Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

I am sorry indeed.

Crosspost from PYF - was just e-mailed some even BETTER photos. They just don't stop.

I cannot get enough of this cosplay. Goddamn, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Some early pictures, but given the lack of a decent Halloween thread, this'll have to do for now. Tomorrow should be productive.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

What's the best way to make open cell foam take bondo or putty without melting? I need to fabricate a lightweight chest plate that I can paint.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Skipopatomus posted:

This is so great! I've been wanting to do a Goldust costume for a while, maybe I'll actually go through with it this year.

http://www.zentai-zentai.com/golddust-costume-shiny-metallic-wrestling-outfit-products-2324.html

His gear's pretty easy to come by pre-made, and there's a video he posted a while back of how he does his makeup. The black version is easier to fake for a costume because you don't have to come up with gold boots. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJQ3yZ8QdhE

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
Finished! Stairs are an adventure, anything that falls to the ground is lost to me, and the thigh pieces keep falling off the magnets, but overall I consider it a success.

The best reaction was one random salaryman at a Halloween party that didn't realize what I was for ten minutes, then when it clicked he literally fell down. Onto a chair, but he still fell down. I blew that guy's mind. It was incredibly satisfying.

Today the plan is to go to the Robot Restaurant and see about getting a photo with the real thing.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Mecha Neko posted:

Finished! Stairs are an adventure, anything that falls to the ground is lost to me, and the thigh pieces keep falling off the magnets, but overall I consider it a success.

The best reaction was one random salaryman at a Halloween party that didn't realize what I was for ten minutes, then when it clicked he literally fell down. Onto a chair, but he still fell down. I blew that guy's mind. It was incredibly satisfying.

Today the plan is to go to the Robot Restaurant and see about getting a photo with the real thing.

That is absolutely sick! I bet you got a kick out of riding the subway like that though.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

McKilligan posted:

That is absolutely sick! I bet you got a kick out of riding the subway like that though.

Eh, it wasn't as interesting as you might think. On the train line that runs through our neighborhood nobody has the Halloween spirit, so we were mostly ignored because we were weird. Coming back from downtown the trains got crowded and I was worried about pieces being broken. In between, we had a handful of people smile and ask to take pictures, but it all things considered it was pretty low key. Halloween in Tokyo is like having a convention - the people that know about it are dressed up and enjoying it, everyone that isn't participating really has no idea what's going on and don't really care.

The other half of "we being weird" is Spaceguns. He's dressed as another Japan-specific costume that people don't get until they see the reference material. In this case, old woodblock prints of namazu, the catfish that cause earthquakes.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Mecha Neko posted:

Eh, it wasn't as interesting as you might think. On the train line that runs through our neighborhood nobody has the Halloween spirit, so we were mostly ignored because we were weird. Coming back from downtown the trains got crowded and I was worried about pieces being broken. In between, we had a handful of people smile and ask to take pictures, but it all things considered it was pretty low key. Halloween in Tokyo is like having a convention - the people that know about it are dressed up and enjoying it, everyone that isn't participating really has no idea what's going on and don't really care.

Yeah, I'm in Seoul and it's much the same. It did make taking the subway in full grim reaper getup pretty interesting last year. gently caress robes though, those things were a massive pain in the rear end.

This year I'm doing pretty much the same thing, but instead of Grim Reaper, it'll be Punk Lich. I spent most of the weekend finding all the crap too make a Phylactery - I'll have to prime and spraypaint it tomorrow, and I'm waiting on some LED junk to come in the mail so on halloween it'll look nice and metallic and glow properly when it's done. The trickiest part was figuring out a way to open and close it again - in the end I settled on magnets. the bottom piece is held in place by small 4 neodymium magnets embedded in the sculpey. Plenty strong enough to hold it in place, but easy to pop on and off. We'll see how it fares through halloween night.

