Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

z06ck posted:

Haha yeah, right.

Okay? I haven't heard of the plan, so I dunno if it's obscure or a scam. Just call a corporate store and ask? Or customer service? Dial the number, when it asks press 4 for "other options", say "agent" or rep or something. I call them every day it isn't a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Deep Winter posted:

Okay? I haven't heard of the plan, so I dunno if it's obscure or a scam. Just call a corporate store and ask? Or customer service? Dial the number, when it asks press 4 for "other options", say "agent" or rep or something. I call them every day it isn't a big deal.

It's obviously not a loving scam. I read my TOS plenty, I was only asking who else has heard of this and to inform them(after reading more). It's a loyalty plan.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

z06ck posted:

It's obviously not a loving scam. I read my TOS plenty, I was only asking who else has heard of this and to inform them(after reading more). It's a loyalty plan.

Okay, lol, settle down. Yeah, loyalty plans aren't a thing reps deal with, corporate or indirect. As I understand it those sometimes extend your contract. I'm sure it's not a scam if your my Verizon says 6 gigs, but don't be so quick to dismiss scams. A Really big one now is customers getting scam calls from the official customer service or tech support number saying you have a credit available. It asks you to go to verizon(some number).com for a credit of (some number).

Vvv good deal, cool. As an indirect I know nothing about loyalty plans.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 1, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The 6GB loyalty plan is a real thing, just a fyi

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
drat, the 15gb deal in conjunction with the $150 portin credit and $200 iPhone trade in is tempting - I have had an unlimited data account, and my wife's ATT contract is finally coming up this month. Been debating switching it to more everything for $155 total before corporate discount if we do Edge with her. $350 towards the Edge device is pretty sweet.

Hard pulling the trigger off unlimited though.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

The 6GB loyalty plan is a real thing, just a fyi

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

drat, the 15gb deal in conjunction with the $150 portin credit and $200 iPhone trade in is tempting - I have had an unlimited data account, and my wife's ATT contract is finally coming up this month. Been debating switching it to more everything for $155 total before corporate discount if we do Edge with her. $350 towards the Edge device is pretty sweet.

Hard pulling the trigger off unlimited though.

I went to Verizon today and asked about this (my fiancee is on Sprint and gets no service here) and the guy I talked to there told me they could just add a line to my Unlimited Plan for $10 and give her a $50 for 5GB data package; this was quite a bit (like $70/mo cheaper than the 15gb deal). He gave me his card and I'm going back tomorrow to get the $150 port-in credit.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So my HTC One M8 has a 4g connection, but no connection to the internet. It won't transmit data at all. If I go into settings for the internet, mobile data says disconnected. I haven't messed with any settings, any idea what happened?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Do they credit the $150 port in credit immediately? Or is that after a few months of service?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

lostleaf posted:

Do they credit the $150 port in credit immediately? Or is that after a few months of service?

Few bill cycles. I would say 2-3.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

maduin posted:

I went to Verizon today and asked about this (my fiancee is on Sprint and gets no service here) and the guy I talked to there told me they could just add a line to my Unlimited Plan for $10 and give her a $50 for 5GB data package; this was quite a bit (like $70/mo cheaper than the 15gb deal). He gave me his card and I'm going back tomorrow to get the $150 port-in credit.

I don't think this is a real thing.

You used to be able to add a line for $10/mo but it would require a calling plan too. It certainly isn't an option on the website.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

He is just adding to a family share plan or creating one it sounds like

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Cozmosis posted:

I don't think this is a real thing.

You used to be able to add a line for $10/mo but it would require a calling plan too. It certainly isn't an option on the website.

The port in thing is real and starts today. That rep was nice and told you ahead of time. It doesn't go into effect until today. So if you ported in the last week. Or even yesterday, I am sorry but no dice.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You can also do the $10/mo line thing still, you just have to have a clever rep.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After my abortive attempt to buy a Droid Turbo outright on Thursday and canceling the order, I get an email from Verizon this afternoon thanking me for my order. The only line item is:

"MORE Everything Unlimited Talk, Text & 2GB"

What the hell? I didn't touch anything with my plan and my device order has been canceled since Thursday. I can't go to the store on the order right now because I'm 250 miles away. Guess I'm going to be spending some time on the phone with CS this afternoon to find out what they did.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

You can also do the $10/mo line thing still, you just have to have a clever rep.

