Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Green Intern posted:

Further cementing that Sekai and Fumina are the best, and that Yuuma is a trashbaby.

Yuuma being a vile little rear end in a top hat is the perfect counterpoint to Sekai's earnest friendliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

According to /m/'s analysis the Destiny Gundam is detailed enough to see that whoever built the thing had next to no idea what the gently caress s/he was doing.

That just gets me more excited to see it in action.

A shoddily built Destiny being used by someone completely inept sounds incredible and I can't wait to see it. What details show that the guy is clueless, though? Apart from brooding on top of a playground structure, I mean.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

No idea what he's doing may be a little harsh, but they went out of their way to show that the Destiny is a completely vanilla snapbuild.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 30, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pureauthor posted:

According to /m/'s analysis the Destiny Gundam is detailed enough to see that whoever built the thing had next to no idea what the gently caress s/he was doing.

That just gets me more excited to see it in action.

It has nubs and seam lines. It's basically the most disgusting thing. Of course angry overly serious Destiny fan is bad at building.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It has nubs and seam lines. It's basically the most disgusting thing. Of course angry overly serious Destiny fan is bad at building.

It would be cool if he's actually such a good player that he can negate having a basic robot. It seems like in universe the abilities of what robot you have doesn't matter as much as how well you build it.

The closest you can get to piloting a bottom tier grunt suit then would be to just barely finish your kit, that kind of handicap is fun to some people.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The closest you can get to piloting a bottom tier grunt suit then would be to just barely finish your kit, that kind of handicap is fun to some people.

Take a ping pong ball, paint it gray, and stick Ball parts on it and see what happens?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

It would be cool if he's actually such a good player that he can negate having a basic robot. It seems like in universe the abilities of what robot you have doesn't matter as much as how well you build it.

It's going to be some secret Drunken Boxing-esque style, I reckon (for lack of a better simile). The gaps and sloppy craftsmanship let particles flow through the whole thing and make it even more powerful :pseudo:.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Pureauthor posted:

No idea what he's doing may be a little harsh, but they want out of their way to show that the Destiny is a completely vanilla snapbuild.

That's his secret. He made it look like poo poo so that if there was an experienced builder on the other team--like say, the winner of a Gunpla building tournament--they would underestimate it and think it's a piece of garbage.

In reality, it is the Build Destiny Gundam Amazing, and will be able to go toe-to-toe with the Build Burning Gundam.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Pyroi posted:

That's his secret. He made it look like poo poo so that if there was an experienced builder on the other team--like say, the winner of a Gunpla building tournament--they would underestimate it and think it's a piece of garbage.

It's shoddily built because it's secretly only a shell for the real suit inside.

That suit is a Dom.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pyroi posted:

In reality, it is the Build Destiny Gundam Amazing, and will be able to go toe-to-toe with the Build Burning Gundam.

No, it's just a lovely looking Destiny snapped together over another gunpla, Build Burning style. Just when his first round opponent shoots it in the chest an thinks they've won, out pops another Destiny, but magnificently built.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

'Ironic' Shitbuilding is still Shitbuilding. :colbert:

The kind of thing Yuuma would probably say.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

'Ironic' Shitbuilding is still Shitbuilding. :colbert:

The kind of thing Yuuma would probably say.

I never did anything more than put panel lines on my stuff, you should enjoy making the toy robots however you want.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Imagine being real smug and elitist but instead of being that way for like late era english literature you do that because somebody didn't properly cut all the nubs off of their plastic toy model.

That's the true villain of Build Fighters.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Destiny has a sick little brother called Mamoru who made the gunpla. That's why he is so angry while sitting on a jungle gym.
A low-quality build, brooding while referring to someone and loitering on a playground are some pretty direct hints.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm interested to see how a kit's build quality actually translates to performance. I think the only nod we've seen to this in the past was one of Sei's arms popping off in combat because it wasn't clicked in properly. Do visible seams lead to a looser fit of armor? Is topcoating like some kind of protective ifield or something?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkopath posted:

Imagine being real smug and elitist but instead of being that way for like late era english literature you do that because somebody didn't properly cut all the nubs off of their plastic toy model.

That's the true villain of Build Fighters.

So the /toy/ gunpla thread, where if you're not painting every kit you're a piece of poo poo?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Mr. Destiny has a sick little brother called Mamoru who made the gunpla. That's why he is so angry while sitting on a jungle gym.
A low-quality build, brooding while referring to someone and loitering on a playground are some pretty direct hints.

This but the kid is dead.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This but the kid is dead.

Yeah, this is the BF Shinn expy. Mamoru is stiff as a board and six feet down.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

I'm interested to see how a kit's build quality actually translates to performance. I think the only nod we've seen to this in the past was one of Sei's arms popping off in combat because it wasn't clicked in properly. Do visible seams lead to a looser fit of armor? Is topcoating like some kind of protective ifield or something?

It seems to involve durability. Reiji's Beginning Gundam was fragile as gently caress.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Pureauthor posted:

No idea what he's doing may be a little harsh, but they went out of their way to show that the Destiny is a completely vanilla snapbuild.

I was actually looking at this earlier and noted that it's apparently a 1/144 version of the MG Destiny, which confused the hell out of me when I was trying to figure out if it was the HG or the RG.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, this is the BF Shinn expy. Mamoru is stiff as a board and six feet down.

