Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Thunderbro posted:

That's incredibly sad even for one dude. Like that's the level of garbage a 12 year old could poop out in 8 hours if you gave them $100.

Meth - Not Even Once

Its sadder than you even think at first glance. He hasn't even renamed the assets to something to suit his production. They are carrying the names of the objects as you would import them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

New video update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oELd95jqaFc

This is the one that they supposedly spent a lot of time polishing on.

I'll just let that sink in.
Looking at how they proudly display a character running into the field to battle "a skeleton" (with the cackle sound) by meleeing it to death, it's pretty clear it's a big EQ nostalgia wanna-be thing. I'd have respect for it as a hobby project, in the spirit of EQ1, but it's just so laughably hyped (by the developers only). Might as well just play the real EQ1 (as I am right now).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Byolante posted:

The mountains are prefabs and the textures and grass are too. I'm not sure about the actual castle walls and gate but I think they are, hard to tell without buying the specific assets I think they are and checking.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7110

thats your skeletons

The rest is a hodgepodge of 'starter kits' if you go looking on the assets store.

The boats in Everquest look better than the boat in that video.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Pantheon - Brad McQuaid's Unity Store: The MMO
Pantheon - Brad McQuaid: putting the fund in Christian Fundamentalism
Pantheon - Crowdfunding Drugs, Bigotry, and Unity; Crowdsourcing Everything Else

30.5 Days posted:

I can tell why they are excited about this, it would have KILLED in 1999.
I sometimes wonder how often, if ever, some game "devs" (too generous, really, to call Brad) actually play games to know where they stand compared to competition.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

bUm posted:

I sometimes wonder how often, if ever, some game "devs" (too generous, really, to call Brad) actually play games to know where they stand compared to competition.

Youtube Comment From Recent Video posted:

Glad the kickstarter stills announces these videos to us. I need this game! I am so tired of current MMORPG's, I tried SWTOR, Rift, GW2, TSW, Archeage, Final Fantasy 76, etc, a few of them had some good aspects but they are just made for such dumb people. I was only a kid when I played Everquest so age has nothing to do with it, I succeeded just fine and the challenge was the thing that hooked me. You just don't get that anymore, they are made so everyone wins, the game is winnable no matter what you do, all you have to do is log in, do what the quests tell you, and the XP and gear slowly drips in. Anyone can press the LFG button, get in a dungeon group and follow the herd spamming their hotkeys and that's it, job done. You can't fail. The only hurdle is the time it takes. EQ wasn't like that, it was actually challenging, you could log in and screw up so badly you go backwards. But actually having consequence made the game so much more meaningful and exciting.

Some people just want backwards games, I guess.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Nothing says fun like losing a week's leveling progress to a single night's progression raiding!

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
What gets me is that old MMOs weren't actually challenging, they were an exercise in tedium. I have a vague nostalgia for some of it, but then I remember how it was etiquette in FFXI to stay in XP parties for at least 2-3 hours at a time, and finding a party could take hours as a dps, and I wonder how the hell I ever had the time for it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You were in grade school at the time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Or, ya know, he could've been in college like lots of us. Or even older.

But, yes, to his point - it's been brought up a billion times how the challenge in EQ was dealing with time sinks. Unless you were raiding, in which the challenge was "how do you herd 50 people in a single direction".

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, I think Brad McQuaid is what would've happened if John Romero found opiates and god, and also thought Daikatana was a misunderstood fluke and never learned from his hubris. Both got their start on a game and company that was progressive for it's time, and both used the star power from that to leverage their own studio and team. Both of them through the power of hubris and mismanagment released steaming a steaming shitpile of a game in Vanguard and Daikatana. After both games got panned both went underground for a while, Romero worked on iOS games, McQuaid just dissappeared from the face of the earth.

Both of them are now staging their comeback game, but I trust that Romero actually learned from his hubris from over a decade ago and is willing to make a game that modern audiences want to play whereas McQuaid is still going "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER HOW GREAT EQ1 PRE-LUCLIN WAS? WE'RE DOING THAT poo poo YET AGAIN ONLY WITH OPEN SOURCE BULLSHIT ASSETS AND CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALISM."

Besides that, Romero wins in the "Has a fabulous silky head of hair" category, that alone gets my vote.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Razakai posted:

What gets me is that old MMOs weren't actually challenging, they were an exercise in tedium. I have a vague nostalgia for some of it, but then I remember how it was etiquette in FFXI to stay in XP parties for at least 2-3 hours at a time, and finding a party could take hours as a dps, and I wonder how the hell I ever had the time for it.

