Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

duz posted:

Turns out I needed 5G free on the drive I have TF2 installed to (my ssd) for it to stop doing that.
I have about 50 giga (is that what the kids call it these days? Or is it "g"?) free on that drive. Anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Xander77 posted:

I have about 50 giga (is that what the kids call it these days? Or is it "g"?) free on that drive. Anything else?

Is it the update screen you get when you try to launch the game with the checkbox to have it launch automatically when its complete? Mine was resetting and I just clicked play game and it launched.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

These Halloween events have been real hit or miss, huh.

Harvest and Lakeside were the best ones, Eyeaduct could have kept the KOTH legacy alive but it was notable for being experimental with the whole boss thing. Manor looks nice but its still a slog of a map (great for screenshots though) and Hightower was a decent brainless DM map for farming lots of presents on. If they just stick with spooky KOTH maps that would probably be the best for the future.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

helltower was probably one of the most fun times i've spent in the game mainly because you could just goof off and not really care all that much while getting to use cool spell stuff

this year's event event isn't exactly terrible but i genuinely don't like playing special delivery

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xander77 posted:

Given that your crafting is also broke, either your entire TF2 install is borked or something else in your machine is.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Xander77 posted:

gigs

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

pigs

"Benny, slop s'more hogs onta the mobo, this puppy's been runnin' slower'n a Heavy hit by the Sandman!"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

helltower was probably one of the most fun times i've spent in the game mainly because you could just goof off and not really care all that much while getting to use cool spell stuff

this year's event event isn't exactly terrible but i genuinely don't like playing special delivery

to add onto this, i know that people rag on hightower all the time for some very valid reasons but it was legit one of the best possible map choices for a goofy event mode purely because it's set up so well for casual play. doomsday is really lacking in comparison because it's a worse map overall and the 'tower ascending' gimmick when trying to score is more aggravating for both teams for multiple reasons. at least on hightower there's a fair bit of normal leadup to the final bit instead of people frantically trying to navigate around a janky as poo poo, segmented map while about 2/3rds of everyone is milling around the rocket while a hive of minisentries plinks away at anything that breathes.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
My verdict:

- Poor choice of map, gets shut down so easily with mini-sentries.
- Not much going on halloween-wise. Helltower had a more halloween feel with the magic bridge and skeletons running round everywhere. This map feels way stingier with the spells, and mainly just plays out like a normal game of SD.
- The gameplay is just bog-standard doomsday in the large, until that spell thing which is ok sometimes, except when sentries are allowed in no-gun mode.
- The carts are a real bitch to control, way too slidy and the digital controls suck. Would be better if you could steer with the mouse.
- In the carts I only seem to get the parachute spell which is useless.
- The map is unbalanced, the blu side doesn't have an ammo pack next to the big health behind the rock.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Doomsday is just such a garbage map, what even happened there? Most of the map is barely used because there's no reason to ever go there.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

You can boost with right-click in the karts. Took me several rounds to figure out and it looks like not many people know about it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I don't know why they chose to do anything with Doomsday besides stick in the garbage. Bumper Soccer is kinda fun, though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

My verdict.

The map is funny and looks cool., The scout poster "The pitiful Man-Child" made me laugh
Merasmus lines are hilarious.
Bumper cars are fun except for the one where you just gotta knock people off the stage, that takes to long.

Chill out guys, you take halloween too seriously.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

None of the achievements do anything except for the "Win all three bumper car games at least once" one, which grants a second cauldron of items. Worth knowing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Chill out guys, the map isn't actually fun to play on but it's halloween so don't talk about it. Holiday cheer.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I think it's a poo poo map and the mario kart section would be far better if it was a simple 2-lap race on a proper track and everything didn't handle like brick on an ice rink.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Dr. Dos posted:

Is it the update screen you get when you try to launch the game with the checkbox to have it launch automatically when its complete? Mine was resetting and I just clicked play game and it launched.
Hitting that gave me an error, at least: corrupt content files. I tried validating the local files, which worked without any error messages but did not actually help.

