Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MASTER
MASTER
MASTER OF PUPPETS DR FAUTES IS INSANNNNNNEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Gibson makes some really nice guitars but pretty much all of what White Dog Eggs said is right. The 2015 price hike and changes are especially awful, and pretty funny when you consider how conservative a lot of the Gibson fanbase is. I have an SGJ I just got and I love it to pieces, and Gibson basically just totally dumped that and the LPJ line. The quality on my piece was good, but I am not sure if that was factory or if the previous owner just had everything fixed himself.

Also anyone have any clue what "phoenix wood" is. If I am having my $40 Faustus JEM custom made, I want to make sure that it is of the finest materials.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I could see an MGMT type band rocking a neon Ibanez ironically.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Snowy posted:

Time to prettennnnnnnnddddddddddddddddd

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

Gibson makes some really nice guitars but pretty much all of what White Dog Eggs said is right. The 2015 price hike and changes are especially awful, and pretty funny when you consider how conservative a lot of the Gibson fanbase is. I have an SGJ I just got and I love it to pieces, and Gibson basically just totally dumped that and the LPJ line. The quality on my piece was good, but I am not sure if that was factory or if the previous owner just had everything fixed himself.

Those robot tuners are a bad, baaaaad idea. The internal gearing is nylon so they'll eventually wear out, last I heard they try to re-tune themselves everytime you do a big string bend too. They are putting zero frets on all their stuff now as well. There isn't really anything wrong with zero frets, but it's a blatant cost-saving measure (the strings rest on top the zero fret so you don't need to carefully file the nut slots, the nuts just act as a guide).

I actually like the idea of the auto-tuners, but they really need to sort out the problems with them.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Oh yea, easy. If I thought he was going to sell them on then I wouldn't do any work on them, I'm not a fan a Gibson at all but facilitating ripping people off is skeevy. Man's got to have a code :omarcomin:.

Here's what I find interesting about the counterfeit thing. The swirly JEM I posted earlier is not a legit JEM. Its a replica body built and swirled by a guy in Birmingham. The neck was built by a chap in Australia. Hardware is authentic parts I bought off licensed retailers and the whole thing was put together by a tech who lives a few minutes drive away. I posted it on jemsite and described the whole process of getting the thing made. Nobody bats an eyelid with regards to, "But its not real!" and I get a bunch of oooooos and aaaahhhhhsss over the thing.

My 'JEM' is a counterfiet. Sure, the hardware is authentic but not a penny went to Ibanez. I got the whole thing done for just under £500 and yet nobody has a problem because I paid money to people who were known in that particular community. Buy a counterfeit one with the intention of playing it and not selling it on posing as the real thing and everyone loses their god drat minds. The double neck I'm looking at buying (still not sure on which one, its not so much the colour now because I might have a go at swirling the thing myself, not sure if I want the vine inlay or not) isn't even manufactured by Ibanez anyway, at least not made available to the US and EU markets, yet I know if I buy the thing and it shows up in a future family photo of guitars on jemsite I'll get no end of poo poo if I reveal I bought it from a hooky Chinese seller. That said, I think I'll still buy it.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I actually left this stupid rear end in a top hat thread.

Don't do that. You can be a colossal twat at times but some parts of your posts are valid and do contribute to the thread in a positive way. If you just get over the fact that not everyone likes Ibanez and isn't a fan of the widdly widdly shred scene then maybe you'd find the thread more enjoyable.

bunky posted:

whats with all the gibson hate?

Mandatory robot tuner things on all models, hilarious quality control issues, and a 29% price hike across the board.

unlawfulsoup posted:

If you got rid of the stupid handle and used your suggestion I would want one, badly.

I have a problem. :(

edit: Maybe the Chinese can make me one and I can put Faustus on the headstock.

You could carve a piece of wood and fill the hole if it bugs you. The only use I've found for it is a) an easy way to grip the guitar just before playing and putting the strap over my should/neck and b) temporary cigarette rest place.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Snowy posted:

does MGMT do anything unironically

also im bummed out about gibson now. thanks guys. gonna go throw my sg in the woods now brb

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

bunky posted:

does MGMT do anything unironically

also im bummed out about gibson now. thanks guys. gonna go throw my sg in the woods now brb

some depressed scandinavian teenager will find it and make the next black metal hit. good work

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Those robot tuners are a bad, baaaaad idea. The internal gearing is nylon so they'll eventually wear out, last I heard they try to re-tune themselves everytime you do a big string bend too. They are putting zero frets on all their stuff now as well. There isn't really anything wrong with zero frets, but it's a blatant cost-saving measure (the strings rest on top the zero fret so you don't need to carefully file the nut slots, the nuts just act as a guide).

I actually like the idea of the auto-tuners, but they really need to sort out the problems with them.

