Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

also what's the deal with literally every company out there being a "B2B marketing analytics firm""

you see when a dumb social startup gets xx million in venture capital they need to figure out some sort of marketing plan. these companies bleed those startups dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Brain Candy posted:

you would send out your resume, just like you should do yesterday

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

hobbesmaster posted:

you see when a dumb social startup gets xx million in venture capital they need to figure out some sort of marketing plan. these companies bleed those startups dry

so a sustainable industry, then

how soul sucking is the work at that kind of company? i'm at a really cool company that does tons of good poo poo (tm) in the developing world and if it weren't for the fact that they underpay i'd stay here forever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
all work is soul-sucking, that's why they have to pay you to do it

work-like activities that are intrinsically rewarding are either practically unpaid or actually cost you money per hour

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

work-like activities that are intrinsically rewarding are either practically unpaid or actually cost you money per hour

lmbo u have a lovely job

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I updated my resume on monster and I've gotten four recruiter voicemails so far today aaaaaag my phone

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
in order to get a thing to build, i need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib. that works, but now apache can't load that module unless it also has LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in its environment. but there are web pages where people talk about how LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the wrong thing, and you should use LDFLAGS instead. but the first few pages like this are talking about solaris, and then something called "rpath" gets involved, and i'm all confused :psyduck:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

prefect posted:

in order to get a thing to build, i need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib. that works, but now apache can't load that module unless it also has LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in its environment. but there are web pages where people talk about how LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the wrong thing, and you should use LDFLAGS instead. but the first few pages like this are talking about solaris, and then something called "rpath" gets involved, and i'm all confused :psyduck:

are you sure you're not using Go?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that was one nice thing about solaris, you could have the LD_LIBRARY_PATH directories added into the compiled binary so that you didn't have to have the right poo poo set later

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

ld_library_path is a sick and disgusting hack. and it is automatically (deliberately) broken for the root user. don't do that

the correct way to do this is to use the "-rpath" option to gcc, which specifies the runtime search path for libraries. this is mandatory on solaris and optional on linux, and imho it is the only sane way to compile things

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
linux precedence order for runtime paths, off the top of my head:

1. LD_LIBRARY_PATH, if you are not root
2. the rpath variables hardcoded into the binary
3. generic library paths in ld.so.conf

unless you are working for a linux distribution, you should pretty much never be using 1 or 3

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

prefect posted:

gently caress developers who make code publicly available without meaningful documentation :argh:

agreeing with the "no, gently caress YOU" guy

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux precedence order for runtime paths, off the top of my head:

1. LD_LIBRARY_PATH, if you are not root
2. the rpath variables hardcoded into the binary
3. generic library paths in ld.so.conf

unless you are working for a linux distribution, you should pretty much never be using 1 or 3

how about setting LD_RUN_PATH while building? :ohdear:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

LD_RUN_PATH sets your rpath during the build, so you should be good

e2: mdf12!

Brain Candy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 28, 2014

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

a thing is being given me to use that's build around glib, how much am i going to suffer trying to deal with that

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

a thing is being given me to use that's build around glib, how much am i going to suffer trying to deal with that

in particular i wanna write a c++ class to wrap around and call a bunch of c functions all of which are in a g_main_loop_run and dang i can just feel the threads bubbling up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fritz posted:

in particular i wanna write a c++ class to wrap around and call a bunch of c functions all of which are in a g_main_loop_run and dang i can just feel the threads bubbling up

you should just have the one gui thread if you just have a g_main_loop_run

compared to qt, .net or java gtk is pretty... uh, backward?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

you should just have the one gui thread if you just have a g_main_loop_run

compared to qt, .net or java gtk is pretty... uh, backward?

it's for reading stuff from hardware and im gonna have a couple different things built on it, only one of which is a gui

there's no actual gui stuff in the code ive been given, the g_main_loop looks to just continually query the hardware

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
thanks for the advice -- i was able to get it all working without feeling too much shame :unsmith:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

the other extremum of this project i just talked to the guy and he's pushing really hard for me to do everything in visual studio so that it makes things easy on him and im like: nope

(but it looks like cmake will play nicely with some older version of visual studio build files ???)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cmake will make a vs2013 solution and projects for you if you have it installed, its pretty great

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

cmake will make a vs2013 solution and projects for you if you have it installed, its pretty great

this is the first project ive used it on where ive written my own cmakelists.txt and : dang yeah I dont wanna have to write another makefile ever again

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

oh man

it's "Just Works"

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Crosspostin' from the get a (better) job megathread:

quote:

Take the set 1, 2, 3,... 9. Using operations of addition, subtraction, or concatenation, find sequences that sum to 100. That is, "1 + 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 + 6 + 78 + 9" is a correct answer; 7 and 8 were concatenated into 78.

