Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fax Sender posted:

i think i am going to try to draw a fantasy guitar and i think everyone else should to so that we may be judged by that

mine already exists

https://www.google.com/search?site=...853.8Rh329b4Ze0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does anyone make a superstrat style tele? If so that is my ideal guitar.

Westone also had ya covered

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Fair Hallion posted:

Westone also had ya covered

I found a westone spectrum dx at a pawn shop for like $150, a bit beat up (the finish is thick car paint so god knows what the previous owner did to chip it) the electronics needed some circuit cleaner and I had to set up a floating trem (that experience was part of why I bought it though), but it may be my best purchase in terms of playability-for-money.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really want a charvel san dimas now

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah apparently Fender and Fernandes also made some but they are heinously rare and expensive. I should really just build one, I have most of a Agile or SX telecaster and some dealextreme humbuckers laying around here somewhere. Getting the neck right might be hard.

If they're to the right spec neck-pocket wise, I'm pretty much certain Warmoth do wizard contoured necks that fit teles.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Schpyder posted:

IDK if this is a realpost or not but hasn't pretty much every Gibson ever made had a tilt-back headstock?

In fact, didn't pretty much all electric guitars of any stripe have angled headstocks because that's what accoustics had right up until Leo Fender shook things up with the Telecaster and its utilitarian design? Even the Rickenbacker frying pan had an angled headstock.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Yea, this is right. Leo Fender worked out how to make good-sounded electric guitars efficiently (the original tele's were actually made out of pine left over from amplifier cases, the thought they dinged too easy so he switched to ash, which was pretty much regarded as only good for firewood at the time so it was dirt cheap). Telecasters and Stratocasers are great examples of industrial design. There's a reason that the stratocaster is the most copied guitar, it was designed with mass production in mind.
This is the sort of info I was looking for. Thanks.

Acquire Currency! posted:

gently caress me dr. F gently caress me harder
OMG that is so hot.

I whipped this up on some website a while back. Not sure about the color, but in general the details are right. Pretty sure if I had the money to burn I could find the parts I needed on eBay to make this:

Ok, no doubt about it. That's loving awesome. I love the thin profile and the beautiful woods and finishes.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 30, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

This is absolute truth.

You've basically got 2 choices, stand like a statue and make sure you hit every note perfectly, or have some fun, engage the crowd, drop a few notes here and there but make sure everyone's having enough fun that no one gives a poo poo.

I'll take jumping around and having a good time over being boring any day.
And I'll do it all the while playing my gaudy gay rainbow geetar (and SOON my GBSuitar).

Check your PM's, need your input!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

I whipped this up on some website a while back. Not sure about the color, but in general the details are right. Pretty sure if I had the money to burn I could find the parts I needed on eBay to make this:

or for like $500 the rondo custom shop (i.e. ibanez's old korean factory) will make one just like it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

W424 posted:

The great thing about punk is that for ~40 years they've stuck to the same look/uniform so you can immediately go "gently caress no".

lol why would you go gently caress no to punk/hardcore unless you are a boring grandpa

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

or for like $500 the rondo custom shop (i.e. ibanez's old korean factory) will make one just like it
Really? Because that would be sweet and I don't have enough hard-tails in my life.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
"ugh those guys going balls out on stage playing loud messy riffs.... no thanks" *watches a dude stand stock still shredding in front of a fan for 2 hours*

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Really? Because that would be sweet and I don't have enough hard-tails in my life.
Apparently their waitlist is really long right now, think it was mentioned here or in the guitar megathread over in ML recently.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

You could probably get one of those AliXpress sellers to make you one for not too much. Not really sure if I should be encouraging you to buy more pointy guitars though....

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
you could always just paypal me some bus fare and I'll fart in your open mouth

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

"ugh those guys going balls out on stage playing loud messy riffs.... no thanks" *watches a dude stand stock still shredding in front of a fan for 2 hours*
Don't think we're watching the same shows. I have the DVD of Live at The Astoria London and it's pretty much the opposite of what you just described. But, whatever.

