Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

The thing to remember is that if you're doing well (a reasonable number of cities with high population for the era), you're pretty much guaranteed to have happiness problems up until the Renaissance Era--you can trade luxury resources, but there's a hard happiness cap and unless you purposefully throttle your growth, your pop is gonna catch up to you FAST.

Your two best tools for combating unhappiness come in the Renaissance Era in the form of the Forbidden Palace, and in Ideologies since they fight it on a percentage level rather than giving you a lump sum of :). Unhappiness in your empire is simply a fact of life for a while. The challenge is keeping it manageable until you can more or less eliminate it entirely--if it's the micromanagement aspect that you dislike, however, then I can relate, brother.

You still have city states to manage happiness as either a tall or wide empire, although going wide is a huge waste since BNW changes incentivize tall play almost to exclusion. Being allied with a CS that has a different resource than you is a whopping 12 happiness, or 10, I can't remember if you get 2 or 4 for being allies anymore. Combined with coliseums and you should have no trouble with happiness at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's only Mercantile states, which you may or may not encounter and if you don't have their map luxury or their unique mercantile luxury, allying with them will give you 10 :). Due to the distribution of luxuries in every game, however, because they programmed it to stupidly count mercantile luxuries against the map size luxury diversity cap, there's a very high chance that the first Mercantile CS that you buy will have the same special luxury as every other Mercantile CS on the entire map. Add that to the resource overlap if you have a wide empire (and by wide, I mean "even as few as six cities") and chances are that first CS will give you the full 10 :) and every other one will only give you the +2 from being friends with them.

Mercantile CSes were, unfortunately, really interesting in concept, but executed exceedingly poorly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fintilgin posted:

I loved that feature too. But it's hard to see it ever returning with how expensive graphical content is. Especially because for the cost of 4 era specific leader outfits for say, Shaka, they could probably make 3 whole new 'static' Civ leaders.

I don't know who really clamors for having fully 3D animated leaders. Maybe I'm underestimating the cost of 2D versus 3D art, but I would be perfectly happy with static 2D portraits a la the Wonders. I usually turn off those animations anyway because I'm hammering through diplomacy screens, so a static painting is basically as good as an animation anyway.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

That's only Mercantile states, which you may or may not encounter and if you don't have their map luxury or their unique mercantile luxury, allying with them will give you 10 :). Due to the distribution of luxuries in every game, however, because they programmed it to stupidly count mercantile luxuries against the map size luxury diversity cap, there's a very high chance that the first Mercantile CS that you buy will have the same special luxury as every other Mercantile CS on the entire map. Add that to the resource overlap if you have a wide empire (and by wide, I mean "even as few as six cities") and chances are that first CS will give you the full 10 :) and every other one will only give you the +2 from being friends with them.

Mercantile CSes were, unfortunately, really interesting in concept, but executed exceedingly poorly.

Where are you settling that after getting the first CS, pre-renaissance, you are having happiness problems that can't be solved by just coliseums? Happiness was a huge limiting factor before G&K but it is basically a joke and going wide is barely worth it in BNW, so I honestly have no idea where you are coming from. Even if somehow that wasn't enough, you still have the Circus Maxiums after you build your coliseums, so I honestly don't see how it can be an issue.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pvt.Scott posted:

Idea: have a limit of units per tile that expands per techs. You'd form them into armies. Say you start out with two slots, front and rear. Two warriors would just be a big melee mob but an archer behind a warrior would get to do its damage first and take say, 25% of the damage that the front rank does. Cavalry against this formation would do the opposite, 75% of the damage to the back row, as the two unit formation doesn't have flanking units to protect it yet. Eventually you'd have front, rear, left and right flanks and a support slot or two. Support would be things like medics, engineers (for crossing rivers, building fortifications etc.) artillery, AA, officers and so on. Maybe even have a slot for assigning air units to CAS. You now have some interesting tactical choices to make in force composition without the AI getting bunched up on terrain with its ranged units out of position and you don't have stacks of doom because there's a hard limit on military units per hex.