We got to generating all 9 digit base 3 numbers (where 0 is subtract, 1 add, 2 concatenate) and throwing them into a function which would just compute the operations over the sequence to brute force. But how would you NOT brute force it?

I thought start with 1 or 12. I can then add or subtract 2 or 23, and go from there. This would build a quad-tree. Is there a way to dynamically work through the tree and know if it's a waste of time to continue down a branch, if you kept track of what you've already added up to, and what further down would add to, if it would overshoot 100?

Given this problem space, is the quad-tree a good start? Is it really possible to optimize in that way?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gently caress them posted:

Given this problem space, is the quad-tree a good start? Is it really possible to optimize in that way?

what, like in an interview? given that in an interview, stand up and leave

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pee straight up into the air

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

write a fizzbuzz solution on the board

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

forgive me if im an idiot, but there are infinite solutions to this problem are there not?

trivially we need x and y where x - y = 100

if we are allowed concatenation x and y can be any integer

blah blah some maths poo poo, there are an infinite amount of x and y to satisfy this req.

even if u take the maximum size of an integer into acount u can go infititely outwards adding terms of ( + x - x) ad infinitum

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

blah blah some maths poo poo, there are an infinite amount of x and y to satisfy this req.

don't post my homework answers

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Bloody posted:

Oh the dude didn't solve it or expect me to. He asked how I'd approach it with pseudocode, and liked my strategy. I'm just chewing on it because my brain is still turned on.

bobbilljim posted:

forgive me if im an idiot, but there are infinite solutions to this problem are there not?

trivially we need x and y where x - y = 100

if we are allowed concatenation x and y can be any integer

even if u take the maximum size of an integer into acount u can go infititely outwards adding terms of ( + x - x) ad infinitum

No, I explained badly.

It's the sequence (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9), inclusive, in that order. Your operations are add, subtract, and concatenate, that is:

(1 + 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 + 6 + 78 + 9) is valid, since I concatenate 7 and 8 to make 78. Also, it adds up to 100.

So basically it's (1 + 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 C 8 +9) where "C" is "concatenate".

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bloody posted:

pretty much this unless you want to work with the kind of insufferable shitbag who thinks this is a reasonable interview question

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

rotor posted:

pretty much this unless you want to work with the kind of insufferable shitbag who thinks this is a reasonable interview question

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

It's the sequence (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9), inclusive, in that order. Your operations are add, subtract, and concatenate, that is:

(1 + 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 + 6 + 78 + 9) is valid, since I concatenate 7 and 8 to make 78. Also, it adds up to 100.

So basically it's (1 + 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 C 8 +9) where "C" is "concatenate".

oh lol in that case brute forcing it is probably as good a way as any but if you wanted something that would scale well up to larger sequences then thats above my pay grade

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

rotor posted:

He just wanted me to talk about how I'd try to solve it, not actually DO it. And liked how I did.

I was just wondering if that was the right way, the quad expression tree thing :smith:

bobbilljim posted:

oh lol in that case brute forcing it is probably as good a way as any but if you wanted something that would scale well up to larger sequences then thats above my pay grade

Bruting it isn't that hard, it's just 3^9. :downs: 19683 permutations!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

He just wanted me to talk about how I'd try to solve it, not actually DO it. And liked how I did.

I was just wondering if that was the right way, the quad expression tree thing :smith:

Bruting it isn't that hard, it's just 3^9. :downs: 19683 permutations!

so a few milliseconds of computation at most, neat

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Bloody posted:

so a few milliseconds of computation at most, neat

Yeah but what if you wanted to extend it, or just understand it?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah but what if you wanted to extend it, or just understand it?

buy bigger computers

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Bloody posted:

buy bigger computers

So nobody in the workplace ever does their own dynamic programming you just see someone else's implementation who is still in school or doing a thesis?

:downs:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

buy bigger computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

haha

• Locked thread