Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Go on, I'll take one then. TBH using cheddar just makes it cheesy chips and gravy but I would value the sauce, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why not make cheese curds by yourself? I'm sure you can find buttermilk in China.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Haha, remember my telling you that I was replaced by a total shitbag at my university? Well, the students mutinied and went en masse to the dean to complain. He was removed from the classroom. :china:

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

Spiderjelly posted:

Haha, remember my telling you that I was replaced by a total shitbag at my university? Well, the students mutinied and went en masse to the dean to complain. He was removed from the classroom. :china:

Ahahaha, this happened to the teacher I replaced.

Be ready for massive QQ messages from your former boss, begging for you to return. If you're interested, this is a good time to get your salary doubled.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I have obtained things for many people. I am prepared for the voyage. Couldn't find any Thrills gum though (the soap flavored one). Too bad. PM Me your numbers, HK goooooooooons.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

FearCotton posted:

Ahahaha, this happened to the teacher I replaced.

Be ready for massive QQ messages from your former boss, begging for you to return. If you're interested, this is a good time to get your salary doubled.

Not for all the tea in China :laffo:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Welp, I got hit with a variation of the tea house scam (wine instead of tea) the day before I left China. They claimed to be brother and sister in their 30s, yada, yada. I only realized it was a scam once they presented me the bill which was over $800 once converted to dollars. The siblings were the ones ordering the drinks, yet I was the one expected to pay. I used a credit card and pretended nothing was wrong just to avoid whatever it is they do to people that don't pay. But I immediately declared it as fraud once I was safely in back the states. I don't know how the investigation will go.

Do never go with strangers that meet you at the forbidden city and pretend to be friendly.

I guess I let my guard down because the previous day I met a legitimately nice Chinese family (mom, dad, daughter, grandma) at the Great Wall who treated me to dinner and never asked me for anything in return.

Ugh, on the one hand, if I never trusted anybody, I would have missed on meeting the nice family. But by trusting the wrong people I'm possibly out $800+ depending on the credit card company. :shrug:

nelson fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 31, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Did you make a fake signature. Should have signed an x.

Then report the card fraud or stolen. Stolen probably better

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

caberham posted:

Did you make a fake signature. Should have signed an x.

Unfortunately I wasn't clever enough at the time and used my real signature. :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

Unfortunately I wasn't clever enough at the time and used my real signature. :(

YOU DESERVED TO GET SCAMMED.

Ouch eek hope things work out.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

caberham posted:

YOU DESERVED TO GET SCAMMED.

Ouch eek hope things work out.

Thanks, me too. I'm guessing it could have ended up a lot worse. Btw, what DO they do to people who refuse to pay?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I had a friend get scammed in a similar manner -in Shanghai some girls invited him to a bar. When the bill came he jumped up and ran away.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nelson posted:

Welp, I got hit with a variation of the tea house scam (wine instead of tea) the day before I left China. They claimed to be brother and sister in their 30s, yada, yada. I only realized it was a scam once they presented me the bill which was over $800 once converted to dollars. The siblings were the ones ordering the drinks, yet I was the one expected to pay. I used a credit card and pretended nothing was wrong just to avoid whatever it is they do to people that don't pay. But I immediately declared it as fraud once I was safely in back the states. I don't know how the investigation will go.

Do never go with strangers that meet you at the forbidden city and pretend to be friendly.

I guess I let my guard down because the previous day I met a legitimately nice Chinese family (mom, dad, daughter, grandma) at the Great Wall who treated me to dinner and never asked me for anything in return.

Ugh, on the one hand, if I never trusted anybody, I would have missed on meeting the nice family. But by trusting the wrong people I'm possibly out $800+ depending on the credit card company. :shrug:

I did this once except I used it as an opportunity to practice Chinese on my first trip to China as the person walked with me around the Forbidden City area. Then I bailed as soon as she wanted to stop for some tea because I knew what was going on.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tom Smykowski posted:

I had a friend get scammed in a similar manner -in Shanghai some girls invited him to a bar. When the bill came he jumped up and ran away.

