Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I tend to just read this thread more than I post in it but after seeing an implication that Six Feet Under is good I gotta say you should have lurked more man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

No, it's because you came into a metal discussion thread that's been going on for years and were shocked that people weren't talking about stuff that most of us discovered in high school and have moved on from. Then your response to all of that was effectively "that's just your opinion, man," thus contributing even less to the discussion then you would by posting "Have you guys heard of Deicide???" and leaving.

I only posted some things that I have liked forever. It was met with rude comments. Whatever though. I thought I had found some like minded metal heads. I was wrong. I found mostly a closed group that don't like "the new guy." It's cool though, it's not like any of this is important in my life anyway.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

VarDovoli posted:

Yeah sure man. Could you get a loving personality and not be a dick?

uhh you realise that's the guy who mods the forum right

anyway Slugathor were also from Finland if we're still talking about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umajpP0KUqo

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014

A human heart posted:

uhh you realise that's the guy who mods the forum right

anyway Slugathor were also from Finland if we're still talking about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umajpP0KUqo

And I'm supposed to kiss his rear end because he's a mod? Never gonna happen. He talked to me like poo poo. Respect is a 2 way street.

Slugathor rawks!

I'm done with this btw...

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Good, gently caress off.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

VarDovoli posted:

I only posted some things that I have liked forever. It was met with rude comments. Whatever though. I thought I had found some like minded metal heads. I was wrong. I found mostly a closed group that don't like "the new guy." It's cool though, it's not like any of this is important in my life anyway.
Just to be clear (and this is more for other people in the thread than for this dude), the group doesn't dislike "the new guy", they dislike "the annoying guy who won't shut the gently caress up and posts constantly and rolls with the punches any time someone criticizes him". For good reason!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

VarDovoli posted:

The entire premise of this site is to mock things. That extends to the forums, where 99% of the userbase, including the moderators, insults each other on a daily basis. If you can't deal with ribbing, you probably should've lurked more before paying money to join in on it.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Hey guys I'm new here but let me tell you how this thread should act now that I'm here Oh yeah here's my cool drums that nobody cares about except maybe for people who love Deicide (who btw have 11 great albums not just 2 hth)

*this dick headed post coming from someone who plays an instrument*

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I met Alex Webster from CC last month, he was a really cool guy. He introduced me to his friend that used to be in CC and Origin. We pretty much shot the poo poo on metal and the bass for a while (I play an instrument~)

You must be referring to Jeremy Turner. He never did any studio work with them, but filled in on some tours when (I believe) Rob Barrett couldn't make them. The dude is a crazy guitarist and I saw him play bass with Unmerciful back in July.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 30, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Do you even lift bro?

Also, you guys ever check out Pantera?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrBling posted:

Do you even lift bro?

Also, you guys ever check out Pantera?

Pantera?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxXmodWTGJ0

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just got back in from Steel Panther and Judas Priest, good poo poo. Gotta say Steel Panther surprised me with how solid they are live. Good schtick and would watch again.

Priest is Priest. It's the first time I've seen them and the guys sans Richie are really obviously getting up there but I still loved it so much. Was kinda worried that Rob was having a really bad night until I caught that he was trying to get his monitor turned up, and from then on it was solid. Also: I love Rob's costume changes.

Was one awesome dude up in the balcony who was air drumming the whole time Priest was playing and when Scott whipped a stick up to the guy at the end of the night the crowd cheered :hellyeah:

wiz crack
Jan 18, 2008

Vargatron posted:

My only gripe is that I feel like the band is chasing this hyper precise drumming that so many metal bands are going for these days with blastbeats and drumming in general. Like I understand the need to make the music intense, but it ends up feeling mechanical to me. Like if you told me that this was done by a drum machine I would totally believe you.

The intro didn't really do much for me, but the rest of the song was killer. I guess I'm at the point where the hyper precise tech death riff doesn't do it for me the way that it used to.

I'm really looking forward to this album.

hey man! I'm actually the drummer from NeO and stumbled on this. I worked extremely hard for years to be able to execute the stuff on this record. Yes it's edited like any record, but for the most part it's very natural, and if you happen to come to a live show (please do and come say whats up) I try to be really accurate with the records execution.

