Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey, my vassal republic magically died on its first inheritance. What's new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

Volkerball posted:

Most of the major DLC's are 75% off at the paradox store right now. Definitely snagging Rajas for $4.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/...ce=Announcement

Think I'm gonna get the DLC collection too.

Awesome, thanks for mentioning this. I have not been able to find Sword of Islam on that page or on Steam for that matter, does a later DLC include Sword of Islam or something?

I don't want to buy the collection because I already have ToG, but I'll still be missing Sword of Islam if I just get The Republic, SoA, and Rajas.

Edit: Found it on Steam still at full price. Welp, guess I'll just get the other three for now. At least that somewhat catches me up on my abysmal amount of CK2 DLC.

Samolety fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 30, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Samolety posted:

Awesome, thanks for mentioning this. I have not been able to find Sword of Islam on that page or on Steam for that matter, does a later DLC include Sword of Islam or something?

I don't want to buy the collection because I already have ToG, but I'll still be missing Sword of Islam if I just get The Republic, SoA, and Rajas.

Edit: Found it on Steam still at full price. Welp, guess I'll just get the other three for now. At least that somewhat catches me up on my abysmal amount of CK2 DLC.

It should be in the DLC collection for $30. It came out before Rajas.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Volkerball posted:

Oh hey, my vassal republic magically died on its first inheritance. What's new?

Don't you need to go to the beta patch to fix that?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any ETA on the official patch? I think I'm done playing until then. The only way I like to play is by creating elaborate plans for the next 200+ years, and I have yet to make it that far without something game-breaking happening. Like if your plan is to go from a county to a feudal reformed germanic with a primo empire and vassal kingdom republic, there's like a 10% chance that's going to work.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ulmont posted:

Don't you need to go to the beta patch to fix that?

You need a code to get the beta.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Volkerball posted:

No you don't, it's a public beta.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
If you're on Steam, right-click CK2->properties->betas.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Did Paradox tweak the movement rates at all? Because it's taking me 2-3 months to get my men to move to a province two over.

EDIT: This may actually stem from the fact that I've been playing The Winter King for the past couple of months so disregard.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Volkerball posted:

It has a box to put in a code, but actually you don't need to put anything into it, or even click submit. It confused me at first, but all you need to do is select the option, and it puts you in the beta.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
As an added challenge, I decided to only use Gavelkind in my current game. Except it's not a challenge at all. Most of my sons are given a military education and ask to join a holy order. For the ones that stay, I just appoint them as a bishop. The only time I've "lost" titles on succession is when I had lands outside of my capital duchy and wanted another son to inherit them.

And in exchange, I basically get primogeniture, bonus demesne, and no penalty for having unlanded sons.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

KOraithER posted:

And in exchange, I basically get primogeniture, bonus demesne, and no penalty for having unlanded sons.

I've found that the penalty for having unlanded sons is so minor as to be negligible, apart from them constantly bugging you to give them a fief, so I've never cared about that.

Incidentally, does anyone know how to make my personal demesne replenish its troops faster? My vassal levies get refreshed really quickly when they're no raised, but my personal troops take goddamn forever, even when I have my marshal parked on my capital.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I have a confession to make: I hate pretty borders

There is nothing more pleasing to me than a spread out realm of random castles and towns across several independent kingdoms. It's the same reason I enjoy the merchant republics sprinkling of coastal cities.

For me the shattered world mod isn't shattered enough, each individual holding should be independant. I'd like to see barons get more aggressive AI, so that as a count you might see a cute neighbourhood war between two castle holders in your province.
Everyone independent isn't really anti-pretty borders, since territory is still compact and contiguous in that circumstance. Pretty borders are violated when you get snaking realms and exclaves scattered all across the map.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

someone want to explain how this finnish pagan and his brothers ended up fighting for islamic persia?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ninjahedgehog posted:

Incidentally, does anyone know how to make my personal demesne replenish its troops faster? My vassal levies get refreshed really quickly when they're no raised, but my personal troops take goddamn forever, even when I have my marshal parked on my capital.

It's not automatic to get quicker replenishment when you park your marshal--it increases the size of your levy, but you only get the faster replenishment for a year when an event fires for it.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Whorelord posted:

someone want to explain how this finnish pagan and his brothers ended up fighting for islamic persia?

Family got banished while he was a kid, they fled to some steppe tribe and got kicked out again perhaps?

Anyway, sounds like a kickass folk tale in the making.

e: I just took a look at the Avars - No wonder those fuckers implode right away, the vassal setup is horrifyingly bad.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 31, 2014

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Now that I'm King of Ireland I'm having a much harder time expanding than when I was uniting Ireland. Before I could just eat up all of the independent provinces, but now when I do manage to get a claim on something, I go to war and win it but then I'm stuck in a truce for 10 years! Do I have to just eat the Truce Breaker penalties? Or should I be doing something else entirely to take over another kingdom?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Monopthalmus posted:

Now that I'm King of Ireland I'm having a much harder time expanding than when I was uniting Ireland. Before I could just eat up all of the independent provinces, but now when I do manage to get a claim on something, I go to war and win it but then I'm stuck in a truce for 10 years! Do I have to just eat the Truce Breaker penalties? Or should I be doing something else entirely to take over another kingdom?

