Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Dexo posted:

But yeah, I was mostly just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Wards escape(if not the particulars) was a plan by those two.

I'd be surprised. Coulson views his team as a little family, and Ward betrayed his family. I can't really buy that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Slamhound posted:

So what are the odds that the Ward family is Hydra, with the brothers playing a long game where they can stake out any position for or against?

I like this idea. The entire Ward family is HYDRA, each trying to out evil and out crazy the rest.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Coulson might use him with the lure of being back on the team, then betray him after he gets what he wants. That'd be neat.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kheldarn posted:

I like this idea. The entire Ward family is HYDRA, each trying to out evil and out crazy the rest.

The brother trapped in the well is the craziest and most evil of all of them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Dexo posted:

The brother trapped in the well is the craziest and most evil of all of them.

Well-bro is Skye's dad.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Timby posted:

Too early to tell. Last week was a series low, ratings-wise, at 1.7 in the demo, and last night's rating was a very, very tiny improvement (a tenth of a point). It's not hanging by a thread or anything like that, but I can't imagine ABC is thrilled that Flash and Arrow are getting the same demo ratings with probably a third of the budget of SHIELD.

I doubt the show is in any real danger at this point, though, since Marvel announced like ten new movies yesterday, leading off with Civil War in a year and a half, and I'm sure Disney will want a TV presence in support of everything.

It's a pity the start of season 1 was so terrible, it turned a lot of people off and it was really only the tie in's that drew me back. Less nerdier people are probably less likely to care about the tie in's either.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I watched it on the bus to work this morning and must have gotten the ending completely wrong. I thought older Ward was talking about how younger Ward had magical powers when he was saying something about his eyes being black. And I thought the ending was him escaping with super powers cause he took a breath and his eyes went black and all of a sudden he slipped through the cuffs.

I mean small phone screen and all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scapegoat posted:

It's a pity the start of season 1 was so terrible, it turned a lot of people off and it was really only the tie in's that drew me back. Less nerdier people are probably less likely to care about the tie in's either.

That "This is a disaster / no, it's an origin story" line in the pilot just loving broke me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I really hope the Senator is really telling the truth and Ward is totally bat poo poo crazy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Deadpool posted:

Well Flash is getting close but is not averaging quite as well as this. And Arrow is several tenths of a point lower. With the ABC average being so low and Disney/Marvel looking to push it there's a more than decent chance it gets renewed unless the ratings crater.

If they decide to remove it from ABC, I wonder if Disney would be willing to work a Netflix-type deal with future seasons of Peggy Carter/SHIELD with someone like Amazon. They could still do the weekly release and ensure there's a tie in for the movies still running.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

imperialparadox posted:

I'd be surprised. Coulson views his team as a little family, and Ward betrayed his family. I can't really buy that happening.

I think there was at least some ambiguity with coulson looking at wards folder just before the escape. I'm not sure I buy that he engineered the escape from custody, but if they for example say that coulson anticipated that it was a possibility, secretly implanted a tracker in ward and then waited to see what ward would do (as a test of his sincerity in claiming to be on their side again), I wouldnt think it came from nowhere either.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

But yeah, I was mostly just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Wards escape(if not the particulars) was a plan by those two.

imperialparadox posted:

Coulson didn't make plans with Ward; if it was up to him, he'd nutpunch Ward so hard his balls fly out his nose, then off him. But still, maybe Coulson did intend for him to escape. A subdermal tracking device maybe?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Honestly I'd be happy with any of these theories. I'd be happy if Ward's brother is a complete psycho. I'd be happy if Ward was a complete psycho. I'd be happy if Ward does the right thing and I'd be happy if he worked with Coulson.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Windows 98 posted:

Honestly I'd be happy with any of these theories. I'd be happy if Ward's brother is a complete psycho. I'd be happy if Ward was a complete psycho. I'd be happy if Ward does the right thing and I'd be happy if he worked with Coulson.

Now I want well brother to show up and be completely normal and well adjusted.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ward's really reminding me of Dennis Reynolds right now for some reason. I hope he goes undercover as a woman, is applying lipstick in the mirror, still has a full beard, and is saying "You'll see Coulson, I haven't even begun to peak. And when I do peak, you'll know. Because I'm gonna peak so hard everyone in Midgard will feel it."

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Teek posted:

If they decide to remove it from ABC, I wonder if Disney would be willing to work a Netflix-type deal with future seasons of Peggy Carter/SHIELD with someone like Amazon. They could still do the weekly release and ensure there's a tie in for the movies still running.

Last I checked, Disney still had their own broadcast network. The only reason ABC is even a necessary part of the equation is presumably to grab a wider audience than what cable would provide.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timby posted:

That "This is a disaster / no, it's an origin story" line in the pilot just loving broke me.

