Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Well, that escalated quickly. :stare:

Given this trend, Division 4 must be the Janitorial Services group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No kidding. poo poo went fully "Let's break out the frosty goat-blood" grim. Let's see if that :gibs:-count keeps going up. Also, is it just me or did THAT particular scene just screamed Urobuchi? Like, I know he's only script supervisor this time around, but that seemed the right amount of mean-spirited that I came to expect from the Old-School Urobuchi.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Basically he wanted to get people stressed because the way society under Sybil works the stress elimination (and the obsession with it to the point of being heavy on anti-stress/anti-depression medicine as a matter of course) kills their humanity, turns them into zombies. He keeps mentioning "eustress deficiency" - "eu-" as a prefix comes from Greek, meaning good - you know how we sometimes say "a little stress is good for you"? That notion is dead in Sybil's society, the concept is seen as an urban legend. So the only way to show those people how to be human again, how to be alive again is to make them experience stress.

Thanks, I had a clue it was related to the concept of stress but if could be justed based on my own conjecture but isn't mental illness dependant on the idea how the brain is lacking in some critical item leading to for example depression? (We can go into whether or not this is just some giant Pharma conspiracy elsewhere :v:)

However, extreme stress even for a little while is detrimental and the self-contradictory effect isn't what I'd call a epiphany to the clinic people as we can see. The best situation would be where people could manage their own stress levels over time.

Shimotsuki sticks to her character flaws but that's not surprising considering she is just a Jr Inspector and all. I can't bring myself to hate or even dislike her because so far she is just doing her job to the best of her ability.

BTW: I did notice some off-frame scenes during the fighting sequences too.

Alder fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 31, 2014

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Is there any story reason for the guns to cause people to explode?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
There was a very subtle thing but it is possible that Akane's grandmother is suffering from eustress disorder. Remember that from season 1 that Akane values her deeply.

There is also Ginoza warning Akane about getting too obsessed about the case. Which is a pretty good callback to season 1 and at the same time, very strange. She's pretty much unflappable although we don't know why her psycho-pass is like that at all. The only time when her criminal coefficient spiked was when she saw her good friend murdered in front of her, and that stabilized after a period of time. Maybe we will find out soon enough about her mental state.

If season 1 involves Akane finding her place and what she values, season 2 is where they are put to the test and see how far those values will take her.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

What I like so far is that the whole 'WC?' thing is being interpreted by Akane and crew as being about the psycho-pass, while Kamui means it as a question about everyone's humanity (we are all red on the inside). Very different questions with very different answers.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dante Logos posted:

There was a very subtle thing but it is possible that Akane's grandmother is suffering from eustress disorder. Remember that from season 1 that Akane values her deeply.

There is also Ginoza warning Akane about getting too obsessed about the case. Which is a pretty good callback to season 1 and at the same time, very strange. She's pretty much unflappable although we don't know why her psycho-pass is like that at all. The only time when her criminal coefficient spiked was when she saw her good friend murdered in front of her, and that stabilized after a period of time. Maybe we will find out soon enough about her mental state.

If season 1 involves Akane finding her place and what she values, season 2 is where they are put to the test and see how far those values will take her.

Hmm--sorry, I had forgotten about Akane's family life now that you mention it, I get a sense she has a distant relationship w/her parents. It's better than having the usual MYPARENTSAREDEAD! history for all MCs.

For example, I don't see any family photos or anything at her apt or anyone calling to check on her on weekends or ask about her job. We meet her HS friends but nothing about her own family.

IMHO Gino would calm down a bit because Akane knows what's she's doing considering everything in S1, mmk? Yes, I know, but she's not exactly asking for any advice from him.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I don't see Shimotsuki as redeemable. My hope is that as she seems to be crushing on Yayoi right now, that Yayoi acts completely disgusted with Shimotsuki as a person and totally rejects her.

