Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Dosage poo poo. After having some meds left over this month, I tried 20 mg of Adderall XR, which worked really well. I'm prescribed 10 and I don't think it's doing it anymore, whereas 20 will chill me out and help my patience and emotional regulation. Unfortunately, I also didn't eat anything except some crackers, and even today I cooked breakfast and proceeded to immediately cover it and put it in the fridge...

Sometimes I feel like the 10 works just fine, though. I don't know what the gently caress.

Isn't XR available in 15 mg? That might be a happy middle ground if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jared592 posted:

How has your sleep been?

Really, really lovely for a long time. I have reasons for getting off all of them but it'd take pages.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

Ask for a script for 20 mg and take half daily and other half as needed to measure your reaction imo.

I don't think you can actually do that reliably with Adderall XR. It's full of little pellets, some of which activate immediately and others in around 4 hours... and they all look the same. Maybe it's possible to crush them, but that's a lot of hassle to divide.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you did, they wouldn't be extended release anymore. The coating of the individual pellets is what times them to begin with.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Yeah, I'll look into getting 15s.

Anyone turn into a lovely crybaby when their dose wears off for the day? Like if I'm trying to do something mentally taxing and the Adderall wears off, I want to throw whatever I'm working on at the wall and scream gently caress THIS. Extended release really helps taper the dose off gradually, I can't tolerate the up and down of instant release through the day, but I tend to get hyperfocused, working through pain/fatigue until I'm run the gently caress down and my gf has to tell me to stop doing ___. I got a new phone a few months ago and Samsung has this weird thing you have to do to get windows to read the drive as a storage device, and I was only five minutes in before losing all my patience and wanting to heave my phone at the floor.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Frustration at messing up something simple sure, flying into rage about it and wanting to break crap no.

Calm yourself bro or you'll scare the lady.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
When mine wear off, it's like a switch is flipped and suddenly my brain feels like jelly and I need sleep, no aggression or anything......

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
I was getting that instant sleepiness for a while, I upped my morning dose and it seems to wear off not as suddenly.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

Frustration at messing up something simple sure, flying into rage about it and wanting to break crap no.

Calm yourself bro or you'll scare the lady.

I have an appointment with a psychologist early next month.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I just get a headache and start feeling cold.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

copper rose petal posted:

I was getting that instant sleepiness for a while, I upped my morning dose and it seems to wear off not as suddenly.

My morning is my biggest dose too, but around 930PM, when all of my stims wear off, I just collapse. poo poo is rough, but I usually don't have anything to do after 8, so it's not a big deal. Although if I'm tired enough, I get really pissy and petty....

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I have a problem with pushing myself way past fatigue when I'm busy, mostly I get irritable and pissy/have crying jags

Before I was diagnosed, I had to work as quickly as possible all in one go, because as soon as I put something down to take a break, lol if you think I could ever start it up again

i clearly have problems other than adhd

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Ditto for pretty much all the posts on this page when it comes to what I experienced on Dex and Adderall. Vyvanse didn't do that, but it also took something like 2 to 4 hours to kick in, which really blows for making it out of bed at a sane time (or I could put a second alarm on super early to take it in advance, but then I get even less sleep and it peters the gently caress out halfway through the time I need it to be working :downsgun:).

On the "more than just ADHD" side... I've seen multiple people, both in this thread and elsewhere when having ADHD comes up, mentioning hosed up childhoods. I really wish there was more research on that - what it does physiologically etc - sometimes I get the impression that there's so much taboo/awkwardness around that topic that it gets reflected in the medical field. I've had therapists say that since I'm no longer living with my biological family, I shouldn't be having any trouble anymore that could be related to that. Even had one massive jerk tell me that I was probably abused because I had mental problems, not possibly the other way around. And that bothers the hell out of me, because it is known that chronic stress, especially chronic childhood stress, has all sorts of hosed up long-term effects on the human body - even animal models, etc... But that's just not being looked into, especially if most of the symptoms neatly fit under the umbrella of stuff like ADHD that could be waved away as congenital. And that's almost like blaming the victim - "oh, nah, you have x y z so you were clearly screwed up in the first place."

