Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Holy poo poo, I didn't believe you, and had to look that story up. Tearing out and cooking your friend's heart is pretty loving metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

m-o-o-n posted:

Corpsegrinder's monotone bark is super tiring to listen to and they love having him loud as gently caress in the mix

I'm a few pages late for Cannibal Corpse chat but this is exactly my experience seeing them live a couple years ago. He sings every song exactly the same and is way louder than the rest of the band.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Since it's the spookiest time of year, it really puts me in the mood for Acid Witch and Crypticus. Death metal with keyboards is pretty sweet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcwidhyzTt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-v1eBNJWPo

I also love that both bands have a member that just goes off and records 80's keyboard horror music on their own. Anyone else listen to any certain bands to get into the Halloween spirit?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Since it's the spookiest time of year, it really puts me in the mood for Acid Witch and Crypticus. Death metal with keyboards is pretty sweet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcwidhyzTt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-v1eBNJWPo

I also love that both bands have a member that just goes off and records 80's keyboard horror music on their own. Anyone else listen to any certain bands to get into the Halloween spirit?

Death SS are a must: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzSxzttdGc

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I missed the Deicide chat a couple pages back but I'd take their self-titled over Legion in a heartbeat.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
What other bad decisions have you made in your life? The forum must know.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Turk February posted:

What other bad decisions have you made in your life? The forum must know.

I really liked iron maiden for a while in high school (8 years ago, not 30 years ago).

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Iron Maiden is never a bad decision. (and for the record I did like them 30 years ago)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

At the job I had in college they let me put Iron Maiden on the stereo while I made pizza.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

what's not to like about Iron Maiden?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Varg posted:

what's not to like about Iron Maiden?

Anything after Seventh Son.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Uh brave new world and dance of death own, sorry

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
X-Factor is probably my favourite Iron Maiden album.

If it had been mastered properly I'm sure more people would like it. Since it's good and all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gils posted:

I just wish someone had written Bruce Dickinson's lyrics for him so we could get choruses with some variation instead of him singing the two- or three-word title of the song over and over while a sound engineer cranks up the volume on the vocals

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Misogynist posted:

I just wish someone had written Bruce Dickinson's lyrics for him so we could get choruses with some variation instead of him singing the two- or three-word title of the song over and over while a sound engineer cranks up the volume on the vocals

Sounds like he went to the Anvil school of music lyrics.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dream of Mirrors is a fun song where he somehow managed to not just repeat the title for half of it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

He just repeats a random line instead. That whole "I only dream in black and white..." part goes on forever just like the rest of the choruses on that album.

It is a pretty cool song though.

Edit: Also, Paschendale is the best post-7th Son Maiden song.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Misogynist posted:

I honestly never realized that outside of Alexander the Great (which is an awful chorus) but now that you mention it...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

He just repeats a random line instead. That whole "I only dream in black and white..." part goes on forever just like the rest of the choruses on that album.

It is a pretty cool song though.

Edit: Also, Paschendale is the best post-7th Son Maiden song.

Somehow I always forget that part exists and only remember the fast part that should have been the whole song.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

MrBling posted:

X-Factor is probably my favourite Iron Maiden album.

If it had been mastered properly I'm sure more people would like it. Since it's good and all.

*kisses fingers*

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gils posted:

Hulk Krogan posted:

Also, Paschendale is the best post-7th Son Maiden song.
I am very pleased to read such exemplary and correct opinions in this topic. :)

Personally I'd say Dance of Death is probably my favourite Maiden album of all. So many excellent songs, and Paschendale and the title track are just magnificent. The latter even barely has any repeated lines at all!
Also, X Factor is a good album too. Blaze is a good vocalist, it's just that trying to fill Bruce's boots is such an ungrateful task.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 2, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Speaking of bands everyone's known about forever, I've had this goddamn song stuck in my head for days so now you guys get to deal with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgGm36icTU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
good song

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I always thought Iron Maiden was one of those bands that most - if not all - fans of metal like, or at least, appreciate.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Durendal posted:

I always thought Iron Maiden was one of those bands that most - if not all - fans of metal like, or at least, appreciate.

They were considered the nu metal of the early 80s for a long time and then Bruce came back about the time people stopped pretending they weren't rocking out to Seventh Son.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

wiz crack posted:

hey man! I'm actually the drummer from NeO and stumbled on this. I worked extremely hard for years to be able to execute the stuff on this record. Yes it's edited like any record, but for the most part it's very natural, and if you happen to come to a live show (please do and come say whats up) I try to be really accurate with the records execution.

Stoked to see there's heaps of guys digging it, made my day seeing sa guys into NeO!

I saw you guys had a new album out and was all gently caress YEAH and so far it has not disappointed. Weird metal is the best metal.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Spanish Manlove posted:

Anything after Seventh Son.

The best Iron Maiden albums are Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding

That's right I said it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Weird metal is the best metal.

:confused:
What exactly is weird about NeO? Is it the incorporation of violin? Because I can think of lots of metal bands that use violin, it's not a particularly odd choice.

They're pretty eclectic, but not all that weird in terms of melodic sensibility, if you compare them to the really out-there stuff like Demilich or Liers in Wait or what have you.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Wayne Static is dead.

The dude was 48.. I'll let that sink in.

https://madmimi.com/p/56cc75/preview

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's really tragic considering his age, but every article about it requires me to look at a picture of Wayne Static and I have a lot of trouble taking it seriously.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's really tragic considering his age, but every article about it requires me to look at a picture of Wayne Static and I have a lot of trouble taking it seriously.

I wonder if he electrocuted himself or if his hair finally caught fire.

... Probably Drugs

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Welp, guess the concert he was supposed to do with Powermann 5000 and American Head Charge will be cancelled. :(

Poor guy.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Man I loved Static X when I was in grade 9 or 10. Wisconsin Death Trip was pretty much my gateway metal tape.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

They were considered the nu metal of the early 80s for a long time and then Bruce came back about the time people stopped pretending they weren't rocking out to Seventh Son.

Is this legit? First I've ever heard of it, although I wasn't around in the early 80s. How many of all our favorite bands from the 80's onwards are pictured in the album liner/on tour/promo pics etc wearing Maiden shirts?

Also I'd say the only not so good Maiden album is Virtual XI. No Prayer, Fear Of The Dark and The X-Factor are all fine.

Edit - Ok the last couple are nothing special either.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I really should have stuck an almost in there and really you could just about say the opposite. If you were already into metal you probably liked them, if not you either never heard of them or hated them.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ms. Happiness posted:

Welp, guess the concert he was supposed to do with Powermann 5000 and American Head Charge will be cancelled. :(

Poor guy.

When the gently caress did AHC get back together? This isn't the weirdest Static X news but it is the saddest.

Also hi Ms. Happiness!

TheEldar
Oct 24, 2010
Holy Terror - Anyone heard of them? Obscure little thrash band with a melodic edge to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJDEbNQlso

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

TheEldar posted:

Holy Terror - Anyone heard of them? Obscure little thrash band with a melodic edge to it:

Yeah they were cool

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember Static-X had that one song about eating poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
15 year old me is bummed, current me is still kinda bummed, but drugs will do that. He looked like poo poo recently.