Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Lets Pickle posted:

Also I know it's unlikely but I hope Sarkhan pulls a Fry and kills his own ancestor/becomes his own ancestor.
If the whole time travel dickery fucks with Sarkhans birth, he might die. Neat way to go out.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ramos posted:

I don't know about you guys, but considering Magic's history, I'm going to be personally amazed if this doesn't end up with Tarkir becoming a shittier place because dragons are assholes.

Tarkir is already a pretty lovely place to be. I'm guessing it's going to just be lovely-with-dragons.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

I don't know about you guys, but considering Magic's history, I'm going to be personally amazed if this doesn't end up with Tarkir becoming a shittier place because dragons are assholes.

The art makes it look like the dragons are leading the clans into battle, personally.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So set 2 has past khans, and set 3 has dragonshifted khans?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Spiderdrake posted:

So set 2 has past khans, and set 3 has dragonshifted khans?

I'm betting we get a legendary Dragon cycle of Khans, not shifted versions of the ones we have.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I had an idea that it might be the current second in commands or whatevers as the new khans. The other characters that are singled out in the planeswalker's guide, I mean.
E: Wait no, the planeswalker's guide doesn't mention anyone but Narset for Jeskai characters, so probably not.

is that good fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 2, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I hope fateseal comes up in the next set. I mean, they brought back Morph and freaking Delve.

Anti Scry in the same standard as Scry-proper sounds like a great idea.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 2, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

While it does potentially sound amusing, I think it just clashes (on top of Fateseal generally being a bad idea). Fateseal would make scrying much less effective, even irrelevant depending on the amount of Fateseal that goes around.

Additionally, what Fateseal does is basically give you a shot to make things that make the game more interesting go away, whereas Scry works to give you your tools to continue to play the game out. This is different from counterspells and removal in that it only sometimes works and doesn't actively answer complications, it only sometimes removes complications and so just makes things less exciting to play and watch in general.

Compare, "He's going to land a rhino on the battlefield. Does the other guy have something to do about it?" vs "Something went to the bottom of the deck. It might have been a rhino."

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zorak posted:

Tarkir is already a pretty lovely place to be. I'm guessing it's going to just be lovely-with-dragons.
Yeah. It's going to be a new and different kind of lovely. Honestly expecting the third set to be more or less a dragonshifted version of the third set. Dragons with former khans as their new lieutenants maybe? So Surrak Dragonclaw is now Surrak Bearfist and gives your dragons protection from bears. Anafenza the Foremost is now Anafenza the Secondary and gives your soldiers Bands with other Soldiers as long as you control a Dragon.

EDIT: The clan Dragons are monocolored and in Fate Reforged. Dragons of Tarkir will just have more other dragons.

That way you get the core dragons in both the FRF/KTK/KTK and the DTK/DTK/FRF set.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 2, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fateseal is the feelbad sort of mechanic Wizads have shied away for a while now. No one likes being manscrewed/flooded.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fateseal 1 is probably pretty safe to print at some point, but not as a blue mechanic (and if they can't get over the idea it shouldn't be blue, it shouldn't be printed) and not alongside scry/fetches since you're already likely approaching the limit of what WoTC considers the limits of deck stroking time in a match. So I don't think we'll see it any time soon, though I would be kinda hyped if they did since its a neat mechanic I wish my cube had uh, like, any examples of.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Fateseal is a completely unfun mechanic and it's never coming back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Could this be the time for a new Nicol Bolas card? Fate is a small set so probably won't have two Planeswalkers, and Ugin seems sure to happen, but it seems the environment and story allows for it in principle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Fateseal is never going to happen. It's one of those mechanics that is either completely degenerate and horrible to play against, or so overcosted that it's unplayable. There's zero middle ground where it's actually a worthwhile mechanic to have.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Jace TMS's +2 is identical to Fateseal 1, and we all know how that card worked out.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Didn't Humphries and Boettcher already bring back Fateseal to great success?

jassi007 posted:

I got a consolation prize for sticking it out though, one of those neat mox playmats.

Stores that give out consolation prizes are the best. At one of the KtK prereleases at my LGS they figured who was the lowest ranked player that played out every game and gave her a full box of Khans. It was a pretty :3: moment, especially since nobody got salty that she got the same prize as the guy who came in first.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, I think Maro said Fateseal is like a 9 or 10 on the Storm scale. It's never coming back.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Yeah, the big problem with fateseal as a set mechanic is that for something to actually work as a set mechanic, you have to have a certain amount of it in the set or it's just not going to feel like it defines the set in any meaningful way. But fateseal is a mechanic that gets really, really obnoxious above a certain (and very low) threshold, especially if you go above fateseal 1. Having just one or two cards in a set with the ability means keywording it is pointless, and putting in enough to where keywording it makes sense means you're creating the most unfun environment ever where no one ever draws anything they want.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think the closest we'll get to fateseal is something like Dakra Mystic where you have to pick for both players linked together (both up or both down) simultaneously.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Containment Priest is 15 on SCG. Jesus. :stare:

Daretti is 20. What.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 2, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Doesn't SCG just set arbitrary prices to see who bites at what price? Those two don't have any copies listed at any price on TCG so the "free market" hasn't settled on a price yet.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Skimmed Twitter for a few more things to come out of PAXAUS, if you prefer to use this thread for your news:

Putting the entirety of land cycles into a block isn't the strict policy people have taken it for after MaRo mentioned it. Non-committal (as he had to be, mind) about the chances of the Zendikar fetches returning sometime in the rest of Tarkir block. The rest of the pain lands are not coming in Tarkir black. (Well, duh. I guess the point is that they're not coming even as renamed reprints. Or maybe not, because Twitter isn't a substitute for me actually seeing this panel.)

