Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

Gripen5 posted:

A few months back I decided to go to a guitar shop and play just about every guitar that I had even a mild interest in just to see what type of guitars I liked. Oddly enough I tried LP style Epiphones and ESPs and enjoyed them. But as much as I want to like my Agile I just can't because of the weight. Messing around with a guitar for 10 minutes just isn't the same as owning it. In fact, I don't think I found a single guitar I didn't like.

I do admit I keep going back and forth on getting rid of it, just because it is quite different than my strat and is a classic guitar to own. I bought a Blacktop Jaguar HH as sort of a replacement for it. Haven't really figured out if I do or don't like it either. Guess I am not really happy with guitars that aren't strats. Nothing like your first guitar I guess :D

I really liked the Humbucker sound on the Gibson SG I had, but I found it really uncomfortable to play sitting down. How does the humbucker sound compare on the Jaguar you have to a Gibson SG or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Alright goons I'm putting a set of NYXL's on my Tele right now, they better be good or I want $.50 from everyone who recommended them.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Gretsch has never been known for their quality, and this is especially true of the old Gretsch's.

I tried a new 5420 and didn't like it.

Personally, I'd look at a used DeArmond starfire, or something similar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

What kind of guitar do they have? Also drop D is heresy.

drop Db is good doe

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

HollisBrown posted:

Alright goons I'm putting a set of NYXL's on my Tele right now, they better be good or I want $.50 from everyone who recommended them.

They are good but they are not 2x the price of normal strings good, hth.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

drop Db is good doe

I keep my 12 string in drop Bb. Owned.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

HollisBrown posted:

I swear by them. Update.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like them but I'm addicted to the sound of cobalts

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

muike posted:

drop Db is good doe

i like me some Eb drop Db

e: I have no idea why that band did a lot of things, and I too suggested putting the songs back to back. But I mean switching back and forth between drop D is nothing to complain about. It just stuck out a lot in my mind, especially since he had a tuner pedal.

Then again the band was pretty bad so I'm glad I don't have to go to another of the shows.

booshi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 31, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I thought having songs in other tunings was an excuse to have more guitars

Wonder if bands count that as a business expense for tax reasons. "Oh I had to buy a new guitar because my latest ballad has the B string tuned down a step"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

baka kaba posted:

Wonder if bands count that as a business expense for tax reasons. "Oh I had to buy a new guitar because my latest ballad has the B string tuned down a step"
As a general rule you can deduct things like equipment costs and travel expenses associated with anything you do for a living. If you don't do it for a living, you can usually only take deductions up to the amount of income you earned from the activity (so if you earned five hundred bucks from playing bars and bought a four grand Les Paul to do it, you could write off US$500 but not the full four grand).

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional musician (although I've made money playing) and I've never written off equipment costs. I have owned a couple small tech companies and have had to dick around with figuring out what equipment and operating costs can and can not be written off, and that's where most of my knowledge of business tax deductions comes from.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I am willing to bet it was a reason most 1980s bands showed like 20 different instruments in a music video.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

drop Db is good doe

I'm an autistic retard that can't stand the patterns changing on me and doing something like putting all my guitars in New Standard Tuning would be the most cruel poo poo anyone could ever do to me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i am a heron and will berak into ur house and make a mess of ur standard tunings

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I ordered a used Eleven Rack to replace my Cube 80w as the practice device. Sold the Cube and it pretty much paid for the 11r. I can't wait to run it into my JC's effects loop.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Warcabbit posted:

I am willing to bet it was a reason most 1980s bands showed like 20 different instruments in a music video.

Get a $60,000 advance from your record label to buy equipment, go to your friend's guitar shop and buy $20,000 worth of gear on heavy discount . He writes out a fake receipt for three times the price and you pocket the difference between you. Record company doesn't give a poo poo because they have billions to throw around (at least they did in the eighties) and you all get to write it off as expenses because you have a hotshot accountanting team who can hide it well.

Its the same dodge as big stars having to "refit their studio" every two years.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
standard tuning orthodoxy

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

tuning a guitar onstage can be pretty fast if you know what your doing. plus most of you aren't doing some really wierd out there tunings

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It may be faster than you think. Tomorrow, Agreed gets a magic little package I sent him to review. Let's see how this bit of snake oil holds up to the test!

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

pyf alternative tunings:

E G D G B D

D D# A# D# G G

Eb A Db A(2/3)# E(2/3)b A(2/3)b

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 31, 2014

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

C C C C C C

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
A B C D E F G

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

A B C D E F G

This is the only logical tuning for guitar. :colbert:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

RagingHematoma posted:

I really liked the Humbucker sound on the Gibson SG I had, but I found it really uncomfortable to play sitting down. How does the humbucker sound compare on the Jaguar you have to a Gibson SG or similar?

I wish I had a good answer for you. But have never played an SG plugged in (just noodled in the store unplugged) and don't really have a good ear for that anyway.

All the reviews seems to say that the pickups in the the Jaguar are terrible and muddy. However, I haven't really thought that, but through amplitube in headphones they sound pretty good. Did notice that the pickup selector switch cause my signal to crack when the switch is touched at all. A common problem from what I read.

I mostly play my cleans on an AC-30 model and my dirty stuff through a Marshall JCM-800 model. Sounds pretty good to me. Definitely the classic humbucker sound. I think it sounds fantastic for cleans especially.

