Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Xelkelvos posted:

In a touching scene, they find that the bomb can only be diffused of energy, not disarmed so Hiroshi tells Asami to leave as he ensures that the bomb properly goes off with minimal damage.

Capitalism saves the day again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Torquemadras posted:

I just hope Korra does not just bust down the door, going "YO SUYIN LET ME STOP YOU FROM SUCCEEDING". My - hopeful - guess is that Suyin's assassination attempt goes wrong, chaos breaks out and Korra forces everyone back into a stalemate, perhaps even saving Suyin from total annihilation.

What I'm saying is: I hope we actually see some upsides of Korra's new approach, instead of delaying the inevitable. I don't want the show viewers to walk away with the impression that we could've saved several episodes if Korra would just have demolished everyone right at the start. Basically, Suyin's assassination can only worsen the entire situation, even without interference, so that there is a POINT to Korra's approach. Everything else would feel kinda frustrating.

...of course, I hope for a mixture of that and gratitous magical kungfu.

Isn't there a shot in the Book 4 trailer of Su Yin and the twins in manacles? It's pretty much guaranteed that Su's assassination attempt will fail, Kuvira will use it as a reason to double down on her rhetoric, and Korra will be forced to step in to save Su Yin and/or Zaofu. Kuvira has been built up as way to adept and ahead of everyone else to be taken out by an assassination attempt, and she was raised by Su, so she knows how Su would react better than anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if it lead Kuvira deploying her spirit vine weapon against Korra and jumpstarting the main Book 4 plotline of "the Avatar vs Fascist dictator with terribly dangerous technology".

Edit: Yep. Looks like clapirons or some kind of metal restraining device to me.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 1, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

If there ever was a time to bring back facebending, this is it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
1. Those robots looked like poo poo.

2. Good for Zhu li.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Isn't there a shot in the Book 4 trailer of Su Yin and the twins in manacles? It's pretty much guaranteed that Su's assassination attempt will fail, Kuvira will use it as a reason to double down on her rhetoric, and Korra will be forced to step in to save Su Yin and/or Zaofu. Kuvira has been built up as way to adept and ahead of everyone else to be taken out by an assassination attempt, and she was raised by Su, so she knows how Su would react better than anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if it lead Kuvira deploying her spirit vine weapon against Korra and jumpstarting the main Book 4 plotline of "the Avatar vs Fascist dictator with terribly dangerous technology".

Yeah, I guess we all expected Suyin to fail (...I'm not giving up on my theory that Suyin is a villain, dammit). I just hope it's not because Korra prevents her from succeeding. We all know there won't be a diplomatic solution with Kuvira, so it would be immensely frustrating to see Korra stall the resolution. It might make perfectly sense when it happens, but when a character has a major breakthrough in their philosophy, you kind of don't want them to be a roadblock to everybody else. I, at least, am already tired of Korra more or less being told off because of her new philosophy.

I want to see that not activating Avatar state and wrecking Kuvira and her army was the right solution. You know, some kind of payoff for Korra trying to understand her enemy. When even the show itself is incredulous their won't be any immediate beatdowns (one of the few times Meelo really is the viewer's voice), I'm confident that's just what will happen. Suyin will hopefully screw up all on her own...

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
The next episode's title is Battle of Zaofu, so yes, it looks like poo poo will hit the fan. (Not that it wasn't obvious enough already since we're barely halfway through the season, but still.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

[src]

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
They should find a way to extract the avatar powers and just make Zhu Li the avatar, she basically runs the whole country anyway

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Christ those robots are loving hideous.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:mad: Mobile suits, you uncultured swines. Robots are autonomous.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's power armor.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Good episode, but we all know where Zhu Li's heart truly lies.

Also, nominating Battar or whatever his name is Jr. for being the biggest shithead this season.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

BrianWilly posted:

:mad: Mobile suits, you uncultured swines. Robots are autonomous.

Zakus. :v: Clearly Hiroshi needs to get working on a Gundam, which he can bequeath to Asami.

Speaking of which, a thought occurred to me just now. If the mechas can shoot grappling hooks on wires, why did Zhu Li decide to use one to sling a rock at a mecha, rather than simply entangling its legs and arms with it?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Because an animator or something decided it would look cool.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The spirit beam looks like a Vaatu energy beam. Makes sense because Unavaatu made them grow in the first place.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

The spirit beam looks like a Vaatu energy beam. Makes sense because Unavaatu made them grow in the first place.

It's the same thing, even makes the same dubstep noises.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Genocyber posted:

I loved those dubstep noises. Vaatu's spirit beams were the best enemy attack in the series.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
It seems like once Goons acknowledged that this is (not) a good show, the frenzied discussions seem to not be forthcoming.

