Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I mean, what's the difference between Kuvira's Metal Minions and Ozai's army of Faceless Firebenders with skull helmets, or the difference between Re-Education Camps and Dai Li brainwashing? The series has pretty much gone back to its roots.

Regalingualius posted:

(we'll probably see some heavily toned-down-from-reality version if they do go with an episode of Bolin at a reeducation camp).

And we've already seen prison camps that house political prisoners in AtLA in addition to Lake Laogai... the Earthbender prison in Book 1 where the kids give the workers coal to earthbend, and The Boiling Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

ImpAtom posted:

No, just stop watching it. You're being really dumb. You're bitching about something the series has done literally from the start. Like not even from the start of Korra. Fire Lord Ozai? The only villains who are not extremely evil are those that eventually switch sides.

It is utterly remarkable to me how goddamn dense and self-centered people are that they sit down to watch a show about animated cartoon kung-fu wizards on Nick.com and really wholeheartedly expect some kind of bizarre political thriller with tons of moral ambiguity and not a show which is almost required by contract to include rating-friendly kung-fu battles almost every episode.

Except that's not what I was expecting or wanting. At all.

What I originally wanted from Korra, and what I got in spades from Avatar, was a fun show with fun characters, and Korra hasn't been any loving fun for about three seasons. I could care less about moral ambiguity or political opinions in, as you put it, the "animated cartoon kun-fu wizard show." I have other media for that, I don't expect it from Avatar. The fact that the show attempts these things and fails at them is the *entire* problem. Frankly, I did not ask for those things ever, so the show's fervent attempts to be "adult" in all the wrong ways is the problem, and it's now coalescing in the invocation of Nazi imagery that is not for heightened funsies but taking itself 100% seriously as some kind of nuanced commentary. Godwin it up all you want if you can do something fun with it, but what Korra's doing is basically the hackiest thing to ever hack, following a long series of decisions to this tune.

Anyway, there's no need to be angry. I expressed a dissenting opinion and you just pop your top and go railing off on twenty different assumptions about why. Well, those assumptions were wrong. Also, people can have differing opinions and watch media for whatever reason they want to, whether they're enjoying it in the same way as you, or even "enjoying" it at all, or not. No need to throw a tantrum about it.

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, I don't see what's so bad about this? :confused:

I mean, what's the difference between Kuvira's Metal Minions and Ozai's army of Faceless Firebenders with skull helmets, or the difference between Re-Education Camps and Dai Li brainwashing? The series has pretty much gone back to its roots.

One of those things was over-the-top high-concept goofy fun (the enforced smiling and such,) not purporting to be commentary or anything. The other is so self-serious it's nigh-on oppressive, and isn't a tenth as smart or unique as the show seems to think it is. Tone and framing differences, basically.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 2, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jay O posted:

Frankly, I did not ask for those things ever, so the show's fervent attempts to be "adult" in all the wrong ways is the problem

Yes, but I think the point is... who cares what you asked for? It's dumb to continue to judge the show based on what you personally wanted/expected from it. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially when according to you it hasn't been that way for 3 seasons.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 2, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay O posted:

Frankly, I did not ask for those things ever, so the show's fervent attempts to be "adult" in all the wrong ways is the problem, and it's now coalescing in the invocation of Nazi imagery that is not for heightened funsies but taking itself 100% seriously as some kind of nuanced commentary.

So how the gently caress did you watch The Last Airbender, a show where the protagonist finds the corpse of his pacifist mentor surrounded by the bodies of the hundreds of Wizard Nazi soldiers he murdered? How the hell are you arguing a show with repeated jokes about fartbending is taking itself 100% seriously? How are you complaining about Nazi imagery when the first series had that too.

Jay O posted:

Anyway, there's no need to be angry. I expressed a dissenting opinion and you just pop your top and go railing off on twenty different assumptions about why.

You didn't express a dissenting opinion. You expressed the same tedious opinion that has rendered this thread unreadable for the last three seasons and you did it in the same breath as refusing to stop watching because "well, I have to see how it ends!!"

Jay O posted:

One of those things was over-the-top high-concept goofy fun (the enforced smiling and such,) not purporting to be commentary or anything. The other is so self-serious it's nigh-on oppressive, and isn't a tenth as smart or unique as the show seems to think it is. Tone and framing differences, basically.

