Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm totally cool with the "halloween-and-full-moon-only" thing, but halloween-only items should be correspondingly easy to get.
Well, if people could idle for tradeable items, that would be the case. But Valve has other priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

J-Pak posted:

Has anyone tried their G27 steering wheel with the carts? (kidding)

Not the same but driving them with a controller is El Garbago. (That's spanish for "El Garbage")

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Idling was such a god damned waste of time and if I can be honest I'm glad they phased it out or made it useless because running multiple instances of a game you're not playing just to get imaginary currency is just about the stupidest thing you could possibly do with your electricity.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I hated idling too, and the whole thing about colecting gifts in the middle of a game (well, in previous years, the map was actually worth playing).

They should have just broken their usual policy, and let these achievement items be tradable. Everyone gets a bunch of free stuff, can trade it around for what they actually want, and it doesn't matter if some weirdo makes a bunch of spare accounts to farm achievements, because these items are halloween-only anyway, and it requires them actually playing the game.

EDIT: Also, tickets:

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 30, 2014

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

So if you're wearing the Tin Soldier set and you get teleported for a spell, you do the BEEP BOOP MAGGOTS taunt instead of Thriller, and you still get to use your primary during melee-only. v:v:v

edit: wait it only happens if you mash Battle Cry during it, otherwise it doesn't force the robot taunt.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 30, 2014

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I got a haunted iron fist for my engis left hand, and you can't use the gunslinger with that even though gunslinger is worn on the right hand.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Also the new health icon thing doesn't appear on disguised enemy spies apparently.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Got a strange haunted L4D Scout hat. What does "haunted" do, anyway?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

CoolCab posted:

That's the beauty of it - it doesn't do anything!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CoolCab posted:

One of the new ones:
if it dropped, throw that fucker on the market and make $$$$$
if you got it through the cauldron thing, welp
one of the older years:
nothing! just wear it or throw it in the garbage.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Reiley posted:

imaginary currency
It's so real (DS9 link goes here) insofar as you can buy actual games with it.

In other news - the steam market doesn't actually display items you put up (as it often does on Thursdays). Any way to get it to refresh and display your item? (Removing it and putting it back up doesn't seem to help)

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
They really need to add a sudden death to the platform bumper car game. The Horseman was supposed to be that but he's way too slow to kill everyone before you can get back up and respawn. I really like the football one though.

On the whole it feels a little buggy. Merasmus keeps yammering about platforms falling away when there's only one left, he starts casting a spell in the middle of his "right you won the Strong Man now it's time to die" schtick... His lines are great though. His whole bit about the yakuza which can spin on for several rounds is simply hilarious.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
So...it's a four page comic, (which is just two talking heads, there's no reason for it to be a comic), three pieces of cosmetics sets that you can't complete without buying something, and a map that sucks and also breaks constantly?

It never struck me how disingenuous "the average player only got five cosmetics!" Is. That has to average the long tail of people who loaded the map once and hated it over people who wanted sets. Of course it's going to be low, and not at all representative

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 30, 2014

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
What servers are people usually playing on for all this Halloween madness?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Plus, you know, so what if some people idled or played more to get more cosmetics, that's their business, fair enough if you wanna stop idling, but I didn't idle and got about 30+ items by playing the map a lot, and also popping in once every hour or two. but I didn't idle and clog up servers. I did it all legit. I'm probably going to use the achievement manager just out of spite this year. Even though I've already gotten the achievement for the second set of items. Zero Gear helped quite a bit for the football challenge, thanks to the goons that made that. Everyone needs to play that.

edit: Well, I like the design, the grain being actually modelled is a nice touch, sadly it takes up almost half of your screen when you have the mallet equipped and it doesn't even make a different sound compared to default melee. At least the engy can use it, yay for that, if I can put a quad pumpkin spell on it I might use it all the time.. ahem.. halloween.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 30, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

So...it's a four page comic, (which is just two talking heads, there's no reason for it to be a comic), three pieces of cosmetics sets that you can't complete without buying something, and a map that sucks and also breaks constantly?

It never struck me how disingenuous "the average player only got five cosmetics!" Is. That has to average the long tail of people who loaded the map once and hated it over people who wanted sets. Of course it's going to be low, and not at all representative

I have happily played tf2 since 2007 and never really bothered with any of these events.

The thing I'm more interested in is this demo pipe buff which people are speculating is pre empting a sticky nerf?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jippa posted:

I have happily played tf2 since 2007 and never really bothered with any of these events.

The thing I'm more interested in is this demo pipe buff which people are speculating is pre empting a sticky nerf?

