Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

fart simpson posted:

Tell that to Hitler.

Hitler was the one who shot Hitler in the head. Game, set, and match tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

fart simpson posted:

Tell that to Hitler.

fart simpson posted:

hitler is dead

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Trying to add money to my Alipay account and I've run into this mystery password.

I set up a second password for high-security stuff when I created the account, but that field will only accept 6 characters, numbers only. Almost like... a bank pin. Alipay is seriously not asking me for my name, passport number, card number and PIN is it? Because seriously, gently caress that.

Did you link your account to a One time password token?

Alipay and other payment clearing houses are actually going to be approved as payment providers next year, so they are all increasing security to the same level as the banks. One of the requirements given to banks in china is to provide that second factor authentication (usb key or otp token). Alipay and others will soon need this too.

It's possible they linked one to your account, sent it to you, but you never received it.

Edit, either that or you found a phishing website. Check the HTTPS information and ensure the certificate is valid. You would never need your ATM password for an online transaction through alipay.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think I got stopped at the same part. There's literally zero indication of what it wants you to put in there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aero737 posted:

Did you link your account to a One time password token?

Alipay and other payment clearing houses are actually going to be approved as payment providers next year, so they are all increasing security to the same level as the banks. One of the requirements given to banks in china is to provide that second factor authentication (usb key or otp token). Alipay and others will soon need this too.

It's possible they linked one to your account, sent it to you, but you never received it.

Edit, either that or you found a phishing website. Check the HTTPS information and ensure the certificate is valid. You would never need your ATM password for an online transaction through alipay.

No I don't have any sort of token... do you mean a USB dongle or some other two-factor device? I don't have one. 付款交密码 sounds like they are referring to something specific, but it's also super generic so it's hard to know what they mean by that without them telling you. If I'd gotten some kind of text message with a code that would make sense. I also have no idea why there's a 免费获取 "get it for free" button there next to the password, or why it tells me the network can't connect right now when I press it trying to figure out what it does. I feel like I'm missing a critical piece of information but it's not in the commonly asked questions at the bottom of the page.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

When I registered, I had to provide my mobile phone number, which was used by the One Time Passwords.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Regarding scams, I kinda miss being a filthy backpacker. Reason is, I used to look so bad-news / scummy that even the most desperate scammers wouldn't touch me. I think I had a total of 4 attempts in 6 months of wandering around...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeoh posted:

When I registered, I had to provide my mobile phone number, which was used by the One Time Passwords.

I also received a number on my mobile phone when I registered, but I put it in as part of the registration process. I tried it on that screen and no luck.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I also received a number on my mobile phone when I registered, but I put it in as part of the registration process. I tried it on that screen and no luck.

The 免费获得 button should send a code to your phone. The error probably means something is hosed up and you can't 获得 that 效验码。

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 31, 2014

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

fart simpson posted:

Tell that to Hitler.

I'm open to hearing all advice; me, Adolf Hitler from World War 2 and Nazi.

Dolly Oblonskaya
Jun 3, 2013
Hi China Megathread!

I am going to be in Beijing for a five week language course in about a week from now (...and have perfectly timed it to be when APEC is happening :downs:).
I have been to China before and I didn't bother with a VPN, but it seems like they have been cracking down a lot more on the internet lately and I'd like to be able to use my email and facebook/instagram/etc while I'm there.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good VPN? One that I could use on my phone would probably be the best but I know absolutely nothing about VPNs so...

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

People seem to like Astrill but I've had a number of coworkers complain Astrill has been very sketchy, slow and unreliable lately. I think it and Panda Pow are probably the best for short term since they have 1 month/3 month plans that aren't exploitative.

With those two at least you just download a program, login with the credentials they give you and it works. On phones and tablets it gets a bit harder. I know Apple killed a lot of VPN apps so now you basically have to download or input the server info the VPN setting on your device. Android works pretty similarly.

They'll both work fine for youtube, gmail, facebook, dropbox, etc... There are free ones that might be alright if you just care about email and nothing else.

Stuff like Hulu is getting harder to use since those services are cracking down on out-of-country VPN users. I know at least half of Astrill's servers in the US can't access stuff like Hulu or Netflix these days. Don't know how big that'll be for you, though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Astrill has iOS and Android apps that configure everything for you in one button press.

Dolly Oblonskaya
Jun 3, 2013
Thanks! Yeah I'm from Australia so I'm used to being unable to access Hulu or Netflix haha. I'll check out Astrill and Pandapow.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Dolly Oblonskaya posted:

Hi China Megathread!

I am going to be in Beijing for a five week language course in about a week from now (...and have perfectly timed it to be when APEC is happening :downs:).
I have been to China before and I didn't bother with a VPN, but it seems like they have been cracking down a lot more on the internet lately and I'd like to be able to use my email and facebook/instagram/etc while I'm there.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good VPN? One that I could use on my phone would probably be the best but I know absolutely nothing about VPNs so...

Awesome, don't hang out with other English speakers, unless they are speaking Mandarin. Host VPN is 2 cents for first month so you can use that as a back up

Dolly Oblonskaya
Jun 3, 2013

caberham posted:

Awesome, don't hang out with other English speakers, unless they are speaking Mandarin. Host VPN is 2 cents for first month so you can use that as a back up

I'm staying with a host family so hopefully that will be good as far as immersion goes.

Last time I came to China was with my boyfriend, who is from Fujian, and we went to his hometown for Spring Festival...staying with his huge extended family and meeting all of his friends, none of whom speak any English, was definitely an immersive experience. The kind of experience I can only partly remember because of all the baijiu that was forced upon me :v:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dolly Oblonskaya posted:

I'm staying with a host family so hopefully that will be good as far as immersion goes.

