Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
It can be cool to play this as a roguelike if you can accept that it can rarely mean instant, unavoidable death. Play on permadeath and just see how tricky it can be to stay alive for more than a day or two. You need to think entirely differently and a plunge into a dark pool is almost certain end game. I can guarantee that you will mine below your shack more closely than you ever did before, wanting to get every scrap of copper to make at least rudimentary armor.

Traps are death so you have to be prepared to carry a pressure plate to show up the wires. Something like a lucky early slime staff will make things easier but the great thing is that you have to make the best of everything you find. A dangerous trip to the outskirts of the jungle may net you an all important hook from the piranhas.

Don't expect to live long but it's an interesting take on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Devour or Fire posted:

I'm having trouble understanding why people get upset that they have to fight strong monsters to get items whose only purpose is to fight stronger monsters. Do you just want to stare at projectiles as you fire them into the open sky.
Some people enjoy fights that aren't 95% desperately trying not to get hit. Terraria boss fights are grinds, that's how it is. They're designed that way. Stuff like the potion cooldown only makes them more so.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Some people enjoy fights that aren't 95% desperately trying not to get hit. Terraria boss fights are grinds, that's how it is. They're designed that way. Stuff like the potion cooldown only makes them more so.

This might just be me, but if I have the choice between getting hit and dodging in a typical action game I'd choose to dodge 100% of the time.

You make it sound like dodging and attacking are mutually exclusive options. Do you have trouble tracking bosses with the cursor while holding down lmb if you are moving? Or are you stuck with the muscle memories from when you exploit parking your assistance on some meteorite to become functionally invincible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I just don't have the patience for it. I prefer the kind of playstyle where you just go in and win by virtue of killing everything else before it can kill you. Terraria doesn't really allow for that, what with the vast difference in health yet roughly equal damage output between bosses and you. The potion cooldown only makes fights even slower, which I think is tedious. Having to farm for new potions is enough of a negative consequence to that playstyle for me, it didn't need additional discouragement by making it mechanically impossible.

Also you're kind of a little bitch for going for the "lol play better" thing right away as if this was in any way personal.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wait what is mechanically impossible?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Facetanking while healing up with potions. The cooldown just makes it not an option.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Chugging potions is stupendously dumb as a game mechanic and impossible to balance and it is a good thing that it is dead.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Terraria is really served by playing friends, if you're going to kill/grind on the bosses. Building arenas take half as long, bosses die faster, etc.

Even with just one other person, running things out of hamachi and all that, it's a much better game this way.

I'd probably be angrier about the grind if I had to do it alone, but I don't. You shouldn't, either.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Also you're kind of a little bitch for going for the "lol play better" thing right away as if this was in any way personal.

C'mon friend, I'm trying not to but you're making it pretty difficult :kiddo:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

C'mon friend, I'm trying not to but you're making it pretty difficult :kiddo:
Hey, just because I can play well doesn't mean I have to want to. :colbert:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

hemophilia posted:

Terraria is really served by playing friends, if you're going to kill/grind on the bosses. Building arenas take half as long, bosses die faster, etc.

Even with just one other person, running things out of hamachi and all that, it's a much better game this way.

I'd probably be angrier about the grind if I had to do it alone, but I don't. You shouldn't, either.

Well WHOOP DE DOO look at Mister Popular over here ohh look at me everyone I'm Mister Popular I have friends that I can play video games with lah de dah aren't I just so very special. :mad:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Facetanking while healing up with potions. The cooldown just makes it not an option.

Well, that's because it's not really that hard to get potions, maybe? Without cooldown, you could just farm/buy a bazillion potions and be practically immortal. Rather than Terraria being too hard, it sounds like you just want to stand there laughing maniacally as bosses' attacks bounce harmlessly off your armor, then charge forward and utterly crush them in just a few hits with a big sword?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, that's because it's not really that hard to get potions, maybe? Without cooldown, you could just farm/buy a bazillion potions and be practically immortal. Rather than Terraria being too hard, it sounds like you just want to stand there laughing maniacally as bosses' attacks bounce harmlessly off your armor, then charge forward and utterly crush them in just a few hits with a big sword?