I was level 45 for 2 years in Everquest, that poo poo was not fun and gently caress McQuaid :cripes:

We played it because it was the best thing at the time

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I think Brad McQuaid is what would've happened if John Romero found opiates and god, and also thought Daikatana was a misunderstood fluke and never learned from his hubris. Both got their start on a game and company that was progressive for it's time, and both used the star power from that to leverage their own studio and team. Both of them through the power of hubris and mismanagment released steaming a steaming shitpile of a game in Vanguard and Daikatana. After both games got panned both went underground for a while, Romero worked on iOS games, McQuaid just dissappeared from the face of the earth.

Both of them are now staging their comeback game, but I trust that Romero actually learned from his hubris from over a decade ago and is willing to make a game that modern audiences want to play whereas McQuaid is still going "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER HOW GREAT EQ1 PRE-LUCLIN WAS? WE'RE DOING THAT poo poo YET AGAIN ONLY WITH OPEN SOURCE BULLSHIT ASSETS AND CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALISM."

Besides that, Romero wins in the "Has a fabulous silky head of hair" category, that alone gets my vote.

Off-topic I know, but since there isn't an actual game to discuss...

I forced myself through the miserable first "shoot the tiny bugs" level of Diakatana. After that, though, I actually found the game fun and enjoyable. It had some new ideas that were cool (hub levels, sidekicks, light rpg elements). The sidekick AI left a lot to be desired, but it was mostly fine.

Of course, the best feature was how the game bugged out right before the last boss, and couldn't be beaten (the sidekick never showed up so you couldn't enter the boss room). I think I had to noclip cheat through the door, heh.

All that to say - without the stupid hype, Diakatana could've been reviewed as a decent, fun game with some cool new stuff, that just had a bad first level, and need a patch to fix a few glaring bugs.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 14, 2014

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Razakai posted:

With all the changes they've made to it, FFXI is easily my favorite Final Fantasy. Just don't touch the end game... Actually, that's true of most of the later FFs. gently caress chocobo racing, blitzball, lightning dodging and giant turtle farming.

On third thought, that's true of all games period. 'End games' suck, especially in MMOs.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Most of the reviews I read of Daikatana boiled down to "If this had come out when it was supposed to come out, it would have been pretty good." Just, you know, they had a team full of first-timers and ineffective management, so what should have taken months took years.

Hmm.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My favorite feature of Daikatana was the arrow texture that were 4 times the size of every other texture in the game (and not even a correct resolution, because it was 1300 pixels wide) because it was a huge poo poo-show as far as actually communicating with the rest of the team went.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I still recommend that gamespot? piece on everything that went terribly wrong with Daikatana. Such a good read into how never to do something. Ironic how much Pantheon was similar in attitude. Had Brad gotten the money he wanted it would have been a development shitshow as Brad demanded everyone be aware of how awesome his ranger god king is.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

No More Heroes posted:

We played it because it was the best thing at the time

UO was still going strong and AC was around the corner. You backed the wrong horse is all. You're in our world now.:smug:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

randombattle posted:

I still recommend that gamespot? piece on everything that went terribly wrong with Daikatana. Such a good read into how never to do something. Ironic how much Pantheon was similar in attitude. Had Brad gotten the money he wanted it would have been a development shitshow as Brad demanded everyone be aware of how awesome his ranger god king is.

Do you mean the Dallas Observer? http://www.dallasobserver.com/1999-01-14/news/stormy-weather/

My beloved hometown village voice-style paper has a few decent articles every now and then, and this one is one of my favorites.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Razakai posted:

What gets me is that old MMOs weren't actually challenging, they were an exercise in tedium.

Also we didn't have all of the Wikis, UI add-ons, YouTube videos, detailed DPS spreadsheets/calculators, guild forums, and years of genre experience that we do now. It seemed like there were less min/max types and more role-players as well.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

MH Knights posted:

It seemed like there were less min/max types and more role-players as well.

I miss those RPers. They used to be incredibly fun to harass in UO cause they were so thin-skinned.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

30.5 Days posted:

Do you mean the Dallas Observer? http://www.dallasobserver.com/1999-01-14/news/stormy-weather/

My beloved hometown village voice-style paper has a few decent articles every now and then, and this one is one of my favorites.

No it was apparently killed at some point in some website update from gamespot.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000619175618/http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg-daikatana/p9_01.html

90s as gently caress webdesign. I forgot that Geoff Keighley did it.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Razakai posted:

EQ was one of the first graphical MUDs, it basically just took the concepts from the old text based online games and slapped on a GUI on top of it. One MUD I had invested far too much time in required something like 5 years to reach the maximum level and had permanent death so EQ wasn't as punishing as it seems today.