Don't really know where I'm going with that and I may be overthinking it, just wanted to get it off my chest :(

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 31, 2014

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

i clearly have problems other than adhd

this is actually the norm for people with adhd

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Culinary Bears posted:

Ditto for pretty much all the posts on this page when it comes to what I experienced on Dex and Adderall. Vyvanse didn't do that, but it also took something like 2 to 4 hours to kick in, which really blows for making it out of bed at a sane time (or I could put a second alarm on super early to take it in advance, but then I get even less sleep and it peters the gently caress out halfway through the time I need it to be working :downsgun:).
Vyvanse is lovely like that. Most prodrugs are, because they need to be absorbed in your intestinal tract and then metabolized in your liver before they can even start taking effect. Depending on how healthy or generally efficient your liver is, that can take a greater or smaller amount of time. Regular drugs just go intestines -> blood stream -> brain, which is obviously much faster.

Culinary Bears posted:

On the "more than just ADHD" side... I've seen multiple people, both in this thread and elsewhere when having ADHD comes up, mentioning hosed up childhoods. I really wish there was more research on that - what it does physiologically etc - sometimes I get the impression that there's so much taboo/awkwardness around that topic that it gets reflected in the medical field. I've had therapists say that since I'm no longer living with my biological family, I shouldn't be having any trouble anymore that could be related to that. Even had one massive jerk tell me that I was probably abused because I had mental problems, not possibly the other way around. And that bothers the hell out of me, because it is known that chronic stress, especially chronic childhood stress, has all sorts of hosed up long-term effects on the human body - even animal models, etc... But that's just not being looked into, especially if most of the symptoms neatly fit under the umbrella of stuff like ADHD that could be waved away as congenital. And that's almost like blaming the victim - "oh, nah, you have x y z so you were clearly screwed up in the first place."
Can't speak for anyone else, but I pretty much was screwed up from the beginning. There isn't really any other way to explain it. I started having issues as soon as I got into school, but my family life was perfectly fine and supportive. A bit distant, on my parents' side, but not abusive in any sense of the term. There's nothing there that should have been causing the problems I ended up having.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's not a mystery when ADHD develops, it's almost always during pregnancy. Then very rarely due to environmental factors during infancy, and even more rarely later due to brain injuries as a result of illness or trauma at a very young age. It's a physical condition involving delayed frontal lobe development, it has nothing to do with how well you were treated or your emotional state when you were a kid.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I certainly inherited from my father, he's at least as physically restless and twitchy as I am.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Oh I'm absolutely not saying that all ADHD is caused by bad parenting... or any of it, especially if you use the older definition where symptoms have to be present before something like age 6-7. What I should have been clearer about is that I wonder whether childhood trauma can sometimes result in symptoms of ADHD, without actually being ADHD as it is commonly understood (perhaps - IANAD - due to some sort of damage to the same parts of the brain that are otherwise not developed properly in ADHD).

And those symptoms may even be adequately treated by medications for ADHD, but sometimes other issues come up. E.g. completely anecdotal here, but the people I know who used stuff like Adderall XR and had very standard ADHD would not experience crashes to the extreme extent that I would, complete with crushing depression, rage, etc - I've most heard of that from people who have alluded to messed up childhoods. Of course it's possible that that's just a response for any case of... say... ADHD + depression or whatever. But I think it's something that's worth looking into. I'm fairly sure that my symptoms only got really bad by around age 12 and always felt like a gradually worsening process, let alone that while my family's pretty screwed up, they're not really screwed up in this particular way... but I've had psychs straight up not believe me because "symptoms fit ADHD on WAIS tests, meds work more-or-less, ADHD is something you always have, you've always had this so you shouldn't be getting worse or having other problems".