My guess is that Shimotsuki will continue to act like a total idiot while Akane continues to do things in a unique and independent way. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons Akane is still alive is that Sibyl hopes to eventually add her brain to the fold one day as well.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Even if there's no plan to add Akane's to the brainplex, Sibyl probably sees Akane as an asset. If you are a system that is aware of its own nature and of the awfully strict dependencies the entire populace and police force has with you, then someone who is in the know and doesn't have to fear thinking outside the tiny box you've set up is incredibly useful, as a failsafe if nothing else. Probably would've been a different story if Akane didn't take the collaborationist route but since she's working with instead of against Sibyl that's just about the biggest win/win.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dan7el posted:

I don't see Shimotsuki as redeemable. My hope is that as she seems to be crushing on Yayoi right now, that Yayoi acts completely disgusted with Shimotsuki as a person and totally rejects her.

My guess is that Shimotsuki will continue to act like a total idiot while Akane continues to do things in a unique and independent way. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons Akane is still alive is that Sibyl hopes to eventually add her brain to the fold one day as well.

What? She's basically acting the same way Ginoza did, she just needs a good kick in the butt.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Even if there's no plan to add Akane's to the brainplex, Sibyl probably sees Akane as an asset.

Akane's definitely a major asset, if only because Sibyl needs someone who might actually disobey its orders when they know it's in society's (and, in Sibyl's twisted game, Sibyl's own) interests. Sibyl's trained an entire country of obedient citizens to give it total control, including people who can robotically plug away at civilians who have witnessed a breakdown in the system if necessary. But at least Akane can be the one to say that killing civilian witnesses is exactly what this season's villain wants.

The entire Psycho-Pass world is a really interesting metaphor for authoritarian or oligopolic political systems. In this case, Akane mirrors the dissenter/crusader who nevertheless, by never advocating for actually overthrowing the system (verboten!), only acts as a pressure valve to prevent the impetus for complete revolution. In Akane's case, it's because she really does believe in the the divine right of Sibyl, and that it's the best way to optimally manage society. Of course, for all we know the lives of people outside of Japan really are nasty, brutish, and short. But surely, Psycho-Pass argues, there must be a better way. Anything is better than this (i.e. :psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:). Right?

But what does that anything look like? This is Akane's real challenge: to see if she can transcend Sibyl but still do right by her morals, and develop something beyond Sibyl that still does right by society.

Frankly, it's entirely likely that she'll fail and it will take a villain and/or a critical mass of society revolting to actually unplug the drat thing. But that's the conflict within this season that I'm most interested in watching.

(FYI none of the above is really new, if you watched the end of last season the same conflict is there, and it's been there for some time. The most immediate real question is what the hell Akane and Shimotsuki are going to do with what they just saw.)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I actually think it'd be pretty rad if Akane called in a favor from Sibyl, based on her being one of very few people who know the truth about the system. She's probably already getting some favoritism, such as visiting and calling up the psychologist in prison, but I'd like to see her have a Dominator under her control or just the ability to really boss around the other divisions and get them to follow the assumptions she's making on the case.

Basically, the next time anyone is standing outside the murder and torture house with their thumb up their butt, she should be alerted immediately and be able to tell them to start blowing up some walls to get the hell in there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think its pretty clear 90% of her favouritism is already used up by "We're allowing you to live with this knowledge because we're generous."

Plus I don't think Akane is that type of person.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Of course, for all we know the lives of people outside of Japan really are nasty, brutish, and short. But surely, Psycho-Pass argues, there must be a better way. Anything is better than this (i.e. :psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:). Right?

Um, actually we don't have clue how life is overseas or even not in Japan. I don't recall where anyone talks about life outside the area other than Sybil controls everything inside the country.

It could be different in P-P Extended but I'm just going with the regular S1 to the best of my knowledge.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Alder posted:

Um, actually we don't have clue how life is overseas or even not in Japan. I don't recall where anyone talks about life outside the area other than Sybil controls everything inside the country.

It could be different in P-P Extended but I'm just going with the regular S1 to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, that's why he said "for all we know" and not "we know for sure". :confused:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If we're willing to take the New Edit scenes into account, Akane and Yayoi have that discussion about how Sibyl is just making itself look better in regards to the history of the world, so I'm entirely willing to bet that, while not everything in the world outside of Japan is peachy-keen, that juuuuuuuuuuust maybe the Sibyl system is trying to perpetuate its own rear end through BS and make the whole world worse than it might be.