I am not sure what they huge hard-on Gibson has for it anyway, it is not like Lawyers and Doctors can't tune a guitar. The fact that in 2015 they just said gently caress it and put it on EVERY guitar is really just incredible. I mean it is pretty ballsy to raise your prices across the board while justifying all of your cost saving measures as 'added value'. Removing the nibs alone made how many bluesdad connoisseurs melt down.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

You could carve a piece of wood and fill the hole if it bugs you. The only use I've found for it is a) an easy way to grip the guitar just before playing and putting the strap over my should/neck and b) temporary cigarette rest place.

If I was going to spend 3k on a guitar (haha) it would not be on any Ibanez, full stop. That said, yeah if I have the Chinese build my Faustus 1, I will have them have the handle have a piece of wood on a hinge so it can go up and down.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

muike posted:

some depressed scandinavian teenager will find it and make the next black metal hit. good work

at least ill stop making mall metal with dual leads and pinch harmonics. we'll all be okay in the end

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Why not go all out and ask them to install a fleshlight there for optimum dick hole action?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Why not go all out and ask them to install a fleshlight there for optimum dick hole action?

Oh dear. At that point we could just say gently caress it.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Here's what I find interesting about the counterfeit thing. The swirly JEM I posted earlier is not a legit JEM. Its a replica body built and swirled by a guy in Birmingham. The neck was built by a chap in Australia. Hardware is authentic parts I bought off licensed retailers and the whole thing was put together by a tech who lives a few minutes drive away. I posted it on jemsite and described the whole process of getting the thing made. Nobody bats an eyelid with regards to, "But its not real!" and I get a bunch of oooooos and aaaahhhhhsss over the thing.

My 'JEM' is a counterfiet. Sure, the hardware is authentic but not a penny went to Ibanez. I got the whole thing done for just under £500 and yet nobody has a problem because I paid money to people who were known in that particular community. Buy a counterfeit one with the intention of playing it and not selling it on posing as the real thing and everyone loses their god drat minds. The double neck I'm looking at buying (still not sure on which one, its not so much the colour now because I might have a go at swirling the thing myself, not sure if I want the vine inlay or not) isn't even manufactured by Ibanez anyway, at least not made available to the US and EU markets, yet I know if I buy the thing and it shows up in a future family photo of guitars on jemsite I'll get no end of poo poo if I reveal I bought it from a hooky Chinese seller. That said, I think I'll still buy it.

I wonder how much of that part-snobbery is due to the "China = Bad!!!" mindset that seems pretty prevalent in guitar (and probably other) communities. Chinese factories are fully capable of churning out some awesome stuff, just look at some of squier's newest stuff, you can get a very decent guitar for £200 that is playable right out the box.

muike posted:

This feels obligatory;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2rJrB2pHtY

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

White Dog Eggs posted:

I wonder how much of that part-snobbery is due to the "China = Bad!!!" mindset that seems pretty prevalent in guitar (and probably other) communities. Chinese factories are fully capable of churning out some awesome stuff, just look at some of squier's newest stuff, you can get a very decent guitar for £200 that is playable right out the box.

Totally.

China can make excellent guitars, I mean Epiphone and tons of Squiers come from there, and a lot of those seriously own. The quality control and standards of the company are going to contribute to a lot more today than the geography of where your guitar is built. This is not the 50s anymore, guitars are pretty easy to fabricate.

Personally I am in a weird way just curious to see what a $40 JEM would look like.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

unlawfulsoup posted:

Also anyone have any clue what "phoenix wood" is. If I am having my $40 Faustus JEM custom made, I want to make sure that it is of the finest materials.

Gibsons biggest issue right now is that Agile is making the same guitars but half the price and the same if not better quality. The Agile's I've seen have better necks than a lot of Gibsons but they counterbalance the neck dive by being even heavier. My friend owns that union jack LP and it's like a loving rock.

Update on buttrock supertele: Since it's a cheap tele knockoff it just uses a strat neck which means I'm probably going to replace it with a slightly modified neck from an RG, BC Rich Bronze series, Jackson or similar. If I randomly find like 400 dollars laying around I might get a custom neck made but that seems unlikely. I have to figure out pickup configurations now. I'm thinking of using the Tele layout but going with a mini bucker instead of the lipstick and a full bucker instead of the normal tele pickup. The temptation to go Buck/Strat/Buck or just Buck/Buck/Buck is tempting however. I also found a friend who will cut me a pick guard so that's going to be fun. I'm probably going to end up donating this guitar to my old school like I did the last awful project guitar I made because they need instruments and I wan't to see the reaction of my super awesome ex-Cali skater kid math teacher when he sees it. I'll probably also use the old tele pickups to make a canjo or something because taste is for suckers.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

Totally.