Yes, it's over the top goofy fun when they captured and brainwashed one of the secondary characters and eventually murdered him. Places like the Earthbender prison or Boiling Rock were so funny and goofy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 2, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jay O posted:

Except that's not what I was expecting or wanting. At all.

What I originally wanted from Korra, and what I got in spades from Avatar, was a fun show with fun characters, and Korra hasn't been any loving fun for about three seasons.

Did you watch the original Avatar? It literally starts with a young child waking up and realizing that literally everyone he has ever known and loved is dead and the world has fallen into despair because he abandoned his duties.

They took the time for jokes and some fun characters here and there, as has Korra, but both series were ultimately covering some pretty heavy and dark subjects from the word go.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

thexerox123 posted:

Yes, but I think the point is... who cares what you asked for? It's dumb to continue to judge the show based on what you personally wanted/expected from it. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

That's fair. The show shouldn't have to cater to my expectations. It just needs to be good at what it does, even if that's nothing like Avatar.

My argument is that it's bad at what it does, though. Regardless of the tone of Avatar. Closest thing I can compare Korra to in tone and execution are the Star Wars prequels and those new Hobbit movies. Which both have their fans! But it's not my bag.

ImpAtom posted:

You didn't express a dissenting opinion. You expressed the same tedious opinion that has rendered this thread unreadable for the last three seasons and you did it in the same breath as refusing to stop watching because "well, I have to see how it ends!!"

Given my numerous interactions with Korra diehards who basically started sending me rape threats the minute I said it was badly written, I'm gonna say it's the fault of the fanbase for stinking up the thread, and probably not the one small post I just made that you're attributing to some hivemind that doesn't exist. See also the incredibly ridiculous anger and "OH YEAH WELL IT'S ALWAYS BEEN DARRRRRRK" arguments that recall a 12-year old explaining why his spandex book is really for adults because the girlfriend's body gets cut up and put in the freezer...

Anyway. I should probably stop there, obviously. I knew this was a bad thread when I walked in, was just curious to see what was going on in here since the ONE time I posted two seasons ago and accidentally gave the thread the title it still carries today. I guess it's still a cesspit filled with angry piranha like ImpAtom who lance into defensive hyperbole at the drop of a hat! Toodle-oo, sorry for wasting your time~!

EDIT:

DrSunshine posted:

I think the basic gist of it is just that Jay O doesn't think that the LoK characters are fun, while he did enjoy the ATLA characters. I think that's a reasonable opinion to have.

Bless you for reacting like a decent human being to a differing opinion.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 2, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think the basic gist of it is just that Jay O doesn't think that the LoK characters are fun, while he did enjoy the ATLA characters. I think that's a reasonable opinion to have.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DrSunshine posted:

She, but yeah.
I do kinda gree though. Outside of Tenzin, Korra, Bolin, Lin and maybe Ikki I don't care too much about any of the characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay O posted:

Anyway, I should probably stop there, obviously. I knew this was a bad thread when I walked in, was just curious to see what was going on in here since the ONE time I posted two seasons ago and accidentally gave the thread the title it still carries today. I guess it's still a cesspit filled with angry piranha like ImpAtom who lance into defensive hyperbole at the drop of a hat! Toodle-oo, sorry for wasting your time~!

Then make a good argument instead of popping in and going "this show is bad because of Hitler."

DrSunshine posted:

That would be a fine argument but it isn't the one she made. The argument she made is "this show takes itself too seriously and parallels real-world things" which is something The Last Airbender did too, and arguably more significantly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 2, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Like or dislike whatever you want for whatever reasons satisfy you, but for god's sake, post better.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, it's not an uncommon opinion to have. I think Jay O expresses it in the most deliberately belligerent way possible almost to bait people into arguing. The whole "I'm going stop in this thread for the first time, angrily express my opinion, tell other people not to be angry, and then take my ball and go home" thing is pretty annoying and honestly what makes this thread bad in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Yes, it's not an uncommon opinion to have. I think Jay O expresses it in the most deliberately belligerent way possible almost to bait people into arguing. The whole "I'm going stop in this thread for the first time, angrily express my opinion, tell other people not to be angry, and then take my ball and go home" thing is pretty annoying and honestly what makes this thread bad in the first place.