E: you would design the armies and then build them whole. For an example of this working well, check out Kohan: the immortal lords.

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is pretty much how the first few games worked, except combat was to the death. A lucky spearman could take out 100 tanks at once. :black101:

My understanding is that Civ1 was "defender dies, everything on tile dies", and SMAC was "defender dies, everything on tile takes a bit of damage as its reactor explodes". The latter is a tad more reasonable.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I don't care about 3D leaders, but I do like the languages being used

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:getin: Hopefully I can actually stick with this one and play it ridiculously far into the future. So much loving uranium and oil.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

:getin: Hopefully I can actually stick with this one and play it ridiculously far into the future. So much loving uranium and oil.

Those poor bastards Arabia stuck in the middle of the only desert on the map.

Is there any way to increase the range on caravans and cargo ships to compensate for the increased distance between civs on such a map?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know who really clamors for having fully 3D animated leaders. Maybe I'm underestimating the cost of 2D versus 3D art, but I would be perfectly happy with static 2D portraits a la the Wonders. I usually turn off those animations anyway because I'm hammering through diplomacy screens, so a static painting is basically as good as an animation anyway.

Me. I am a total sucker for that poo poo. :negative:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Those poor bastards Arabia stuck in the middle of the only desert on the map.

Is there any way to increase the range on caravans and cargo ships to compensate for the increased distance between civs on such a map?

Not to worry. They've got more than enough food. If you look at their coastline, it's basically side by side fish, whales, crab, and pearls, and that's not counting all the sheep and cattle. The resources in the desert are obscenely dense. I doubt anyone is going to be lacking on oil unless it's so late in the game that each turn takes like 3 minutes to load, but if they are, Arabia is the place to get it. I hosed up and realized that loading a scenario won't allow you to just auto-spawn 36 city states, so I'll have to add them in manually. That should help out with the trading.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 30, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Athaboros posted:

All right, the Quality of Life modpack has been updated for the newest patch. Here's what's in it this time:

I haven't done much playtesting on this version, but it should be fine. Let me know if you see anything weird.

I tried to use it but it crashed. I don't have some of the secenario DLC but I have all the Civ/Expansion DLCs. Do you know which DLCs are required or is it all of them but the map ones?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Marketing New Brain posted:

Where are you settling that after getting the first CS, pre-renaissance, you are having happiness problems that can't be solved by just coliseums? Happiness was a huge limiting factor before G&K but it is basically a joke and going wide is barely worth it in BNW, so I honestly have no idea where you are coming from. Even if somehow that wasn't enough, you still have the Circus Maxiums after you build your coliseums, so I honestly don't see how it can be an issue.

I don't settle, I just take a bunch of enemy capitals that have luxuries I don't own yet. In turn, I get crazy luxury diversity and tend to have access to all but one or two by the time I'm done conquering.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

THE BAR posted:

Is this true, or are we talking early cardboard machines like the Mark V?

Haha . I have no doubt a sufficiently determined combatant could manage to completely destroy a sword by punching through the "armor" on one of those early armored cars.

Anything else is internet neckbeardery and animes. I think there's a post floating around in the ether about how a properly made Japanese blade could cut through anything, ever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe it's just the tanks all simultaneously malfunctioning and catching fire.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe it's just the tanks all simultaneously malfunctioning and catching fire.

If videogames have taught me anything, it's that if you punch a vehicle long enough, it will explode.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A dude with a loincloth and a spear is going to win against a tank in the movies. We love an underdog.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Pvt.Scott posted:

A dude with a loincloth and a spear is going to win against a tank in the movies. We love an underdog.