The Jacket still needs a lot of work - I sure as gently caress wasn't going to spend real cash-money on a proper leather jacket, so I sacrificed an oldie from my closet for the cause. I've still got a bunch of metal spikes to apply, more black goop to smear everywhere, and patches to sew all over. At any rate, in the end it should look deathpunk as all gently caress. If anyone can think of any fake death-metal sounding band names or something I'll work 'em onto the jacket. I'm certainly going to include a 'Rockers never die' at the very least.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

McKilligan posted:

If anyone can think of any fake death-metal sounding band names

Go hogwild. http://b10m.swal.org/cgi-bin/bandname.cgi

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Liquid Communism posted:

http://www.zentai-zentai.com/golddust-costume-shiny-metallic-wrestling-outfit-products-2324.html

His gear's pretty easy to come by pre-made, and there's a video he posted a while back of how he does his makeup. The black version is easier to fake for a costume because you don't have to come up with gold boots. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJQ3yZ8QdhE

this is really great, thanks! I like that he's gotten more intricate with his facepaint over the years and I didn't know he did it all himself.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

considering I am a procrastinating bastard, I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far with rebellion.

For my first time building a large prop and using wood, I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Now time for the detail work and getting the ridge on the blade. Glad I have until next may to finish this project.

Also not looking forward to dieting in order to get the six pack needed for the costume.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Mecha Neko posted:

In this case, old woodblock prints of namazu, the catfish that cause earthquakes.

Huh, all of a sudden the Pokemon Whiscash makes a lot more sense. Its Japanese name is Namazun.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Woohoo, wrapping up some of my weird small projects this week!

Lazy style room party Rocket is officially finished! I'm fairly proud of how it came out, I really hate sewing but I tried to take my time and do a decent job and I think it turned out pretty cute. Gonna repaint the StarCraft rifle before my next con but that's no big deal, fortunately. Super happy with how the lights worked out, it's just some cheap LED tealights underneath a frosted acrylic Christmas ornament that I mounted on a little worbla disc.

And we also built our Halloween costume! It just needs the people holes to be cut.
Looks good...

OH NO

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

McPantserton posted:

And we also built our Halloween costume! It just needs the people holes to be cut.
Looks good...

OH NO

Sweet Jesus.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

chitoryu12 posted:

Sweet Jesus.

I know, it's so tragic. :( We really should have had more lifeboats.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

McPantserton posted:

Looks good...

OH NO

This is easily the best halloween costume I have ever seen :eyepop:.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Bakalakadaka posted:

This is easily the best halloween costume I have ever seen :eyepop:.

Hahah thanks. We're kind of Halloween people, my wedding anniversary is on the 31st. We went as the Trojan Horse a few years ago and it was so fun that we decided to be something huge and weirdly culturally irrelevant again. The Titanic's front and back decks are made out of leftover contact paper from the Horse, in fact.

I'm trying to get everyone to go as the Great Pyramids at Giza next year. :spooky:

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Hahaha! Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Are you guys going to dress up as band members and play instruments as you sink? Because I'd crack up fo sho.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

McPantserton posted:

Hahah thanks. We're kind of Halloween people, my wedding anniversary is on the 31st. We went as the Trojan Horse a few years ago and it was so fun that we decided to be something huge and weirdly culturally irrelevant again. The Titanic's front and back decks are made out of leftover contact paper from the Horse, in fact.

I'm trying to get everyone to go as the Great Pyramids at Giza next year. :spooky:

This is the best idea I've ever seen.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm working on this for Halloween (last minute, of course), and looking for some advice on the finish. Done with bristol board and clear tape (mostly on the interior), using a pattern from the internet.

Surface
My first thought was to cover it with this gold mirror paper that I have, but now that I have it (and a better sense of what I'm going to do with it), I'm liking the idea of just spray painting it white. I'm going to go in and file down/smooth out seams at the joints, but what should I do with gaps: will the backing tape pick up the paint enough to not be a big concern?

Openings
I was going to get some black fabric to cover the openings, the kind that I can see through but hides me (is there a specific name for that?), but is there white fabric with the same effect? I'd like to put some LEDs in to light up the openings, and I'm concerned about the color of the light showing up.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

dupersaurus posted:

I'm working on this for Halloween (last minute, of course), and looking for some advice on the finish. Done with bristol board and clear tape (mostly on the interior), using a pattern from the internet.

Surface
My first thought was to cover it with this gold mirror paper that I have, but now that I have it (and a better sense of what I'm going to do with it), I'm liking the idea of just spray painting it white. I'm going to go in and file down/smooth out seams at the joints, but what should I do with gaps: will the backing tape pick up the paint enough to not be a big concern?

