Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

My work 5C is 16gig and that's more than enough cause it's a work phone.

My personal 5S iPhone? I'm totally getting a 128gig with my next upgrade cause I use my iPhone as my MP3 player.

/Spacechat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kersch posted:

What kind of users are the 16gb models for? I keep looking at them and I feel like by the time you count the OS footprint, basic apps, and saved songs and podcasts, if you then decided to take a 5 minute video or lose track of how many photos you've taken that you'd really quickly be boned. But then I look at the 64gb model and think "This is literally 100 dollars more and I'll never need this much".
I've had a 16GB iPhone since the 3GS and the only, ONLY reason I upgraded to 64GB for the 6 is because of slow mo video.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In general:

If you're going to use your iPhone for heavy duty camera use, as a portable video player, gaming, or as an MP3 player, you'll need more than 16GB of space. Any one of those will crowd out your available space. Any combination of them will be severely restricting.

If you don't use your iPhone much beyond light use or do a lot of cloud computing/streaming, 16GB should be plenty.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

16gb models are for older people who don't give a poo poo about games or big apps and just want an expensive phone. The market is huge.

Here's what 16gb looks like to a Gen Y or Gen X'er: |About this big|

Here's what it looks like to a boomer: |So big that I am running out of ideas of what text to put in these brackets so I will just ramble for a little while until I run out of room in the line|

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 30, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

16gb models are for older people who don't give a poo poo about games or big apps and just want an expensive phone. The market is huge.

Here's what 16gb looks like to a Gen Y or Gen X'er: |About this big|

Here's what it looks like to a boomer: |So big that I am running out of ideas of what text to put in these brackets so I will just ramble for a little while until I run out of room in the line|

I used to agree with this until my dad filled his 16gb phone. When he tried to upgrade to iOS 8 it complained about space so he picked up the phone to tech support (me). I told him to delete old texts, pictures, etc. He said he "didn't want to/shouldn't have to rabble rabble why does Apple make me do that..." Told him about itunes backups and syncing off his pictures... More "rabble rabble". I ended up remembering about iTunes upgrades which don't need the free space so that solved it for him. I think the boomers are able to fill their phones with pictures and videos enough to use up 16gb. It might take them longer, but it happens. I'd guess they also don't go for managing the space on their phones so they'll be upset when they are forced to.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Brock Landers posted:

I used to agree with this until my dad filled his 16gb phone. When he tried to upgrade to iOS 8 it complained about space so he picked up the phone to tech support (me). I told him to delete old texts, pictures, etc. He said he "didn't want to/shouldn't have to rabble rabble why does Apple make me do that..." Told him about itunes backups and syncing off his pictures... More "rabble rabble". I ended up remembering about iTunes upgrades which don't need the free space so that solved it for him. I think the boomers are able to fill their phones with pictures and videos enough to use up 16gb. It might take them longer, but it happens. I'd guess they also don't go for managing the space on their phones so they'll be upset when they are forced to.

He bought the phone in the first place though. So that's the market

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

He bought the phone in the first place though. So that's the market

Right, I wasn't disagreeing with that. Just that that market will probably get more displeased with smaller phones as time goes on.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
16gb screen protector phone case rah rah rah.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Brock Landers posted:

Right, I wasn't disagreeing with that. Just that that market will probably get more displeased with smaller phones as time goes on.

Yeah, but no one's saying that Apple won't eventually start offering 32 gigs or whatever as the baseline, they just feel like they can keep milking it for a bit longer(and are probably right).

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Selane posted:

Yeah, but no one's saying that Apple won't eventually start offering 32 gigs or whatever as the baseline, they just feel like they can keep milking it for a bit longer(and are probably right).

I picture an apple analyst graphing the intersection of Boomer CustomerSat with amount of storage over time. We'll get our 32gb baseline phones when grampa starts firing off emails to tim@apple.com

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I've owned the cheapest because I hate to spend more money and $100 bucks is a lot for some extra space.