I mean, if Ernie Ball (the Guitar strings Shinya teases with/promises Yayoi in that flashback episode) are still around, it means that, for example, not everything in the US has gone to poo poo. Unless they don't make them in SoCal anymore. :bahgawd:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

Yes, that's why he said "for all we know" and not "we know for sure". :confused:

And I said "to the best of my knowledge" :airquote:

Anyway, I'm all for learning what happened to the rest of the world too. Japan is cool and all.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

I mean, if Ernie Ball (the Guitar strings Shinya teases with/promises Yayoi in that flashback episode) are still around, it means that, for example, not everything in the US has gone to poo poo. Unless they don't make them in SoCal anymore. :bahgawd:
Or they're part of a dwindling stock of pre-isolation imports, and are far more precious as a result.

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.
So, since it's now been proven Kamui can "wake people" from eustress deficiency and Akane mentioned her grandmother can't move, so maybe we'll get to see some grandma Tsunemori vs Akane. I want this because I want to meet Akane's family.

Also I think there should be an awesome grandma in every show. V:v:V

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

Or they're part of a dwindling stock of pre-isolation imports, and are far more precious as a result.

I suddenly don't like a future where you can't buy a Slinky set for that sweet Tele sound on E-flat. :ohdear:

For real, though: If Sibyl touched Gotoh, I would probably go latent criminal all up in this bitch.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Wark Say posted:

Also, is it just me or did THAT particular scene just screamed Urobuchi? Like, I know he's only script supervisor this time around, but that seemed the right amount of mean-spirited that I came to expect from the Old-School Urobuchi.

It's possible his influence is still being felt in scenes like that, but if you're familiar at all with Tow Ubakata's Mardock Scramble, then you know that the bizarre, twisted, and incredibly violent are definitely not outside of his wheelhouse.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Great Rumbler posted:

It's possible his influence is still being felt in scenes like that, but if you're familiar at all with Tow Ubakata's Mardock Scramble, then you know that the bizarre, twisted, and incredibly violent are definitely not outside of his wheelhouse.

Yeah, I read the novels and I saw the movies, and I get that Ubukata is also into the "Ha ha! Made you eat your parents!" kind of almost childish mean-spiritedness that Urobuchi is sometimes known for, but I swear that the whole events that led to Aoyanagi getting thrown into a poo poo-shower right after having a chit-chat with Gino and getting herself killed made me remember that part of Fate/Zero with Angra Mainyu loving with Kiritsugu. Like, I know we're not supposed to say "Oh, poor widdle x and y" but holy crap that just felt like the biggest 'gently caress you' to that particular character.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Man I dunno what it is about this season but I really am put off my this show now. It just feels 'off'.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

korrandark posted:

I'm amused that this question went entirely unanswered.

The answer is :shrug:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

korrandark posted:

I don't know of any particular story reason, but I surmise that people explode because it's a sure-fire way to kill someone. There's no wounding of the victim. There's no way a person shot with at Dominater set to "death mode" can crawl away and heal. They can't pick up a knife and stab someone as they gasp their last breath, and finally, if you have someone charging you, and they explode before they get to you, it stops them but good.

Plus, it looks really, really gory and makes the whole Sibyl-is-wicked-to-the-core thing seem all the more likely.

Plus, technology.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I don't know of any particular story reason, but I surmise that people explode because it's a sure-fire way to kill someone. There's no wounding of the victim. There's no way a person shot with at Dominater set to "death mode" can crawl away and heal. They can't pick up a knife and stab someone as they gasp their last breath, and finally, if you have someone charging you, and they explode before they get to you, it stops them but good.

Plus, it looks really, really gory and makes the whole Sibyl-is-wicked-to-the-core thing seem all the more likely.

Plus, technology.

Except that one guy from the first season that only got his arm blown off and ran away - only to get blown up later, but still.

In all seriousness there has been zero explanation for the Dominators' grisly abilities. Most likely, there is no reason why except that it sells the brutality and wrong-ness of the police outright killing people on the street. Maybe someone on the staff just thought that would be cool, instead of having the Dominator just shoot boring, normal bullets.

e:

glomkettle posted:

The guy who got his arm blown off was also specifically noted to be on drugs that inhibited the dominaotr's function, unless I'm mixing up criminals from season 1.