Openings
I was going to get some black fabric to cover the openings, the kind that I can see through but hides me (is there a specific name for that?), but is there white fabric with the same effect? I'd like to put some LEDs in to light up the openings, and I'm concerned about the color of the light showing up.

Man, I'm loving the plain white on that. I wouldn't worry too much about the eyes - if you're wearing that outside your eyes should appear pretty black anyway - you could always just apply some black facepaint around them as well to really make them fade back - fabric is gonna be a huge pain in the rear end to see through in a dark environment.

No clue about the LEDs though, but I imagine with proper backing you can direct the light in one direction, and the relative brightness of the LEDs will certainly make the sockets appear completely dark.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

McKilligan posted:

Man, I'm loving the plain white on that. I wouldn't worry too much about the eyes - if you're wearing that outside your eyes should appear pretty black anyway - you could always just apply some black facepaint around them as well to really make them fade back - fabric is gonna be a huge pain in the rear end to see through in a dark environment.

No clue about the LEDs though, but I imagine with proper backing you can direct the light in one direction, and the relative brightness of the LEDs will certainly make the sockets appear completely dark.

I don't think a dark environment is insured, so I need to cover my face somehow. I've seen costumes before (usually grim reaper-type stuff) that has a fabric cover for your face that still lets you see through, and I was thinking something like that; and if it's white, even better. Although now that I think of it, I could go the bank robber route and get some black panty hose...

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

dupersaurus posted:

Surface

Openings

Could you give a link to the pattern? This is fantastic.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
That mask as it is made me think is was a mask of Killface from Frisky Dingo, but that would be a costume most people wouldnt recognize.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

dupersaurus posted:

Openings
Maybe a sheer chiffon? Paint black around your eyes to make it appear darker.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sapphaholic posted:

Could you give a link to the pattern? This is fantastic.

http://www.wintercroft.com/shop

Whole site of them, mostly animals. Not free, but worth the $$$ from the looks of it.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

dupersaurus posted:

I don't think a dark environment is insured, so I need to cover my face somehow. I've seen costumes before (usually grim reaper-type stuff) that has a fabric cover for your face that still lets you see through, and I was thinking something like that; and if it's white, even better. Although now that I think of it, I could go the bank robber route and get some black panty hose...

I used a black shower curtain fabric for my Raincoat Killer mask. If you go to any fabric store, just ask them if they have a sheer white fabric. Usually letting them know it's for costuming and that you need to see through it will help sometimes. They might just look at you weird....The thing with white fabric is it's easier to see through than black usually.

As for lighting the mask, regardless of the color you use the light should show up. On a white fabric the light should cover more area. Just make sure there is enough room for your LEDs, because they can take up a surprising amount of room. You need to hide your battery container, LEDs, wiring, and switch. Also keep in mind that if you are lighting the eyes, you will loose 100% of your vision in dark areas, so don't keep that on when you don't have to. Putting the LEDs behind the fabric pointed out will diffuse the light, but puts your eyes at risk in a number of ways, not only with the light reflecting back, but with the leads so close to your skin, even under electric tape, can get hot fast or can poke/stab you. It will take a lot of planning to figure out where you want to mount your lights, so really take your time with that and experiment. Also also, check sites like this to see what kind of resistors you need: http://ledcalc.com/. There are far better sites than this one that ask how many LEDs you will have in the circuit, but I can't find the one I usually use right now for some reason. These sites don't show how to wire for a sequence, but a sequence is easier to do and requires less soldering on your part.

Never buy LEDs from a place like Radioshack, you will spend way too much money. Buying LEDs from Amazon is far far far cheaper AND you get better quality LEDs. Why buy 2 LEDs for $10 when you can get 20 for $10 that will last longer and be brighter? The switch and battery holder is usually easier to get from RadioShack though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

The Repo Man posted:

I used a black shower curtain fabric for my Raincoat Killer mask. If you go to any fabric store, just ask them if they have a sheer white fabric. Usually letting them know it's for costuming and that you need to see through it will help sometimes. They might just look at you weird....The thing with white fabric is it's easier to see through than black usually.