I for one cannot wait for Civilization: The Movie. Ghandi tearing apart a tank battalion with a spear and then riding a nuke into London.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Civ VI had better have some sort of unique Indian MIRV nuke.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hey Gort, your mods also break with the new CiV patch. I'm guessing you realized this already, but if not, well. The most obvious problem is that resources are no longer marked on the map view. Started a new game, went "What? All my capital city gets is some stone?", and restarted twice before figuring out what was going on :v:

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Holy poo poo why is Quick harder than standard speed? I'm not even really losing, but juggling what to build is so much harder, especially if you make a new city late in the game and have to catch up.

Also, is there a way to get your original religion back in your holy city if it gets converted?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Also, is there a way to get your original religion back in your holy city if it gets converted?

Spawn a great prophet and use it to cleanse the city of infidels.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Holy poo poo why is Quick harder than standard speed? I'm not even really losing, but juggling what to build is so much harder, especially if you make a new city late in the game and have to catch up.

Quick is harder than standard because the marginal value of turns is increased. Any mistakes you make in build or tech order will cost you more simply by virtue of the fact you will get less turns in a game. You're also selectively disadvantaged compared; it is much harder and more expensive to keep units up to date. You'll have a harder time keeping up compared to the AI since their passive difficulty bonuses usually allow them to keep an up to date military on hand.

Exploring tends to be harder too, as units can't travel as far or discover as many ruins in a proportional amount of time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Quick also reduces the importance of military altogether, since units get fewer turns to go a-conquering with. Since one of the AI's biggest failings is in being totally incompetent at unit management, Quick "plays to the AI's strengths". Meanwhile, the slower game speeds tend to favor the human player(s), for the opposite reason.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey Gort, your mods also break with the new CiV patch. I'm guessing you realized this already, but if not, well. The most obvious problem is that resources are no longer marked on the map view. Started a new game, went "What? All my capital city gets is some stone?", and restarted twice before figuring out what was going on :v:

Do you have them installed through the workshop, or in the fake expansion method?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fintilgin posted:

I loved that feature too. But it's hard to see it ever returning with how expensive graphical content is. Especially because for the cost of 4 era specific leader outfits for say, Shaka, they could probably make 3 whole new 'static' Civ leaders.

In my ~ideal~ world though, where Civ VI has Call of Duty's budget, they'd take it even further, with era specific war outfits. So when you're at peace with Washington during the mid game he's like vanilla Civ V, but when you're at war he's out in the field on horseback in a Colonial army uniform. When you're in the modern era, he's sitting in the Oval Office at peace, and in camo fatigues in front of a humvee, with a assault rifle when at war. :3:

Yeahhhh, man. This just got me pumped about Civ 3 again. Alright, let's take the leaders from 3, the advisors from 2 (or just Elvis), combat & vassalage systems of 4, trade routes, religion, and ideologies of 5.

And also it's in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFQDeYXq_iw
:allears: the cobblestones beneath our feet have more learning than we do, sii-iii-ire.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 31, 2014

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Gort posted:

Do you have them installed through the workshop, or in the fake expansion method?

If it's the latter, I had to update mine to make it work too (even though none of the mods themselves needed updating).

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

I tried to use it but it crashed. I don't have some of the secenario DLC but I have all the Civ/Expansion DLCs. Do you know which DLCs are required or is it all of them but the map ones?

I have all of them but the Scrambled maps. I would think that the only ones that really matter are the ones that include the various civs. If you want to PM me a screenshot of whatever your errors are, I can see if I can figure it out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

The fake expansion method. But maybe something's screwy with my install, because I also tried the QoL pack that was posted here and CiV kept crashing on me. :shrug: Works fine with no "fake DLC" installed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

OK, I remade the modpack for the new patch

Contents:

Active AI in multiplayer

Social Policy Rebalance - Buffs up non-Tradition starter social policies to give more of a choice at game start

AI Rebalance - Removes AI free techs and cheap unit maintenance, gives them cheaper techs throughout the game and lots of free promotions on their units

National College Nerf - Makes the National College a flat +10 Science - nice, but not something to rush to every game

Rebalanced Warfare - Gives all infantry +50% strength against cities, rebalances ranged units so that they always have 2 range, and rebalances siege units so they always have 3 range and indirect fire

