Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Phoenixan posted:

that folder icon is still making me very mad

have a nicer one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Beeftweeter posted:

they had to have changed the way scaling works in windows 10 because lol everything looks like poo poo

look at the text in the chrome installer and the size of the "how do you want to open" thing

its all so....

authentically digital

Phoenixan posted:

that folder icon is still making me very mad
Once you see the moustache you can't unsee it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have to take a minute and give a big old round of applause to MCR mods.

I ordered the hybrid cap on tuesday and it just arrived at my office today via DHL. Manchester England to NYC in about a day. Unreal.

I also requested a box and told them to tall me what to pay and they sent it along free of charge. Unreal customer service and Liam is super friendly over FB messenger.

I know they're expensive and a lot of people here are into clones (which is perfectly fine with me) but man, if you're ever willing to drop some cash on a mod, MCR is loving awesome and the total opposite of the Glas treehouse culture. Hell, they don't even serialize anything so no LOW # dick wagging/markup.

I've seen some drat good deals on them on Mod Trader recently for them too.

Ok, I'll stop now.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

Ok, I'll stop now.

plz do

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

not even thurrot can polish this turd

quote:

Even after less than a day of use, it's pretty clear that Microsoft Band is big, bulky, uncomfortable and complex enough to dissuade many from using it. Which is too bad, because there is real magic here. Both in the Band itself, which provides an unprecedented number of data-gathering sensors. And in the underlying Microsoft Health services, which are more comprehensive than anything seen in other health and fitness platforms.

First, the basics. Physically, the Band itself will prove too unwieldy for most. I'm going to try and stick it out for a variety of reasons—Microsoft Health being the biggest and most obvious—but I wish Microsoft had made a few nods towards comfort in a device that is designed to sit on your wrist 24 hours a day. I don't notice a Fitbit while I'm playing basketball, walking, typing, or whatever, but I notice the Band when I'm just sitting here motionless. It's ... obtrusive.

Yes, the screen is big and bright. But it's also flat, and not curved for your wrist, so it sticks out in odd angles and gets caught on things all the time. It's like wearing handcuffs, and you're always aware that the device is there. My Fitbit disappears from my mind until I want to check on something.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

not even thurrot can polish this turd

"It's like wearing handcuffs"

a microsoft product, popular with submissives? seems oddly appropriate

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i'm the progress bar that has an ambiguous end point, defeating the whole purpose of a progress bar

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Google Alert - Windows Phone...

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Management posted:

Google Alerts
Google Alert - Windows Phone...

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i love putting irrelevant information to pad out a small screen

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its not a smartwatch guys you're supposed to dual wield it w/ another watch

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
oh i see i can now dual wield watches just like i would guns in halo!!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
from his first impressions article:

quote:

Setup is a bit tedious. You have to charge the Band, which requires sticking a magnet-like connector on the USB-based cable to the back of the device face. Then you have to download and install the Microsoft Health app on Android, iPhone or Windows Phone (I chose Windows Phone, of course) and, in my case at least, fill out some health-related info like weight and height. (The app connects to your Microsoft account, of course.)

At this point, the Band is supposed to pair with your phone. I couldn't get this to work, at all. Reset the app. Rebooted the phone. Nothing.

So I installed the app on my iPhone. Surprise. That worked. Sigh.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the look on his face when it worked on an iphone must have been priceless

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Last Chance posted:

i'm the progress bar that has an ambiguous end point, defeating the whole purpose of a progress bar

im the installing updates 2 of 1

thats seriously not photoshopped or anything. that is a thing that really happened

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Scott Forstall posted:

from his first impressions article:

lol

lol'd irl at this

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
:10bux: says paul thurrot has 8.1 dp but not the Cyan firmware on his phone, so Bluetooth LE is disabled. How someone who runs the WINDOWS SUPER SITE managed this 30 days into october I don't know

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 1, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

A Yolo Wizard posted:

:10bux: says paul thurrot has 8.1 dp but not the Cyan firmware on his phone, so Bluetooth LE is disabled. How someone who runs the WINDOWS SUPER SITE managed this 30 days into october I don't know

why do you know these things

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To be fair he might have a verizon phone that isn't the Lumia Icon and its not his fault

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

because hes incredibly shameful

A Yolo Wizard posted:

that sounds reasonable

merry halloween shitheads

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft employee spotted

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

imagine being an adult and walking around with alcohol in a brown bag

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

imagine being an adult and walking around with alcohol in a brown bag

I'm clearly at home alone in front of my computer sir

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i guess that's what they meant by "beta tested in the future"

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Last Chance posted:

well its at >100% so everythings functioning correctly

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Last Chance posted:

i dont remember what software it was, but there was one where the progress bar endpoint was 8 screens off to the right, so it gets to the end of the window and nope, it's just getting started

pram
Jun 10, 2001
muh dilz

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

stop abusing your retinal macs by running windows on them. especially vm software in windows. that means you're probably running windows native and that's just the wrong move

LMFAO

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mod sassinator posted:

does powershell still not work out of the box until your run it as admin and type in some stupid command to enable running scripts? apparently a scripting environment that runs scripts is a security risk that requires your approval to enable. durrrr

thankfully they bundle a gpo with it now but I think that took until version 3

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

thankfully they bundle a gpo with it now but I think that took until version 3

you still can't treat a .ps1 file as an executable in explorer. gotta wrap it in a .bat.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

minivanmegafun posted:

you still can't treat a .ps1 file as an executable in explorer. gotta wrap it in a .bat.

I think that got fixed with whatever version comes with 2012r2 (4?), powershell.exe takes association with ps1 files. still stupid as poo poo

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I think that got fixed with whatever version comes with 2012r2 (4?), powershell.exe takes association with ps1 files. still stupid as poo poo

it's not that way by default, at least. still had to do that stupid thing in 2012r2.

at least there's a start button again b

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

oh also cmdlets aren't first-class commands which is really stupid

if i want to stop a task using the old crap on a schedule i can just set up a scheduled task with NET STOP CRAPSERVICE

but if I want to use the powershell Stop-Service cmdlet I have to

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -Command Stop-Service crapservice

also it's still at v1.0 even though it's v4.0 because compatibility reasons, of course

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

in short windows server is a bad server os for babbys

scheduled tasks are a goddamn nightmare and i can't thank puppetlabs enough for abstracting it away

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Windows Server is like a Fisher-Price tricycle that has been modified to use an internal combustion engine and travel at highway speeds and be street-legal but the seat still chafes like a motherfucker and every now and again you hit the wrong horn button (because there's two of them) and it makes a plastic honking noise that just gets drowned out by the traffic (but enough about my posting)

(the internal combustion engine is the NT kernel, the plastic tricycle at the core of this mess is the windows api and the cmd.exe user interface partially inherited from MS-DOS)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr Dog posted:

Windows Server is like a Fisher-Price tricycle that has been modified to use an internal combustion engine and travel at highway speeds and be street-legal but the seat still chafes like a motherfucker and every now and again you hit the wrong horn button (because there's two of them) and it makes a plastic honking noise that just gets drowned out by the traffic (but enough about my posting)

(the internal combustion engine is the NT kernel, the plastic tricycle at the core of this mess is the windows api and the cmd.exe user interface partially inherited from MS-DOS)

i have a shorter metaphor:

it's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

laffo

• Locked thread