is Michelle Gomez. Missy is [ad infinitum]

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Missy is [ad infinitum]

Martha Jones. Who is a Rutan.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You can make arguments for any of the above. eg. Missy is Adric: After surviving the crash of the freighter in Earthshock, Adric became obsessed with the people the Doctor let die during his adventures.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'd make an argument for the Myrka but it would just leave a trail of green paint through the thread.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Missy being the Rani would be maybe the one thing more retarded than her actually being Death and/or a Doctor Who Fangirl. Especially since it's being built up to such a big reveal, and because probably 95% of the show's current audience have absolutely no idea who the Rani is (though I'm sure if she is the Rani we'll see a bunch of new show fans claiming they "knew all along!" or something like that).

It'd also be kind of... I guess distasteful, given that when filming the 50th Moffat kept harping on "I don't want to feature the old Doctors because the show is about looking forward, not back!" only to then go on to make the big bad of the next season probably the dumbest possible callback to the old show.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Missy is Ming the Merciless

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Chris Addison posted:

I'd describe Seb in four words: Polite. Charming. Hiding. Something.

A few more of the recent teases this week hint at Seb being much more than he lets on.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

It'd also be kind of... I guess distasteful, given that when filming the 50th Moffat kept harping on "I don't want to feature the old Doctors because the show is about looking forward, not back!" only to then go on to make the big bad of the next season probably the dumbest possible callback to the old show.

Er....distasteful is a really odd word to use.

Also, not using old Doctors in the 50th was obviously because they are all old as dirt now, and a few of them have passed (plus Eccleston was out anyway), so it wouldn't be the same as seeing all the Doctors in their prime come together; the "looking forward" thing was a polite way of dancing around this. And even so, the 50th still featured Tom Baker and a bunch of clips of the old Doctors in the climactic scene. And Moffat has always been about callbacks to the old series, definitely much more than RTD was (I guess with the exception of bringing Sarah Jane back).

Like, I agree with your first point, and most of what people around here say about Moffat, but there is no denying that the guy is absolutely in love with the old series, and wants to call back to it every chance he gets. There is only so much you can do with a bunch of really old actors and dated looking clips, so we mostly see the occasional clip montage (like in the 11th hour and the Name of the Doctor) or monsters/ideas from old serials.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

And Moffat has always been about callbacks to the old series, definitely much more than RTD was (I guess with the exception of bringing Sarah Jane back).

Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, The Master, the Macra, Autons, Sontarans, Nestene Consciousness?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Guy A. Person posted:

(plus Eccleston was out anyway)

And I think we all know why that is...

Is it me or has the overall "arc" just been consisting of clips shorter than Marvel after-credits scenes? Who is Missy? Who cares.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timby posted:

Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, The Master, the Macra, Autons, Sontarans, Nestene Consciousness?

Well, I figured the monsters and general mythos was a given. I am talking more about direct references and allusions to the old Doctors themselves. RTD obviously brought back Sarah Jane, and then there was the notebook from Human Nature/Family of Blood. Moffat has shown the older Doctors on screen in clip form on several occasions (off the top of my head: the 11th Hour, Nightmare in Silver, Name of the Doctor, the 50th) and seems less shy about pointing out that Doctor was 11 other guys previously.

I unfortunately don't know enough about the old series (seen like 10-ish serials and gotten some backstory from a friend) so I might miss direct allusions when/if RTD has done them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Missy is my declining interest in Moffat episodes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

Well, I figured the monsters and general mythos was a given. I am talking more about direct references and allusions to the old Doctors themselves. RTD obviously brought back Sarah Jane, and then there was the notebook from Human Nature/Family of Blood. Moffat has shown the older Doctors on screen in clip form on several occasions (off the top of my head: the 11th Hour, Nightmare in Silver, Name of the Doctor, the 50th) and seems less shy about pointing out that Doctor was 11 other guys previously.

I unfortunately don't know enough about the old series (seen like 10-ish serials and gotten some backstory from a friend) so I might miss direct allusions when/if RTD has done them.

