Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So I'd say you guys are the experts, what was the difference that made Ghost so poo poo and its predecessors less poo poo? What did Ghosts change that broke everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CheeseFactory posted:

I could be immune to every single score streak in the entire game, decisions, decisions.

Assassin Pro from MW3 is back?

:smithicide:

Cab
Apr 23, 2003

Wazzit posted:

Really digging all the customization in the scorestreaks. The way they implement support streak modifiers is really smart. Ghosts had an extremely boring set of streaks, so seeing all this customization and variety is exciting. I was reading that you can have up to 3 modules on one streak? So on top of the 950 for a Paladin I need 300 additional for 105mm rounds? So something around 12 kills for a Future-130.

And it's 200 additional points for Wingman bringing it to 1450 or around 14 kills if I want someone else to leach kills off me so.... :frogout:

This won't last long. Twitter nerds will rage for a nerf so they can earn streaks. I can see all the posts now "I went 23-18 and I didn't get one assault streak... gently caress you!"

I like the new scorestreaks as well. Lets hope the nerds have no power this year.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

univbee posted:

So I'd say you guys are the experts, what was the difference that made Ghost so poo poo and its predecessors less poo poo? What did Ghosts change that broke everything?

Giant maps with no Ground War in past-gen, lackluster scorestreaks, nerfing C4 and shield because of the ~*~MLG community~*~

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Is this game going to be worth purchasing or is it just continuing the downward spiral?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Mister Macys posted:

Assassin Pro from MW3 is back?

Of course not. Blind Eye is Blind Eye.

Freaquency posted:

nerfing C4 and shield because of the ~*~MLG community~*~

I know some of you guys loved it, but when it comes to dominate the metagame, and you need to keep a specific build to combat it, it's appropriate to nerf it. Your mileage, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I am so concerned for the metagame. You don't even know.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
There's somebody who didn't suffer through those bullshit clan wars.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Merry Marauder posted:

I know some of you guys loved it, but when it comes to dominate the metagame, and you need to keep a specific build to combat it, it's appropriate to nerf it. Your mileage, etc.

It was the only kind of fun thing in an otherwise bland game; once they did away with it, what little luster had remained was gone. I get the need to keep the game balanced, but it's still an accurate answer to the question.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

GameStop left me a message and this is what I got with the transcript.

I got that too but I hung up. Does this mean we can pick up the game at 9pm Sunday or do we still have to wait til midnight?

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

stealth perks will always be the least fun and most powerful perks in a COD game unless they bring back stopping power

univbee posted:

Ghosts had awful maps that had tons of wasted space and were poorly laid out, slower movement speed, faster TTK, and the worst killstreaks in any COD game to date. C4 was overpowered and needed to be nerfed.

Defiant Sally posted:

Is this game going to be worth purchasing or is it just continuing the downward spiral?

it looks like a high-def PS1 game, it's being made by Sledgehammer who made MW3 which was absolutely godawful, and it's the 11th iteration of a series that's had all of two decent games. A&W's only hope is that it's passable enough that those of us who couldn't handle the unplayable connectivity of Blops 2 and quit Ghosts after a few weeks feel withdrawal strongly enough to play it past February

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

univbee posted:

A combo of big maps and over designed maps that just made traversing a mess and the TTK being so stupidly low, it felt like hardcore in every game mode, also while the big streaks can be a bit annoying, without them the game just felt boring.

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Defiant Sally posted:

It sure will!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

it's being made by Sledgehammer who made MW3 which was absolutely godawful

Here's why A&W could be different:

wikipedia posted:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was known to be in development after a legal dispute between Infinity Ward co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella and Activision resulted in the pair being fired from the company. Several dozen Infinity Ward employees followed West and Zampella as a result of the ongoing dispute, causing Activision to enlist the services of Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software to assist development of the title. The game was said to have been in development since only two weeks after the release of their previous game, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Also reported was that Sledgehammer was aiming for a "bug free" first outing in the Call of Duty franchise, and also set a goal for Metacritic review scores above 95 percent.[LOL]

So, to sum up, they were brought in to finish MW3 after disgruntled IW left. They were given less than a year to finish the entire game and make it bug-free.