Do hardmode bosses kill you in 3 hits/seconds or less if you only have the second best armor for the job at the time? How many are sanely possible without flight and/or ranged? It already sounds like swords are out unless they shoot lasers.

EDIT: vvv Got it, one of these days I'll actually pay attention to the drat game long enough to even reach Hell, let alone Hard mode. So I've got a ways before I'm told "It's just a viddy game, you don't have to take it seriously" and "Get good" at the same time. Basically it's the tone of complete gameplay shift, over 'they also hit harder and have more health' (which is kind of expected for any bigger boss in a lot of games) really, that I'm wondering how I will take if/when I make it there someday.

I doubt I'd be stubborn enough to want to MELEE ONLY, NO WINGS :black101: I just wish ground bound stabbing with that cool magic sword of whatever you worked hard to make/luck out on the RNG didn't sound like it was just giving yourself more pain than reasonable, or even expected of you to succeed.

I will admit "3 hits to kill you with second best armor" was a dig at some "+1 normal enemies will kill you in 3 hits, instead of 7 hits with even tier armor" Dev notes elsewhere.

Double Edit: I'm assuming the people wishing Terraria was even harder "for fun" are like the people who played up the difficulty of a certain game I finally got around to beating during the summer. They are good at this viddy game but you are not so that means they are obviously cool and badass and hey let's add in this extra difficulty I know I could personally handle to keep that gap from closing any time soon if more people leave in frustration, less people will be as good as me.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 2, 2014

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Section Z posted:

Do hardmode bosses kill you in 3 hits/seconds or less if you only have the second best armor for the job at the time? How many are sanely possible without flight and/or ranged? It already sounds like swords are out unless they shoot lasers.

Luckily, by the time you make it into hard mode you've got several good opportunities to pick up melee weapons with spell-like effects that will make these bosses kill-able. I think that limiting yourself to not-flight is a big limitation though, because mobility is even more important to a melee character than it is to a ranged character or spell-user. You can grab a cheap pair of wings very early on in hard mode.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Section Z posted:

Not sure about the second best armour at the time, but the mech bosses vs like Addy/titan have enough damage output to kill you in 6-8 hits, if you've gone full tank and have 400 health, IIRC, while the best health potion will give you back a little less than a third of your health, but requires 45 seconds to a minute depending on whether you grinded mimics for a certain accessory or not. It becomes very easy to fall behind in the health race if you screw up even once or twice, and because the mech bosses have so much HP to cut through you have the oportunity to slip up many, many times in a single fight.

Melee vs the destroyer, if you've got a shelter from its lasers, is probably the best strategy for the first mech boss. Vs the other hardmode bosses? Very difficult.

And while the criticism and advice for fighting the hardmode stuff I see here consisting of 'git gud' is probably just being said ironically, it seems to be the actual main piece of advice given over in the terraria forums echochamber. Most people can't just suddenly get awesome at a game and be able to divide their attention between all the things that are dangerous in a bossfight, let alone rreact to everything on screen perfectly. But over there the assumption seems to be that if people would just man up they could instantly be able to take no damage while fighting Plantera in narrow underground caves, or something like that. The opinion over there during the great magic nerf patch was essentially 'you don't like magic being nerfed? Mages are babies, man up'.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Ashsaber posted:

And while the criticism and advice for fighting the hardmode stuff I see here consisting of 'git gud' is probably just being said ironically, it seems to be the actual main piece of advice given over in the terraria forums echochamber. Most people can't just suddenly get awesome at a game and be able to divide their attention between all the things that are dangerous in a bossfight, let alone rreact to everything on screen perfectly. But over there the assumption seems to be that if people would just man up they could instantly be able to take no damage while fighting Plantera in narrow underground caves, or something like that. The opinion over there during the great magic nerf patch was essentially 'you don't like magic being nerfed? Mages are babies, man up'.

