Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Hamburger Test posted:

Creating the non de-jure titles seem to be a much worse choice in the beta patch. For 9g more I was able to fulfill the become King of Denmark ambition, with a net change of *I think* +2400 prestige, -200 piety, the de jure claims on any missing territory and skipping the need to accumulate 1000 prestige first.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It seems like another one of those 'on-the-whim' implementations from this expansion that don't make any sense to outsiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Whorelord posted:

Is there a way to console myself into Tanistry succession? I'm playing as a Zoroastrian and my sons all own the individual Shahdoms in the Persian Empire, and the idea of this one massive dynasty (Saoshyanid may not be accurate but it's a cool dynasty name) choosing their ruler sounds like it would make for some interesting incest based intrigue.

"succ tanistry" without the quotation marks. But I believe that it will reset to gavelkind (or some other available law) on succession because the game recalculates it on succession and notices it's not available.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That's what happened in my game too. The AI seems to be really terrible at forming the HRE despite being handed the requirements on a silver platter.

How is Charlemagne supposed to easily get Kingdom of Italy?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm playing a welsh ruler from the Charlemagne start date and have really enjoyed converting to Tanistry succession. It gives a mix of having to work around spanners thrown in the gears, while maintaining your dynasty.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Baron Porkface posted:

How is Charlemagne supposed to easily get Kingdom of Italy?

When I played as Charlemagne I got a strong claim on Italy because Karloman's wife fled there. I didn't even have to divorce the Lombard princess.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm playing a welsh ruler from the Charlemagne start date and have really enjoyed converting to Tanistry succession. It gives a mix of having to work around spanners thrown in the gears, while maintaining your dynasty.

Tanistry is interesting as your succession can end up moving horizontally instead of vertically. Though, having two Empires on tanistry is a horrifying nightmare.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Whorelord posted:

Is there a way to console myself into Tanistry succession? I'm playing as a Zoroastrian and my sons all own the individual Shahdoms in the Persian Empire, and the idea of this one massive dynasty (Saoshyanid may not be accurate but it's a cool dynasty name) choosing their ruler sounds like it would make for some interesting incest based intrigue.
Try 'succ tanistry', but I honestly don't know. If that doesn't work try 'charid culture breton' then 'allow_laws' then choose tanistry.

Note, not sure how stable it might be with Tanistry on a non-celtic.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

AdjectiveNoun posted:

When I played as Charlemagne I got a strong claim on Italy because Karloman's wife fled there. I didn't even have to divorce the Lombard princess.

How does Carloman's wife fleeing grant you a claim?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

It just does. It's not always to Italy though - in my Karl game she went to Bavaria so I got a strong claim there instead.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Is there any event to break up Francia if Charlemagne forms it so Europe goes slightly historical?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I started playing the Charlemagne DLC but I didn't actually know which of the two brothers was Charlemagne because I'm bad at history, and I went straight to custom start because I didn't like the big popup box thing, so I guessed the one that had the bigger-looking kingdom. It was Karloman.

Turns out I'm pretty poo poo and my brother has these huge stats, so I guess he's Charlemagne. Whatever. His troop levy is bigger than mine because my vassals all hate me. So I get invaded by Bavaria or something from the east for a single poo poo province, I call Karl to war and let him handle it. He loses 2/3rds of his army fighting in my war, I surrender to Bavaria, then declare war on Karl and crush him with my army because all his troops are dead. poo poo little brother Karloman, King of all Francia in ~3 years. I didn't even know there was an achievement for that.

Karl stayed as Duke of Normandy or wherever and was a huge thorn in my side until I had him beheaded. Pope forgave me for that a couple years later, no hard feelings.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hamburger Test posted:

Creating the non de-jure titles seem to be a much worse choice in the beta patch. For 9g more I was able to fulfill the become King of Denmark ambition, with a net change of *I think* +2400 prestige, -200 piety, the de jure claims on any missing territory and skipping the need to accumulate 1000 prestige first.

For bonus points, as King of Denmark you won't get Danish Liberation revolts, while as King of <Dynasty> you will...

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

ulmont posted:

For bonus points, as King of Denmark you won't get Danish Liberation revolts, while as King of <Dynasty> you will...