I mean, I'll take that over no treatment, but it's still a lovely attitude. And I find it really bizarre how stuff like the DSM can have two people with the same broad disorder, let's say an ADHD-PI and ADHD-PH, that only have a couple of symptoms in common at best, while meanwhile there's not a whole lot said about the symptoms that are shared across multiple disorders beyond "welp, let's see which category is the best fit" (caveat, maybe I've not had the fortune to encounter good doctors). I've heard the NIMH is moving away from DSM definitions for those very reasons, but it'll probably take several years for any alternatives, and it's still not promising any comprehensive assessment for whatever childhood trauma tends to do to adults, if it's connected to any other comorbid health issues, how to go about treating that, etc.

Hey, looks like I'm not entirely talking out of my rear end. It's even complete with a reference to that "your awful behavior must've made your parents do it!" hypothesis!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I had a hosed up upbringing and was actually on medication during some of the worst of it, which sucked because I would get in trouble for being depressed or having rage problems when my meds wore off (especially adderall XR), and my parents blamed those emotions on me and my "inability to manage myself" and had me to all sorts of therapists and poo poo before I finally realized in high school "oh, actually this is my meds making me feel like this."

My parents may have meant the best but they have mental instabilities themselves and they definitely did more harm than good with the way they responded to the side effects of my medication, and my behavior in general - though if I hadn't been on medication at all when I was younger I would probably have ended up waaaay worse than I did in the long run. They made it seem like every little thing I did that they didn't like was a huge failing on my part and made me "weird" and "bad" and I would never amount to anything if I kept acting that way. Example: "you got a B on a test? OK, that means you are going to end up either on the street or in prison you gently caress up, why can't you just try harder? You'll never amount to anything with this attitude, which is why we are making you retake the class next year. You better hope you get an A in it."

I think the only reason I didn't kill myself or w/e was because it was super, super obvious that I was actually pretty drat normal and my parents were just totally off the deep end, so I just kinda knew that I'd be OK once I hit the real world. I was right, too. Though I eschewed my meds for a few years after high school and kinda just spun my tires in place until I realized that they actually did help me and - what do you know - coming down from them is a lot nicer when you don't have a crazy parent riding your rear end telling you you'll never amount to anything/are an rear end in a top hat every drat evening.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 31, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Well, my mother beat me nearly every day until around the time I hit high school. I have almost no memories and lack the ability to remember most things from more than about two to three days ago, so life is new and horrible in different ways, constantly.

I'm not sure how much of this is ADHD and how much is PTSD, but they dovetail nicely, ADHD is the cherry on top of the garbage puree sundae.

I remember in school we were asked to hand in our completed worksheets. I had the worksheet, but it was blank. I had no recollection of ever receiving a worksheet, or taking it home, or anything, but there it was, and it was like an entire day was simply skipped over, and that hosed me up, thoroughly. It was the middle of the week, so it couldn't be blamed on simply forgetting over the weekend.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 31, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Jesus christ that is about 1000x worse than I had it. :(

But yeah that poo poo definitely doesn't help memory/motivation/anxiety/depression.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I am waiting for my psych to phone me about medication. His office arranged with me on Wednesday to phone at 11am on Thursday. You may see a problem here. The office reply when I said ??? was basically "lol whoops". I am waiting for the phone call and I would rather wait for a week with a specific time in mind than sit here on edge terrified that I'll miss the call. My stomach is churning and aching. I'm not doing well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not sure how much of this is ADHD and how much is PTSD, but they dovetail nicely
Do they ever. You get to have anxiety and depression for two separate reasons.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Have my meeting with my psych in an hour and a half, or rather 3 hours if you include the waiting room, maybe more. She can't force me to take medication, anyone wanna take bets on how long she says it'll take for me to titrate down or recover from withdrawal?

Wellbutrin 300mg XR 1/day
Abilify 10mg 1/night
Doxepin 100mg 1/night
Gabapentin 300mg 3/day
Adderall 30mg 1-2/day as needed
Klonopin .5mg 1-2/day as needed (only on my first month)

Gonna try to cut out caffeine and nicotine as well

Any advice is appreciated

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 31, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I don't really have any advice other than go easy on that, Wellbutrin can lower your seizure threshold and stopping klonopin can cause seizures, so you're gonna want to go real slowly.