Reasons why A&W will be pretty much like every other CoD:

Because Call of Duty.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
jfc the lies we tell ourselves. :suicide:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

modern warfare 3 was the one where you got to watch a young family get gassed in paris though

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Finster Dexter posted:

Here's why A&W could be different:

So, to sum up, they were brought in to finish MW3 after disgruntled IW left. They were given less than a year to finish the entire game and make it bug-free.

Reasons why A&W will be pretty much like every other CoD:

Because Call of Duty.

Sledgehammer were never the primary devs on MW3 either, they were basically brought in very late in production to attempt to shine the multiplayer portion of the turd that the at the time extremely turbulent Infinity Ward had shat out.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

ethanol posted:

modern warfare 3 was the one where you got to watch a young family get gassed in paris though

Uh, it had moabs. Not sure what you're referring to.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

ethanol posted:

that was in the UK not paris.

also, why was an american family running around the UK doing cutesy tourist stuff when their home country was invaded and in ruins?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Roman posted:

also, why was an american family running around the UK doing cutesy tourist stuff when their entire country was invaded and in ruins?

"gently caress you, I've got mine"? :wotwot:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dum Cumpster posted:

Uh, it had moabs. Not sure what you're referring to.

uuuuuhhhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQtbR7qxMlQ

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The joke being "lol you played the campaign"

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
COD campaigns own for a single playthrough before loading up MP forever. Dont try to dissect it you just have to go into full FEELS mode.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
If you didnt break down into tears assaulting the treasury building I just dont even know man.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

COD campaigns own for a single playthrough when MP is eventually down. Don't try to dissect it you just have to go into full FEELS mode.
Ftfy

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

enough with this campaign hate, there are only two kinds of people in this thread

those who preordered a bad game, and those who preordered two $100 copies while drunk

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Black ops was the worst poo poo, I don't even care if it had that bogan actor guy from rockingham doing his tough yank voice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:argh:

CoD's single player exists only so Lazyfire can make a Let's Play thread, and give history lessons.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Captain Matchbox posted:

Black ops was the worst poo poo, I don't even care if it had that bogan actor guy from rockingham doing his tough yank voice.

how I felt playing the black ops campaign

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

drat you for making me laugh in spite of myself.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Roman posted:

also, why was an american family running around the UK doing cutesy tourist stuff when their home country was invaded and in ruins?

I'd like to know how Russia managed to get a massive invasion fleet across the Atlantic without anybody noticing the buildup or the massive fleet sailing across the ocean and all the planes flying around. Now I remember, because everybody dropped all forms of detection except sattilite photos.

A SWELL DUDE
Feb 8, 2005

Another reason Ghosts was terrible: lovely game modes. No CTF, no Hardpoint (which had been a big hit in the previous installment), no Headquarters, and I don't think there was even Demolition. Blitz looked cool on paper, but it played horribly. Every game turned in to teams trading caps as fast as possible with virtually no defense played.

AW is bringing back CTF and HP, so it's already on the right track. Uplink looks like a ton of fun, and I don't think it will flop like Blitz since the ball mechanic draws the action to a central location at all times. And then Momentum should be solid. It's a formula that works great in TF2. If anything, it's like a more dynamic Domination (which needs to die already).

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I liked MW3 and like playing domination.
How hosed up in the head am I?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I have bought CoD games at full price and then pretty much only played the single-player. Its me, I'm the saddest person in this thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

1stGear posted:

I have bought CoD games at full price and then pretty much only played the single-player. Its me, I'm the saddest person in this thread.

Join us in multiplayer we shoot mans and chat about beer while drinking beer and crying ourselves to sleep knowing there won't be extinction for another year

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

1stGear posted:

I only played single player in CoD 4.

It was great.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Join us in multiplayer we shoot mans and chat about beer while drinking beer and crying ourselves to sleep knowing there won't be extinction for another year

I'm also a PC player.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm the retard that also does all the gamerscore challenges. Taking a photocopier to the face in Ghosts was kind of rewarding too.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

1stGear posted:

I'm also a PC player.

That's okay because there's dozens of us around.

Dozens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
Any word on if this will have split screen online multiplayer like BLOPS?

• Locked thread