They think they've solved rules issues around a colourless basic land and understand players want it. Tweeters are bad at reporting, but Forsythe might have hinted at it coming in a supplemental? Reading between the lines of MaRo's comment about this on his blog, I suspect it wouldn't use a whole new basic type - some condition to make your colourless basic Forest produce G?

They're happy with Standard Ascendancy and think this level of combo in the format is fine and healthy. Later sets in block may have some impact on it (positive? negative?) Modern Ascendancy needs looking at, however. Collecting data. Reiterated that they don't test Eternal because they don't think it's the most efficient use of resources, and the ban list is there if they need to fix something unintended happening.

Four colour commander decks are being very seriously looked at, but all the reasons they and MaRo have given us about four colour decks being hard to make still apply.

Something out of Lorwyn might return. All signs point to that something being a planeswalker. Throwing people a bone like Tamiyo and Kamigawa, I guess.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boco_T posted:

Doesn't SCG just set arbitrary prices to see who bites at what price? Those two don't have any copies listed at any price on TCG so the "free market" hasn't settled on a price yet.

That's fair, I'm just concerned why they think Daretti is worth more than Nahiri or Teferi.

It's weird is all.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Surrak, Husband to Dragons
Anafenza, Mother of Dragons

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Zurgo Dragonsmasher

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

If Zurgo's not riding a dragon that's going to be a huge missed opportunity.

Also Fateseal is monstrously unfun. It's never coming back.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

That's fair, I'm just concerned why they think Daretti is worth more than Nahiri or Teferi.
Because they believe that more people will want Daretti than those two, other walkers.

Total up the red deck's prices and then remember WotC claimed supply would be much more in line with early demand. Its a little silly.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

BXCX posted:

Stores that give out consolation prizes are the best. At one of the KtK prereleases at my LGS they figured who was the lowest ranked player that played out every game and gave her a full box of Khans. It was a pretty :3: moment, especially since nobody got salty that she got the same prize as the guy who came in first.

My LGS draft prizes are neat in that they open a pack for every player who came, separate all the rares, put all the commons in one pile and uncommons in another, and let everyone pick from winner down. The top two (three?) get store credit in addition to their pick, the winner will generally grab the money foil, and someone like me who comes absolute dead last gets a bulk rare and almost a full playset of that expansion's commons to play around with.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'm excited to see what the other past-Khans are like in the next set. Yasova Dragonclaw is basically an Alpine Grizzly that can Harness By Force a creature every combat, and I already want to play two or three of those in a Temur Aggro kind of deck. If that's what the green-centric one does, I can't imagine what the Mardu/red-centric one will be doing, and if it'll fit in my Mardu Aggro/Midrange deck.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Mercury Crusader posted:

If that's what the green-centric one does, I can't imagine what the Mardu/red-centric one will be doing, and if it'll fit in my Mardu Aggro/Midrange deck.

White/Black overlaps mostly in removal and lifelink, I guess.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

White/Black overlaps mostly in removal and lifelink, I guess.
It needs to be red too, which mostly leave first strike and conditional damage.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Stealing creatures isn't green, so I don't think the activated ability has to have anything to do with the main color.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Stealing creatures isn't green, so I don't think the activated ability has to have anything to do with the main color.

Cue the next commander supplement having a green Act of Treason.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Cue the next commander supplement having a green Act of Treason.

With Maro regretting it being printed right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So if that's the Temur one, there'll be
B Khan with U/G ability (Sultai)
W Khan with G/B ability (Abzan)
R Khan with B/W ability (Mardu)
U Khan with W/R ability (Jeskai)
Unless I've got the pairings all wrong

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

With Maro regretting it being printed right?

The green is trample, the blue and red is the threaten effect because both colors can steal creatures.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Heavy Lobster posted:

My LGS draft prizes are neat in that they open a pack for every player who came, separate all the rares, put all the commons in one pile and uncommons in another, and let everyone pick from winner down. The top two (three?) get store credit in addition to their pick, the winner will generally grab the money foil, and someone like me who comes absolute dead last gets a bulk rare and almost a full playset of that expansion's commons to play around with.

Any winning record at my store gets at least a pack, and losing records get to reach into the "box of shame" which is outdated sleeve/deckbox product or old promo cards. Also at the Khans prerelease I played an employee in my last round, and a win for me got me two packs and a win for him gave him one so he conceded so that we could both get a pack :3:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cactrot posted:

The green is trample, the blue and red is the threaten effect because both colors can steal creatures.

I was about to say that granting haste isn't very blue, but I guess that's justified by it being attached to a green body.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Wait, in the board state he was in, how did he win? He could draw his whole deck, I guess he says he draws through to the final Helix and then he can bounce the whole board? Okay I just explained it to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Bradley WooYoo facing down the one deck he lost to in the swiss in the top 8, and just got comboed off, again

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 2, 2014

• Locked thread