Holy cow though that's a cocktail. Kinda seems way overkill.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

signalnoise posted:

Have my meeting with my psych in an hour and a half, or rather 3 hours if you include the waiting room, maybe more. She can't force me to take medication, anyone wanna take bets on how long she says it'll take for me to titrate down or recover from withdrawal?

Wellbutrin 300mg XR 1/day
Abilify 10mg 1/night
Doxepin 100mg 1/night
Gabapentin 300mg 3/day
Adderall 30mg 1-2/day as needed
Klonopin .5mg 1-2/day as needed (only on my first month)

Gonna try to cut out caffeine and nicotine as well

Any advice is appreciated

Rip bro.

Seriously lmao, are you attention seeking or what. Why are you on so much to begin with. You're going to end up in the psych ward man

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Smoothrich posted:

Rip bro.

Seriously lmao, are you attention seeking or what. Why are you on so much to begin with. You're going to end up in the psych ward man

Nah someone asked last page and I said no but I seriously wanted advice from anyone familiar with dropping lots of meds and figured when I said "a lot" it'd be easier if I quantified it.

Anyways the verdict ended up being 2 weeks recovery minimum, half the poo poo is discontinue use immediately the other half is titrated. Also the reason I'm on so much to begin with is because of things that landed me in a psych ward so :toot:

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I do not know about in the US but here at least for my diagnosis I had to actually go to a psych which meant I went through quite a few sessions first
despite my earlier diagnosis in life.

One of the things he checked was what effect my childhood was having on me as an adult. I had a childhood that while not as bad as some was not also not
fantastic.

My father and mother while I was growing up used to beat the ever living crap out of me for whatever reason they could find. No money this week? That's a
beating, no cash for weed this week? That's a beating, the prime minister did something that angered my old man? That's a beating.

I would get flogged until I bled with whatever was around, electricity cords, dog chains, whatever happened to be closest at the time. A particular favourite
when they really wanted to drive home how much they disliked my presence is the old man would seek out his belt and actually add one of his largest buckles
to it with the threat of "Ill hit you so hard you wont sit for a week". Trust me when I say this, by the time he was done he was made an honest man.

When I was ten years old I was involved in an argument with my father when I made the mistake of retorting with "Well like father like son" only to have my
father respond by breaking my nose with a single punch and delivering the amazing one liner of "Well I am not your father". Nice way to find out that sort
of thing.

The above is the tip of the iceberg, it can be combined with the years they both spent telling me I would amount to nothing and end up in prison being someones
little bitch because the big prison guys loved little pretty boys like me and would apparently open up my arse large enough that my mouth would no longer be my
biggest orifice. Good times. I received no encouragement in either education or while looking ahead to my future. I was constantly run down and degenerated constantly
for most of my early life until adulthood, at least along the way they kicked me out to live with my grandparents which helped me to realise there was a better world
out there.

The point is at any rate is despite my childhood the conclusion from the psych was despite the fact that I should show signs of PTSD or at least some negative affect
from my upbringing I am amazingly well adjusted and somehow seem to have avoided letting my upbringing have any effect upon my adult life.

From my perspective my reasoning has always been that what I went through growing up made me the man it did today. Sure it could have been better but had it been better
I am not sure that I may have had the same drive to succeed and to prove myself that I do today which means I may have very well became an entirely different person.

What is the point of this horrible wall of text that seems largely unimportant? In theory my upbringing and my diagnosis of ADHD, at least as an adult appear to be unrelated.
One does not appear to be caused by the other which as I understand it is largely to be considered normal.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Insidius, you from the UK right? Can you give me some background on the process? What do I need my GP to do? Also I hear the NHS has huge waiting lists and people tend to go private but I'm not sure how expensive that would be or anything.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

pippy posted:

Insidius, you from the UK right? Can you give me some background on the process? What do I need my GP to do? Also I hear the NHS has huge waiting lists and people tend to go private but I'm not sure how expensive that would be or anything.