It's not a clip, but this will always be one of my favorite call backs to a previous Doctor.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Missy is the Rani. Missy is the Master. Missy is the meddling monk. Missy is Romana. Missy is Borusa. Missy is the War Chief. Missy is the audience. Missy is the Master of the Land of Fiction. Missy is Davros. Missy is John Lumic. Missy is the Myrka. Missy is the Doctor. Missy is the Valeyard. Missy is someone new. Missy is Dodo. Missy is Katarina. Missy is Jamie. Missy is Adric. Missy is Professor Zaroff. Missy is the three Nimon. Missy is that thing from The Invisible Enemy. Missy is a bobcat. Missy is a mass hallucination on the part of the audience and never actually appeared on screen. Missy is man's inhumanity to man. Missy is John Nathan-Turner. Missy is an Ambassador

OF DEATH!. Missy is an episode of Doctor Who: Confidential. Missy is the Time Lash. Missy is Servalan from Blake's Seven. Missy is Blake from Blake's Seven. Missy is Michelle Gomez. Missy is [ad infinitum]

You had this whole wall of text and you forgot to add "Missy is River". For shame.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOn1nM6MCBQ

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TL posted:

You had this whole wall of text and you forgot to add "Missy is River". For shame.

Um I only made serious suggestions??

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well that doesn't help.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I will never not laugh at Capaldi running.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well that confirms 1) Cybermen are on Missy's side in some nonsense plan of mass grave robbery 2) nothing I guess

I was about to say this means she isn't just a computer simulation like River but we don't know if Doctor is the only one who is seeing her (calling out to everyone else is just acting so he won't catch on to that)

And even if she's the regeneration of a past time lord, Doctor not knowing missy doesn't mean much because of how spotty twelve's memory is.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I didn't think much of this piece of promotional material...

... until my second look at what he has in his hands.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's an Invasion era Cyberhelmet right?

God I love those designs.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Omg, Missy is Handles??

This makes the Doctor mistaking Clara for Handles in the season premiere foreshadowing, instead of just a weird joke.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Omg, Missy is Handles??

This makes the Doctor mistaking Clara for Handles in the season premiere foreshadowing, instead of just a weird joke.

And it puts Time of the Doctor in a new light, knowing that the Doctor and Handles were in a relationship. Haha.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

PantsOptional posted:

I didn't think much of this piece of promotional material...

... until my second look at what he has in his hands.

Seriously, what is up with Capaldi's chin in these promo materials? :confused:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

And even if she's the regeneration of a past time lord, Doctor not knowing missy doesn't mean much because of how spotty twelve's memory is.

All I took from that bit was this:

"When the Thraskan puts his fingers in his ears, it is polite to shout. That's an old Venusian proverb."
"What's a Thraskan?"
"Well, it's an archaic word. The modern equivalent is 'Plinge'."
"And what does Plinge mean?"
"For heaven's sake girl, I've just told you. It means Thraskan."
"Of course."

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can make arguments for any of the above. eg. Missy is Adric: After surviving the crash of the freighter in Earthshock, Adric became obsessed with the people the Doctor let die during his adventures.

You can't mend people!

edit to fix my bad memory of a fantastic character

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 29, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, I thought it was Handles at first glance, but it's clearly an old-school Cyberman. I have no idea what that could mean but I'll be pretty happy if it comes out to anything.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have a secret hope that the cliffhanger for this episode is somehow a reveal of an old-school Tenth Planet Cyberman.

It's not going to happen in a million years, but whatevs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

HD DAD posted:

I have a secret hope that the cliffhanger for this episode is somehow a reveal of an old-school Tenth Planet Cyberman.

It's not going to happen in a million years, but whatevs.

I might actually jump for joy if a Decent Cyberman shows up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be happy with Invasion Cyberman

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Klungar posted:

It looks like they've stitched a mouth and chin from a different picture over that one. Maybe he didn't look grumpy enough in the original.

Michelle Gomez has been airbrushed within an inch of a barbie doll too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Klungar posted:

A really close shave.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

I'd be happy with Invasion Cyberman

You can't help but love those guys.

I always liked the pipes running along their legs. The look just made their outfits really appear to be extreme life support units, including cyber-braces.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

You can't help but love those guys.

I always liked the pipes running along their legs. The look just made their outfits really appear to be extreme life support units, including cyber-braces.

I legitimately prefer them to what we have now.

They looked like body bags forcing the corpse inside to move along. It was fantastic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

I legitimately prefer them to what we have now.

They looked like body bags forcing the corpse inside to move along. It was fantastic.

Yeah, the current Cybermen design is ugly. The face doesn't look like it belongs on the rest of the body and it all basically looks like a poo poo Iron Man suit.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm interested by that clip because it feels like an RTD finale, with the gloating villain revealing some over-the-top plan to take over the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

2house2fly posted:

I'm interested by that clip because it feels like an RTD finale, with the gloating villain revealing some over-the-top plan to take over the earth.

The closer we swing towards RTD the better. Moffat doesn't have another Big Bang in him so we might as well go full RTD instead.

• Locked thread