Even so, you'd still need a minutes/text plan for that line, no? Assuming the phone is actually being used as a phone and not a repository for the former add-a-line unlimited trick.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It only applies to accounts that you're adding lines to. We can still activate the 700/1400/2000 minute family plans.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

So if I want a 700/1400 family plan should I keep calling? What's the base price on those? And how much for text messages on each line?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Probably don't do it through CS, they aren't hungry enough to do it like retail sales reps are. I don't have the pricing for those memorized but they're still the same as they were 2 years ago.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm somehow eligible for an Early Edge even though I'm on a 700 minute family plan. I see that the $25 credit towards your line fee would effectively cancel out the monthly payment for a Turbo but that $25 only applies if you're already on a More Everything plan? If my current line fee is only $9 so I not get any discount and would basically be paying an extra $25 a month if I switched to Edge with a Turbo?

Ive tried doing all this online to see the numbers but the website is not working for me.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If you're not on More Everything, you can still do Edge, you just don't get any discounts.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

I'm currently in unlimited data on Verizon and about to upgrade to a Turbo (thus losing unlimited data). How will this work in terms of data usage if I switch before the end of a billing cycle? Is it just prorated, i.e., the first portion of the cycle I get unlimited and then the remainder is under my new data terms?

FordPRefectLL posted:

If you go to limited data, you're going to get a prorated amount for the remainder of the billing cycle. So if you go to 6GB and you have 2 weeks left, you'll only have 3GB because we all know everyone uses data at a fixed rate that is directly related to time.

Bob A Feet posted:

Just did the same thing. Its immediately limited to 2gb. I was at 2.5 used and it put me over. I haven't checked the bill but I'm sure I was charged for it.

Moving this discussion over here. Has anyone tried this means of keeping your unlimited data plan when upgrading? Seems almost too good to be true.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 2, 2014

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Moving this discussion over here. Has anyone tried this means of keeping your unlimited data plan when upgrading? Seems almost too good to be true.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question but how are you getting "you can upgrade and keep unlimited data" out of that discussion?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Aww yeah

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Penguissimo posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question but how are you getting "you can upgrade and keep unlimited data" out of that discussion?

Sorry about that. Missed one of the posts, it's edited in now.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My friend wants to buy a droid turbo and he has unlimited data and he wants to pay full price but the reps won't let him how can he buy one?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Order online. Shipping is pretty quick

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

b0nes posted:

My friend wants to buy a droid turbo and he has unlimited data and he wants to pay full price but the reps won't let him how can he buy one?

Also go to a real store, sounds like you might have wound up at a third party dealer who didn't want to do it because they'd get no commission if they didn't get him on a cntract.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

The Best Buy and Costco tricks definitely work - just unclear if it will continue to work or if VZW will revert these people to 2GB plans.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

XIII posted:

Well, poo poo. I had planned to just buy one outright, but this might be work looking into. Looking on the website, it says customers of 7+ months must have good payment history for the last 6 months. I've been a month behind for, like, two years, but I've never missed a payment or had my service suspended. Would that be an issue? (Typing this makes me guess I should go ahead and pay up to current, since I'm finally in a financial place that I can; I just haven't been in a situation to do so until a few months ago)

My Note 2 has a cracked screen but works fine, I take it I won't qualify for the trade-in?

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Few questions.

1. I have a nationwide family plan with 2 smart phones and 3 dumbphones. I want to switch to More Everything and get the dumbphone edge discount, but the dumbphones are under contract until april. Any chance I can talk a rep into ending the contract early on the dumbphones if I change to More Everything? I mean the full price of their phones is $30 on amazon without contract, its not like Verizon hasn't made back the subsidy.
2. Can I buy a Moto G prepaid for $99 then activate it on a More Everything line to get a cheap smartphone with edge discount? Any other good options for $200 or less full price smartphone to get edge discount?
3. Probably at least my dad and step mom will stick with dumb-phones, are there any that are known to be less lovely? Like decent battery life, durable, no butt dials? Maybe even usb charging?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

modig posted:

Few questions.

1. I have a nationwide family plan with 2 smart phones and 3 dumbphones. I want to switch to More Everything and get the dumbphone edge discount, but the dumbphones are under contract until april. Any chance I can talk a rep into ending the contract early on the dumbphones if I change to More Everything? I mean the full price of their phones is $30 on amazon without contract, its not like Verizon hasn't made back the subsidy.

No, but you might be available for early edge. Dumbphones don't get a discount on edge. Maybe you mean month to month, but that's off contract.

modig posted:

2. Can I buy a Moto G prepaid for $99 then activate it on a More Everything line to get a cheap smartphone with edge discount? Any other good options for $200 or less full price smartphone to get edge discount?