Australia I am afraid. I went to my GP and explained my earlier childhood diagnosis and stated that I felt as though perhaps it had not quite vanished as I had
assumed and would like to be "tested" as it were.

I was referred to a psych who made the final call but I did go through quite a few sessions to rule out other things. Bipolar, PTSD, etc. The big thing out here
I believe is that you need to have been diagnosed previously as its very rare to not have been picked up in childhood.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Anyways the verdict ended up being 2 weeks recovery minimum, half the poo poo is discontinue use immediately the other half is titrated.
Good. If you stopped taking all that stuff at once you'd probably die of shock or something.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cardiovorax posted:

Good. If you stopped taking all that stuff at once you'd probably die of shock or something.

Don't encourage him to stop all his treatment man. Probably needs something for a very good reason. Don't want a goon going crazy and getting arrested or worse.

Be real smart about your brain bro, it might gently caress up bad without some help so hope you aren't losing your poo poo.

signalnoise posted:

Nah someone asked last page and I said no but I seriously wanted advice from anyone familiar with dropping lots of meds and figured when I said "a lot" it'd be easier if I quantified it.

Yeah I got experience with that. Watching my brother get hauled off by cops to the psych ward after staring alone at walls in his room for weeks straight, every other year or so after he smashed his head in a car accident and went all catatonic schizo. Its real awful. So I get nervous hearing someone maybe making excuses to themselves to quit all their meds at once cuz even when he was lucid but not getting help he'd get arrested stalking backyards for fantasy quest crap cuz he thinks he feels fine.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 1, 2014

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
QUOTE NOT EDIT..

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

Don't encourage him to stop all his treatment man.
I'm not. Just relieved he isn't actually trying to go detox on all of it all at once. There's a bad idea and there's suicidal.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Going off benzos cold will literally kill you and if it doesn't you'll wish it would.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not. Just relieved he isn't actually trying to go detox on all of it all at once. There's a bad idea and there's suicidal.

How do you think someone ends up suicidal?

This guy is posting about dissociative episodes and was recently institutionalized and force fed a pharmaceutical cocktail that probably feels horrible but that's the kind of set up to psychosis if he gets unlucky.

Stay sane goon. Smoke weed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

How do you think someone ends up suicidal?
In my personal experience? Lots of things. Suddenly stopping to take a whole bunch of meds that gently caress with your brain chemistry is a good way to shortcut the "suicidal" stage and go straight to "suicide."

Also, do not smoke weed. Bad idea.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

There's multiple good reasons I talked to my doctor about this before doing it, I am meeting up with her and my talkie doctor in two weeks, and I have their numbers in case things get bad. I have my wife, I've talked to my boss about getting medical leave and even if they deny it to me I can work from home to prevent vehicle accidents. Aside from feeling absolutely terrible for a few weeks I think I should be OK. Also the plan is to get back to knowing what vanilla brain tastes like before trying out any more toppings so to speak. Thanks for well-wishes though goons! :)

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Don't thank us thank your wife in advance haha. Hope you got some TV or games to binge on while you get straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

signalnoise posted:

There's multiple good reasons I talked to my doctor about this before doing it, I am meeting up with her and my talkie doctor in two weeks, and I have their numbers in case things get bad. I have my wife, I've talked to my boss about getting medical leave and even if they deny it to me I can work from home to prevent vehicle accidents. Aside from feeling absolutely terrible for a few weeks I think I should be OK. Also the plan is to get back to knowing what vanilla brain tastes like before trying out any more toppings so to speak. Thanks for well-wishes though goons! :)
Just remember to keep telling yourself that not everything you're going to feel will be real. Meds don't just hide emotional problems, they fix a lot about what's causing them in the first place. If the feelings you have without them were real or healthy, you wouldn't need the treatment to begin with. Even if they do feel very, very real and deserved. Good luck, man.