Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The thing about shape is isn't doesn't exist in a vacuum. My favourite is the box shape (2x2 grid of one-space jumps, like table shape but with the connected stones separated instead) but you can't just say that's a "good shape," it all depends on what you did to form it and what the context is. It can be better than either the table or sake bottle shape provided that you can get one of the corners as a kind of kikashi. I also like the big bulge (keima-keima-ogeima triangle) and big table (box but with one corner shifted out one more line) shapes... in general, I like loose, two-dimensional, lattice-like shapes because they provide maximum flexibility later on... attacking that kind of shape is like punching a rope, pretty much... unless you've got a wall right behind it to sever it against, it's just going to swing away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
xopods your supposed to post pictures.

whats this one, spaceship? i like this one

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

pyf shape

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

motherfuckers will invariably say my poo poo is overconcentrated

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Only the manliest of shapes here:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

Alright alright... here is a meta-shape. A meta-big bend made out of a box shape, a big bend and a big table.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

whats this one, spaceship? i like this one

Turtle shell.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

You won't see one in the wild, unless it's surrounded by white stones and invariably open to losing its eye

go always sounds cool out of context

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

You won't see one in the wild, unless it's surrounded by white stones and invariably open to losing its eye

go always sounds cool out of context

Also important to remember with turtle shell and ponnuki that they're only good shape when formed by capture. They're actually very inefficient shapes to make with four and six stones respectively, but when you count the captures they actually reflect net investments of only three and four stones, which is why they're so great. Essentially, they're not really examples of good shape, but rather illustrations of why capturing stones is good.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I, too, have been chastisedfor calling diamonds ponnukis.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

So I got "Inspiration of Pro" today and its great. Full board problems taken from top modern games, punishingly difficult for my level but the solutions are so inspiring. Recommended...

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

White just played 1. what the gently caress you gonna do

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

If I were to try to think of a brilliant pro move that is simple, elegant, and emphasises a global > local strategy that no one saw coming.......

J13.

If it were me in a real game I would be trying to find a way to live, not find it, play out 20 moves trying to find it and then resign when I couldn't.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

There is a way to live. But it's not easy and I still don't quite get the solution the book proposes.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My ideas:
1) resign
2) tenuki
3) try for some crazy desperate capturing race. Maybe starting at f15.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

o.m. 94 posted:

There is a way to live. But it's not easy and I still don't quite get the solution the book proposes.

I bet it's some bullshit move like e15

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
30 seconds of thinking yielded G14. It has some threats so maaaaybe it works?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

lmao i transcribed the problem wrong. Boy is my face red

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

lmao i transcribed the problem wrong. Boy is my face red

Have you corrected it now or is it still wrong?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Here is the corrected image. Best of luck,

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I fear for the safety of the white group on the right.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

o.m. 94 posted:

Here is the corrected image. Best of luck,

D18, G19?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

D18, G19?

I feel the sequence D18, D17, C17, B18 will end badly for black. White will have 4 stones, and that's too many liberties to attempt whatever you call it when both sides of 3 stones are cut and you can't escape.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

D18 and B18 would be the only moves I'd look at in a real game but have a feeling it's going to be something absurd like somehow you get G15, E15, C15 and D14 and it turns into a double ko to live or some poo poo. I hate difficult tsumego.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

I fear for the safety of the white group on the right.

This is also a sensible thing to be looking at in a real game, but if it's tsumego and not a direction of play problem, sacrificing your group and swallowing them up is not a "solution."

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

D18 and B18 would be the only moves I'd look at in a real game but have a feeling it's going to be something absurd like somehow you get G15, E15, C15 and D14 and it turns into a double ko to live or some poo poo. I hate difficult tsumego.

If you play B14 you can escape out that little hole in white; not sure if that even helps. :shrug: B18 as I see it only gives you one eye.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Are we sure B18 is not a viable first move for Black

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

Are we sure B18 is not a viable first move for Black

I would be more likely to start with B18 than B14 as it's definitely sente, whereas B14 could potentially be answered with B17.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Since the last "Let's get people into Go" thread was made about a year ago, what do we think about making a new one in GBS even if the old one isn't in archives yet?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The imaginary approval for you actions rests on your ability to write an appealing thread

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

The imaginary approval for you actions rests on your ability to write an appealing thread

I did not intend to do it as I am not as good a writer as Oiseaux. :)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Word

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i think its a good idea. i will post dumb things so people know you dont have to be smart to play.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonopus/cartographytm-make-your-mark-on-the-maptm

territory capturing board game based on go but on a map?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Make sure it has plenty of go rage pics.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
so is someone going to make it or not. also xopods you are the board game expert, what you think of that one i posted

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sounds interesting, but doesn't seem to have been playtested/independently reviewed enough. I'd be wary.

If you want a game that has Go mechanics but is a different game entirely, Washington's War is weirdly awesome. It's a cross between a wargame and Go (about the American Revolution of course). You flip cities to your side by conquering them, but if a group of cities has no liberties (neutral cities connected to its blob), the whole thing will flip to the other guy. I played it with a guy who was a big wargame nerd (I don't play many wargames), but he had minimal Go experience and I absolutely crushed him as the British using basic Go strategy. It's just such an unusual mashup though. I really want to play again, but as the Americans this time, because they play very differently, as is usually the case with wargames.

xopods fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 3, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The most unexpected surprise to ever surprise the go world happened.
Soon hell will freeze over and Winds of Winter will be released.
Stone-sound is back on KGS.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

tonberrytoby posted:

:vince:

Xom fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

àeáàaaaaaaâäæàaaaaaaa