EQ was popular because back then it was new and it was the best game available of it's type. This game even if it somehow does get funded and produced is going to be a disaster in large scale MMO-terms because it's target audience will be very small and they do not have the capability to produce enough content to compete with the established games.

There isn't anything wrong with small though, when EVE was made it was made on a shoe-string budget and while they had great dreams was based on achievable short-term goals. The only chance this game has is if he plans for a very small game, cut out all the stuff which requires a lot of development time and just focus on some core aspects of the game, ie EVE when launched only had 25k subscribers and it only had small skirmish combat, but it provided an alternative to the current type of MMO games and the subscription based increased every year, the size of the company grew and they improved the game to what is around 500k subs today, it isn't WoW in size but 500k x $15 is $7.5m per month or $90m annually for subscription alone, you could probably double or triple that with micro transactions.

The problem is, going for EQ-style isn't offering much in the way of something new, high fantasy isn't really a niche MMO market and the genre is flooded with free to play options, most are horrific FTP models but some are not. Brad's only hope is to offer something nobody else is offering, while it may sound naive to make a punishing MMO based on out-dated ideology, but he isn't going to compete in the regular domain and he would only need to capture a small sliver of the MMO community to make it economically viable.

However, he is taking a risk with other people's money, that is okay in my opinion if a company fronts up the cash because they take the risk and expect to get the pay-out if it is successful, however, taking that risk with the savings from average joes who get nothing other than the slim possibility that a game might get developed then I question the ethics of that kind of strategy.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, new screens on Brad's FB. Apparently you have to friend him, so fudge that.

"Some interim screenshots. As before, the crude background on some of the shots is just a staging area we use to test gameplay. Apparently, though, there was a 'nasty' issue with our skeleton (per one of our favorite 'fan sites'), so we had to get a fix in ASAP. And you know how these middle of the night patches go..." - Brad

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?5912-ReTrolled-Pantheon-Home-of-the-Skeptics-and-Malcontents&p=888538&viewfull=1#post888538 (that's the first post with screen, view the next few posts)

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
Wow, Rerolled have 226 pages on Pantheon. We are slipping. :(

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
you have to register to see that image and i ain't gonna do that so rehost it god drat it

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nauta posted:

you have to register to see that image and i ain't gonna do that so rehost it god drat it

Sorry, didn't realize it required registering. I'll repost later when I'm home if noone else does first.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
"Elenac IS ARROWS BY A Rerolled Skeleton"

Is this some kind of Internet meme or just terrible?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Nakar posted:

"Elenac IS ARROWS BY A Rerolled Skeleton"

Is this some kind of Internet meme or just terrible?

The closest I can think is "ARROWED" from Teen Girl Squad, but I doubt they're even that clever.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Here's the others:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Skeletons: the game

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I like how Spirit of the Wolf is the buff they have in those logs. It's like McQuaid can't move past his EQ1 heritage and has to ape on it as much as possible without breaking copyright laws.

I also like how the combat log is inconsistent. Sometimes it's "A skeleton hits the guy for 2" and sometimes it's "A skeleton kicks a guy for -20" making it seem like the skeleton has magical healing kicks.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Wait, am I getting this right? Brad is so butthurt that he named an enemy after Rerolled?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

DeathSandwich posted:

I like how Spirit of the Wolf is the buff they have in those logs. It's like McQuaid can't move past his EQ1 heritage and has to ape on it as much as possible without breaking copyright laws.

I also like how the combat log is inconsistent. Sometimes it's "A skeleton hits the guy for 2" and sometimes it's "A skeleton kicks a guy for -20" making it seem like the skeleton has magical healing kicks.
That second screenshot actually looks worse than the actual Field of Infinite-Spawning Skeletons in Paineel in EQ1.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

RottenK posted:

Wait, am I getting this right? Brad is so butthurt that he named an enemy after Rerolled?

Uh...pretty sure it's just a joke. I mean, this entire project deserve a ton of flak, but I don't think he's butthurt over internets.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

DeathSandwich posted:

It's like McQuaid can't move past his EQ1 heritage

He's attacking with a Fiery Avenger for gently caress's sake.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Skeletons: the game

Generic 2001 MMO.jpg

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's so everquest that the monsters have indefinite articles in front of their names. That's pretty loving everquest.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
A Rerolled Skeleton IS BERSERKED BY A Rerolled Skeleton for 50 points!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

We should be able to get you guys at least two more sets of screenshots, hopefully with the newer ones showing some new areas or parts of zones you haven't seen yet. Then again, we really want the next movie to blow people away, so we're going to be careful not to spoil too much.

Apparently there is another video coming out in the next couple of weeks. :woop:

• Locked thread