Nope, a prepaid phone had to be active for 6 months before it can be placed on contract/postpaid, just to prevent what you want to do. The edge discount you get when you are paying for the phone per month. You can a month to month discount when your off contract, and new smartphones start at $500. Buy one used off eBay.

modig posted:

3. Probably at least my dad and step mom will stick with dumb-phones, are there any that are known to be less lovely? Like decent battery life, durable, no butt dials? Maybe even usb charging?

They'll all the same. Gusto 3, revere 3, convoy. Flip phones can't be butt dialed, good battery life, charge via micro usb.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Also go to a real store, sounds like you might have wound up at a third party dealer who didn't want to do it because they'd get no commission if they didn't get him on a contract.

He says he did this online, through Verizon chat. Ideally he doesn't want to talk to anyone in person because he is scared of losing his unlimited data. I saw the trick described on Slickdeals, I sent it to him. My question is why does it sign him up for a 2 year contract if he is buying the phone outright?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

b0nes posted:

He says he did this online, through Verizon chat. Ideally he doesn't want to talk to anyone in person because he is scared of losing his unlimited data. I saw the trick described on Slickdeals, I sent it to him. My question is why does it sign him up for a 2 year contract if he is buying the phone outright?

Why does what sign him up for a 2-year contract? The Slickdeals trick? If you're using the Best Buy loophole as described on Slickdeals you're buying the phone on a 2-year contract at the 2 year contract price, and you're crossing your fingers that not activating on the provided SIM will permanently keep your unlimited. I have to imagine there's a non-zero possibility that someone will notice what's up on your line and kick you down to 2GB.

If you just choose the full-retail option on the web, or just walk into a store (that's not a 3rd-party store, for the reason I already said) and say "I'd like to buy this phone full price," then they'll sell you the phone at full price, sans contract, and you'll keep unlimited legitimately because you didn't enter into any contract.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Thinking of switching from T-Mobile from Verizon and getting an iPhone 6, is going directly through Verizon the best bet? I ran through some options on the Best Buy website but they don't have anything like the $150 credit for switching or the -$25 Edge discount (which sucks since my local Best Buys have plenty of 128gb models in stock)

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

1st AD posted:

Thinking of switching from T-Mobile from Verizon and getting an iPhone 6, is going directly through Verizon the best bet? I ran through some options on the Best Buy website but they don't have anything like the $150 credit for switching or the -$25 Edge discount (which sucks since my local Best Buys have plenty of 128gb models in stock)

They are doing it. Best buy is an indirect with their own system, they still do Verizon. They definitely have the edge discount, that's automatic on a smartphone on edge, and they are probably doing the port in credit too, just letting version do all the advertisements.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I just want to confirm that there is no method of "modernizing" a grandfathered unlimited data plan, correct? The situation is my UDP is part of an ancient 2006-era familyshare plan (2 dumbphones, 1 tiered smartphone, my UDP smartphone).

We want to move all 3 other phones off this plan and onto the modern family sharing plans with shared data (also upgrading the two basic phones to smart-phones in the process). That particular part should be straigtforward-ish (drop the single smart-phone on old plan, reactivate on new; activate two new phones).

However, once that's done, that still leaves me with a UDP on an ancient familyshare plan with no other phones on it. Is there anyway to modify that? I'm not optimistic about the answer, but might as well ask.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

lurksion posted:

I just want to confirm that there is no method of "modernizing" a grandfathered unlimited data plan, correct? The situation is my UDP is part of an ancient 2006-era familyshare plan (2 dumbphones, 1 tiered smartphone, my UDP smartphone).

We want to move all 3 other phones off this plan and onto the modern family sharing plans with shared data (also upgrading the two basic phones to smart-phones in the process). That particular part should be straigtforward-ish (drop the single smart-phone on old plan, reactivate on new; activate two new phones).

However, once that's done, that still leaves me with a UDP on an ancient familyshare plan with no other phones on it. Is there anyway to modify that? I'm not optimistic about the answer, but might as well ask.

You can do a transfer of liability to a new account and keep the data but pick single line minutes/texts. You can even sell your unlimited plan and do this with someone else.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

You can do a transfer of liability to a new account and keep the data but pick single line minutes/texts. You can even sell your unlimited plan and do this with someone else.
That sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I'll look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

lurksion posted:

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I'll look into it.

Verizon calls it Assumption of Liability

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/AccountManagement/faq_my_account_online.html#item7

• Locked thread