Yeah but that's a self aware line from the nerd character.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

In case anyone in Canada, or other parts of the world, still haven't seen it, this is the Age Of Ultron teaser that was shown near the end of last night's episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The movement of the hammer is really subtle on a small screen. I imagine in theatres it'll be more obvious that's what's happening.

Also marks the second Avengers movie in a row where Hemsworth's big moment seems to be emoting to a hammer. (The beat where it won't just fly to him, and he doubts himself in the first movie is great)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I'm pretty certain Coulson intended for him to escape, otherwise they would have secured him with more than just standard handcuffs.
It remains to be seen if it was planned with Ward. It has also not been shown that he killed any of the guards.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

EricFate posted:

Last I checked, Disney still had their own broadcast network. The only reason ABC is even a necessary part of the equation is presumably to grab a wider audience than what cable would provide.

Disney have several broadcast networks.

ABC is one of them. If Disney want shield to carry on it carries on. The MCU is such a money spinner they'd be crazy cancelling it.

When will we get a SHIELD infinity play set?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's a given, surely?

I'm amazed at how much better this show has gotten. Also James Spader as Ultron is hilarious. Almost every casting choice they've gone with in the Marvel movies have been superb (Jeremy Renner doesn't seem like a great hawkguy to me but there's still time).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Spader as Ultron instantly had my attention.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think that the idea that Coulson is working with Ward or intended for him to escape is completely insane.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Neither of them did anything to me. They just kept making up worse and worse stories to get the other one in trouble."

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'd be more interested if the third brother's name was Terrance

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Teek posted:

Disney worked a massive deal with Netflix that will have a ton of its movies and shows on their service, plus five exclusive Marvel series. If Disney pulls AoS off of ABC (because they can make more money in the time slot with something else) then it will likely end up on Netflix if they are going to bother keeping up with it at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bruceski posted:

"Neither of them did anything to me. They just kept making up worse and worse stories to get the other one in trouble."

That's a plot twist I can get behind.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Some gifs from the episode:

Hunter and Bobbi are the best. :allears:

I thought it was some neat cinematography to have the back of the chair be framed as bars for Ward's cell.

Ward's "Oh poo poo" face is fantastic.

Sad that they didn't go for Total Elimination. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy playing Hunter has the full Mortal Kombat sweep going there.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Bobbi's towel flick and 180 beat down have quite the safety distance for the stunt people!

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Lady Galaga posted:

Bobbi's towel flick and 180 beat down have quite the safety distance for the stunt people!

She trained under Luke Skywalker!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The end of the scene was Ward grabbing a gun, pointing it, and a gunshot sound. Unless it gets revealed he shot the lock on the truck or something, that would be a dumb thing to have as a fakeout.

I'm gonna assume they stuck a tracking device up his rear end or something long ago since him escaping isn't the least plausible thing to happen to them in any given week. Phil heading down to deliver the final "gently caress you, you'll never be one of us again" might've been meant to goad him into escaping, since he's likely to lead them to SOMETHING they want to blow up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

While the double shot was the funniest move, I was pretty impressed by Hunter breaking that HYDRA gal's jump kick with a chair. It felt very "Yeah, sorry babe, I ain't got time for that poo poo. Eat chair."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Javid posted:

The end of the scene was Ward grabbing a gun, pointing it, and a gunshot sound. Unless it gets revealed he shot the lock on the truck or something, that would be a dumb thing to have as a fakeout.

He fired the bullet back in time to kill the dog.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

For some reason I really like the stuntwork here with the guy hitting the ground hard. It really sells May's kick as devastating.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

imperialparadox posted:

Part of the reason I believe Ward is that he was very loyal to Garret. And he's also been very loyal to Skye. And now, in his own twisted way, he regrets that conflict of loyalty.

It doesn't mesh up with the older Ward's description of him at all. Again, I think Ward is definitely a villain or sorts yet and is a bad guy, but in this particular case, I think he's probably 100% accurate.

ED: Also Garret and Ward's discussion about his family before he got broke out of jail. I will be shocked if it turns out younger Ward is the one lying here.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I watched a cherry picked list of episodes from S1 and just caught up to all of S2. Pretty good show! I'm happy Talbot seems to finally be cooperating.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just like the Hydra variant at the end of "Turn, Turn, Turn", I like when they manipulate the logo to fit the theme of the episode.

The Yellow Ant posted:

She trained under Luke Skywalker!

Makes sense, since she is a Star Wars fan. :v:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

I watched a cherry picked list of episodes from S1 and just caught up to all of S2. Pretty good show! I'm happy Talbot seems to finally be cooperating.

I've been thinking about giving this another try, but don't know if I can stand a whole season as bad as the first 2-3 episodes - what's this cherry picked list of episodes?

• Locked thread