I was on the suggestions forum the other day and one of the threads was about how to make the Terraria bosses more difficult and one of the suggestions someone made was that every time you beat a new boss for the first time, all lower-tier bosses should automatically scale up in HP and damage to the tier of the boss you just killed in order to make farming the earlier bosses more :airquote:fun:airquote:.

Terraria forum people are literally completely insane.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm definitely looking forward to expert mode, I hope it turns even the King Slime into some sort of laser-making GBS threads gel disco ball that starts off as big as the moon.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

EDIT: vvv Got it, one of these days I'll actually pay attention to the drat game long enough to even reach Hell, let alone Hard mode. So I've got a ways before I'm told "It's just a viddy game, you don't have to take it seriously" and "Get good" at the same time. Basically it's the tone of complete gameplay shift, over 'they also hit harder and have more health' (which is kind of expected for any bigger boss in a lot of games) really, that I'm wondering how I will take if/when I make it there someday.

I doubt I'd be stubborn enough to want to MELEE ONLY, NO WINGS :black101: I just wish ground bound stabbing with that cool magic sword of whatever you worked hard to make/luck out on the RNG didn't sound like it was just giving yourself more pain than reasonable, or even expected of you to succeed.

I will admit "3 hits to kill you with second best armor" was a dig at some "+1 normal enemies will kill you in 3 hits, instead of 7 hits with even tier armor" Dev notes elsewhere.

The thing about "second best armor for the job" is that there aren't that many sets of hardmode armor, and they're very strictly tiered. You know how hardmode picks are, where you start off with one that can only mine one or two metals, so you have to make a new pick out of that one metal you can mine, and that new pick can mine one more metal which you can make a pick out of in order to mine yet another metal, and so on and so forth, until you get all the way up to the top couple tiers of pickaxe and then you have a few choices? Hardmode armor works the same way - you pretty much have to follow the progression up until at least the hardmode dungeon, at which point things really start to diverge depending on which build you want to go with.

Melee isn't super mega bad or anything, I focused mainly on melee during my playthrough. It's just not something you can rely completely on since all of the bosses fly or jump high in some way, and also damage you if you touch them. It's fine to bring a sword, and even fine to rely on it as your main damage-dealer - but when the boss flies up into the sky and bombards you with poo poo, or you take a hit and need to pull back till potion cooldown ends, you'd better have a gun or staff or something to fall back on if you want to keep the damage coming. By hardmode, most of the fancy magic swords fire projectiles Master Sword-style anyway. I wouldn't suggest trying to play without wings, though. The extra mobility is a huge help; hell, I couldn't even beat Eye of Cthulhu without tossing up some wooden platforms in the air so I'd have an extra direction to use for dodging.

Besides, because there's such a huge gap between hardmode gear tiers, the later bosses really do need to get that bullshitty to be a threat. Turtle Armor is basically a guarantee that you'll never have to bother to actually fight a regular enemy ever again, Death Sickle shreds bosses, and if you get a key mold (given enough time running back and forth through the world, it'll happen eventually) then you don't even have to bother to aim - just hold down the mouse button and watch things die. I first fought Plantera shortly after the "lure Plantera up to the surface and chump him easily" thing was patched out, and once I learned not to try that, it turned out he was a huge pushover anyway! Just lured him to the nearest hellevator and flew up and down it shooting him with whatever magic projectile I had at the time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

You kind of have issues, dude.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A good example of Red hating fun is back when he made it so suicide spelunking in to the dungeon was no longer possible.

"Oh, you wanted to try rushing through and avoiding the guardian long enough to maybe reach a chest or two? Well gently caress you buddy, chests are locked now so :fuckoff: and grind some keys."