So... just reinstall?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Fojar38 posted:

So there's a bug where if everyone is teleported to bumper cars while Marasmus is casting his underwater spell, you will be underwater in the bumper cars and nobody can fall off.

You don't say...

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Hitting that gave me an error, at least: corrupt content files. I tried validating the local files, which worked without any error messages but did not actually help.

So... just reinstall?

Try deleting clientregistry.blob first.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Fojar38 posted:

So there's a bug where if everyone is teleported to bumper cars while Marasmus is casting his underwater spell, you will be underwater in the bumper cars and nobody can fall off.

There's some way to change teams and run around without a bumper car too. Some guy was doing it during the one where the platforms fall and just burning the other team to death as a pyro.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Doomsday part doesn't matter anyway, just conga in spawn until someone triggers the bumper cars when the real contest begins.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
Has anyone tried their G27 steering wheel with the carts? (kidding)

Is there a maximum of two cauldron drops, or do you get one for completing all each achievement?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The servers that automatically start bumper car mode are the best.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm enjoying the bumper cars.

Why?

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
Bad Halloween aside, how long until MARIO_KART finally lives up to its name?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks. Forgot all about that for some reason. Works now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I got the robot medic armor and the demoman cyborg eye. They go well with the robot chicken hat and the spirit of giving. Also got the medic dog head, which I feel like won't go with anything but the other two pieces of its set.

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Kelp Plankton posted:

None of the achievements do anything except for the "Win all three bumper car games at least once" one, which grants a second cauldron of items. Worth knowing.

If you get four achievements you get a melee weapon which is the strong man mallet. It looks ok.

So Math posted:

I'm enjoying the bumper cars.

Why?

I got one of these on my other account and cursed that we can't trade it, but probably only because I used to play alot of MvM.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

SecretSquirrel posted:

I got one of these on my other account and cursed that we can't trade it, but probably only because I used to play alot of MvM.

They should have at least made it count as a spellbook, too. Anyone else crashing whenever the server changes levels?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So there's zero point to actually playing the latest Halloween thing - I can get the achievements and keep idling on lakeside?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xander77 posted:

So there's zero point to actually playing the latest Halloween thing - I can get the achievements and keep idling on lakeside?

Yes, after you get the bonus crate from the bumper car achievement you can go back to not playing the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, after you get the bonus crate from the bumper car achievement you can go back to not playing the game.
Valve certainly designed an odd game.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Anyone else constantly getting the game freezing with the sound repeating?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I just hate the full moon/Halloween restrictions on some of these items . There are some I love but I'll never get to use them

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I just hate the full moon/Halloween restrictions on some of these items . There are some I love but I'll never get to use them

At least the melee weapon you can unlock isn't holiday restricted.

I think they need to do a holiday item restriction review or something, there's a lot of stuff that shouldn't be locked out like this year-round.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Got a strange Tiny Texan from my cauldron, the cosmetic item I was most excited about! Pretty great luck!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So if you don't really care for the halloween items you got, only thing you can do about it is delete them? Great. I'd be nice if there was at least a Giftapult-style thing to pass them on to hat-starved newbies. (Except last time they had a giftaplut, it was something you had to buy. What a joke.)

I'm totally cool with the "halloween-and-full-moon-only" thing, but halloween-only items should be correspondingly easy to get. Like little party favors they're tossing around cheaply on the holiday, which are fun but useless 95% of days.

And the map this year is pretty mediocre, as has been discussed at length in this thread. Oh well, time to go back and check out Helltower, I missed TF2's halloween last year!

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
When the screen goes white when going to go kart mode, you can mash boost and propel your cage out before the controls get locked. It only seems useful on the duck one.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I haven't tried this but apparently if you change classes during the kart phase, you can walk around like normal and use weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Also you can save yourself a couple seconds of falling time if you have a key bound to "explode." Get to floating towards a respawn before you've even dropped below the platform.

I'm honestly disappointed with this Halloween. They've got some neat items I have no realistic way of getting, the bumper cars are annoying, and they took a lovely map that nobody played because sentries always ruined it and made the sentries more powerful because everybody has to periodically stand still or put away their guns. Really looking forward to when we get tc_hydro_event next year.

• Locked thread