Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

i'm just really salt that you got all those vai guitars but not once do you ever show a uv
You mean a Universe?

If so, I am old-school King's X so I tune six-strings down to crazy lows instead of playing baritones or seven-strings. I prefer that over extra strings.

BTW I only have TWO JEMs and a few more Ibanezes that are not JEMs.

I know to some people TWO JEMs = "all those Vai guitars" but RGs don't count, as you already know; because you're muike and you know about stuff like this.

If muike hates me, in this "we hate everything guitar that's ugly" thread, then I don't know how to deal with it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it is ok to like ugly guitars and no one walks away from the thread going "i'm really steamed about those ugly guitars with acrylic and other stuff that's bad and gross"

in fact i quite like ugly guitars and would buy most of the things in this thread if i had the money. i like laughing at the zachary guitars but i also like some of his designs. i just don't post about that because it's not as fun as making fun of a self-obsessed sperglord

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
and you're completley right because i actually have the ibanez model number logic engrained in my brain and whenever someone complains about it i think they're retarded for not knowing what pickup configuration a 570 has just by reading the gotdang name

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

You mean a Universe?

If so, I am old-school King's X so I tune six-strings down to crazy lows instead of playing baritones or seven-strings. I prefer that over extra strings.

I know to some people TWO JEMs = "all those Vai guitars" but RGs don't count, as you already know; because you're muike and you know about stuff like this.

If muike hates me, in this "we hate everything guitar that's ugly" thread, then I don't know how to deal with it.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Draw me your dream guitar in MS Paint.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I'll say this for that Zachary guy, at least he makes a lot of his own designs rather than churning out endless copies of Strats, Teles, Les Pauls and SGs. Even when he copies one of those body styles he does something distinctive to it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I wish aspergers wasn't overused and posting in constant defense of constant attacks didn't label one as "self-obsesssed." But, it's the internet, so wtf.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i was talking about the zachary guitars guy lmfao

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dr. Faustus posted:

Is it fair to say that actual SOLID-BODY production guitars had straight headstocks?

IDK if this is a realpost or not but hasn't pretty much every Gibson ever made had a tilt-back headstock?

In fact, didn't pretty much all electric guitars of any stripe have angled headstocks because that's what accoustics had right up until Leo Fender shook things up with the Telecaster and its utilitarian design? Even the Rickenbacker frying pan had an angled headstock.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Schpyder posted:

IDK if this is a realpost or not but hasn't pretty much every Gibson ever made had a tilt-back headstock?

In fact, didn't pretty much all electric guitars of any stripe have angled headstocks because that's what accoustics had right up until Leo Fender shook things up with the Telecaster and its utilitarian design? Even the Rickenbacker frying pan had an angled headstock.

Yea, this is right. Leo Fender worked out how to make good-sounded electric guitars efficiently (the original tele's were actually made out of pine left over from amplifier cases, the thought they dinged too easy so he switched to ash, which was pretty much regarded as only good for firewood at the time so it was dirt cheap). Telecasters and Stratocasers are great examples of industrial design. There's a reason that the stratocaster is the most copied guitar, it was designed with mass production in mind.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Dr. Faustus posted:

You mean a Universe?

Over My Head was probably one of the first tracks I learned to play. Ty Tabor is a Pearl, MS native and is also how I got into Yamaha guitars.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cartoon posted:

OK Audio test time!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=72010681966478746082

Here's the url of the file Test 1.7z

It contains four de-identified wav files. Your mission is to identify the one with the best tone and the one with the most sustain. If you think it is the same one as the best tone one say so!

The program is four open chords strummed down and left to ring out. Your answer is one of C, I, K or V

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=03283643843160444077

That's the url of the file Test 2.7z

It contains six de-identified wav files. Your mission is to identify the one with the best tone and the one with the most sustain. If you think it is the same as the best tone one say so!

The program is four open chords strummed down and left to ring out then a simple scale up and back. Your answer is one of D,E,J,M,S or Y

Notes

I could go into a bunch of stuff about the methodology but meh.
I would have used tindeck but tindeck was today, for me at least, fubar.
I have spent years researching 'tone' myths on the Internet and examined many claims in depth on another music forum. Happy to discuss.
OK last time of bumping!