Good for him. Shouldn't the merchant accounts for these companies be revoked for this kind of fraud? Why would the credit card companies want to associate with them?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nelson posted:

Good for him. Shouldn't the merchant accounts for these companies be revoked for this kind of fraud? Why would the credit card companies want to associate with them?

Why would they want to associate with you, a person who spent $800+ on wine and then tried to pass it off as fraud?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nelson posted:

I've had people try that on me, but I'd heard of it, so NOPE. Sometimes I feel like getting in a fight, and I think that might be a good way to do it and not feel bad about kicking someone's rear end.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nelson posted:

I feel like if I ever went to a Goon meet in Hong Kong this is what would happen to me, except we'd be at Ruby Tuesday's :I jk lol

In all seriousness forums user nelson, sorry to hear about your bad luck and hope you can get this fixed.

:siren: Society and people are absolutely poo poo :siren: in case anyone forgot.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Sometimes I think about what a weirdly charmed life I've had in China when I read this thread. In 5 years I've never come across 90% of the poo poo people post in this thread.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

Sometimes I think about what a weirdly charmed life I've had in China when I read this thread. In 5 years I've never come across 90% of the poo poo people post in this thread.

Yes you have they're just complainers.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in Beijing I ran into an obvious wine scam and an obvious art house scam and I played along a few minutes and then made up some bullshit excuse and left.

My old roommate actually used to go out of his way in Beijing and hang around the people and shout at everyone that the people were crooks and they always ended up quarreling lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WHO ARE YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Yes you have they're just complainers.

I have never see anyone be killed (GF says he has seen 5+)
I have never been deported or had visa issues
I have never been scammed

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had four scam attempts my first day in Beijing on my first visit. I actually went along with the art show scam because the dude was really interesting and telling me about his life of living in Beijing since like 1940 and I needed souvenirs anyway. After I haggled the paintings were like $8 apiece so whatever, it was cheaper than legitimate art stores in Korea so not much of a scam.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen three dead bodies that I can think of in the past five years in China, I don't think I've seen anyone actually be killed but I've seen some bad accidents that probably ended poorly for people involved.

I've never been deported or had visa issues but know people that have.

I have gone along with scams but then backed out before I finished getting scammed.

You should come to Beijing for a year you will have all these experiences in like a weekend. Hell my uncle was in Beijing for only 4 days for work last year and he saw a dude he thought was dead on the ground and got scammed near Tiananmen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I was a victim of the tea house scam on my first hour in Beijing, but it was like 50 euro so meh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So far in Chengdu the only person who's tried to scam me was the fruit seller dude who wanted five yuan for one apple.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Has he started throwing u's in color yet? That's when you know it's hopeless.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

I had four scam attempts my first day in Beijing on my first visit. I actually went along with the art show scam because the dude was really interesting and telling me about his life of living in Beijing since like 1940 and I needed souvenirs anyway. After I haggled the paintings were like $8 apiece so whatever, it was cheaper than legitimate art stores in Korea so not much of a scam.

Yeah I bought one of these art scam things as a cheap souvenir too.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Some dickhole at the Beijing airport tried to "help" me get on the Subway and then demanded that I pay for his services, I just bought my ticket real fast and bailed and got on the train before he could.

Just loving leave. What are these people going to do? Neighbors, nearby shop owners, and the local beat-cops probably know their rep for scamming. Nothing'll happen unless they're greasing the beat-cops.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

goldboilermark posted:

Hell my uncle was in Beijing for only 4 days for work last year and he saw a dude he thought was dead on the ground and got scammed near Tiananmen.

How does that scam work?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Woodsy Owl posted:

Nothing'll happen unless they're greasing the beat-cops.