I think you're right actually. That's probably why he wasn't outright killed.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 3, 2014

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

The guy who got his arm blown off was also specifically noted to be on drugs that inhibited the dominaotr's function, unless I'm mixing up criminals from season 1.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I'm amused that this question went entirely unanswered.

The answer is :shrug:

Likewise I have no idea.

Although, if the Dominators shot out lasers it could still be pretty awesome. It might get a little too Star Wars-like though with all the colorful beams going off in a gunfight. People would just fall over once shot but it'd save on cleaning time after crime scenes.

Hmm--am I the only person confused why everyone casually picks up bloody items leftover? :cop:

That can't be hygienic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

Likewise I have no idea.

Although, if the Dominators shot out lasers it could still be pretty awesome. It might get a little too Star Wars-like though with all the colorful beams going off in a gunfight. People would just fall over once shot but it'd save on cleaning time after crime scenes.

Hmm--am I the only person confused why everyone casually picks up bloody items leftover? :cop:

That can't be hygienic.

It's because they outsource that job to this poor janitor.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Alder posted:

That can't be hygienic.

Its just fruit punch!

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

glomkettle posted:

Well, more like he was drugged so that he could not feel pain. Like having your arm blown off kind of pain.

Also, I think it is either microwaves or nano-machines.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dominators don't actually fire anything, they just cause the microbombs that everyone has implanted inside them to explode. :tinfoil:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I like that's it's just a consistent thing that the weapon of choice for criminals are nail guns.

I really want to know how other jobs function in this world. I assume you can't replace all doctors with machines, but it's another high stress job. Are doctors just completely emotionally cut off from their patients? Are there enforcer doctors that tell the families when someone died?

The politician is a weird one since there's probably not a politician alive that could hope to have a clear psycho pass.

Even people like CEOs have to constantly be thinking in ways that may not be completely criminal, but would certainly be sneaky and manipulative.

Sibyl is either unwilling or unable to deliberately give someone an undeserved pass. Even when directly threatened by people with artificially clear passes, she couldn't allow the dominators to fire freely.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

I really want to know how other jobs function in this world. I assume you can't replace all doctors with machines, but it's another high stress job. Are doctors just completely emotionally cut off from their patients? Are there enforcer doctors that tell the families when someone died?

Don't think too much about it otherwise you'll notice the setting/world break down into plot holes :v:

I imagine everyone just take a lot of anti-stress medications to deal with it all on a daily basis.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Or we could go by the idea that you are judged more on how much of a threat you are to the system as well as it being a summation of your mental health. So a sneaky politician wouldn't be too negatively affected as long as his policies/ideas are good for sibyl. And so on.

Has anything in the show or from extra materials gone over the different states of psychopasses? Like colors or stages of clouding?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Sextro posted:

Or we could go by the idea that you are judged more on how much of a threat you are to the system as well as it being a summation of your mental health. So a sneaky politician wouldn't be too negatively affected as long as his policies/ideas are good for sibyl. And so on.

Has anything in the show or from extra materials gone over the different states of psychopasses? Like colors or stages of clouding?

It goes: clear, hazy, foggy, partly cloudy, partly sunny, overcast, cloudy.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@Tamba: Genius, it all makes sense now.

BTW: Their personalities are relatively similar too for anyone else who is not watching Gugure, the MC is very down to earth and rational for a kid.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
well the stuff in tougane's drawer and the face transplant stuff in the abandoned building seem awful coincidental... maybe there'll be some attempted face stealing directed towards akane. Also, the picture on his dresser kind of looks like him and the chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

absolem posted:

well the stuff in tougane's drawer and the face transplant stuff in the abandoned building seem awful coincidental... maybe there'll be some attempted face stealing directed towards akane. Also, the picture on his dresser kind of looks like him and the chief

He's a secret Akane fanboy confirmed :cop:

I'm sure that's his real mother or caretaker since he did mention he had living family members. I got the impression he was doing a BG check on Akane so he'd seem reliable and she'd trust him easier over time. Or it could be one giant red herring as it's out in the open on his desk and all.

I wonder who is skilled enough in face transplants in the world? IIRC it's a tricky surgery.

My top moments would be Yayoi patting Mika's head like a dog. IDK but the last time I tried this I got scolded for being disrespectful. I agree with the Chief thought how as a Inspector Mika isn't suited to her job

• Locked thread