Stoked to see there's heaps of guys digging it, made my day seeing sa guys into NeO!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

wiz crack posted:

hey man! I'm actually the drummer from NeO and stumbled on this. I worked extremely hard for years to be able to execute the stuff on this record. Yes it's edited like any record, but for the most part it's very natural, and if you happen to come to a live show (please do and come say whats up) I try to be really accurate with the records execution.

Stoked to see there's heaps of guys digging it, made my day seeing sa guys into NeO!

Oh cool you play drums let me introduce you to Something Awful Goon VarDovoli, he could probably teach you a few things about drumming but he's probably got more important things in his life to do.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

They're not old, or entirely death metal, but Hooded Menace are Finnish, and loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYjR0l9UlY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

wiz crack posted:

You should feel real good about being in the band you're in. I haven't immediately enjoyed a record like I have with Citadel in a long time.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Stoat posted:

Who's the best dummer in the world, VarDovoli? Joey Jordison or Mike Portnoy?

VarDovoli

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think you have this backwards. :colbert:

George Kollias soundcheck was more impressive than anything the the guy who drums for CC played during their entire set :c00lbert:

Turk February posted:

You must be referring to Jeremy Turner. He never did any studio work with them, but filled in on some tours when (I believe) Rob Barrett couldn't make them. The dude is a crazy guitarist and I saw him play bass with Unmerciful back in July.

I think Jeremy Turner was in the studio with Origin for Antithesis? Or maybe I just think that cause that's around the time he did a lot of touring with them but yeah he killed it live when I saw them back when (they all did, Origin are awesome).

Turk February posted:

Jeremy did do work with Origin, but I was referring to his involvement with Cannibal Corpse which was strictly live.

Ah, my bad!

Martout fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 30, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Stoat posted:

Who's the best dummer in the world, VarDovoli? Joey Jordison or Mike Portnoy?

ToonTrack

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Martout posted:

I think Jeremy Turner was in the studio with Origin for Antithesis? Or maybe I just think that cause that's around the time he did a lot of touring with them but yeah he killed it live when I saw them back when (they all did, Origin are awesome).

Jeremy did do work with Origin, but I was referring to his involvement with Cannibal Corpse which was strictly live.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 30, 2014

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I'm starting a real metal thread for WOLVES not SHEEP with var dovoli. Smell ya later fags

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
THRASH!

http://forcedkill.bandcamp.com/album/speeding-death-velocity

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

They are no Legion, but I still like Once Upon the Cross and The Stench of Redemption :shobon:.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Vice isn't exactly a good source for anything... so here's their reporters saying how "real" Satanism in music only comes from the Church of Satan.

EDIT:
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/death-to-false-satanism
The link, because I'm an idiot

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just mention devils, demons, loving, die and maybe the darkness

There, im happy, thats good enough. Only some true asperger would get upset and write a lot of words about REAL CHURCH OF SATAN bullshit.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lencho posted:

They are no Legion, but I still like Once Upon the Cross and The Stench of Redemption :shobon:.

Deicide is like cannibal corpse but with more satan (and better)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Vintersorg posted:

Just mention devils, demons, loving, die and maybe the darkness

There, im happy, thats good enough. Only some true asperger would get upset and write a lot of words about REAL CHURCH OF SATAN bullshit.

The funny thing is that the Church of Satan isn't even Satanist.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
It's just Atheism with a set of tenets.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Steve Asheim claimed that Once Upon the Cross was played a lot slower because they wrote all the material and it was only 22 minutes long so they just slowed down to drag it out.

You would think they would've timed it before hand or something but I'm not Deicide.

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Steve Asheim claimed that Once Upon the Cross was played a lot slower because they wrote all the material and it was only 22 minutes long so they just slowed down to drag it out.

You would think they would've timed it before hand or something but I'm not Deicide.
Well, it took an hour to write. They thought it would take an hour to play.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
I've listened to some of the new Ne Obliviscaris streaming tracks a couple times now, having gone back after reading positive things about it to see if it will click with me but it just doesn't. They're obviously great musicians that have put a lot of time and thought into their work. Lots of well-arranged layers, some effective counterpoint, but none of it grabs me. I also think it would be better entirely stripped of the clean vocals and that the violin generally doesn't add much to the compositions. Mostly it just makes me feel impatient. I hate to write a bunch of words just to poo poo on something that the artists presumably put their heart into but I'm stuck wondering if I'm all alone here?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Opulent Ceremony posted:

I've listened to some of the new Ne Obliviscaris streaming tracks a couple times now, having gone back after reading positive things about it to see if it will click with me but it just doesn't. They're obviously great musicians that have put a lot of time and thought into their work. Lots of well-arranged layers, some effective counterpoint, but none of it grabs me. I also think it would be better entirely stripped of the clean vocals and that the violin generally doesn't add much to the compositions. Mostly it just makes me feel impatient. I hate to write a bunch of words just to poo poo on something that the artists presumably put their heart into but I'm stuck wondering if I'm all alone here?