As for lighting the mask, regardless of the color you use the light should show up. On a white fabric the light should cover more area. Just make sure there is enough room for your LEDs, because they can take up a surprising amount of room. You need to hide your battery container, LEDs, wiring, and switch. Also keep in mind that if you are lighting the eyes, you will loose 100% of your vision in dark areas, so don't keep that on when you don't have to. Putting the LEDs behind the fabric pointed out will diffuse the light, but puts your eyes at risk in a number of ways, not only with the light reflecting back, but with the leads so close to your skin, even under electric tape, can get hot fast or can poke/stab you. It will take a lot of planning to figure out where you want to mount your lights, so really take your time with that and experiment. Also also, check sites like this to see what kind of resistors you need: http://ledcalc.com/. There are far better sites than this one that ask how many LEDs you will have in the circuit, but I can't find the one I usually use right now for some reason. These sites don't show how to wire for a sequence, but a sequence is easier to do and requires less soldering on your part.

Never buy LEDs from a place like Radioshack, you will spend way too much money. Buying LEDs from Amazon is far far far cheaper AND you get better quality LEDs. Why buy 2 LEDs for $10 when you can get 20 for $10 that will last longer and be brighter? The switch and battery holder is usually easier to get from RadioShack though.

Don't worry, I've no shortage of LEDs from previous projects. The mask has a bunch of empty in good places, plenty of room for the battery, the LEDs (combined RGB), and an Arduino. I may pass on the them for this particular project, though. I put a few roughly in from a circuit I already had laying around, and it kinda sorta works, but I don't think I quite have the time or equipment to do it properly... the power and mode/color-switch are inside (and getting them outside will take some work), and getting good light coverage will be tricky.

I'll check out white fabric, though, just in case. For now I cannibalized a one-way-sight hood from a halloween shop and it works fine when not running the lights. Which may be good enough for this year.

Just need to make a cowl now. Any tips on filling in the open seams?

Edit: egads, smaller pics

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

dupersaurus posted:

Don't worry, I've no shortage of LEDs from previous projects. The mask has a bunch of empty in good places, plenty of room for the battery, the LEDs (combined RGB), and an Arduino. I may pass on the them for this particular project, though. I put a few roughly in from a circuit I already had laying around, and it kinda sorta works, but I don't think I quite have the time or equipment to do it properly... the power and mode/color-switch are inside (and getting them outside will take some work), and getting good light coverage will be tricky.

I'll check out white fabric, though, just in case. For now I cannibalized a one-way-sight hood from a halloween shop and it works fine when not running the lights. Which may be good enough for this year.

Just need to make a cowl now. Any tips on filling in the open seams?

Edit: egads, smaller pics

Goddamn! Those lights are looking great. As for the seams, How about just gluing some A4 paper or bristol board on the interior wherever needed? Seems simple enough. Also, is there any way to make the lower jaw move independently? I can see that being properly creepy!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 30, 2014

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Update on the Magneto helmet:

I didn't really get any tips, but maybe I was overthinking it just because the walls are thinner than I usually deal with.

For the top section, we glued two quarters together and then the resulting halves. It took a bit of pressure to get the slices to be stable, but it was easy once the glue started to dry a bit.

The middle sections were easy to glue together:

and then the bottom parts lined right up:

Tomorrow when I go to glue the large sections together there will a slight misalignment.. The middle is a tiny bit squished in at the sides compared to the top, so I'll have to put a ruler or something in the middle to hold the shape properly. I won't be able to paint in time for halloween, but I think I can get the fill and sanding done.

Bonus - I downloaded this sonic screwdriver for a friend last week and it turned out okay: (source)

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So pumped. My LED lights arrived and they fit absolutely perfectly into the phylactery. Got me 5 colors, white, orange, pink, blue, and green, so I guess I'll be swapping them out throughout the night as the batteries wind down. They're pretty small, so I don't imagine I'll get more than an hour or two each, but GODDAMN do they look loving awesome. The pictures are a bit lovely, but my phone doesn't operate too well in low light, which is the where the whole thing looks awesome.

Here we are freshly painted - the glass bits are taped over still.

