Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
Kvlt
http://youtu.be/M5eXAfQUTG8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Bolt Thrower own so hard. The show they put on yesterday in Leeds was bloody amazing. Everyone was so into it as well, definitely had a very enthusiastic hug from a teary eyed stranger, and at the end of the show I enthused with a few random people about how good it was. It was my first time seeing them, and if I can ever see them again, I'll definitely be there.

Cannibal Corpse were also on the bill, they were ok, but the room was packed and I couldn't really see, so I left to get a good spot for Bolt Thrower. Definitely the right decision.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Gojira live last night holy gently caress :stare: so amazing. Sucks they only got a 45 min set. Kvelertak was fun, and Mastodon was better than expected. I need to get some legit live music specific earplugs though. I hate listening with normal ones and i don't think I should be standing in front of walls of speakers anymore without them

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gamma Nerd posted:

:confused:
What exactly is weird about NeO? Is it the incorporation of violin? Because I can think of lots of metal bands that use violin, it's not a particularly odd choice.

They're pretty eclectic, but not all that weird in terms of melodic sensibility, if you compare them to the really out-there stuff like Demilich or Liers in Wait or what have you.

Well, they're eclectic and they don't quite fit into any one category, and that's what I like about them.

But yeah, they're not way-the-gently caress-out-there like Demilich.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Varg posted:

Gojira live last night holy gently caress :stare: so amazing. Sucks they only got a 45 min set. Kvelertak was fun, and Mastodon was better than expected. I need to get some legit live music specific earplugs though. I hate listening with normal ones and i don't think I should be standing in front of walls of speakers anymore without them

I dunno, maybe I hit an off night but I saw Mastodon on the Crack the Skye tour and was bored as gently caress. I seriously ended up at a Christian metal show headlined by Demonhunter and War of Ages like a week later and was way more entertained.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Varg posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0044DEESS?cache=8a210f99f6020aaa007b10241cdb83ec&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1414937848&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

TheEldar posted:

Holy Terror - Anyone heard of them? Obscure little thrash band with a melodic edge to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJDEbNQlso

Holy Terror is great, there's hardly a vocalist in metal like that anymore.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Varg posted:

I was at this show last night too! I had a loving blast, easily one of the best shows I've ever been to. I've seen Gojira once before many years ago and absolutely loved them this time around, they are definitely on my can't miss list. I just hope they headline next time they come around because 45 minutes was not nearly enough. They loving crush and I can't believe how tight they sound, they don't miss a note.

I've never been a Mastodon fan but I absolutely loved them live. I'd never heard "Black Tongue" before last night...holy gently caress imagine hearing that song for the first time in your life live. I'm a fan now.

Great crowd too, much better than what I was used to when I went to metalcore shows in my youth :x

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I was listening to bad '80s montage music all weekend and ran across John Parr's "It's Starting All Over Again":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsSq56YaGA

I'm amazed how much Dan Swano's Nightingale project sounds like this bullshit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fruition posted:

I've never been a Mastodon fan but I absolutely loved them live. I'd never heard "Black Tongue" before last night...holy gently caress imagine hearing that song for the first time in your life live. I'm a fan now.
The opener of their worst album? I'd much rather imagine hearing anything from Leviathan for the first time live.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I wish I could hear Blood and Thunder for the first time again. gently caress that gets me amped up

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Henchman of Santa posted:

The opener of their worst album? I'd much rather imagine hearing anything from Leviathan for the first time live.

It may be their worst album, but that song is loving awesome.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's a good song but in the pantheon of awesome Mastodon songs, it's not that high.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
not sure if this an appropriate place to share this, but I put together a bunch of people to play through the Best Death Metal Album Ever, None So Vile by Cryptopsy for Halloween. it was really hard but we got most of it done. here it is. I wish Cryptopsy was still putting stuff like this out (although I do love their latest album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwE97D1Y4aA&list=PLGDOCvZrO5rAfAbJXyBi1gMBh8CDzYQqH

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Well, they're eclectic and they don't quite fit into any one category, and that's what I like about them.

But yeah, they're not way-the-gently caress-out-there like Demilich.

Fair enough! I can't think of many metal bands that incorporate flamenco like they do (aside from this Windham Hell song, which reminds me a ton of NeO's quiet bits), they certainly are unique in that aspect. I think you could categorize them as prog black metal for the most part though, like Cormorant, Kathaarsys, Mirrorthrone, and some earlier Opeth stuff.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'm going to see Opeth this week; still not sure what to expect since I didn't really listen to their latest material.

I'll also interview Fredrik Akesson, their guitar player. Sadly Mikael wasn't available. If anybody wants to ask something, let me know

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Looks like they're playing a good mix of stuff according to Setlist.fm. I'm sorry that you'll have to sit through In Flames.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Looks like they're playing a good mix of stuff according to Setlist.fm. I'm sorry that you'll have to sit through In Flames.

