Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We can only hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
It looks more like a short spin-off like Entertainment. Still cool, Cardboard Computer can do no wrong.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

31. Organ Trail: Director's Cut

Hahaha, get it? It's like Oregon Trail, but...

This man is wrong, do not buy, play, or think about Organ Trail. It Is Bad.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October FINAL CUT :spooky:

So it's done. 31 + 1 spooky games played and reviewed for the month of October, and a bunch of extra games reviewed in between. Since the Steam sale is starting tomorrow and I've covered a ton of ground, I'm going to provide a final list of everything I've reviewed, sorted by recommendation. As usual, the titles in this list will link to my reviews, and the titles within the review will link to the Steam store page.

GOOD games worth picking up:
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
4. Adventures of Shuggy
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
21. Eldritch
24. Ghost Master
25. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
26. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
29. Betrayer
30. Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
G. Blood
I. Anodyne
J. Vlad the Impaler

OK games you might enjoy:
3. Deadlight
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
14. Scarygirl
16. Closure
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
27. Paranormal State: Poison Spring
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
H. Shadows: Price For Our Sins
K. Doorways: Chapters 1 & 2
N. White Noise Online

BAD games you should avoid:
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault
18. F.E.A.R. Online
22. The Path
23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor
28. Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween
32. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
F. The Forgotten Ones
L. The House
M. Depths of Fear :: Knossos
O. Eleusis
P. Master Reboot
Q. Coma:Mortuary
R. Montague's Mount

Let's wrap this up with the drive-in totals: 23 days elapsed, 50 games reviewed, 32 played, 12 streamed, 3 borrowed via Steam Sharing, 2 gifted, 1 bought, 16 walking sims, 3 2D walking sims, 2 free-to-play games, 4 hidden object games, 5 aliens, 5 zombies, 10 ghosts, two kinds of alien dismemberment, three kinds of mutant-bashing, vampire-staking, satyr-stabbing, corpse-roasting, statue-fu, broom-fu, color-fu, tentacle-fu, sawblade-fu, three stars, check 'em out.

Thanks for reading, and happy Halloween!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Let's wrap this up with the drive-in totals: 23 days elapsed, 50 games reviewed, 32 played, 12 streamed, 3 borrowed via Steam Sharing, 2 gifted, 1 bought, 16 walking sims, 3 2D walking sims, 2 free-to-play games, 4 hidden object games, 5 aliens, 5 zombies, 10 ghosts, two kinds of alien dismemberment, three kinds of mutant-bashing, vampire-staking, satyr-stabbing, corpse-roasting, statue-fu, broom-fu, color-fu, tentacle-fu, sawblade-fu, three stars, check 'em out.

Hey man, you did good, thanks for all those write-ups.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I finally got around to playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown and I just captured an alien and I'm worried about the injury status of my go-to squad leader.

It begins :stare:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Well I finally got around to playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown and I just captured an alien and I'm worried about the injury status of my go-to squad leader.

It begins :stare:

Injured means alive; you haven't hit peak :xcom: yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I should probably finally play the new XCOM.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Injured means alive; you haven't hit peak :xcom: yet.

Yes, but what if he's not healed up in time for the next mission? :ohdear:

Actually I have a sniper who has been with the squad since the second mission and she'll step up to the plate.... but it just won't be the same if he's not there to blast rockets at stuff when poo poo gets hairy!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Quash any and all emotional attachment before it can form. Dress all soldiers in anonymous, faceless helmets. It'll spare you, trust me.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, but what if he's not healed up in time for the next mission? :ohdear:

Actually I have a sniper who has been with the squad since the second mission and she'll step up to the plate.... but it just won't be the same if he's not there to blast rockets at stuff when poo poo gets hairy!

Best part of X-Com is when all your barely trained soldiers are injured and you are forced to take the first Terror mission with an all-recruit team :getin:

poptart_fairy posted:

Quash any and all emotional attachment before it can form. Dress all soldiers in anonymous, faceless helmets. It'll spare you, trust me.

I use the bright red, mirror helmet uniform for the rookies, they need to earn their cool beret priveleges.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

So uhhh... recreating the cast of Tour of Duty in the game would be a BAD idea then?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

So uhhh... recreating the cast of Tour of Duty in the game would be a BAD idea then?

Don't be like me and name all your first soldiers after friends and family!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't be like me and name all your first soldiers after friends and family!

So sad. So..... sad

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm playing the first Hitman, and apparently you can't save during missions?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

IF you want to play the first Hitman then play Contracts which is more or less a remake/retelling.

Orv
May 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

No no no, they have to earn the right to have names and faces. Sergeant and below are just Drone #1, Drone #2, Drone #3 with red armor and the paintball helmet.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

I can put up with a lot of poo poo in old games, but Hitman: Codename 47 is where I draw the line.

The game was a pain in the rear end when it came out and it's only worsened with time. Weirdly Hitman 2 has aged pretty well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

al-azad posted:

IF you want to play the first Hitman then play Contracts which is more or less a remake/retelling.
Wait, contracts is on steam now? Since when?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Steam is recommending Dungeon of the Endless to me, but none of my usual review sites seem to have noticed the game. Is it any good? I usually like roguelike stuff, but I'm unsure of how the tower defense fits in. I enjoyed Endless Space, if that helps.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Wait, contracts is on steam now? Since when?

They sorted out the rights issue with the nightclub track by removing it from the game.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

Steam is recommending Dungeon of the Endless to me, but none of my usual review sites seem to have noticed the game. Is it any good? I usually like roguelike stuff, but I'm unsure of how the tower defense fits in. I enjoyed Endless Space, if that helps.

I have played it for 30 min or so, it is quite good and challenging.

