Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
There is an Hourman show in development but it doesn't seem to be the traditional Hourman yet (that might have changed since Warner went all in on comic books)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm seconding the motion that the DCW Universe needs to have a Justice Society happen in it. Bring in Wildcat! That'd be a natural fit!

We just need Hawkman or Hawkgirl/woman to be their Wonder Woman and we'll have a pseudo trinity for the DCWU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm seconding the motion that the DCW Universe needs to have a Justice Society happen in it. Bring in Wildcat! That'd be a natural fit!

See, sometimes I have good ideas.

I just want Ted Knight but I'm pretty sure Johns will shove his sister into this universe as well.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Xelkelvos posted:

We just need Hawkman or Hawkgirl/woman to be their Wonder Woman and we'll have a pseudo trinity for the DCWU

That would be Supergirl as soon as they confirm her show to be part of the Arrowverse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krad posted:

That would be Supergirl as soon as they confirm her show to be part of the Arrowverse.

I'm really curious to see if CBS allows that. But the CW guys have said they want a third show and they are setting up two new heroes this season.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I'm only just now getting into Arrow after watching the pilot a few years ago, deciding that the show took itself too seriously to be worth all the potential it promised, and immediately becoming disinterested. Those first few episodes are a real slog, but Arrow slowly realized what The Flash seems to have pulled off from the opening shot. The idea that comic books are kinda fun and maybe having a little more fun with the concept might make for a more entertaining show.

tsob posted:

The fact that Iris has had her relationship with Eddie discovered after only 3 episodes with Joe taking it in stride rather than exiling his daughter or something makes me hopeful in this regard thankfully, because that aspect of Arrow really is the worst part of the entire thing and drags it down a lot in my opinion.

Joe West takes everything in stride.

"Best friend killed his wife? Guess I'll adopt his son."

"Daughter's dating my partner? Use protection, you two."

"Barry woke up from his coma with superpowers and now he wants to fight other people with superpowers? Seems weird to me, but you do you, kid."

I love seeing him and Barry together, and the corny speech about what a father is actually worked because of how good a character Joe West is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

I'm only just now getting into Arrow after watching the pilot a few years ago, deciding that the show took itself too seriously to be worth all the potential it promised, and immediately becoming disinterested. Those first few episodes are a real slog, but Arrow slowly realized what The Flash seems to have pulled off from the opening shot. The idea that comic books are kinda fun and maybe having a little more fun with the concept might make for a more entertaining show.

Everything the Flash was able to do right out of the gate is due to the universe Arrow started building n the second half of season 1.

Inkspot posted:

Joe West takes everything in stride.

"Best friend killed his wife? Guess I'll adopt his son."

"Daughter's dating my partner? Use protection, you two."

"Barry woke up from his coma with superpowers and now he wants to fight other people with superpowers? Seems weird to me, but you do you, kid."

I love seeing him and Barry together, and the corny speech about what a father is actually worked because of how good a character Joe West is.

It doesn't hurt that Jesse L Martin is an amazing actor.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Rhyno posted:

I'm really curious to see if CBS allows that. But the CW guys have said they want a third show and they are setting up two new heroes this season.

If they were talking about the Atom and Firestorm, eh... I don't think I'd watch either of those.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The lesson we learn from both The Flash and Arrow is that dads (at least, those that are cops) can be really awesome people despite not having any sort of powers.

God I love Joe and Detective Lance. Both are my favourite characters of their respective shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krad posted:

If they were talking about the Atom and Firestorm, eh... I don't think I'd watch either of those.

Nobody was excited about Arrow when it was announced either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In fact, Flash is the only recent superhero show that wasn't met by apathy or skepticism from the internet when it was announced. We were super psyched for Flash.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There needs to be a Lance/West buddy cop crossover episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

In fact, Flash is the only recent superhero show that wasn't met by apathy or skepticism from the internet when it was announced. We were super psyched for Flash.

I'm pretty sure when they announce Stargirl I will give negative fucks about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phylodox posted:

There needs to be a Lance/West buddy cop crossover episode.

Concurred. And if it ever happens, Joe needs to instantly deduce that Ollie is the Arrow... and not tell Lance.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys, is it accurate to say Arrow is modern age, flash is bronze age? Not silly enough for silver, but not as loving grim as today?

Dude he ran around a tornado at super speed to combat it in episode 1.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's how the Flash solves all his problems, by running around them real fast.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I want Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I want Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.

Shut up, Johns will hear you.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
We're not at all to Smallville levels. As a guy that watched every episode and managed the thread on the show for the last few seasons, I can say that emphatically. People that followed the show might remember the Smallville Bingo I ran for the last four seasons of the show, and it's a sample of how bad things were around S7.

Barn Ending was a guarantee square pretty much every week. Smallville was also famous for having people abruptly turn and walk away from conversations, pause, and fire a pithy line as they fled the scene. I'll defend the show, but there's an entirely different level of schlock comic book camp that went on in Smallville.

I'm hoping that WB is more relaxed with their rules this time through. They kept tight controls over Smallville, and while you have to blame the early showrunners (who left in the last few seasons and the quality got better), they had some very strict requirements. Lois couldn't show any interest in reporting or being a reporter when first on screen or in a romance with Clark until later seasons; the use of the Superman symbol was restricted (and could never appear on his chest until the later bits). It looks like Warner Brothers isn't mucking around with this at all with Arrow and Flash (aside from not allowing the use of Ted Kord on Arrow)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry hasn't had the moment where he stops and realizes that he's the reason his mother is killed.