The pack is compatible with multiplayer as long as everyone has it, and if you play it singleplayer you'll get achievements.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Volkerball posted:

How did you generate this pretty map?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Awesome, I'll have to give it a shot after work. Thanks!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
How hard is it going back to older Civ games? I started with 5 and Im getting tired of "one city challenge" actually being a boon instead of a challenge. My last few games I won just by building a mega city and crushing via trade and science. Oh, you're invading me with 6 spearmen? Let me just purchase a single rifleman and crush you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
1-3 are varying degrees of loving ancient and not terribly good. Civ IV is a good but quite different game, so you have to relearn a lot of stuff.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, Civ 4 is a good game. Graphics and interface are a bit dated compared to 5, but the mechanics are strong, and it's a game the AI actually knows how to play unlike 5.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Yeah, Civ 4 is a good game. Graphics and interface are a bit dated compared to 5, but the mechanics are strong, and it's a game the AI actually knows how to play unlike 5.

I would say more that it's a game that the AI is more convincing in. Civ4's AI acts more like NPCs in a videogame than equals of the player, so e.g. you can actually get them to vote for you for World Leader if they like you enough, and they won't hate you forever just because you sniped a city from someone else. Which isn't to say that keeping them happy is trivial, but it's possible to get AIs who actually like you in Civ4, even if you're some world-spanning empire, as opposed to just pretending to like you like they do in Civ5.

The AI can do warfare in Civ4 better than it can in Civ5, but that's because warfare in Civ4 is pretty simple -- build big armies, mash them into each other, whoever still has dudes left at the end is the winner.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

For those who have played Civ Rev (if you haven't I felt it was quite fun) what did you think of that game's army system? I felt it was a great inbetween solution to allow higher unit density but still keep the concepts of 1upt (limiting stack size, army density issues).

An army was a 3 unit stack, you would form one and put in three units of the same type. If a unit was inside an army it could get great general status and give the stack bonuses, but I imagine that in a Civ 5 version of armies you could assign a great general to lead one.

It seemed like a really elegant solution and allows for a tripling of unit density while keeping the same mechanics. I was always curious why they didn't mess with it in Civ 5 at all? 1UPT can still work as long as you consider the army 1 unit, and it allows the AI's higher production to be more of a factor in warfare.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Rakthar posted:

For those who have played Civ Rev (if you haven't I felt it was quite fun) what did you think of that game's army system? I felt it was a great inbetween solution to allow higher unit density but still keep the concepts of 1upt (limiting stack size, army density issues).

Civ Rev doesn't limit stack size at all. You can have a thousand units on one tile. It isn't an "inbetween solution", it 100% throws 1 UPT in the bin and the player with the largest number of units wins.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gort posted:

Civ Rev doesn't limit stack size at all. You can have a thousand units on one tile. It isn't an "inbetween solution", it 100% throws 1 UPT in the bin and the player with the largest number of units wins.

Sorry I was unclear, I wasn't suggesting to implement the Civ Rev combat system. I was just thinking that the "3 units can form an army" system from Civ Rev might be interesting in Civ 5's tactical combat system.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The one thing from Civ Rev that needs to be in Civ VI is the ability of some boats to have shore parties with limited range so you can get ruins and do coastal pillaging.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Rakthar posted:

Sorry I was unclear, I wasn't suggesting to implement the Civ Rev combat system. I was just thinking that the "3 units can form an army" system from Civ Rev might be interesting in Civ 5's tactical combat system.

I think the only thing that would change at that point is that the three-unit army would become the standard unit and nothing else would change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gort posted:

I think the only thing that would change at that point is that the three-unit army would become the standard unit and nothing else would change.

Do you not feel that if the computer was able to put say 9 melee units around a player city with 3 tiles open against a player's 3 comp bowmen that this would make them fight more effectively than 3 melee units getting whittled down by 3 comp bowmen while the rest stand around?

• Locked thread