Korra's return and recovery still hasn't been sold to me though. In all three previous seasons, she's pretty much a reactive avatar -- she's been manipulated and put in a (political) situation instead of her dictating the terms. Even though Toph's lectured her on how the past three villains were unbalanced, she still seems uncertain on how to deal with Kuvira.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think that the discussions became less frenzied once we resigned ourselves to the fact that imposing our reactionary leftist Maoist-Third Worldist :ussr: readings on a teen action/adventure show was not something that led to substantial or insightful conversation. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's power armor.
drat it Keith David

Genocyber posted:

Varrick is one step closer to creating the dubstep gun

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
can toph, zuko, and kitara please team up and fight like white lotus did at the end of air bender

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Flat Banana posted:

It seems like once Goons acknowledged that this is (not) a good show, the frenzied discussions seem to not be forthcoming.

Korra's return and recovery still hasn't been sold to me though. In all three previous seasons, she's pretty much a reactive avatar -- she's been manipulated and put in a (political) situation instead of her dictating the terms. Even though Toph's lectured her on how the past three villains were unbalanced, she still seems uncertain on how to deal with Kuvira.

I'd imagine it's because Kuvira's the first antagonist she's had the opportunity to practice what Toph preached to her, and she wants to figure out something that satisfies everyone to at least some degree.

My guess is that it's building up to another "violence isn't the only (or true) way to solve this" epiphany like Aang did, and Korra does something to ensure that Kuvira's ideals of conquest will end for good without actually killing her.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Regalingualius posted:

My guess is that it's building up to another "violence isn't the only (or true) way to solve this" epiphany like Aang did, and Korra does something to ensure that Kuvira's ideals of conquest will end for good without actually killing her.

Actually, Kuvira is going to metalbend a giant mecha and Korra is going to use the avatar state to shoot a big rear end hadouken

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Actually, Kuvira is going to metalbend a giant mecha and Korra is going to use the avatar state to shoot a big rear end hadouken

A hadouken made of peace.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Move this thread to ADTRW

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I’m guessing Zhu Li is playing the long con; my theory is she actually has majority ownership of Varricks Global and her position as Assistant is really just to keep the Golden Goose laying eggs.

Also Toph better show up during the inevitable siege to “hold the line” in order to buy time for the inhabitants of Zaofu to evacuate, making a grand entrance via terraforming the countryside in a hurricane of earth and old lady vitriol. Three minutes of no holds barred raw destruction is all I ask for, and for Toph, unyeilding and steadfast to the last, to go down roaring with laughter as she drags most of the army down into the bowels of the earth with her.

Remember Melonlord.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

DrSunshine posted:

Zakus. :v: Clearly Hiroshi needs to get working on a Gundam, which he can bequeath to Asami.

Speaking of which, a thought occurred to me just now. If the mechas can shoot grappling hooks on wires, why did Zhu Li decide to use one to sling a rock at a mecha, rather than simply entangling its legs and arms with it?

Because it is cool and a lot of the wire action reminds me of Bionic Commando. They even zip kicked!

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Also I can't believe a show that was this terrible in season 2 has somehow gotten worse and we are ending the whole shebang on an honest-to-god GODWIN VILLAIN WITH A METALLIC ARMY AND RE-EDUCATION CAMPS and--

--jesus christ, this is a bad show and now I'm not sure I can deal with it. :saddowns:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay O posted:

Also I can't believe a show that was this terrible in season 2 has somehow gotten worse and we are ending the whole shebang on an honest-to-god GODWIN VILLAIN WITH A METALLIC ARMY AND RE-EDUCATION CAMPS and--

--jesus christ, this is a bad show and now I'm not sure I can deal with it. :saddowns:

So... stop watching it?

We're on loving Season 4 of a children's television show about magical kung-fu people. If you're still not enjoying it and you're still watching it, you're kind of stretching the realm of reasonability.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

ImpAtom posted:

So... stop watching it?

At this point, I gotta see how it ends. It'd be pretty pointless to stop now, I've seen it through this long. But yeah, I didn't think the last season was gonna test my patience this hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay O posted:

At this point, I gotta see how it ends. It'd be pretty pointless to stop now, I've seen it through this long. But yeah, I didn't think the last season was gonna test my patience this hard.

No, just stop watching it. You're being really dumb. You're bitching about something the series has done literally from the start. Like not even from the start of Korra. Fire Lord Ozai? The only villains who are not extremely evil are those that eventually switch sides.