Wow, that's even more dumb. Did nobody playtest any of those changes at all? :(

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

It's a story event, because that's sort of what happened IRL. Wikipedia link.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ulmont posted:

No you won't. It automatically De-jures the kingdom from your complete Duchies.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Rumda posted:

Yeah, this sounds like you conquered somewhere else after forming the kingdom, or that you held an incomplete duchy when you formed it (which IIRC wouldn't be de jure shifted).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rumda posted:

Obliterati posted:

Yeah, this sounds like you conquered somewhere else after forming the kingdom, or that you held an incomplete duchy when you formed it (which IIRC wouldn't be de jure shifted).

I was playing a Haesteinn start. I took all of Ireland, formed exactly one duchy, then popped the titular kingdom. After that I got Irish rebellions galore. If I'd taken the King of Ireland title, I wouldn't have gotten that, incomplete duchies or not.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I'm meeting all the requirements to go from a tribe to a merchant republic, all green check marks or whatever but the button is still greyed out for some reason. Tried reloading it and waiting a few months but still nothing. Might just wait a few months to get back into CK2 and hopefully they'll iron all this out.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Trujillo posted:

I'm meeting all the requirements to go from a tribe to a merchant republic, all green check marks or whatever but the button is still greyed out for some reason. Tried reloading it and waiting a few months but still nothing. Might just wait a few months to get back into CK2 and hopefully they'll iron all this out.
Were you an unreformed pagan? They don't want that for some baffling reason.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I know I've said this before, but despite all the complaints that electors "never" pick your chosen successor, I've been able to get my chosen heir elected every generation across four different titles - Emperor of Sicilia, King of Sicily, King of Italy, and King of Africa. My electors usually like me, but they still sometimes vote against me in majority early on in a given ruler's reign. Then as time goes on and my chosen heir gains more prestige (and I give him more land), they end up picking him well before I get worried about succession.

I dunno if this is because I'm using a pre-patch save, but I have the beta activated so any changes should be in effect, right?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Were you an unreformed pagan? They don't want that for some baffling reason.

I was but then I converted to Christianity (was planning on converting back). So if you were an unreformed pagan before you still can't do it? It should really say that.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Schlesische posted:

BBJoey posted:

You mean to tell me there's a way to load games without first going through Single Player -> Custom Game Setup?

There is a Load Game button right next to the Single Player button.

How... How could I have been doing it so wrong for all these years? :negative:

Speaking of an All Tribal map game, how completely and utterly wrong would it be to make a Bronze Age mod? I'm pretty sure it would be all wrong starting with feudalism, but I can't help but feel like you could potentially do it and it would...just...work in the fun sense despite being wrong for the period. Steppe Wolf for CKII.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bel Monte posted:

How... How could I have been doing it so wrong for all these years? :negative:

That's new as of Charlemagne.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Martello posted:

I know I've said this before, but despite all the complaints that electors "never" pick your chosen successor, I've been able to get my chosen heir elected every generation across four different titles - Emperor of Sicilia, King of Sicily, King of Italy, and King of Africa. My electors usually like me, but they still sometimes vote against me in majority early on in a given ruler's reign. Then as time goes on and my chosen heir gains more prestige (and I give him more land), they end up picking him well before I get worried about succession.

I dunno if this is because I'm using a pre-patch save, but I have the beta activated so any changes should be in effect, right?

It's still harder than it used to be, when electors would switch to your choice earlier and require less of them (I used to maintain Norse breeding programmes where I took Genius concubines and kept every single child landless so I could control their marriages and children). Elective is better balanced now in that you run the risk of losing control in the event of a short reign and need to prioritise 'supporting' your chosen heir a bit more: although I've managed to get landless women onto the throne through sheer force of diplomacy, it's harder than it used to be when it was more a case of 'pick whoever, no worries'.

I'm playing a Jewish Abyssinia ironman game right now and I've very nearly lost the throne a bunch of times thanks to illnesses. It's put my breeding programme into a mess and I've had to pass it around to regularly married women a couple of times (but their husbands died in suspicious circumstances so I've got away with it so far). On that point, anyone got any ideas about how to handle the Abbasid blob? Can I take provinces off their neighbours in Arabia without triggering Jihads? The wiki suggests they'd need to lose a holy site but I'm not sure.