That will be a very Smallville episode.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
As someone who never saw beyond the first few episodes of Smallville despite owning the first season on DVD, was there any episode that hit every square on the board out of interest?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Aphrodite posted:

Barry hasn't had the moment where he stops and realizes that he's the reason his mother is killed.

I've been correcting him out loud each time it's brought up.

"Blah blah blah, the MAN in the lightning!"

You mean the MEN in the lightning, Barry. You were (or will be) there, too.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 31, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How long do you think it will take for the show to develop its own bingo tropes?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

hiddenriverninja posted:

How long do you think it will take for the show to develop its own bingo tropes?

When you can start predicting the flow of every episode because it fits the mold of everything that's gone before. I don't think Flash will fall into that - at least not any time soon. Arrow certainly hasn't, even though it has its own tropes already. Felicity hacks things as much or more than Chloe ever did on Smallville, but the way it's played is entirely different. When you get to the point where you roll your eyes because you know exactly what's coming next and you've had it played out over 150 episodes, it deserves Bingo. Smallville by the time the card came around had six or seven seasons where you could be sure that any handful of episodes would involve someone learning about Clark's secret only to have it undone by memory trauma or time travel; Clark whining about destiny and not ready to embrace it, a few nods to the future as Superman with bit character sprinkled through the season, and "we'll take my Toyota Yaris to Metropolis and figure this out" every third episode. Smallville couldn't embrace Superman fully, so they had to stretch it out, so you KNEW that Lex couldn't learn the secret and keep it and you knew Clark wasn't going to be wearing the red and blues and flying around, so each episode was basically an exercise in "how can we tease watchers into thinking this is a show about Superman and the resetting the status quo?" and those tropes were it - at least until new showrunners (who were original writers from the early seasons) took over in S8.

The Flash - we're getting a show ABOUT the Flash, and it looks like it's embracing everything that entails. Grodd, Cosmic Treadmill, men with guns of cold. In Smallville we'd be waiting until S4 for half that stuff.

That's a lot of words for "probably never"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mortanis posted:

The Flash - we're getting a show ABOUT the Flash, and it looks like it's embracing everything that entails. Grodd, Cosmic Treadmill, men with guns of cold. In Smallville we'd be waiting until S4 for half that stuff.

That's a lot of words for "probably never"

In Smallville when was the first villain from the comic book introduced? Lex does not count since in the early seasons he was more heroic than Clark.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

hiddenriverninja posted:

- Wells is sinister
- Metaphor about speed/time/running
- Joe West moistens eyes
- Wally looks longingly at Iris
- comic book reference(FREE SPACE)
- dumb name/codename
- Wally pisses off the captain
- character with rich history reduced to a villain of the week
- superhero show unapologetically embraces comic books

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes the rich history of "The Mist".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Yes the rich history of "The Mist".

Whoa, you just made yourself look like a fool in front of the Starman fans.

e: to be fair, I've never heard of Multiplex

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

bobkatt013 posted:

In Smallville when was the first villain from the comic book introduced? Lex does not count since in the early seasons he was more heroic than Clark.

There's an episode in the first season where Shawn Ashmore steals Clark's powers. That kinda makes him Parasite.

Other than that, ... season 4? I forget when the Mxyzptlk episode came in. He was a foreign exchange student or some bullshit.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Whoa, you just made yourself look like a fool in front of the Starman fans.

e: to be fair, I've never heard of Multiplex

Don't get me started on the knockoff Mr Freeze this week

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

I'm sure that there's plenty "Freak of the Week" people that showed up in the comics but they're not ones anyone would know without having Wikipedia handy.

A bastardized version of Mxyzptlk shows up in S4. It's name only, though, and not at all like the real character - even by Smallville standards.

The first "Name Brand" villain honestly would have been Season 5 with Brainiac. Jor El shows up as a disembodied voice and is kind of a dick in S2 and S3. Zod shows up shortly after, and then each season basically hits a major villain.

Edit:

Inkspot posted:

There's an episode in the first season where Shawn Ashmore steals Clark's powers. That kinda makes him Parasite.

That was done via a lightning strike. They even revisit that in a later season, and never touch on the fact that Jimmy Olsen looked identical. Probably an allusion to Parasite (who shows up in S9 I think it is), but just barely. They've done the lightning can shift Clark's powers in other media too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's to bad they couldn't do a proper adaptation of Starman, the Robinson version. That'd be cool as hell and we'd actually get the Justice Society. They should just say gently caress it and introduce Alan as the Green Lantern.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Guy Gardner is the only lantern I'm interested in seeing. I would love to see a sci-fi police procedural starring Guy Gardner and Kilowog or Sinestro.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I will cut you.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Knock off?!?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Guys, guys, chill!

Let cooler heads prevail.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Guys, guys, chill!

Let cooler heads prevail.

I am not going to put up with this burn.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tsob posted:

Guy Gardner is the only lantern I'm interested in seeing.

I'm only on board with this if it's mushroom cut Guy Gardner.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
And by "cooler heads", what I mean is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Veteran's Day Flash Episode involves Plastique and The General (Included: first look at Plastique)

Guessing that she's running from General because he became aware of her powers and will probably join Barry and co.

• Locked thread