I applied a traditional korean rice paper over the glass with a thin film of wood glue to get a rough, opaque look. Here we are with the orange light - an awesome 'torch/lantern' sort of effect.

But I'm gonna be going with the classic 'green' as it is the default 'undead' style color.

EDIT - \/ \/ \/

They're a set of these little things from G-Market.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 30, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat that is looking pretty cool!

Which LEDs did you order on amazon? I'm kinda tempted to build one of these just to set on the shelf. Has a great fantasy/video game look to it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

McKilligan posted:

Goddamn! Those lights are looking great. As for the seams, How about just gluing some A4 paper or bristol board on the interior wherever needed? Seems simple enough. Also, is there any way to make the lower jaw move independently? I can see that being properly creepy!

Unfortunately, all the seams are at pretty steep corners being held together perilously by tape on the backside. There were a few that were hidden by spray paint covering the tape in the gap. I was thinking maybe filling the gaps with some hot glue, then give it another spray, but time's running out.

I think someone with a smaller head than me definitely could rig up a chin-to-chin attachment (my chin's about level with the mouth), but I need all the room I can get in that area to get my head in. The articulation might be a bit stiff, but there's something there.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

techknight posted:

Update on the Magneto helmet:

I didn't really get any tips, but maybe I was overthinking it just because the walls are thinner than I usually deal with.

For the top section, we glued two quarters together and then the resulting halves. It took a bit of pressure to get the slices to be stable, but it was easy once the glue started to dry a bit.

The middle sections were easy to glue together:

and then the bottom parts lined right up:

Tomorrow when I go to glue the large sections together there will a slight misalignment.. The middle is a tiny bit squished in at the sides compared to the top, so I'll have to put a ruler or something in the middle to hold the shape properly. I won't be able to paint in time for halloween, but I think I can get the fill and sanding done.

Bonus - I downloaded this sonic screwdriver for a friend last week and it turned out okay: (source)

keep it white and be "ghost magneto"

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Funhilde posted:

keep it white and be "ghost magneto"

"Repent, Xavier! I am the ghost of future past!" :D

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I made a pumpkin costume for my wife, and I think her mask turned out a lot better than mine:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

TunaSpleen posted:

Details, details, details. Buying premade pieces online is great if you're not very crafty, but if you've got the change to invest in a sweet Renaissance faire costume you can always make tiny improvements just by adding more details like a pewter cloak clasp (under $6), a belt frog (~$10) and costume jewelry befitting the village leader. The main downside to buying everything separately is the difficulty in color coordination. It sticks out badly when someone wears 6+ colors and none of the materials match.

Yeah, I plan on getting accessories like that down the line. Probably another small pouch to fill with some fake gold coins, too, so I have something to slam down on tables when ordering beer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Guzwar posted:

Yeah, I plan on getting accessories like that down the line. Probably another small pouch to fill with some fake gold coins, too, so I have something to slam down on tables when ordering beer.

If you are going to do this, don't use fake gold coins. Instead, go to the bank and get a bunch of Sacagawea dollars. Now you have actual coins in your coinpurse that are legal tender and you can freely use to buy poo poo and tip with, which is a lot better than slamming down your fake coins and then having to carefully scoop them back up and awkwardly offer your debit card instead.

I knew a couple people that would do this for SCA stuff/Renfaires, and it's something that makes a nice little touch. Although I can't guarantee that a real merchant won't hate you for handing them a big bunch of coincs. :v:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Ashcans posted:

If you are going to do this, don't use fake gold coins. Instead, go to the bank and get a bunch of Sacagawea dollars. Now you have actual coins in your coinpurse that are legal tender and you can freely use to buy poo poo and tip with, which is a lot better than slamming down your fake coins and then having to carefully scoop them back up and awkwardly offer your debit card instead.

I knew a couple people that would do this for SCA stuff/Renfaires, and it's something that makes a nice little touch. Although I can't guarantee that a real merchant won't hate you for handing them a big bunch of coincs. :v:

Neato! But it's a US thing, so I'll have to find a Canadian beaver or moose equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Get yourself some shiny loonies I guess. They look sort of goldish, but not quite as bright as our Sacagewa dollar.