Not sure how common this actually is (I've heard people -- Westerners and Chinese alike -- say this kind of corruption is rampant, but I really dunno), but I suspect the cops would at the least be like, "Look, the easiest thing to do is just pay it, so why don't you do that?"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blinkyzero posted:

Not sure how common this actually is (I've heard people -- Westerners and Chinese alike -- say this kind of corruption is rampant, but I really dunno), but I suspect the cops would at the least be like, "Look, the easiest thing to do is just pay it, so why don't you do that?"

I think stuff like this is overstated because people make assumptions when things don't go their way. Kind of like how China Law Blog guy basically says a lot of the stories of Americans being treated unfairly when doing business in China is because American businessmen tend to assume things in China work the same way they work back home, and when that assumption fails, they complain that things are unfair. My favorite was the story of the company that went through a difficult legal process with the EPA to legally import a dangerous chemical into the US, and then got in trouble when they just started importing the same chemical into China because hey, the EPA lets us import it!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Woodsy Owl posted:

Just loving leave. What are these people going to do? Neighbors, nearby shop owners, and the local beat-cops probably know their rep for scamming. Nothing'll happen unless they're greasing the beat-cops.

It was fear that prevented me from doing that. I really didn't know that nothing would happen. I figured it would be hard to explain to the cops when I don't know Chinese. I envisioned myself being put in Chinese jail for failure to pay (or alternatively getting mugged and having to postpone my flight while I got a new passport and file a police report).

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

I think stuff like this is overstated because people make assumptions when things don't go their way. Kind of like how China Law Blog guy basically says a lot of the stories of Americans being treated unfairly when doing business in China is because American businessmen tend to assume things in China work the same way they work back home, and when that assumption fails, they complain that things are unfair. My favorite was the story of the company that went through a difficult legal process with the EPA to legally import a dangerous chemical into the US, and then got in trouble when they just started importing the same chemical into China because hey, the EPA lets us import it!

That would be a pretty huge oversight on the part of the company's legal department (or their hired counsel, be it American or a Chinese domestic firm). I'll look that up and read it through.

edit: just on the main page right now there's this, which is interesting:

quote:

2. If you hire someone to create a work for you, that person owns the copyright in the completed work unless you have a contract that states otherwise. I cannot tell you how many times we have been contacted by American software companies that have lost the copyrights in their software to someone (usually a group of someones) they paid to create the software in China. If you pay your joint venture entity to create software for you and you do not have a contract (preferably in Chinese) with the joint venture entity making clear that you and not the joint venture entity own the copyrights in that software, the joint venture entity will own the copyrights, not you. It also always makes sense to be clear — in writing — with your employees as to who owns the copyrightable works the employees create as between you and them.

That's different from US copyright law in some subtle but very important details.

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 31, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It smacks of paying a carpenter to make a chair then at the end of the day they take it home with them because hey, they made it.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

simplefish posted:

It smacks of paying a carpenter to make a chair then at the end of the day they take it home with them because hey, they made it.

Well, strictly speaking you'd get the chair, but the carpenter would get the right to make more chairs.

And even then only if you were too stupid to tell the carpenter in the first place that you've got dibs on future chair-building.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

There's a bigger analogy behind it that takes care of that but I can't be arsed

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

It was fear that prevented me from doing that. I really didn't know that nothing would happen. I figured it would be hard to explain to the cops when I don't know Chinese. I envisioned myself being put in Chinese jail for failure to pay (or alternatively getting mugged and having to postpone my flight while I got a new passport and file a police report).

Worst part is that we never know and it's all in your head. You yourself is always your biggest enemy

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trying to add money to my Alipay account and I've run into this mystery password.

I set up a second password for high-security stuff when I created the account, but that field will only accept 6 characters, numbers only. Almost like... a bank pin. Alipay is seriously not asking me for my name, passport number, card number and PIN is it? Because seriously, gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Worst part is that we never know and it's all in your head. You yourself is always your biggest enemy

Tell that to Hitler.