Martello posted:

Personally, I like the way Elective is right now, though I hadn't played with it very long before I switched to the patch. I want it to be something of a challenge, not just "pick who I want." If I didn't want to worry about succession at all, I'd just push to High CA and switch to Primo.

Yeah, I'm not complaining: it was arguably broken before, is all.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 29, 2014

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Obliterati posted:

It's still harder than it used to be, when electors would switch to your choice earlier and require less of them (I used to maintain Norse breeding programmes where I took Genius concubines and kept every single child landless so I could control their marriages and children). Elective is better balanced now in that you run the risk of losing control in the event of a short reign and need to prioritise 'supporting' your chosen heir a bit more: although I've managed to get landless women onto the throne through sheer force of diplomacy, it's harder than it used to be when it was more a case of 'pick whoever, no worries'.

Personally, I like the way Elective is right now, though I hadn't played with it very long before I switched to the patch. I want it to be something of a challenge, not just "pick who I want." If I didn't want to worry about succession at all, I'd just push to High CA and switch to Primo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The more I play Ultimo the more I like it. Either your heir survives regency, in which case he's already getting Long Reign bonuses by the time he turns 16 or shortly after, or he doesn't, in which case everything melts down into a hilarious clusterfuck.

The downside is you don't get to pick who educates you so you usually end up with lovely traits. But on the plus side you're set up to have a decades-long reign during which to work on improving them, which can be an interesting way to play.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

The more I play Ultimo the more I like it. Either your heir survives regency, in which case he's already getting Long Reign bonuses by the time he turns 16 or shortly after, or he doesn't, in which case everything melts down into a hilarious clusterfuck.

The downside is you don't get to pick who educates you so you usually end up with lovely traits. But on the plus side you're set up to have a decades-long reign during which to work on improving them, which can be an interesting way to play.

You know you can imprison your wife or marry your heirs to someone like 10 years older than them so you don't have to worry about a 2 year old that you can't tailor an education for inheriting the throne, right?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Or you can give him to someone awesome to educate, and make them the Designated Regent. At least, I'm assuming that works because I've never tried it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Volkerball posted:

You know you can imprison your wife or marry your heirs to someone like 10 years older than them so you don't have to worry about a 2 year old that you can't tailor an education for inheriting the throne, right?

Of course. But sometimes--usually at the worst possible time, because CK2--your ruler randomly gets ill and dies at 33 six months after his latest son's birth.

Tangent: Has anyone else noticed a significantly higher rate of people dying a natural death in their 40s or "of poor health" even though they aren't Weak or anything in their 20s and 30s since the CM patch? Or is it just RNG gonna RNG?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Of course. But sometimes--usually at the worst possible time, because CK2--your ruler randomly gets ill and dies at 33 six months after his latest son's birth.

Yeah that stuff happens every now and again. Just making sure you weren't popping out kids with a mistress and your 22 year old third wife when you're 70 on ultimo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah, on Ultimo I usually try to marry someone about 10 years older than myself, which if you betroth your heir when he's still a toddler is way easier than it should be (AI is often willing to accept betrothals of 15 year old girls to 2 year old boys, which a human would never do).

And occasionally your would-be heir dies in childhood, or perhaps two of them do, or perhaps THREE OF THEM DO :mad: but the point is that one person inherits everything and they're usually not already 40 when they inherit, which is good.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just got the demon spawn event for the first time, for a heir that is also genius, strong, brave and whatnot. He got awesome stats, but so does his brother (who is not a demon spawn, but also genius, ambitious etc - I got very lucky). I can easily choose either one since Im a muslim.

What should I do? Choosing the demon spawn one seems to be the fun choice, but Im a little afraid of the consequences.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
gently caress the consequences, the demon spawn is the only correct choice. My first game after Charlemagne released I ended up playing as the demon spawn son of Karloman and it was glorious. It's basically just free license to go hog wild with evil, I spent pretty much my entire reign fighting/imprisoning/torturing my dukes to death. And the character who inherits after the demon spawn dies is also special, roleplaying as someone following in the footsteps of such an evil man hated by everyone is really fun.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to raise crown authority from autonomous vassals to low crown authority for the Empire of Scandinavia, but it seems very difficult. I had a ruler with +20 long reign, everyone loved him, but he couldn't get more than 80/206 votes. Right now the empire encompasses all of Scandinavia, Lithuania, Germany, Poland, Pomerania, and whatever Hungary is called right now. I'm a reformed germanic pagan, feudal, and almost all of my vassals are feudal now as well.