Nah, this is still Build Fighters, so it's probably a bit less dark than that. I'm thinking hospitalized, probably in a coma, after someone made fun of his Destiny Gundam looking like crap (probably because it was his first Gunpla), so he ran off crying and got hit by a car or something because he wasn't watching where he was going.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mamoru is his pet dog and that is what his gunpla looks like after Mamoru got his wet, slimy jaws on it.

Mamoru now feels terrible about it and notShinn is going to use that to show his dog that he still loves him and that it's no big deal.

Or something.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Broken Loose posted:

I was actually looking at this earlier and noted that it's apparently a 1/144 version of the MG Destiny, which confused the hell out of me when I was trying to figure out if it was the HG or the RG.
As long as it leads to a HG CE Destiny I'm happy.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

I sort of want Yuuma to be smug as hell about the destiny's build quality and then have his poo poo completely rocked by the guy's superior piloting skills. I like Yuuma, but it'd be funny

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
What I don't get is why there's a seam line on the left arm, but not the right? Animation error or plot significance? Is his entire strategy based around Destiny Knuckle-ing everything to death? Oh man, it'd be pretty funny if that's the lesson the world learned from watching Star Build Strike fight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, this is still Build Fighters, so it's probably a bit less dark than that. I'm thinking hospitalized, probably in a coma, after someone made fun of his Destiny Gundam looking like crap (probably because it was his first Gunpla), so he ran off crying and got hit by a car or something because he wasn't watching where he was going.

I dunno, things got fairly dark with Aila's backstory (starving orphan taken in by amoral scientist, subjected to what was basically emotional and physical abuse in addition to unethical neurological experiments), so I'd say him fighting in memory of a dead friend/relative isn't completely outside the show's established tone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The whole "Using the gunpla of a dead relative in their memory" actually the kind of thing I wish Build Fighters would do more of. It's dark, but not dark in a way that is completely unnatural to the setting of what is essentially a sports show.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Raxivace posted:

The whole "Using the gunpla of a dead relative in their memory" actually the kind of thing I wish Build Fighters would do more of. It's dark, but not dark in a way that is completely unnatural to the setting of what is essentially a sports show.

Sorry, GBF Try is a romantic comedy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Sorry, GBF Try is a romantic comedy.

His girlfriend loves gunpla but is in the hospital for an eye operation to restore her sight. Destiny guy doesn't know anything about gunpla but is using the Destiny she put together while blind and in the hospital (hence it being poorly put together). The tears of blood are symbolic of her injury and the feelings and emotions carried in that gunpla more than compensate for its quality and his lack of experience.

drat, now I want to root for this guy whose story I have completely made up.

Edit: Also it was a tragic gunpla related accident that was his fault and he feels super guilty about it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 30, 2014

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
All I want from Destiny guy is for him to get into a kicking contest with Sekai and win, only for Sekai to turn it around with his left leg.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
All I want from Destiny Dude is for him to take on a Strike Freedom and/or an Infinite Justice and make them look like Bernie at the end of 0080.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Too bad Fumina didn't take Ral's advice and went with a Gouf custom as a mid range suit. Also, does the guy from Osaka have an accent? My Japanese is rusty.

DookieSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 31, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He does but it isn't anywhere as loving intolerable as Mao's awful bullshit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Bad/annoying VAs are the curse of the Gundam X.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

chumbler posted:

His girlfriend loves gunpla but is in the hospital for an eye operation to restore her sight. Destiny guy doesn't know anything about gunpla but is using the Destiny she put together while blind and in the hospital (hence it being poorly put together). The tears of blood are symbolic of her injury and the feelings and emotions carried in that gunpla more than compensate for its quality and his lack of experience.

drat, now I want to root for this guy whose story I have completely made up.

Edit: Also it was a tragic gunpla related accident that was his fault and he feels super guilty about it.

Isn't that Joey from Yu Gi Oh if you swap girlfriend for sister?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

DookieSandwich posted:

Too bad Fumina didn't take Ral's advice and went with a Gouf custom as a mid range suit. Also, does the guy from Osaka have an accent? My Japanese is rusty.

She should've gotten a Byarlant Custom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NkBhgJwFCI

This machine kills Zekes :black101:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Azipod posted:

She should've gotten a Byarlant Custom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NkBhgJwFCI

This machine kills Zekes :black101:

Build Fighters has spoiled me, because those scenes look incredibly boring.

Can I never love again?

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Doesn't Sakai come from the same school as Mao? Shingyo? Maybe Mao trained the little rear end in a top hat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DookieSandwich posted:

Doesn't Sakai come from the same school as Mao? Shingyo? Maybe Mao trained the little rear end in a top hat.

He does, and it's natural to assume that Sakai is going to have a rivalry with Yuuma in the grand tradition of Sei and Mao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

chumbler posted:

Build Fighters has spoiled me, because those scenes look incredibly boring.

Can I never love again?

It's not just you. Unicorn in particular has an excess of "Prince of Space Moments" where people stand still and unload shitloads of shots into each other and they just bounce off harmlessly. The final fight against the Neo Zeong is insanely guilty of this, as the entire indoor half of the fight is just 2 idiots clearly wasting ammo because the other happens to be immune to gunfire.

Build Fighters makes getting hit look threatening. Conversely, a lot of people complained that too many people were one-shotted in season 1.

• Locked thread