It is a mix of roguelite and tower defense: your goal on every level is to plot your course through various rooms to the exit. Every time you open a new room, it serves as a time unit - the abilities of your heroes get cooled down a bit (like in Binding of Isaac) and your stations generate their resources.

One of the resources that you can find in a new room is dust (energy) - it is used to light up dark rooms. Once you light up a room, you can put a resource generator and turrets there. Rooms that are left dark spawn monsters when you open new rooms - monsters rush to your base and you need towers to defend it while your heroes are exploring far away. The hook is that you will never have enough energy to light up all rooms on the level and you need to plan the directions that you can defend when one of your heroes carries the base crystal to the exit.

Unlike most roguelites you don't control your characters directly - you direct them to the room and they act as they see fit. When poo poo goes down it has a distinctive FTL feel of managing your crew in a crisis situation.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October FINAL CUT :spooky:

So it's done. 31 + 1 spooky games played and reviewed for the month of October, and a bunch of extra games reviewed in between. Since the Steam sale is starting tomorrow and I've covered a ton of ground, I'm going to provide a final list of everything I've reviewed, sorted by recommendation. As usual, the titles in this list will link to my reviews, and the titles within the review will link to the Steam store page.

GOOD games worth picking up:
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
4. Adventures of Shuggy
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
21. Eldritch
24. Ghost Master
25. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
26. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
29. Betrayer
30. Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
G. Blood
I. Anodyne
J. Vlad the Impaler

OK games you might enjoy:
3. Deadlight
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
14. Scarygirl
16. Closure
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
27. Paranormal State: Poison Spring
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
H. Shadows: Price For Our Sins
K. Doorways: Chapters 1 & 2
N. White Noise Online

BAD games you should avoid:
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault
18. F.E.A.R. Online
22. The Path
23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor
28. Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween
32. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
F. The Forgotten Ones
L. The House
M. Depths of Fear :: Knossos
O. Eleusis
P. Master Reboot
Q. Coma:Mortuary
R. Montague's Mount

I really enjoyed all the posts in this series, thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
He says of his new Early Access MMO

Derek Smart posted:

Smart also says that his team is working on a public roadmap website so that players can track release progress and vote on new features. He thanks his testers for their patience with the "staggered" test schedule. " It is for the greater good," he writes. "Been doing this a very – very – long time, so you just have to trust that I know what I'm doing."

:ironicat:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Early Access and MMO sounds like two things that shouldn't coexist as descriptors to one game.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

How do you guys keep tabs on sales? I've been adding stuff to my wishlist and periodically checking it to see if anything's on sale, but with vouchers and everything it's starting to get quite long.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Early Access and MMO sounds like two things that shouldn't coexist as descriptors to one game.

To boot it looks like it was made in 2003. :v:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

How do you guys keep tabs on sales? I've been adding stuff to my wishlist and periodically checking it to see if anything's on sale, but with vouchers and everything it's starting to get quite long.

http://isthereanydeal.com/ the email notifications will account for vouchers etc

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

HardDisk posted:

You've obviously missed the age of the Eternal Beta and the Soft Release. Most MMOs these days are out in 'open beta' for six months to two years before they 'launch'. It's drat common now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

You've obviously missed the age of the Eternal Beta and the Soft Release. Most MMOs these days are out in 'open beta' for six months to two years before they 'launch'. It's drat common now.

I'm glad I'm over MMOs

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

http://isthereanydeal.com/ the email notifications will account for vouchers etc
Ohey, this seems pretty handy. I've used it a couple of times to check prices, but never noticed these features. Thanks a lot, I'll have to fiddle around with it a bit.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Top sellers list is topped by... Farming Simulator 15? Is it an improvement on the previous iteration? I actually legitimately enjoyed it with some pals of mine but the price is a bit high for a simulator about farming.

Edit: It has the best achievement at least. "Out of Debt". That's something I wish to achieve in real life too..

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

He says of his new Early Access MMO

"It is for the greater good," he writes. "Been doing this a very – very – long time, so you just have to trust that I know what I'm doing."

:ironicat:

Yeah, because his track record of doing this a very - very - long time is stellar.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Yeah, because his track record of doing this a very - very - long time is stellar.

I genuinely do not know of another human being who could be said to be a true Soda Machine Fighting Master.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Less than a week until Binding of Isaac Rebirth comes out. And lucky me, it falls on Melbourne Cup Day so I get the day off to play it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

World of Warcraft started this, right? MMO's change so frequently that it's near impossible to release one in any kind of complete state. A ready-for-release MMO is ideally playable and has content up to its level cap/whatever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

World of Warcraft started this, right? MMO's change so frequently that it's near impossible to release one in any kind of complete state. A ready-for-release MMO is ideally playable and has content up to its level cap/whatever.

:raise: WoW released with content up to and through level cap. Two full raids (depending on how you look at Onyxia as "full").

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

I genuinely do not know of another human being who could be said to be a true Soda Machine Fighting Master.

He's the hero the Steam forums deserves, not the one it needs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Orv posted:

:raise: WoW released with content up to and through level cap. Two full raids (depending on how you look at Onyxia as "full").

But the state of the game at launch was wildly different a year later and it was in beta for 6 months prior to launch. "Beta" has completely lost its meaning, it's a marketing term at this point. And MMO's change so drastically over the course of months that it's hard to call any kind of launch a "complete" launch.

And that's my point. A finished MMO is one that doesn't crash instantly and gets you up to whatever the level cap is. They're going to radically alter it down the road so it's never truly complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Orv posted:

Yeah, the only MMO I can think of offhand that actually had significant content gaps was Age of Conan.

• Locked thread