Truce timers are between characters, not titles. So stabbing the person you just beat down will nullify it, and you can go to war again immediately after. Also try landing someone with a claim on a duchy so you can take more than just a county at a time.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Monopthalmus posted:

If you're expanding into places of the same religion you should be aiming to breed in claims.
See if the adjacent kingdom has any claimants that will join your court and marry them into your dynasty.
If you can marry them to your heir, then your grandson will get a claim when the claimant dies, and you can press that.

As evil as it is, you're better off killing your grandson, as then the claim will pass to your son, and if he happens to die it goes to you.
I took half the Karling lands with this tactic in the 867 start.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Allyn posted:

So stabbing the person you just beat down will nullify it

How, pray-tell? :v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Click on the little envelope and dagger icon on their character window.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe
Did something go wrong with the depose anti-pope CB? Because this guy has been sitting in Bavaria for 3 generations tanking MA and forcing me to deal with annual Lollard uprisings because apparently my 22 learning chaplain doesn't know how to put a village or two to the torch, and I have no way to remove him.

On the positive side though, the only landed Karling left in the world only has half of England.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Whorelord posted:

Wasn't there a movie about some viking dude who was fighting for some Muslim tribe?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
I always enjoy stumbling over something I haven't seen before:

:smuggo:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

marktheando posted:

Click on the little envelope and dagger icon on their character window.

That is rarely ever lit up for me. Especially when it's for someone outside of my court.

I was trying to point out diplo-stabbing is gone. :ssh:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
e: Nevermind. I guess all my retinues died off?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Tsyni posted:

*changes dynasty name to cockviking*

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tsyni posted:

the best runestones, by far, are for Lunatics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

the best runestones, by far, are for Lunatics.

No way, Imbicile has the best one. It just says how stupid the ruler is, then goes on for a paragraph about how great the guy carving the runestone was.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Allyn posted:

Truce timers are between characters, not titles. So stabbing the person you just beat down will nullify it, and you can go to war again immediately after. Also try landing someone with a claim on a duchy so you can take more than just a county at a time.

Edison was a dick posted:

If you're expanding into places of the same religion you should be aiming to breed in claims.
See if the adjacent kingdom has any claimants that will join your court and marry them into your dynasty.
If you can marry them to your heir, then your grandson will get a claim when the claimant dies, and you can press that.

As evil as it is, you're better off killing your grandson, as then the claim will pass to your son, and if he happens to die it goes to you.
I took half the Karling lands with this tactic in the 867 start.

Is there a reason why the Press All Claims option would disappear as I'm trying to mop of my conquest of Scotland? I usurped the title and have de jure claims on everything but it's making my declare war a county at a time yet again...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

Did something go wrong with the depose anti-pope CB? Because this guy has been sitting in Bavaria for 3 generations tanking MA and forcing me to deal with annual Lollard uprisings because apparently my 22 learning chaplain doesn't know how to put a village or two to the torch, and I have no way to remove him.

On the positive side though, the only landed Karling left in the world only has half of England.

I've heard from multiple sources that the depose anti-pope CB is horribly bugged and sometimes won't be useable for like 300 years.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Monopthalmus posted:

Is there a reason why the Press All Claims option would disappear as I'm trying to mop of my conquest of Scotland? I usurped the title and have de jure claims on everything but it's making my declare war a county at a time yet again...

Because you can only press all claims when you have strong claims. Weak claims, other peoples claims, and de jure claims don't count.

shortspecialbus posted:

I've heard from multiple sources that the depose anti-pope CB is horribly bugged and sometimes won't be useable for like 300 years.

That's good to know. For some reason, when I loaded up to get a screenshot, the anti-papacy just ended for some unexplained reason, so there's that at least. Time to finish off England, make an empire, and tank the MA again with my own pope.

And I was incorrect. There are 0 landed Karlings left.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Vassal pope just gave me an inheritance warning, how does that work?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

My Vassal pope just gave me an inheritance warning, how does that work?

It's a bug that happens sometimes when you acquire new territory - don't worry about it. Papal succession makes it impossible for the papacy to pass out of your realm because new popes give up all their previous holdings.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

Because you can only press all claims when you have strong claims. Weak claims, other peoples claims, and de jure claims don't count.

This and the answer to "Will this guy be my vassal if I press his claim?" should be in the OP

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

His heir is craven with a martial score of 4. :unsmigghh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TheBlackRoija posted:

This and the answer to "Will this guy be my vassal if I press his claim?" should be in the OP

This guy will be your vassal if

1. The title being claimed is of lower rank than yours, and
2. He is either already your vassal or of your dynasty.

Not that hard. Where I used to gently caress it up was usually on forgetting that first part and pressing for an equal title (kingdom usually).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I was running around with a ruler that had 0 martial score and craven throwing him headfirst into battle. He got injured in pretty much every single battle, but he also somehow managed to win every single duel he was involved in and recovered miraculously from dozens of wounds. I just kind of imagined every battle with him in it being a comedy of errors where he screws up so much it wraps around to being amazingly competent.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In other news, I was dragged into an antipapal war by an ally and captured the antipope. I feel like that should have more of an impact on the warscore than it does.

What's even funnier is that as soon as the war ended the pope demanded his immediate release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

This guy will be your vassal if

1. The title being claimed is of lower rank than yours, and
2. He is either already your vassal or of your dynasty.

Not that hard. Where I used to gently caress it up was usually on forgetting that first part and pressing for an equal title (kingdom usually).

The tooltip says the vassal needs to be dejure.

• Locked thread