Seriously, if the argument had been "I don't like the cast of Korra as much as the cast of Avatar, I think they're not as funny/not as likable," I'd agree with that. But that isn't the argument that was made. I do think the Korra cast is legitimately weaker and less interesting. I mean it has Mako. Mako.

There is a lot to dislike about Korra but for some reason there is a certain kind of fan fixated on making it like Korra isn't (fail or succeed) attempting to do exactly the same thing Avatar: The Last Airbender did. You can say it does it poorly but when you try to argue that Avatar didn't feature grimness, prison camps or Wizard Hitler, it feels like you're stretching to 'justify' your opinion.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 2, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:shrug:

I on the other hand, don't particularly care about characters that much. I know, it sounds so bad! I feel that I'm being a bad active watcher/consumer of fiction for saying it, but I'm being honest about my reasons!

I watch shows because I become interested in where the plot goes, and the various actions that happen, not because I get into various characters and want to see them do or say this or that. Legend of Korra supplies cool action, fairly complex world-building for a teen/YA show, and a plot that goes through various twists at a brisk clip, so it's enough for me!

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Rosalind posted:

Okay, that's fair. It's lovely of me, I'm pokin' the beehive a little bit, but it is my honest opinion. I just don't feel like hedging it or parsing it nicely because, well, I shouldn't have to. We're discussing a TV show, I'm not insulting anyone's family here, and the fact that people get so outrageously angry over negative opinions of Korra (and I do mean Korra specifically, the ONLY fanbase I've seen react more virulently to any criticism is bronies,) kinda creates an "in for a penny in for a pound" situation. I've talked about Korra "nicely" before. Trust me, the reaction was immediately coarse and violent and "WELL ACTUALLY" and "THEN STOP WATCHING NOT-TRUE FAN," etc. But I didn't know that's what multiple people were doing in this thread. I think the reason might be that no one wants to stay because of the tenor of discussion/"tone of the room," guys. I mean, that's a distinct possibility.

Okay, now I'm out for reals. Sorry for wasting your time with my bad opinions, and apparently not being the first person to do that. I guess you've attracted multiple hive-pokers.

Rosalind posted:

Huh? If you look at my first post, I wasn't angry. Not at all. I was incredulous. Disappointed. "Angry?" No. It's a piece of media. I expressed that I thought it sucked, and I went into :saddowns: jokey mode about it. I wasn't angry about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay O posted:

Okay, that's fair. It's lovely of me, I'm pokin' the beehive a little bit, but it is my honest opinion. I just don't feel like hedging it or parsing it nicely because, well, I shouldn't have to. We're discussing a TV show, I'm not insulting anyone's family here, and the fact that people get so outrageously angry over negative opinions of Korra (and I do mean Korra specifically, the ONLY fanbase I've seen react more virulently to any criticism is bronies,) kinda creates an "in for a penny in for a pound" situation. I've talked about Korra "nicely" before. Trust me, the reaction was immediately coarse and violent and "WELL ACTUALLY" and "THEN STOP WATCHING NOT-TRUE FAN," etc. But I didn't know that's what multiple people were doing in this thread. I think the reason might be that no one wants to stay because of the tenor of discussion/"tone of the room," guys. I mean, that's a distinct possibility.

Okay, now I'm out for reals. Sorry for wasting your time with my bad opinions, and apparently not being the first person to do that. I guess you've attracted multiple hive-pokers.

Why do you think you shouldn't have to care about how you post, but that other people should care about how they post in response to you? Like you straight-up said "I know I didn't hedge it out or parse it nicely" but you don't expect the same in response to you?

Like, I'm not trying to be a dick, but why are you expecting a positive response to a negative one? If you'd just expressed "I don't really like the characters' then, as I said, I'd have agreed with you. You didn't do anything of the sort.

I don't follow "Korra fandom" because the only reason I watch this show is because my little sister likes it and I find it pretty enjoyable to watch with her, but the Korra fans I've encountered are far more like you and that is why I find it pretty tiresome to see the same seemingly spacious argument again.