Can't do it tonight. But maybe over the weekend I will try and A/B it a bit with my Agile-3000 and report back on my impressions. It's sounds terrible when recording through reaper, so I am not sure I will do that. But I wouldn't want to subject you guys to my playing anyway.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Dropped D is hilarious to complain about and the dumbest problem ever but here's the answer to it and every other tuning inconvenience under the sun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7EtCQKyNFJM

I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on one of these for a year or two now but basically, it's going to happen sometime in the new year.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

B Gb Db Gb Bb Db

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
I tune a half-step down and capo up to standard, I break less strings that way.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

nrr posted:

Dropped D is hilarious to complain about and the dumbest problem ever but here's the answer to it and every other tuning inconvenience under the sun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7EtCQKyNFJM

I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on one of these for a year or two now but basically, it's going to happen sometime in the new year.

Or you could be the 1 person target audience that gibson is shooting for.

Been thinking about switching the pickguard in my surf green jag from mint to red tortoiseshell. Yes?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Sockington posted:

I ordered a used Eleven Rack to replace my Cube 80w as the practice device. Sold the Cube and it pretty much paid for the 11r. I can't wait to run it into my JC's effects loop.

BRB. Breaking into Socks' practice room...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Alleric posted:

BRB. Breaking into Socks' practice room...

Room? I've got kids. Practice dungeon.

(4' tall crawl space under half our house I have slowly reclaimed as a dad-corner). And that's my tone carpet :colbert:

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Sockington posted:

(4' tall crawl space under half our house I have slowly reclaimed as a dad-corner). And that's my tone carpet :colbert:

Any part of that under your main TV room? 4ft + (joist space) in that kind of crawl space means opening up a 1ft x 1ft hole in the floor, covering it with ventilation grating, and then attaching a reverse-mount subwoofer enclosure with 16 12" subs in it. You can use the whole basement as the box. Bessel alignments rule.

Then you hook the entertainment space stuff to it, fire up Rocksmith 2014 and then bother people in the next county.

Man, I miss basements.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sockington posted:

Are you a midget or do you have to literally go on your knees?

D:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I sit on a big comfy chair that has low arm rests.

Edit: I use the space as somewhere I can leave a guitar out without making GBS threads my pants all day wondering if the kids knocked things over.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 31, 2014

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Sockington posted:

Edit: I use the space as somewhere I can leave a guitar out without making GBS threads my pants all day wondering if the kids knocked things over.

Storing your music equipment with the emergency supplies is always a good idea.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sockington posted:

Bass VIs own

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Would anyone like to share relatable stories about the successes and frustrations in finding the tone you hear in your head? I accidentally watched some PRS videos with their guitars through an Archon and it bugs the hell out of me how it's exactly the sound I've been looking for. I've always felt like their guitars would be a great match for me but I've never had the chance to play one.

I swear once or twice a year I get that PRS bug. It's tradition at this point.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sockington posted:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Hahaha. Imaginging sockington eating a can of cold soup while hiding in the tone corner. :D

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Hahaha. Imaginging sockington eating a can of cold soup while hiding in the tone corner. :D

I'll at least have a bowl to eat it out of since my 6x10s can rearrange dishes.

I also keep my booze down there, so gently caress the soup on second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Answered an ad regarding a temp sit-in situation with a local cover band. Short term, decent money, easy setlist, gently caress it, I got some free time coming up.

I send a few clips, get the audition time and place and show up this afternoon and unload my poo poo, which is where things just went bizarre.

Get a few songs in, things are going well, sounds good, everyone's gelling pretty well, no volume wars and then:

'Uhh, hey man, where's your amp? Are you just playing through that Line 6 thing over there?'
'Yup.'
'Dude, why'd you waste our loving time? We said loving bring loving PRO GEAR dude and that Mickey Mouse toy poo poo loving SUCKS gently caress that what the gently caress wasting our time ARGLEBLARGGGGHHHHHH, etc'
:stare:

So, without a word of argument (and had they mentioned any of this 'pro gear' bullshit in the ad, I'd have never replied in the first place, it's one of 'the signs') I flip the switch on my poo poo, snag my box and start coiling my cables into it.

The next guitarist they were auditioning (something of a local 'hero' and a long-term friend of mine) comes in, sees me and walks over to say hey and catch up a bit while I'm finishing putting my stuff away. We were chatting about the rally's shenanigans last week when he sees my rolling rack, gets all excited and asks if I brought my Axe-FX with me and when I answer yes, asks if he can play through it for his audition. I explained that I'd love to, but that my Mickey Mouse toy poo poo wasn't loving allowed at their loving audition for a loving PRO guitarist and that I should have kept my Christmas presents from my Mommy at home (I attempted to quote the guys as closely as possible while they stood there listening) but for him to swing by my place next week, hang out and give it a whirl.

He stood there a second while it kind of clicked, pulled out his phone, called someone and explained, clearly, that he wasn't going to be auditioning after all, to let everyone else know that it wasn't anything serious, just a bunch of guys who were more worried about 'PRO GEAR DUDE hahahaha right???' than ability and blahblah.

No one from the band says a WORD or so much as moves while he walks over to my crap, grabs the handle to my rack, throws them a jaunty half-salute sort of wave, says 'good luck guys, I'll let everybody know y'all're still looking for gear auditions' and we walk out while they stood in a little clump looking like guilty children who didn't quite understand what they'd done wrong.