That being said, I'll never get a sixteen gig again. It's too limiting.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
//anecdote alert//

Almost all of the people who told me they "couldn't upgrade their OS" (OTA) had a 16gb phone. While that phone may be enough for whatever combination of apps, media, etc., it'll probably cause you problems come upgrade time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kersch posted:

What kind of users are the 16gb models for? I keep looking at them and I feel like by the time you count the OS footprint, basic apps, and saved songs and podcasts, if you then decided to take a 5 minute video or lose track of how many photos you've taken that you'd really quickly be boned. But then I look at the 64gb model and think "This is literally 100 dollars more and I'll never need this much".

Me, quite frankly. Everything lives in the cloud. My music is iTunes Match or Beats Music. Photos are moved off on a regular basis to either Box or Dropbox (and my Flickr pro account). Videos I take the same. Movies I either stream with netflix or iTunes when on WiFi (or download on WiFi to watch later and then remove from the phone). All my data lives either on iCloud, Dropbox, Box, or my work servers. I'm mostly on WiFi, but when I'm not I have 30GB monthly for LTE. I move quite a lot of data on and off my phone over the course of the month. I have a lot of data, but none of it really lives on the phone.

I actually wonder why anyone would pay to have the larger storage, myself.

EDIT: As far as the upgrade, OTA worked fine for me. And when it doesn't? Backup to iCloud, reset, upgrade, restore. Pretty painless.

EDIT2: Added some words to clarify.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 30, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

flosofl posted:

Me, quite frankly. Everything lives in the cloud. My music is iTunes Match or Beats Music. Photos are moved off on a regular basis to either Box or Dropbox (and my Flickr pro account). Videos I take the same. Movies I either stream with netflix or iTunes when on WiFi (or download on WiFi to watch later and then remove from the phone). All my data lives either on iCloud, Dropbox, Box, or my work servers. I'm mostly on WiFi, but when I'm not I have 30GB monthly for LTE. I move quite a lot of data on and off my phone over the course of the month. I have a lot of data, but none of it really lives on the phone.

I actually wonder why anyone would pay to have the larger storage, myself.

EDIT: As far as the upgrade, OTA worked fine for me. And when it doesn't? Backup to iCloud, reset, upgrade, restore. Pretty painless.

EDIT2: Added some words to clarify.

I think people pay for the larger storage so they aren't scuttling data around like a bilge rat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I think people pay for the larger storage so they aren't scuttling data around like a bilge rat.

Seriously. I like the alternate idea: "never worry about any of that poo poo."

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
"Well, we want to push iCloud, but we also want people to not use iCloud."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I suppose. I really don't think about it too much and most of it happens automatically. I just saw all the "how can someone use so little space?" and saying that for me, the space on the phone isn't really an issue since most of my data lives somewhere else. I suppose if I was an iPhone gamer and had large games loaded it would matter.

To each their own I guess.

Selane
May 19, 2006

You can pay a bunch of money for 30 gigs of data and stream everything or pay a bunch of money for a bunch of storage and load everything up at home. It's pretty much the same thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

Seriously. I like the alternate idea: "never worry about any of that poo poo."

Yep. 100 buck premium amortized over, what, a 2 year ownership?

That's a quality-of-life cost of a dollar a week.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Selane posted:

You can pay a bunch of money for 30 gigs of data and stream everything or pay a bunch of money for a bunch of storage and load everything up at home. It's pretty much the same thing.

My family line was already on 15gb so that upgrade was so trill to get.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm having trouble downloading iOS 8.1 on my brothers iPhone 5c. Whenever I agree to the terms, nothing happens. It just sits at that screen. I can scroll, but none of the buttons I hit work anymore. The only thing that does is force closing the settings.

He had 4 gigs of room free, and he's on 8.02 right now. Any ideas?

E: fixed this by resetting his Icloud password that he didn't remember and signing into it on his phone.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 31, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's also Apple selling out of the good phones and people not wanting to waste 15 hours in line.