Nice if all you 'tone' gurus could do me a solid and check it out.

Not sure how many of you are on Gibson's e-mailing list but:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/The-Secrets-Of-Sustain.aspx

Lol!

Here's the actual facts:

http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm

Turns out bolt on necks transfer more signal than glue ins and through necks are the worst of all (This should be obvious if you actually give it a moment's quiet reflection).

This one made my day though

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Build-a-Pro-PA-for-Live-Shows.aspx

quote:

John Mcguire • a day ago
From being a audio engineer for about 40 years . I disagree totally. In today's market you need to go digital. Pre sonus has a very good line of products, that will fit the bill. Also since it begins with the microphone I suggest spending most of your money on a good set of mics . Just like anything else you get what you pay for.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i think i am going to try to draw a fantasy guitar and i think everyone else should to so that we may be judged by that

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
gbs ain't really about hate. it's smart people pretending to dumb people trying to be smart people. most of the humor is emulation of idiots you see around the web and not really taken seriously. you are the one taking it seriously and people only push your buttons because you react to it exactly how they want you to. any reference to you at this point is basically "remember that thing in the thread?" not a personal
attack on you (though some is out of frustration that your derails are tiring). it's futile to defend yourself and you are just perpetuating it by swooping in. no one really cares about your guitars and we would have forgotten about them. jfc stop wasting your time and energy on this. life's too loving short

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dr. Faustus posted:

"When your putting on a show and playing live, you sometimes sacrifice perfection for showmanship."
This is absolute truth.

You've basically got 2 choices, stand like a statue and make sure you hit every note perfectly, or have some fun, engage the crowd, drop a few notes here and there but make sure everyone's having enough fun that no one gives a poo poo.

I'll take jumping around and having a good time over being boring any day.
And I'll do it all the while playing my gaudy gay rainbow geetar (and SOON my GBSuitar).

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

tacodaemon posted:

I'll say this for that Zachary guy, at least he makes a lot of his own designs rather than churning out endless copies of Strats, Teles, Les Pauls and SGs. Even when he copies one of those body styles he does something distinctive to it.

I just think he is funny and clearly off his meds. He builds his own stuff even if he has some goofy rear end philopsophy and business model. He is a million times better than bluesdad icon Scott Grove who just grates after watching 2 minutes of his 50 minute plus diatribes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

iostream.h posted:

This is absolute truth.

You've basically got 2 choices, stand like a statue and make sure you hit every note perfectly, or have some fun, engage the crowd, drop a few notes here and there but make sure everyone's having enough fun that no one gives a poo poo.

I'll take jumping around and having a good time over being boring any day.
And I'll do it all the while playing my gaudy gay rainbow geetar (and SOON my GBSuitar).

People like to poo poo on Stryper (except Metallica, they really like Stryper) but one thing I will say about them is that their guitarist can really shred and put on a good show while managing to not drop a note. He's probably metal's least appreciated guitarist ever. This is the one thing I feel really separates the really surgical precision school of Japanese metal guitarists from their American cousins, they have such robot like finger control they can really tear it up and seem to not miss or drop anything when they do. I mentioned Hide in this thread before and his ability to look totally relaxed and almost bored while banging out some insanely complex work, but also the guitarists for Galneryus and Sigh. As opposed to the more European and American style like this: http://youtu.be/XHzDyvFD-vo where it looks good and those guys are grooving hard, but they drop stuff pretty consistently and the rhythm guitar speeds up and slows down a few times where it shouldn't.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Now, I understand MIM Fenders are good now (they used to be terrible)

actually the first few years of production are generally considered the best since only the bodies and final assembly were done in the ensenada plant, while the necks and final qc were done in the ontario plant. pretty much the only difference between the first few years of mim strats and american ones are the hardware and pickups

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Dr. Faustus posted:

O stop it, WDE. You and I both know the handles are silly and for stage fun. I've played a JEM on stage and I never once held it by the grip; but handle or no, in the day it was a funny, cool thing.

Stop hating.