Any tips? Also, playing current beta patch.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah, pick the demonspawn. Also, you're Muslim, which means you can take all three witches as your wives :getin:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How's playing as an Islamic leader with the latest beta? I heard decadence was hosed pretty bad with CM. I'm yet to try it and I was thinking it might be fun to finally try playing Islamic, but if decadence is horribly broken and it's not really playable at the moment, then I'll skip.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just got the demon spawn event for the first time, for a heir that is also genius, strong, brave and whatnot. He got awesome stats, but so does his brother (who is not a demon spawn, but also genius, ambitious etc - I got very lucky). I can easily choose either one since Im a muslim.

What should I do? Choosing the demon spawn one seems to be the fun choice, but Im a little afraid of the consequences.

It depends. The only time I had it fire, I was playing the Byzantines pre-CM; when demon spawn took the throne, factions went up like crazy, but he just started revoking duchies and giving them to another count, who was happy as a clam to be granted a duchy. There was a revolt but retinues + the three witches took them out easily, and that emperor ended up conquering most of Europe (he'll get "gets military advice from someone" which gave him 40+ martial) and living crazy old so basically everyone loved him with the long reign bonus. The hard part is really when he takes the throne but what's new?

I suppose you could prepare by getting as many content people in positions of power as possible, and not create dukes unless you absolutely need to so your heir can get the "granted duchy" bonus which will help prevent them from joining independence/claimant factions.

It's high-risk, high-reward and a lot of fun. Go for it.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, pick the demonspawn. Also, you're Muslim, which means you can take all three witches as your wives :getin:

Won't they start trying to kill each other to get first wife?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

shortspecialbus posted:

How's playing as an Islamic leader with the latest beta? I heard decadence was hosed pretty bad with CM. I'm yet to try it and I was thinking it might be fun to finally try playing Islamic, but if decadence is horribly broken and it's not really playable at the moment, then I'll skip.

You misunderstood. Decadence is broken because it is trivial to keep it in check. You only generate decadence due to certain even choices or having bad traits on your ruler, or by having relatives with the "decadent" trait. The latter is the source of 95% of your decadence gain. You can ask these decadent relatives to "straighten up", which is either successful and removes the decadent trait or it is unsuccessful and you can imprison them for free (imprisoned relatives never generate decadence). You could only ask each relative once in his lifetime to straighten up, and they would often wind up decadent again after straightening up, with no easy way to deal with them.

In the newest patch you can ask a relative to straighten up every 7 days, which for all intents and purposes removes decadence as a concern for all Muslims. Which is the reason why the AI Muslims go on a unstoppable rampage, foremost of all the Abbasids. If you want to play eaysmode Islam, now is your chance.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Torrannor posted:

You misunderstood. Decadence is broken because it is trivial to keep it in check. You only generate decadence due to certain even choices or having bad traits on your ruler, or by having relatives with the "decadent" trait. The latter is the source of 95% of your decadence gain. You can ask these decadent relatives to "straighten up", which is either successful and removes the decadent trait or it is unsuccessful and you can imprison them for free (imprisoned relatives never generate decadence). You could only ask each relative once in his lifetime to straighten up, and they would often wind up decadent again after straightening up, with no easy way to deal with them.

In the newest patch you can ask a relative to straighten up every 7 days, which for all intents and purposes removes decadence as a concern for any Muslims. Which is the reason why the AI Muslims go on a unstoppable rampage, foremost of all the Abbasids. If you want to play eaysmode Islam, now is your chance.

Oh. I really don't, so I'll just police myself not to do that. Thanks for the clarification - I did misunderstand. Now to figure all the rest of the stuff out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I was so scared to raid as a Germanic because boats are incredibly expensive and I make no money thanks to being tribal.

Then I made 400 CrusaderBux in the span of 8 months and suddenly it's all raiding all the time.

• Locked thread