Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

i have a shorter metaphor:

it's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

they had to have changed the way scaling works in windows 10 because lol everything looks like poo poo

look at the text in the chrome installer and the size of the "how do you want to open" thing

its all so....

authentically digital

i think windows has always had hosed up inconsistent scaling

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

i have a shorter metaphor:

it's poo poo

But enough about your posts

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i forgot the password for a throwaway microsoft passport (or whatever they're called now) account i have and had to reset it

the password i tried was "Steve Ballmer", "Bill Gates" isn't allowed either

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i bet they coded that in because ballmer would always insist on setting his password to Steve Ballmer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

i bet they coded that in because ballmer would always insist on setting his password to Steve Ballmer

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

is there a PC hardware thread or do we just talk about it here because OEMs are poisoning Microsoft's brand just as much as Microsoft itself?

anyway, apparently the ASUS touchpad driver will crank the CPU frequency up to maximum (and turn on the fans) whenever you use two finger scrolling

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it takes a lot of power to see where the second finger is

in fact, just to handle 4 finger swipes you need to enable all 4 cores + multithreading

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i've seen a windows machine scroll. that seems like a reasonable decision.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

is there a PC hardware thread or do we just talk about it here because OEMs are poisoning Microsoft's brand just as much as Microsoft itself?

anyway, apparently the ASUS touchpad driver will crank the CPU frequency up to maximum (and turn on the fans) whenever you use two finger scrolling

i get ur mom all hot and needing the fan when i use two fingers iykwim :q:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

maybe apple holds the patent on scrolling with two fingers without using all of your CPU cores like they hold the patent on PDF rendering without using all of your CPU cores

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pseudorandom name posted:

It's generally because the vendors have no pride and go for the bulk market, the growing PC market keeps on picking cheaper PCs and thus forcing the design decisions. Sony used to be nice but their software always let them down together with the retarded mentality that you must use their installation and not clean install, hence very limited access to drivers et al.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PC users are like voters
ignorant, shortsighted, and mostly just hoping to not have to pay as much

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yes, PC makers are dumb and bad and none of them can make a machine that isn't a piece of poo poo.

years of margin pressure have made them unable to spend money on anything if it doesn't tick a box on a checklist. quality is not on any checklist.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

PC users are like voters
ignorant, shortsighted, and mostly just hoping to not have to pay as much

The Management posted:

yes, PC makers are dumb and bad and none of them can make a machine that isn't a piece of poo poo.

years of margin pressure have made them unable to spend money on anything if it doesn't tick a box on a checklist. quality is not on any checklist.

double empty quotin' some serious correct sunday afternoon yospostin'

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mishaq posted:

double empty quotin' some serious correct sunday afternoon yospostin'

for real i almost double quoted the same posts thanks for doing it for me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

everytime i use my $3000+ dell precision m4800 at work i just realize i could have a retinal 15" mbp for the same money and it'd be 100000 times better :sigh:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Last Chance posted:

Last Chance posted:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

mishaq posted:

everytime i use my $3000+ dell precision m4800 at work i just realize i could have a retinal 15" mbp for the same money and it'd be 100000 times better :sigh:

yeah this is seriously shameful.

if your work is willing to drop deece 4 figgies on your desktop just ask for the money and either buy the top of the line 13" and a refurb tb display OR built your computer and get like two 27" dell monitors.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

they all can make machines that aren't poo poo, they just can't make them cheaper than yospos' favorite vendor, apple. good stuff costs money.

lenovo sells laptops for $300. they are poo poo.

lenovo also sells laptops for $2,000. they are much less poo poo, but nobody buys them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FamDav posted:

if your work is willing to drop deece 4 figgies on your desktop just ask for the money and either buy the top of the line 13" and a refurb tb display OR built your computer and get like two 27" dell monitors.

your head of IT would rather chew his fingers off for sport than surrender any purchasing authority. he will make up any reasons necessary

that 27" monitor is a different SKU from his anointed 19" 1366x768 TN panel that all corporate drones have, that's unsupportable!!!!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FamDav posted:

yeah this is seriously shameful.

uh, i'm sure as poo poo not letting anyone buy something without nbd support, which disqualifies macs and build-your-own solutions

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

univbee posted:

uh, i'm sure as poo poo not letting anyone buy something without nbd support, which disqualifies macs and build-your-own solutions

already had the motherboard on this piece of poo poo replaced once because it came from the factory with two non functional usb ports

so yeah definitely need nbd support when youre buying piles of garbage

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

i forgot the password for a throwaway microsoft passport (or whatever they're called now) account i have and had to reset it

the password i tried was "Steve Ballmer", "Bill Gates" isn't allowed either

steve ballmer is quite the character

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

univbee posted:

look at this guy who hasn't heard of apss

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

did you gently caress up and mean aasp or are you referring me to a sleep clinic?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.apple.com/support/products/premium/onsite.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

well unless you need cad work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Thanks Ants posted:

i don't think apple does on-site anymore dude

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

same but lenovo w540, but some people on the broader product team have macs so maybe i'll be able to choose in three to five years

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think apple does on-site anymore dude

I know an architect firm in Manhattan that gets a lot of special treatment from Apple and Autodesk and what appears to be regular onsite visits and early access.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Generally with my users the people you see using Macs are usually really stupid, and don't do any real work. Or literally the only thing they do is read and send emails.

lol nice job you have

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

you're right, they should have used "such as"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

everyone in my office uses macs except the server admin guy who uses a linux

whenever he needs to enter some text in non-latin language he has to ask one of us to do it because his lovely linux can't display the chars

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

meme-lands 2: the memequel

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I can't even imagine accepting a job that doesn't support macs. what kind of idiots listen to their CJs instead of the people that actually do productive work?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

I can't even imagine accepting a job that doesn't support macs. what kind of idiots listen to their CJs instead of the people that actually do productive work?

---the management

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The Management posted:

last time I was looking for a new job I had three choices.

offer 1: $n, stuck with a crappy Dell.
offer 2: $n+2k, got a MacBook Pro but it was hella out in the burbs
offer 3: $n-2k, MacBook Pro

easy choice really. good companies are starting to realize that choice of tools matters when you're competing for talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Foo posted:

---the management

don't sign my posts

• Locked thread