And yes, I do think you should stop watching. If you're not enjoying something stop it. There's no reason to continue! It isn't going to suddenly change! You're not going to enjoy it more! You are literally wasting your time! It isn't about being a 'true fan.' It is about not wasting a few hours of your life on something you're not enjoying! There isn't even the "well, I paid for it" argument. It's free online!

Jay O posted:

Huh? If you look at my first post, I wasn't angry. Not at all. I was incredulous. Disappointed. "Angry?" No. It's a piece of media. I expressed that I thought it sucked, and I went into :saddowns: jokey mode about it. I wasn't angry about it.

Your exact words were "jesus christ, this is a bad show" after a barrage of capital letters which doesn't exactly read as "not angry."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 2, 2014

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
For some strange reason I'm not mad that Jay O is mad that Sokka isn't around to make Sokka jokes anymore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Move this thread to ADTRW

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

ImpAtom posted:

Why do you think you shouldn't have to care about how you post, but that other people should care about how they post in response to you? Like you straight-up said "I know I didn't hedge it out or parse it nicely" but you don't expect the same in response to you?

Like, I'm not trying to be a dick, but why are you expecting a positive response to a negative one? If you'd just expressed "I don't really like the characters' then, as I said, I'd have agreed with you. You didn't do anything of the sort.

Well, I wasn't expecting a "positive response," but horrible rancor that I would dare to express such negativity in a way you did not find suitable was a bit much, yeah. You say your issue wasn't with my opinion, but how I was expressing it. But it's not your job to tell other people how to express their opinions. You can debate the opinions themselves, and if someone's breaking the rules, they'll be moderated pretty quickly, this is SA after all. Past that, there's not really any need to turn the thread into a place where one person can post and immediately get shouted at for having an unpopular opinion. No, that is not common on SA, that is not a "what did you expect," it's pretty weird.

quote:

Your exact words were "jesus christ, this is a bad show" after a barrage of capital letters which doesn't exactly read as "not angry."

Okay, well to clarify: the show does not make me angry. I'm aghast at how poor the writing is a lot of the time, but that's about it. I thought the post came across as incredulous rather than fire-starty, since I was talking about the show's content itself and not anybody else's opinions or "calling anybody out," but I guess I was wrong, I understand. I do think ImpAtom is personalizing the show a little much, though, to be that virulently opposed to people (apparently plural) expressing dissent over it. You don't have to internalize this stuff that much.

Gah, I keep saying I'm out, and I mean it. I don't really want to discuss Korra in here given the tone of the room, but I just keep posting in response to responses to me and agh a vicious cycle...

Sorry! That's enough out of me, then.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Come on I'm sure you've got another "I'm leaving" image all lined up don't leave us hanging.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jay O posted:

Well, I wasn't expecting a "positive response," but horrible rancor that I would dare to express such negativity in a way you did not find suitable was a bit much, yeah.

It would have been a bit much, if such a thing had actually happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay O posted:

Well, I wasn't expecting a "positive response," but horrible rancor that I would dare to express such negativity in a way you did not find suitable was a bit much, yeah. You say your issue wasn't with my opinion, but how I was expressing it. But it's not your job to tell other people how to express their opinions. You can debate the opinions themselves, and if someone's breaking the rules, they'll be moderated pretty quickly, this is SA after all. Past that, there's not really any need to turn the thread into a place where one person can post and immediately get shouted at for having an unpopular opinion. No, that is not common on SA, that is not a "what did you expect," it's pretty weird.

Like, you keep acting like I threatened to kill you or something. At worse I used the word 'gently caress' a few things, which, again, this is Something Awful, people use gently caress more often than they use periods on this website. You're choosing to read my own posts as being full of super-venom rancor but not actually looking at the tone of your own posts.

You're allowed to be negative but you're not even being negative in a reasonable way and you admitted that yourself. I responded to the argument you made, not the argument you didn't make.

Jay O posted:

I do think ImpAtom is personalizing the show a little much, though, to be that virulently opposed to people (apparently plural) expressing dissent over it. You don't have to internalize this stuff that much.

Again, you're choosing to read my posts as being super-violent angry but not looking at the tone of your own posts.