Not that that's a smart way to make a purchase decision, but neither is lining up for a drat phone anyway.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 31, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not sure if there's actually a dumber thing to argue over when it comes to iPhones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I'm not sure if there's actually a dumber thing to argue over when it comes to iPhones.

Especially since we all know space-grey is the best colour to get one in.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I miss Onyx/Slate.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally found an Apple store with the silver 64 Gb iPhone in stock. Started the setup flow, selected my backup, and... I can't use it until I upgrade my phone to iOS 8.1. It's not a big deal to skip the setup process, install 8.1, and then reset and start over again, but it's still a disappointing hiccup in the process. At least I know I have plenty of space to install the update. :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm trying to figure something out and I'm not quite sure if I have it right. I have my old off contract Verizon 5s that I'd like to give my girlfriend who is on Sprint. Everything I have read tells me that my Verizon 5s will work on the Sprint network but do I need to unlock it or can I just take the phone to a Sprint store and they can activate it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I'm trying to figure something out and I'm not quite sure if I have it right. I have my old off contract Verizon 5s that I'd like to give my girlfriend who is on Sprint. Everything I have read tells me that my Verizon 5s will work on the Sprint network but do I need to unlock it or can I just take the phone to a Sprint store and they can activate it?

I know for a fact the iPhone 5 was unlocked on Verizon and I was able to use it on ATT. I imagine their 5S is the same.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

MarcusSA posted:

Sprint won't activate a Verizon phone or any phone not branded with Sprint. Sorry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flosofl posted:

I know for a fact the iPhone 5 was unlocked on Verizon and I was able to use it on ATT. I imagine their 5S is the same.

Awesome! I was thinking as much but I wanted to make sure.

Biodome posted:

Sprint won't activate a Verizon phone or any phone not branded with Sprint. Sorry.

Wait what the gently caress? How can they do that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A vestige of CDMA, I assume.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

MarcusSA posted:

Awesome! I was thinking as much but I wanted to make sure.

Wait what the gently caress? How can they do that?

What SWSP said. They will not do it if it's not a sprint iPhone. The only phone I think they'll activate no matter what is the nexus 6.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know if it's a limitation of CDMA or if Sprint simply will not do it out of policy? As in, hypothetically, if someone had a connect that was semi-high up, could they get a Verizon iPhone working on Sprint?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The 5S sold for AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile doesn't support all the LTE bands Sprint is using anyway, so you'd have a degraded experience versus using a model actually sold for Sprint.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone know if it's a limitation of CDMA or if Sprint simply will not do it out of policy? As in, hypothetically, if someone had a connect that was semi-high up, could they get a Verizon iPhone working on Sprint?

As far as I know there's no technical reason they can't activate it. It's just policy. Their systems won't recognize the MEID of the device if it's not in their white list. It errors out if you put in a Verizon phone MEID.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
There are not seriously this many radio shacks in CA?

Also, I can't believe radio shack was able to procure so many iphones, or maybe they are just the only ones that have them because literally no one would think to shop there in the first place.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Is there a way to get the notification/today view panel to show up on the lock screen by default, instead of requiring a swipe down? It's annoying because I'm used to being jailbroken and having that stuff right there with LockInfo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bleh Maestro posted:

There are not seriously this many radio shacks in CA?

Also, I can't believe radio shack was able to procure so many iphones, or maybe they are just the only ones that have them because literally no one would think to shop there in the first place.

I like how there's one on the PCH out by Malibu on the coast. I'm gonna call shenanigans.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bummey posted:

Is there a way to get the notification/today view panel to show up on the lock screen by default, instead of requiring a swipe down? It's annoying because I'm used to being jailbroken and having that stuff right there with LockInfo.
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I like how there's one on the PCH out by Malibu on the coast. I'm gonna call shenanigans.

Strip malls are literally everywhere.