One of the funniest things about that show for me is when they bust out Shyboy (one of my favorite tunes) and Billy doesn't even try to sing the verse with the warp-speed licks in it. He doesn't even try to do both, so those vocals are just absent. Couldn't he just let MacAlpine sing it?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 30, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
My 2001 MiM Strat is my favorite guitar, for what that is worth (very little). Also, built brick shithouse strong.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Dr. Faustus are you an alien who is trying to practice human language? if so you are doing a good job little buddy.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Dr. Faustus are you an alien who is trying to practice human language? if so you are doing a good job little buddy.
Yes.
Also, thank thoo.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Since we are dreaming up guitars:

That's all I ever wanted. 3 P90 Goldtop. Preferably with the wrap around bridge.

Why don't they make one? I'd pay a stupid amount for one. :sigh: Instead they make 50 different normal Les Paul models with robot tuners in every terrible color possible.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 30, 2014

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dirt posted:

That's all I ever wanted. 3 P90 Goldtop.

Why don't they make one? I'd pay a stupid amount for one. :sigh: Instead they make 50 different Les Paul models with robot tuners in every terrible color possible.

If only agile weren't so busy that's definitely something they'd do a good job of.

Alternatively, assuming they make a 2 p90 gold top, you could always just get a luthier to rout out one more pickup cavity and adjust the wiring appropriately, maybe even fix the inevitable screwups that got past qc while they're at it. I mean if you're already splashing out on a Gibson, that wouldn't be that much more of a deal right?

Sleepflower posted:

Thanks for reminding me I needed to check if there were solid cheap headphones available because mine are poo poo and need replacing, btw. I had to remove a disk of paper which covered the speakers and a little internal mic for noise cancelling to make them sound at all decent, because apparently "don't put thick paper over your speakers" isn't something all headphone designers understand :psyduck:

Update: After getting my new headphones, they still weren't as good as the dead pair and at that moment I realised that while I couldn't find the break in the wire, I could just replace it entirely (and also checked to make sure the speaker itself wasn't busted). It worked, but because I'm cheap the result is a bit relevant to this thread:

I had the 3.5mm to RCA cable lying around and it was the right length. The cables aren't held in place securely though, so they're relegated to home listening now.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Dirt posted:

That's all I ever wanted. 3 P90 Goldtop. Preferably with the wrap around bridge.

that is extremely my poo poo, also.

How would the 3-position toggle work with 3 pickups though? Would the middle position be "all pickups on"

Wouldn't you want/need a 5-way?

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Dirt posted:

Why don't they make one? I'd pay a stupid amount for one. :sigh: Instead they make 50 different normal Les Paul models with robot tuners in every terrible color possible.

this is actually really good and giving me a few different ideas

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

I am 100% sure I've seen one somewhere, maybe it was a limited Epiphone run or something? I knew I should have brought it, it was only £200.

Sleepflower posted:

Alternatively, assuming they make a 2 p90 gold top, you could always just get a luthier to rout out one more pickup cavity and adjust the wiring appropriately, maybe even fix the inevitable screwups that got past qc while they're at it. I mean if you're already splashing out on a Gibson, that wouldn't be that much more of a deal right?

Routing arch-tops is annoying. It's fairly easy to knock up a jig to do it but some people will charge you a fuckload of money for that. Plus you may have to do some routing on the switch cavity to fit in a bigger switch with more options.

Fair Hallion posted:

How would the 3-position toggle work with 3 pickups though? Would the middle position be "all pickups on"

You can get 5 position toggle switches cheaply enough. You could get away with a 3-way with a few push/pull pots, although it'd be horrible to use. I'd put in a 7 position rotary switch with chicken-head knob (same positions as a strat but with neck + bridge and all on), but then I like rotary switches. Click click click.

Edit: It looks like there is a good demand for 3-p90 goldtop online. I guess I'll make one on spec one day...

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 30, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

lol why would you go gently caress no to punk/hardcore unless you are a boring grandpa

Because it's loving boring rock music for grandpas.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

Routing arch-tops is annoying. It's fairly easy to knock up a jig to do it but some people will charge you a fuckload of money for that.

Huh, I didn't think they'd be much harder, shows how much I know.

What's the default wiring (selector/v/t) on the 3 humbucker lp's? I vaguely recall thinking they were cool and then finding out at least part of that and changing my mind.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Sleepflower posted:

What's the default wiring (selector/v/t) on the 3 humbucker lp's? I vaguely recall thinking they were cool and then finding out at least part of that and changing my mind.

looks like a regular lp with a push-pull turning the middle pickup on and off

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sleepflower posted:

Update: After getting my new headphones, they still weren't as good as the dead pair and at that moment I realised that while I couldn't find the break in the wire, I could just replace it entirely (and also checked to make sure the
Do you mind if I ask you a headphone-related question?