China can make excellent guitars, I mean Epiphone and tons of Squiers come from there, and a lot of those seriously own. The quality control and standards of the company are going to contribute to a lot more today than the geography of where your guitar is built. This is not the 50s anymore, guitars are pretty easy to fabricate.

Personally I am in a weird way just curious to see what a $40 JEM would look like.

I'm curious as hell too! The other goon had his order cancelled, so I'm half wondering if it was a gently caress-up by the seller.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Gibsons biggest issue right now is that Agile is making the same guitars but half the price and the same if not better quality. The Agile's I've seen have better necks than a lot of Gibsons but they counterbalance the neck dive by being even heavier. My friend owns that union jack LP and it's like a loving rock.

Update on buttrock supertele: Since it's a cheap tele knockoff it just uses a strat neck which means I'm probably going to replace it with a slightly modified neck from an RG, BC Rich Bronze series, Jackson or similar. If I randomly find like 400 dollars laying around I might get a custom neck made but that seems unlikely. I have to figure out pickup configurations now. I'm thinking of using the Tele layout but going with a mini bucker instead of the lipstick and a full bucker instead of the normal tele pickup. The temptation to go Buck/Strat/Buck or just Buck/Buck/Buck is tempting however. I also found a friend who will cut me a pick guard so that's going to be fun. I'm probably going to end up donating this guitar to my old school like I did the last awful project guitar I made because they need instruments and I wan't to see the reaction of my super awesome ex-Cali skater kid math teacher when he sees it. I'll probably also use the old tele pickups to make a canjo or something because taste is for suckers.

Everyone makes a better Gibson than Gibson. Even Epi's are out-doing them now. It's kind of sad really.

For that Tele, put those cheap singe-coil blade humbuckers in there, they are great for angry, angry tone and NOTHING else. The metal kids love 'em.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

As bad as Gibson has become, I loving love my Les Paul 60's Tribute that I got on the black friday blowout last year. It had some hilariously sharp fret ends, but after some work on it, it is a nice rear end guitar and it was like 600 bucks. Basically, they aren't worth what they sell for brand new, but if you get one cheap they own.

I am looking to scoop up a SG this year around black friday. Maybe a white SGJ if they are stupid cheap(like ~300). Or if the more expensive SG's go on a crazy clearance price I might not be able to resist.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Please don't talk about Black Friday. I work retail in the UK and now its a thing here because loving APPLE :argh:

Sent from my iPhone

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

i really wanted this sg back around the time i got my faded

looking back at it now i really want it again :emo:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HollisBrown posted:

Aww poo poo, he's pulling out the puppet master routine.

By the way you've tried that before, no one bought it then either.
I don't have to resort that kind of bullshit, Hollisbrown. I'm not that kind of person.

You honestly don't know what started this thread or how I became involved. You're either very ignorant or very stupid.

This is for the thread:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 31, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

bunky posted:

i really wanted this sg back around the time i got my faded

looking back at it now i really want it again :emo:

I'm not feeling the brass knuckle inlay. But other than that it looks cool.

I want one of these:

SG Baritone

I'd probably put a big red killswitch on it, play it in standard tuning and call it a Buckethead SG.

edit: Buckethead signature Les Paul for reference:

I still regret not buying one of those.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

For that Tele, put those cheap singe-coil blade humbuckers in there, they are great for angry, angry tone and NOTHING else. The metal kids love 'em.
http://www.dx.com/p/zea-dz85-humbucking-pickup-humbucker-set-for-electric-guitar-black-yellow-1-pair-269919#.VFL37_nF8kM

These are what I have laying about. I think I also have some kind of knockoff EMG somewhere.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dirt posted:

I'm not feeling the brass knuckle inlay. But other than that it looks cool.

I want one of these:

SG Baritone

I'd probably put a big red killswitch on it, play it in standard tuning and call it a Buckethead SG.

edit: Buckethead signature Les Paul for reference:

I still regret not buying one of those.

ooh, i forgot about the buckethead signature. that white on white is great

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Faustus posted:

I don't have to resort that kind of bullshit, Hollisbrown. I'm not that kind of person.

You honestly don't know what started this thread or how I became involved. You're either very ignorant or very stupid.

This is for the thread:

I'm new to the whole guitar scene, and you seem like a pretty knowledgeable person...would you be opposed to letting me ask you a few questions about what guitar I should get? I like that one in the picture, it looks like a medieval instrument. Would be kinda cool to bust that out and impress the ladies... :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

White Dog Eggs posted:

It's kind of sad

Like that actually bums me out. Stop picking fights/defending your honour on an internet forum and dry out for fucks sake. I feel bad for you and all I want to do is laugh at stupid guitars.