What pipe buff? I haven't heard anything about it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Grapplejack posted:

Nothing in the patch notes either.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Opening crates is masochistic.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

You get an all-class melee weapon for unlocking 4 of the new achievements.

Really considering just SAM'ing for it :I

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mr. Mojangles posted:

All class all class? I thought they stopped doing those with the Saxxy after it was found out making your melee spawn in retaining the special qualities (is able to build buildings, is able to backstab) was trivially easy to do.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ugh, I probably got the least interesting items, the Medic's fursuit head, some legs for the Scout that don't really look that different and the kangaroo's hands for the Sniper.

Mr. Mojangles posted:

This is cool, though.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Sadly it isn't for spy, which sucks because I only use the stock knife anyway.

Looks good on engineer, on scout it takes up half the screen and you can't see poo poo, most of the classes it takes up a lot of screen space actually. No new sounds when it hits stuff, just sounds like the metal bat for scout, and the bottle for everyone else. At least soldier hitting himself in the head with it is pretty funny.

I SAMed for it, frankly it's a bit disappointing if I'd had to do all the work for it. since most of the achievements involve tracks that I've only gotten once, or not dying on the falling ground one, which I have a remarkably hard time not doing. I keep getting hit by team mates falling down as I come back up, and then I'm falling down again. :saddowns:

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah can't say I'm a fan of the map choice but I got the medic wings and engie gnome beard so I'm happy with that.

Bird head+Archimedes+bird wings+meet the medic taunt :getin: I knew keeping the medic bird head was a good idea!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Welp, I crash every time the bumper cars start. You ruined Halloween Valve. :(

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
1) Get Necro Hammer
2) Change name to MC Hammer Reference
3) Demohammer

edit: Alternatively, 3) BFB and Crit Cola Scout, hammer fools at the speed of sound.

edit edit: Bonus points for using the macho mann sunglasses and spamming Mustachio sounds from L4D2 when you kill someone, "SURPRISEYOU ahaha.. mustachio"

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 30, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I've been away/deathly ill for the past 2 weeks can someone just update me on the whole custom HUD situation? I use a self-made HUD but I can't figure out what is causing the problems I am experiencing, so I tried the latest pvhud and evehud versions and had the exact same issues. Is there just no fix currently? Is it a temporary halloween thing that will fix itself? Does anyone use a custom HUD that is patched to work with the current TF2 version?

Also, I can't use keybinds to switch class loadouts with my numpad anymore. I get a console message about changing loadouts too quickly. Why does valve incrementally ruin everything I like about this game. :eng99:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I use a customized version of EVEHud that I haven't updated in months and see no problem with the game. Spent all night bumper carting with no visual glitches.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Killing totally unaware people during made up truces when Merasmus is there: Still fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
YouTube supports 60fps videos now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbBMfaas6iY

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

so are they going to add ways to get more stuff or is the 2 boxes and the hammer it?

I loved just playing Helltower all day, casting spells and finding out what silly item I got

This map is really cool and I like it but without a gift every 45 minutes I'm not really playing it as much as I thought I'd be

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Halloween/carnivalization of the map is pretty weak too, but I guess most of them outside of Mann Manor are, and that was a special case. I did laugh at "THE MISSING LINK BETWEEN MAN AND CHILD" though

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Are gifts in maps like Helltower still on that horrible 3 hour timer or have they reset it back to the old one with the start of the event?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Hey everyone. I am want to apologize for this not so great event. Whenever I actually take part in special events like this, its seems to be lovely.
Whenever I miss them, they tend to be the best event every and no way it can be topped.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

DrNewton posted:

Hey everyone. I am want to apologize for this not so great event. Whenever I actually take part in special events like this, its seems to be lovely.
Whenever I miss them, they tend to be the best event every and no way it can be topped.

this event is good though?

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

oddium posted:

The Halloween/carnivalization of the map is pretty weak too, but I guess most of them outside of Mann Manor are, and that was a special case. I did laugh at "THE MISSING LINK BETWEEN MAN AND CHILD" though

Yeah, that scout poster and merasmuses voice acting are the only parts of this map that's gotten me to laugh :shobon:

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

DrPaper posted:

this event is good though?

A lot of people don't like this event. :/

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
So right now if you zoom in as sniper, then taunt, you're stuck zoomed in but can move and shoot and switch weapons as though you're not, you can't actually snipe again so it's useless unless you want to harass people from across maps with constant 50~ damage bodyshots or just taps of the smg.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Ae1AFMt-g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Trabisnikof posted:

The servers that automatically start bumper car mode are the best.

I've just been teleporting my team back here, and waiting for the other guys to cap :shrek:

• Locked thread