Last time I came to China was with my boyfriend, who is from Fujian, and we went to his hometown for Spring Festival...staying with his huge extended family and meeting all of his friends, none of whom speak any English, was definitely an immersive experience. The kind of experience I can only partly remember because of all the baijiu that was forced upon me :v:

How receptive are they of homosexuality?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dolly Oblonskaya posted:

I was going to do the obligatory don't come to china post but it looks like I'm too late.

Dolly Oblonskaya
Jun 3, 2013

fart simpson posted:

How receptive are they of homosexuality?

That's a good question, but I wouldn't know (I'm a girl ;-*).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Dolly Oblonskaya posted:

Maybe your boyfriend is actually a girl

Dolly Oblonskaya
Jun 3, 2013
That would explain why he has less arm hair than I do.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dolly Oblonskaya posted:

Sorry, we have a thread rule to assume everyone is a guy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Sorry, we have a thread rule to assume everyone is a guy.
Kill yourself cishet scum.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

blinkyzero posted:

Not sure how common this actually is (I've heard people -- Westerners and Chinese alike -- say this kind of corruption is rampant, but I really dunno), but I suspect the cops would at the least be like, "Look, the easiest thing to do is just pay it, so why don't you do that?"

Last time I had a dispute with a tuktuk driver, me and my gf just walked over to a police golf buggy, and told them the guy wouldn't leave us alone. The policeman told the driver to bugger off, because it's technically illegal, and he couldn't be bothered to arrest him. We'd already paid a fair amount, just didn't want to be hassled by this guy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fart simpson posted:

Sorry, we have a thread rule to assume everyone is gay.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Arglebargle III posted:

Kill yourself cishet scum.

I know the teahouse scam but what's the cishet scam?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

simplefish posted:

I know the teahouse scam but what's the cishet scam?

AmeriKKKa

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Make it so, forums moderator GF.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Hong Kong sure is big. :captainpop:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That's what she said, hehe

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

Hong Kong sure is big. :captainpop:

It's probably the smallest and densest of China's major cities

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think you need the probably. It's a breeze to navigate and get around compared to the others I've been to. Density is wonderful.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I was amused at how poorly the maps I checked reflected the very... 3D nature of the city in HK.
Also, it hadn't taken me long to forget what traditional Olde Time British city planning looks like, with curly curvy roads and streets that change names every 50m and on some (but not all) bends.

Still, it was good to visit, and was a good way to get a slight taste of home (i.e.: London) without the cost of actually going there. I kinda assumed that Americans would shriek and burst into metaphorical flame when they first see it, but based on this thread, looks like not. :-)

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Atopian posted:

I kinda assumed that Americans would shriek and burst into metaphorical flame when they first see it, but based on this thread, looks like not. :-)

You're going to have to explain why you thought this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hong Kong is an absurdly well planned and easy to navigate city by Asian standards. Tokyo is the only city that's made me lose my poo poo about the tenth time I went into a subway station to find out that it was a different company than the ticket I had and also this wasn't the correct station, I needed to go to the other identically named one across the street that isn't connected and :argh:

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Hong Kong is an absurdly well planned and easy to navigate city by Asian standards. Tokyo is the only city that's made me lose my poo poo about the tenth time I went into a subway station to find out that it was a different company than the ticket I had and also this wasn't the correct station, I needed to go to the other identically named one across the street that isn't connected and :argh:

All the Chinese cities I lived in or visited were ordered in really sensible ways...except Hong Kong (which isn't surprising considering its colonial roots and the mountainous geography). I do remember thinking that Seoul was a bit of a clusterfuck, though. The line changes on the metro system seemed particularly stupid.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Hong Kong is a delight to the sense and a wonderful city to walk around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Chinese cities I've been to (all two) are too spread out. The blocks in Chengdu are enormous, all the newer areas are very badly designed for pedestrian traffic. They took all the worst parts of American urbanism and are building it as quickly as possible.

Korea's main issue is being resolved, namely that there are no street names and buildings are numbered in the order they were built rather than their location, so welp good loving luck finding an address! The renumbering is underway and I started seeing street names more regularly before I left. They also have the standard terrible Asian maps with no cardinal directions, randomly chosen north, and a completely abstracted street grid that doesn't reflect reality, rendering all maps useless.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Chinese cities I've been to (all two) are too spread out. The blocks in Chengdu are enormous, all the newer areas are very badly designed for pedestrian traffic. They took all the worst parts of American urbanism and are building it as quickly as possible.

Korea's main issue is being resolved, namely that there are no street names and buildings are numbered in the order they were built rather than their location, so welp good loving luck finding an address! The renumbering is underway and I started seeing street names more regularly before I left. They also have the standard terrible Asian maps with no cardinal directions, randomly chosen north, and a completely abstracted street grid that doesn't reflect reality, rendering all maps useless.

Oh sure the blocks are huge in most Chinese cities I've been to, but at least they're laid out sensibly on a map -- and considering the meteoric rise of automobile ownership in China, roads being altered to be a bit less pedestrian-friendly isn't surprising (does suck, though).

I suspect that Chinese cities get away with good grid patterns because most of them have been completely reworked and dragged kicking and screaming into modernity sometime in the last 100 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danse macabre
Oct 29, 2010
Anybody have recommendations for hotels in Chongqing? The mains things that I am looking for are convenient location and a nice bar to study in.

I am finding it hard to figure out the best part of the city to stay in.