Making runs in to the dungeon and managing to reach a chest, finding a Muramasa inside? Made you feel like the loving king of the world and you didn't have to suffer hand cramps from manually clicking in a combat decision taken straight from the 1990s.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I see a lot of people gurgling about difficulty or hardmode bosses or whatever every day in this thread but Terraria is fantastic and it's developers are agile and make great stuff, if you want a legit bad game to complain about might I recommend the Starbound thread?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it doesn't matter if you're trying to make a joke or not, terraria's bosses/events are still lovely and grindy and it's basically a theme at this point

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

Well WHOOP DE DOO look at Mister Popular over here ohh look at me everyone I'm Mister Popular I have friends that I can play video games with lah de dah aren't I just so very special. :mad:

I'm starting over since my characters weren't saved when I uninstalled apparently, but I'll play terraria with you if you want :)

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I see a lot of people gurgling about difficulty or hardmode bosses or whatever every day in this thread but Terraria is fantastic and it's developers are agile and make great stuff, if you want a legit bad game to complain about might I recommend the Starbound thread?

What's wrong with Starbound? I haven't played in a while but it was perfectly serviceable last time I played it. Terraria in space.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 2, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it doesn't matter if you're trying to make a joke or not, terraria's bosses/events are still lovely and grindy and it's basically a theme at this point

I agree w/r/t the events, the bosses themselves are all pretty neat & good imo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They would probably still be improved by cutting their health by three quarters. Which is kind of amazing, considering that has literally already happened to each boss. Multiple times.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone on Windows 8 have trouble getting the mousewheel and any extra mouse buttons to work in game?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
People keep saying Red is "killing fun" by weeding out all the "pro level strategies and sequence breaks" but he hasn't gone out of his way to block the use of inventory editors, which is basically everything those people want (free items).

What's stopping you from just cheating in a sharknado with full summoner gear and strolling around normal mode single player, that sounds like the whole kit and caboodle for those people.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Besides all this, rather than outright cheese it you can always adjust it to your liking.

Candidly, I'm getting on a bit now and I'm not great at ghouls n' gaiden anymore (I never was either) but after previous playthroughs felt a little stymied by hitting what were - to me - these walls that malaise was cured by installing tAPI and a selection of Shockah's mods.

Didn't really need anything else other than that. I set it up so I started with four accessory slots, and with the mod that adds slots progressively (shopkeepers once found/recruited sell one-hit upgrades to add an accessory slot) I'm up to ten now, which feels nice and comfy for me both in ability to add lots of flexibility to my little wee man and to be able to forge more stats onto those accessories and make the bosses challenging but reasonable for the amount of effort I want to put in.

Coupled with the suffix mod (adds minor buffs of varying types to items, determined at item creation) and it's certainly flattened out the curve for me - it's a lot more easy mode than a lot of you would no doubt prefer as I can solo things now within reasonable limits (for me, this means being able to kill it within a few tries and being in danger of dying if I'm Bad At Videogames rather than running out of time because my peashooter is too drat small) instead of needing to gang up, but it gives you more personal choices.

Am I playing the game the way the gods intended? Nah. Am I having lots of fun in a game that still cheerfully kills me when it wants to, but no longer feels like I have to climb the One True Path to enjoy myself? Yeah.

This is probably old news to lots of you but if you haven't tried it you really should; it's very configurable, so you can choose which walls you'd like to mash your face against.

E: vvvv I'm in the same 'win with the stuff in the game' boat as you. If you have to jump outside the game to edit in something it takes the fun away. S'why I like the aforementioned mods so much for letting me set my own curve.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 2, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well, using allowed in-game methods isn't the same as inventory editing on a fundamental level. I was pretty annoyed at some of the changes that followed 1.2. Nothing I didn't get over but valid in-game strategies that got removed arbitrarily is not the same as outright cheating. Some parts of this game aren't in a great spot mechanically. Like I said in my last post, multiplayer is really good in this game and makes it a lot better if you have a world you can share with one or two other people, and this is how I shrug and get over some of Redigit's stupid changes, as his anti-fun nerfs to things and bullet sponge enemies matter less when you have a crew to slaughter them with.

It's okay to disagree with redigit, and since there's no apparent rhyme or reason to it beyond him just not liking something, he's managed to piss off plenty of people with his weird little nerfs to player choice when it comes to dealing with his spongey bosses.

I'm still excited for 1.3 and this is a new conversation for me, just saying that he's done annoying things and comparing those nerfed things to inventory and memory editing is insane.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

People keep saying Red is "killing fun" by weeding out all the "pro level strategies and sequence breaks" but he hasn't gone out of his way to block the use of inventory editors, which is basically everything those people want (free items).