I haven't listened to the Ne Obliviscaris stream, so I can't quite comment on what it is they do, but I completely understand what you are talking about with all the arranged layers and what-not. That type of heavy metal just does not do it for me at all in the past five years or so just because a lot of bands try to cram in as much poo poo as possible and think that adding more elements is what will finally push the album over the top, when in fact it turns it into an unbearable mess that will never be able to be replicated well in a live setting.

It's a huge reason why I've just been going with bands/albums that are so much simpler in terms of arrangements because then I actually have something to focus on and critique rather than try and put together some auditory puzzle that's eventually going to annoy the hell out of me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Finally getting around to that new At the Gates album, and "The Conspiracy of the Blind" is just a mashup of "Suicide Nation" and "Unto Others." what

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Turk February posted:

I haven't listened to the Ne Obliviscaris stream, so I can't quite comment on what it is they do, but I completely understand what you are talking about with all the arranged layers and what-not. That type of heavy metal just does not do it for me at all in the past five years or so just because a lot of bands try to cram in as much poo poo as possible and think that adding more elements is what will finally push the album over the top, when in fact it turns it into an unbearable mess that will never be able to be replicated well in a live setting.

It's a huge reason why I've just been going with bands/albums that are so much simpler in terms of arrangements because then I actually have something to focus on and critique rather than try and put together some auditory puzzle that's eventually going to annoy the hell out of me.

The fact that Portal of I is so incredibly busy is part of what gives it a sweeping and magical feeling for me. For a while, the amount of poo poo going on struck me as flashy and annoying, but honestly it's one of the things I most like about the album now. I still occasionally notice new things on my twentieth listen, little bits of guitar interplay and what have you. This is why I'm not going to discount Citadel even though my initial impressions of it weren't amazing - they make music that takes a lot of time to get a complete impression of.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 31, 2014

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

wiz crack posted:

I've got nothing but respect for the musicianship of NeO, especially the drumming. I still stand by my previous statement, but that doesn't detract at all from how awesome the song are themselves. It's just my personal preference at this point in time. I can assure you that my opinion will probably change the more I listen to the album and pick up on the subtleties in the mix. I think that's the best thing about progressive metal is that you keep hearing new things every time you listen to the record.

If you're playing near the Atlanta, GA area in the States, I will certainly be at the show! I'm sure that the drumming will be as tight as it is on the album.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Any of you losers going to Carcass/Obituary next Friday in Nashville? I really wanted to go to the Louisville show the next day but I work that night.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

wiz crack posted:

I'll definitely be at your live show when you guys make it to Seattle! Wouldn't want to blow it off after contributing to your fundraiser.

please please play Of Petrichor Weaves Black Noise :pray:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
metalhead decapitated in the name of jesus

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2014/10/christian-zealot-beheads-teen-for-practicing-witchcraft/

https://www.facebook.com/JacobCMetal300

Looks like he could have been a pretty cool dude.

whatshesaid posted:

Any of you losers going to Carcass/Obituary next Friday in Nashville? I really wanted to go to the Louisville show the next day but I work that night.

I'm still planning on going (haven't gotten tickets yet). demonofthefall?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

OMG DEPORT ALL DEM CHRISTIANS BACK TO ENGLAND

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

metalhead decapitated in the name of jesus

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2014/10/christian-zealot-beheads-teen-for-practicing-witchcraft/

https://www.facebook.com/JacobCMetal300

Looks like he could have been a pretty cool dude.

I'm still planning on going (haven't gotten tickets yet). demonofthefall?

If metalhead decapitation doesn't rate being forever commemorated in a Gwar song I don't know what does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This is pretty much the same story as when that MMA fighter ate a magic mushroom pizza and cooked his friend in the oven because he was the devil