It's this:
I've owned so many headphones (and earbuds) since the old days, and when I went to repair a set I found something odd.
The hot wire would often be wrapped in a plastic-y mess that could not be easily removed for soldering in new wire or contacts. Do you know if this is an intentional practice to stop home-repair guys for fixing their headphones or does it serve some other purpose?

I've been lucky enough and patient enough to scrape that poo poo away and make dead headphones useful again, but I've always wondered why that "sticky-when-hot and not-conductive" poo poo was present in the wires.

Just curious.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Fair Hallion posted:

It depends how it's wired.

Mu Uncle has a 3 Humbucker Les Paul that has Volume/Volume/Volume and 1 master tone knob and the toggle switch. I believe that setup is called "Frampton Wiring"(lol). You can use the volume knob to add in the middle pickup I think.

I had a 3 Humbucker Schecter awhile ago that had a master volume and 3 tones, and the pickups were wired Neck/Neck+Middle/Bridge on the 3 way.

If I were me, I'd wire it with some push/pull knobs. Like one for Bridge always on and middle always on on, so you could get 7 pickup configurations out of it. I think someone makes a 5 way Les Paul style toggle too. So there it that option as well.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 30, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sleepflower posted:

You can't just rest the router on top because of the curve (you'd get a curved rout), so you need to make a platform for the router. It's not hard to do but it's a bit fiddly.

Sleepflower posted:

Varies from model to model. I remember one I worked on recently had a 4 position switch that went Neck, Neck/Middle, Bridge/Middle, Bridge. Another one was 3 position with a push/pull for middle, but I'm not sure if that was original as that guitar had been butchered.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do you mind if I ask you a headphone-related question?

It's this:
I've owned so many headphones (and earbuds) since the old days, and when I went to repair a set I found something odd.
The hot wire would often be wrapped in a plastic-y mess that could not be easily removed for soldering in new wire or contacts. Do you know if this is an intentional practice to stop home-repair guys for fixing their headphones or does it serve some other purpose?

I've been lucky enough and patient enough to scrape that poo poo away and make dead headphones useful again, but I've always wondered why that "sticky-when-hot and not-conductive" poo poo was present in the wires.

Just curious.

I've never run into it in headphones, but if I'm right about what you're talking about (large lumps of plasticy gunk?) I've always assumed it's intended to keep things in place if they're going to be under strain as well as to help prevent shorts. I doubt it's that critical in headphones. I don't really have a tonne of experience with this stuff though.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Fair Hallion posted:

This does the job.

Looks like a nightmare for everyone involved though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sleepflower posted:

(large lumps of plasticy gunk?) I've always assumed it's intended to keep things in place
That actually makes good sense and I think it answers my question. Thank you.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

W424 posted:

Because it's loving boring rock music for grandpas.

There is nothing cooler than some sad twat in his mid 40's singing about being a sexually frustrated 17 year old and how his dad is a big jerk.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

crashdome posted:

This does the job.

Those switches can gently caress off, they are confusing to install and use. I prefer using component switches. They do give you a lot of options though.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

crashdome posted:

This does the job.

jesus christ what a poorly thought out idea

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

White Dog Eggs posted:

Those switches can gently caress off, they are confusing to install and use.

ok I gotta see a wiring diagram of this because lol

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

ok I gotta see a wiring diagram of this because lol

The pickup colour coding shown in this diagram does not represent any particular manufacturer - please follow key

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
holy jesus that switch lol

i ended up making a bunch of retarded guitars and i guess this one is kind of the least retarded so far or w/e. it's not quite my dream though, i'd have to take the pencils and rulers out to do that but idk when i can get that done

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stux posted:

i wonder if that's why steve vai wears those old jewish lady gradient shades on stage, not so much to be cool because haha lol but to keep his eyes from drying out with all those fans going kinda like skydivers

in that case he might as well go whole hog and pick up some of those sport goggles like kareem abdul-jabbar used to wear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fax Sender posted:

holy jesus that switch lol

i ended up making a bunch of retarded guitars and i guess this one is kind of the least retarded so far or w/e. it's not quite my dream though, i'd have to take the pencils and rulers out to do that but idk when i can get that done

im the picasso aspects of this guitar

• Locked thread