What's stopping you from just cheating in a sharknado with full summoner gear and strolling around normal mode single player, that sounds like the whole kit and caboodle for those people.
Because it'd be nice if the game didn't just cater to the tastes of whatever minority of players is obsessed enough with Terraria to post their opinions wherever red is reading them. I mean, Christ, how old is this game? Three years? And there still isn't any kind of way to excavate poo poo easier than one tiny block at a time. Even getting that context sensitive cursor took years, and even then it only exists because the console version literally would be unplayable otherwise.

Just because you're having fun with the game as-is doesn't mean everybody else is objectively wrong or just sucks at playing.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ayy the faceless vocal minority that ruined the game finally got mentioned again, lmao.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I'm sure the crowd going "lol you suck you just wanna stand on a meteorite and be invincible" whenever someone suggests any changes they'd like to see has nothing at all to do with that.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I still think that removing all the tier skipping sucks. The worst offender is hardmode ore armour after they changed the way you make hallow items. Also the mushroom spear nerf which made soloing the start of hardmode bearable. And how you need to kill all three mech bosses before going to Plantera, despite the fact that Plantera was so strong that it would only seem natural. Same with all the invasion events.

Most of it seems like minor things you wouldn't notice, but it's fun to skip tiers because of the challenge and planning involved. Right now a brand new character can only skip from Start -> Demonite/Crimtane by breaking a pot with a bomb inside and getting the demolitionist to move in or do some serious dodging around the Queen Bee. It's hard to navigate the tunnels and not die to falling/monsters/your own bombs, but the reward is well worth it. So why can't a fresh hardmode character go toe to toe with Plantera and if he wins, horray, here's a good weapon for your efforts?

At least fishing still got my back. :coolfish:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Is there anything on the scale of Red Cloud that incorporates all the new stuff?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lmao at people seriously believing that potion spamming is even remotely close to a somewhat good design.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

A good example of Red hating fun is back when he made it so suicide spelunking in to the dungeon was no longer possible.

"Oh, you wanted to try rushing through and avoiding the guardian long enough to maybe reach a chest or two? Well gently caress you buddy, chests are locked now so :fuckoff: and grind some keys."

Making runs in to the dungeon and managing to reach a chest, finding a Muramasa inside? Made you feel like the loving king of the world and you didn't have to suffer hand cramps from manually clicking in a combat decision taken straight from the 1990s.

I don't see what the problem is with this? The whole point of the dungeon guardians is so people have to beat Skeletron before they can get all the cool awesome powerful dungeon loot. Kinda pointless if you can just slip in, marathon it to a couple of chests, die, and come back with post-Skeletron weapons that will make Skeletron a pushover. It was either slap locks on everything or seal the dungeon up the way the jungle temple is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Or don't.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't see what the problem is with this? The whole point of the dungeon guardians is so people have to beat Skeletron before they can get all the cool awesome powerful dungeon loot. Kinda pointless if you can just slip in, marathon it to a couple of chests, die, and come back with post-Skeletron weapons that will make Skeletron a pushover. It was either slap locks on everything or seal the dungeon up the way the jungle temple is.
Hia point is, just because there is an intended progression doesn't mean people are doing poo poo wrong just because they figure out a way to sequence break it. Who gains anything by preventing them from it? Playing a game is about having fun, not stiffly following a checklist someone else set down for you. Who gets hurt so much by people enjoying their high-risk dungeon delving that you need to ruin their fun because of it?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This might just be me but I don't think it's wrong for a game to have meaningful structure and progress just because it fall under the loose blanket of sandbox games. Lots of single player games have linear progression and a solid set of rules you have to abide by, why can't Terraria have it too besides the fact that it looks like 2D minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nothing wrong with that, it just seems weird and kind of arrogant to me that someone would rather ruin people's fun than let them do stuff in the wrong order. Like it's more important that they do it your way. I mean, why would anyone care so much?

• Locked thread