In Flames will only be with them during their North American tour. Here in Europe it'll be Alcest.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I can't stop listening to the new Electric Wizard. It's so loving good.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Omnikin posted:

I wish I could hear Blood and Thunder for the first time again. gently caress that gets me amped up

Yeah they closed with Blood and Thunder and it was awesome. All their poo poo was awesome but I think my fifth beer had hit at just the right moment before Black Tongue and I went into that perfect buzzed state. Keep in mind it was my first time really listening to Mastodon, I'm still ignorant to the nuances of their vast discography, and a live experience is much different than listening with headphones while sitting at your computer gaming/working.

I'm noob status when it comes to metal but I'm trying to get back into it after a 5-year hiatus, I've missed a lot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Non Serviam posted:

In Flames will only be with them during their North American tour. Here in Europe it'll be Alcest.

Just leave after Alcest.

Their new album is so goddamn good (not even metal, just shoegaze but im sure they'll play some of the older catalogue).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

I wonder if he electrocuted himself or if his hair finally caught fire.

... Probably Drugs

tehsid posted:

15 year old me is bummed, current me is still kinda bummed, but drugs will do that. He looked like poo poo recently.
Static's publicist put out a press release claiming that he died in his sleep and that he hadn't touched hard drugs since 2009.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Speaking of 15 years old, you guys listen to the new Slipknot Knot Album? Pretty brutal.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 3, 2014

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So here's some really cool thrash metal.

https://mortiviventiuk.bandcamp.com/

Balagan
Aug 13, 2007
Anyone here seen Anaal Nathrakh live? If so how are they?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

fruition posted:

Yeah they closed with Blood and Thunder and it was awesome. All their poo poo was awesome but I think my fifth beer had hit at just the right moment before Black Tongue and I went into that perfect buzzed state. Keep in mind it was my first time really listening to Mastodon, I'm still ignorant to the nuances of their vast discography, and a live experience is much different than listening with headphones while sitting at your computer gaming/working.

I'm noob status when it comes to metal but I'm trying to get back into it after a 5-year hiatus, I've missed a lot.
I thought it was cool it seemed like they played like half the new album, all of the new stuff sounded great live. I was never really a huge fan before this show, and when I saw them once live years ago open for Slayer they didn't really do much for me.. but that could have been because I was in the seats in an arena. Being up close with a great crowd makes all the difference I think. Their drummer impressed me a lot too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

To Battle posted:

Speaking of 15 years old, you guys listen to the new Slipknot Knot Album? Pretty brutal.

Truely, people really do=poo poo.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Balagan posted:

Anyone here seen Anaal Nathrakh live? If so how are they?

They're pretty good live. They play with a full band.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
So Church of Misery is down to just the 1 original member after the others all split.

From their Facebook page:
At the end of September, Hideki Fukasawa (Vo, Syn) left the band.
And then, "JJ" Junji Narita (Dr) and Ikuma Kawabe (G) left the band also.

Then the remaining member posted this:
Hi! Thanks for your kind words. Don't worry guys, Church of Misery NEVER gonna stop. I NEVER give up this band. As you know well, I wrote all songs & lyrics of Church of Misery. I already have new many materials for next album. Hopefully, we will enter the studio when we got new guys. Next year, you can hear our new album and play in your country ( Europe, America etc ) again! I swear!

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 4, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When he says "songwriter" does he include the riffs? Because that's what matters with Church of Misery. I'm not really worried about their consistency in writing about serial killers.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

When he says "songwriter" does he include the riffs? Because that's what matters with Church of Misery. I'm not really worried about their consistency in writing about serial killers.

He says songs and lyrics so presumably.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

The Kins posted:

Static's publicist put out a press release claiming that he died in his sleep and that he hadn't touched hard drugs since 2009.

This is hilarious. As soon as the dude died "famous" people were already going to social media to talk about how terrible drugs are and how many of their friends were taken by drugs, etc.

Way to stand up for your friends

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

The Kins posted:

I'm glad it wasn't drugs. Shame he's dead, still.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wow, just announced for my city was this insanely awesome line up in February.

NAPALM DEATH
VOIVOD
EXHUMED
IRON REAGAN
black crown initiate

Not sure on the rest of the tour dates yet.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Vintersorg posted:

Not sure on the rest of the tour dates yet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Whaaat did In Flames get bad? I haven't heard anything recent from them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shoehead posted:

:lol:

Oh to be so innocent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Like a decade ago, and they weren't all that great to begin with.

Holy poo poo. AND Ringworm? That's way better than the big Decibel Magazine tour.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Like a decade ago, and they weren't all that great to begin with.

Everything up to and including Clayman is excellent, the rest of it is debatable but mostly poo poo. STYE and Come Clarity were okay I guess and RtR had a handful of good songs but most of their recent output has been in my listen once and never again territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

Everything up to and including Clayman is excellent, the rest of it is debatable but mostly poo poo. STYE and Come Clarity were okay I guess and RtR had a handful of good songs but most of their recent output has been in my listen once and never again territory.

I just never really liked most Gothenburg style bands (he said as he pressed play on the new At the Gates album :ironicat:), but yeah I can recognize that their classic period is miles ahead of now, where they sound like Evanescence with harsh vocals.