You still didn't MsPaint me your dream guitar either, so here's mine;

As you can see, it's gold hardware (including frets) on a neon pink body with blade p90 pickups. Bridge and nut are brass because that amuses me greatly. I >WILL< build a guitar this vile one day (every time I build one for myself someone else ends up buying it, so if I make one that is loving disgusting I'll never be able to sell it).

my dream guitar would probably be something similar to a bo diddley box guitar but made to look like an 18th century end table, complete with intricate wood burning and/or carving of some kind of scene

how much would you charge for this kind of madness

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dr. Faustus posted:

Five pictures on the first page. FIVE.
I actually left this stupid rear end in a top hat thread.
But now it's my glory because I can say anything (controversial or not) and still enjoy efforts like this one:

Nothing is wrong with me. Instead, this thread was predicated on an attack on me, personally.

Ay first I was angry about it but now... I mean, just look at it.

SA acts like they can't be trolled, but... you have to admit it's funny.

even worse, they didn't even snip off the ends of the strings at the tuners

being blind equals tone

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Speaking of SGs, FB reminded me that today is the two year anniversary of me nabbing this sweet thing.

And took this pic two years ago as well

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

ThePutty posted:

even worse, they didn't even snip off the ends of the strings at the tuners

being blind equals tone

wtf. that dude's got snips right there. oh well, better roll up the ends like a scrub

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

to be fair it is a floyd rose so if you gently caress it up the strings will just shoot out of the bridge and make your life miserable

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Speaking of SGs, FB reminded me that today is the two year anniversary of me nabbing this sweet thing.

blue/white is a pretty sweet look for a sg, and im not even a big sg fan.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Yeah, there are a couple of types of foil tape, with conductive and non conductive adhesive. I'm trying to get some of the former off ebay but the first disappeared in the post and the replacement is taking forever to get here too (post from asia has gone from almost as fast as domestic to pushing the limits of the ability to make a paypal claim in the past few months).

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've heard that too "it'll warp the neck!". As far as I can tell, it's bollocks.
I've always assumed this was based on guitars that lacked truss rods.

Yo Faustus, even if this thread started out as a hate thread about you, after 250 pages and with poo poo like the goontar and everything else White Dog Eggs has posted, we've moved past that. The reason you get glak for your JEMs at this point while other people don't (for liking/owning JEMs or other 'ugly' guitars) isn't because we're obsessed with making fun of you, it's because you keep doing this dumb negative attention thing.
Why don't you post some more pics of guitars you think are ugly – something less gimmicky than the reverse LP? I'm legitimately curious to see what sort of guitars you're not keen on.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

:awesome:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

would

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

If we wanna talk SG-like things, and ugly guitars, this is one of my favourite looking guitars:

It is also the source of my hatred for gibson seeing as in winter the high strings rub against the first couple of frets. Tapping them down has worked in the past but the nut is also pretty low on that side, so I might replace it (or just stick a thin piece of wood underneath it because I don't have slot files), but it has finish over it so I'm worried about damaging it. Got it for a cool $700, it sat in the store for a year or two and the top horn got chipped just in time for a new year clearance sale. Lined up that morning and grabbed it.
It sounds good and plays nicely when working (not as good as my greco LP, but good), but yeah.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sleepflower posted:

If we wanna talk SG-like things, and ugly guitars, this is one of my favourite looking guitars:

That pickguard is atrocious.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

W424 posted:

That pickguard is atrocious.

I've always loved the guitar being so gaudy, so it doesn't bother me in the least. The eye was the first guitar I saw and thought "I have to get that" so I was pretty pumped when the price dropped so low. Honestly I still wouldn't sell it and don't really regret the purchase despite the problems it has.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sleepflower posted:

Why don't you post some more pics of guitars you think are ugly – something less gimmicky than the reverse LP? I'm legitimately curious to see what sort of guitars you're not keen on.

I just did.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

I just did.

I only see the reverse LP, the thing I excluded in my question.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sleepflower posted:

I don't hate guitars. I'm not made that way. Um, I don't care much for Rickenbackers (I mean they sound awesome, but I'm not keen on how they look. Mosrite, same.

HollisBrown posted:

Aww poo poo, he's pulling out the puppet master routine.

By the way you've tried that before, no one bought it then either.
Wow, you're full-on retarded. I have addressed this canard yet you insist on repeating it.

Pick another meme, run with it, and you'll still be stupid.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Faustus posted:

Wow, you're full-on retarded. I have addressed this canard yet you insist on repeating it.

Pick another meme, run with it, and you'll still be stupid.

Hey man, don't bother with these jerks, they're just yanking your chain.

I made a post earlier, I would like the benefit of your guitar knowledge!

I'm trying to learn guitar, you are the only person I've found in this forum who knows what they're doing.

I would like to know what guitar to start out with, if possible a really cool one like that medieval one you posted earlier.

• Locked thread