It is utterly remarkable to me how goddamn dense and self-centered people are that they sit down to watch a show about animated cartoon kung-fu wizards on Nick.com and really wholeheartedly expect some kind of bizarre political thriller with tons of moral ambiguity and not a show which is almost required by contract to include rating-friendly kung-fu battles almost every episode.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 2, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ozai was more of a background, looming threat than an actual character. He barely had any presence in seasons 1 and 2 and we just knew what kind of person he was by the actions of his faceless army. It took a Star Wars approach to things, very simplistic without drawing too much attention to it. Korra's problem is that they kept the simplicity but focus on it, so the questionable politics of the show really stand out and can be distracting to some (or a lot) of people.

Edit: I mean, we even had a lovable character flat-out say that the previous antagonists were people who took good ideas to their extremes, which couldn't be farther from the truth with at least two of the previous seasons' antagonists. That's some really messed up politics, if you asked me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Ozai was more of a background, looming threat than an actual character. He barely had any presence in seasons 1 and 2 and we just knew what kind of person he was by the actions of his faceless army. It took a Star Wars approach to things, very simplistic without drawing too much attention to it. Korra's problem is that they kept the simplicity but focus on it, so the questionable politics of the show really stand out and can be distracting to some (or a lot) of people.

Oh yes. The characters he sent out were so more nuanced. Azula totally wasn't a goddamn raging psychpath and Zhao didn't literally murder the moon in order to defeat his enemies.

"It focuses on its questionable politics" just means "It isn't doing exactly what I want!" It's like reading goddamn Harry Potter and getting angry when it does pretty much exactly the same thing. There are things in the show I don't agree with politically but I also did not expect to watch Avatar: Legend of Korra and see a tense political thriller with a minimal amount of kung-fu and tons of moral ambuigity. Especially not by Season 4 of the show and Season 7 of the franchise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 2, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Edit: I mean, we even had a lovable character flat-out say that the previous antagonists were people who took good ideas to their extremes, which couldn't be farther from the truth with at least two of the previous seasons' antagonists. That's some really messed up politics, if you asked me.

Except they laid a lot of groundwork explaining why it's possible/likely for Kuvira to be in exactly the position she's in right now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jay O posted:

Wait, I don't see what's so bad about this? :confused:

I mean, what's the difference between Kuvira's Metal Minions and Ozai's army of Faceless Firebenders with skull helmets, or the difference between Re-Education Camps and Dai Li brainwashing? The series has pretty much gone back to its roots.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yes. The characters he sent out were so more nuanced. Azula totally wasn't a goddamn raging psychpath and Zhao didn't literally murder the moon in order to defeat his enemies.

Hey don't make me post my essay about how Azula isn't a psychopath again. She does some pretty awful things, but deep-down inside she's just a scared girl who desperately wants her mother's love. Psychopaths don't have hallucinations and can turn on or off their empathy almost seemingly at-will. She's probably somewhere in the realm of schizophrenia.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

thexerox123 posted:

Except they laid a lot of groundwork explaining why it's possible/likely for Kuvira to be in exactly the position she's in right now.

I honestly could see that as part of an attempt to convey to kids that haven't studied that bit of history yet that pre-WW2 fascism wasn't some evil force that came out of nowhere, but a reaction to legitimate problems their countries were facing with horrific consequences (of which we'll probably see some heavily toned-down-from-reality version if they do go with an episode of Bolin at a reeducation camp).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey guys, remember how Zuko figured out he could be a good guy? Remember what the shocking reveal was there?

It was that he can become a good guy because he is descended from the Avatar. Iroh tells him that mean Good and Evil were always warring inside of him. Because he has ancestry of both good and evil. And he can choose Evil or Good.

So much moral ambiguity up in these parts.

(Plus it's even semi-contradicted in the same episode by Aang saying that the Fire Nation and Ozai deserves a chance, by which it turns out he means "depose the leader and institute a new leader who happens to be descended from my spiritual lineage on the throne" since it turns out his spiritual lineage is Good and Ozai's is Evil. )

I'm not blaming someone if they don't like the way the shows handle things but if you've watched 7 season of a series and are upset it is doing literally the same things it has done from the start, it may not be entirely the show's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Also every Legend of Korra villain for each season has been based off a twentieth century political movement:

Amon - Communism
Unalaq - Religious Fundamentalism
Zaheer - Anarchism
Kuvira - Fascism

All of these movements were present in Asia during the early 20th century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao_Zedong
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Blood_Incident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism_in_China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statism_in_Sh%C5%8Dwa_Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuomintang

So I think Kuvira having similarities to Hitler is not unintentional, but it's also not as cheesy as you're making it sound. It's a natural progression in the theme of villains for the show.

• Locked thread