Some sweet handlin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz5w06Naq0c

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Dewgy posted:

the blue and gold makes it look like it'd be perfect for a lounge act

e: ugh light fretboard though gross, plus no corny vines

am i weird for only liking rosewood/dark fretboards

depends on the guitar. i'm fine with rosewood itself but anything other than maple on a strat or a tele (for instance) is the grossest poo poo ever.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress me dr. F gently caress me harder

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Fax Sender posted:

i think i am going to try to draw a fantasy guitar and i think everyone else should to so that we may be judged by that

everyone should make a retarded fantasy guitar and post it no joke

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/yswtct-kisekae-e.asp#Kisekae VIM System
this one has most guitars
http://www.offsetguitars.com/dressing_room/
this has offset fenders (the best guitars)

here's the retarded thing id own if i could

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shiksa posted:

Okay real talk I'd play the poo poo out of that

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

shiksa posted:

From the same site: http://www.nymphusa.com/arrow/picE.asp

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
another option

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

Draw me your dream guitar in MS Paint.

Do it, Faustus.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

shiksa posted:

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Mine would basically be a fat strat but with an iceman body shape (in white, which is the color something called an iceman should be) tbh.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

They're both cool. Do you like white or blue?
Oscar Romeo Romeo if it helps or hurts, you're no less of a "fan-wank" than I am if you buy one of those. So sorry for you and for yours.

I am already quite deep into that particular rabbit hole.

I like both white and the blue one, can't quite make up my mind.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Does anyone make a superstrat style tele? If so that is my ideal guitar.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

They needs some of these horrible things IMO:

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Like you mean a Tele with buckers and a trem?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Something like this?

There are a few.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

comes along bort posted:

actually the first few years of production are generally considered the best since only the bodies and final assembly were done in the ensenada plant, while the necks and final qc were done in the ontario plant. pretty much the only difference between the first few years of mim strats and american ones are the hardware and pickups

I have a 2012 MIM Jaguarillo and a 2014 MIM Jazzmaster TVL, and I can't find anything to complain about quality wise. Both guitars have been great and don't have any flaws that I can find, other than how I don't really like the HSS pickup configuration on the Jaguarillo. The Jazzmaster is beautiful and plays like a dream. My friend has a recent American Standard Strat and the fit and finish of my MIM Fenders seems to be about equal.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

City of Tampa posted:

I have a 2012 MIM Jaguarillo and a 2014 MIM Jazzmaster TVL, and I can't find anything to complain about quality wise. Both guitars have been great and don't have any flaws that I can find, other than how I don't really like the HSS pickup configuration on the Jaguarillo. The Jazzmaster is beautiful and plays like a dream. My friend has a recent American Standard Strat and the fit and finish of my MIM Fenders seems to be about equal.

I've heard completely different things, so it might be hit-and-miss/QC issues.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Fax Sender posted:

Almost sounds like a Wolfgang

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fax Sender posted:

I mean preferably with the thin wizard style neck and maybe-

Sleepflower posted:

Something like this?

There are a few.
Yessssssssssssssssssss

Now to find one in bright pink or yellow

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I mean preferably with the thin wizard style neck and maybe-

Yessssssssssssssssssss

Now to find one in bright pink or yellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KudIHVWP4To

Also I know charvel made a version exactly as you're talking about but I can't find any of them for sale now

also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Charve...=item19f33d907b

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 30, 2014

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Sleepflower posted:

I've heard completely different things, so it might be hit-and-miss/QC issues.

I always heard bad things about Mexican Fenders too, but I ended up with the Jaguarillo as part of a trade and was so impressed by it that I started looking a lot more closely at recent MIMs. When I got the MIM Jazzmaster I had the opportunity to compare it directly to a MIJ Jazzmaster at the guitar shop and it blew it away. The sound was so much better (MIJ Jazzmaster pickups suck imho) and the paint on the MIM is just gorgeous.

I'd still want to check out an MIM in person before I bought it, but you'd probably be surprised at how nice they can get.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah apparently Fender and Fernandes also made some but they are heinously rare and expensive. I should really just build one, I have most of a Agile or SX telecaster and some dealextreme humbuckers laying around here somewhere. Getting the neck right might be hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I really want a charvel san dimas now

• Locked thread