I'm not. My level of care about Korra is extremely minimal. I don't partake of the fandom. I don't own the DVDs. I bought the video game because a developer I like made it, not because I care about Korra stuff. I watch the show with my little sister and that is the beginning, and end, of my interest in the Korra fanbase aside from posting in this thread and a few random encounters elsewhere. I post in this thread because I enjoy discussing something I'm watching or playing or reading because hearing other opinions on subjects usually enriches my experience. I post because I enjoy hearing others opinions and responding to them. v:shobon:v

And if I sound snappish it is because your opinion is not the dissenting one. The last three threads have been terrible because of constant unrelenting negativity. that spirals "this show really isn't very good" into treating it like it's a combination of Ebola and Cancer and complaining about every single aspect of the show, including things the previous show did. I'd have dropped the thread except there are occasionally some really informative and cool posts by some posters that make it worthwhile to follow, especially the ones regards the history or design elements I overlook.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 2, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I did take issue with Toph's bone-headed evaluation of previous season's antagonists. It felt like she was a writer's surrogate tell the audience that these monsters had good ideas when, in fact, two of the three of them were clearly monsters. Zaheer was at least honest about his philosophy and didn't behind those Road Warrior-esque bandits from early on in Season 3. Nothing about them was taking something to the extreme. Kuvira does fit under that classification, though. But yeah, that one line really rubbed me the wrong way and kind of soured me on the season. I've overlooked the flaws in the writing since I don't watch a lot of animated TV but seeing Rock and Morty recently showed me how tightly that show was written compared to this one. This one wastes a lot of time. 12-14 episode seasons can be OK if you write for them as such but I just get the feeling that the writers are still stuck in the 20 episode format mode.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 2, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jay O posted:

I would agree that a lot of the Korra fanbase is fanatical and thin skinned; I think here we are mostly reasonable people who would not send death/rape threats over a show made for kids. (I am an optimist for sure though) I don't think you would receive that kind of horrifying response if you talked "nicely" about Korra here. I mean you are probably right about the show, it does have hacky writing and bad characters, but eh I enjoy it. Definitely better cartoons around at this time though. However, I still disagree with your post that it was dumb to have Mad Max bikers in season 3 :colbert:

thexerox123 posted:

It would have been a bit much, if such a thing had actually happened.
I mean on Twitter or the That Guy With The Glasses forums (the latter I'm assuming though correct me if I am wrong Jay O), but those sites kind of cater to that manchild/teenager who is going to regret posting this stuff later when at a job interview and they pull up a twitter post of threatening to rape someone because they did not like the show they watched crowd.

Jimbot posted:

I did take issue with Toph's bone-headed evaluation of previous season's antagonists. It felt like she was a writer's surrogate tell the audience that these monsters had good ideas when, in fact, two of the three of them were clearly monsters. Zaheer was at least honest about his philosophy and didn't behind those Road Warrior-esque bandits from early on in Season 3. Nothing about them was taking something to the extreme. Kuvira does fit under that classification, though. But yeah, that one line really rubbed me the wrong way and kind of soured me on the season. I've overlooked the flaws in the writing since I don't watch a lot of animated TV but seeing Rock and Morty recently showed me how tightly that show was written compared to this one. This one wastes a lot of time. 12-14 episode seasons can be OK if you write for them as such but I just get the feeling that the writers are still stuck in the 20 episode format mode.
Really this show could have benefited with more writers

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 2, 2014

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

For all the sins of this show, I fail to see how someone can call it outright terrible. Okayish? Yeah. Mediocre? Sure. Bad? As you wish. But terrible? Get outta town.

And what does GODWIN VILLAIN even mean? We can't allude to Third Reich now? Does Hitler have ownership over the concept of concentration camps and highly disciplined army? I feel that, for a series aimed at teens, LoK did a fairly good job of showing how even noble (at their core, at least) ideologies can lead to mayhem and chaos. Almost like - gasp! - throughout our whole loving history.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jimbot posted:

I disagree. Amon believed in equality, or at least claimed to, which I think we can all agree is a Good Thing. But he took it too far in the wrong direction, insisting that for equality to exist those who are privileged must be torn down. Unalaaq or however you spell his name believed in spiritual balance which, in the Avatar world especially is of very real importance, but ultimately took it too far with his whole "for everything to really be balanced we need 10,000 years of EVIL AVATAR!" thing. Again he started and exposed a good point, but went wrong with it. Zaheer believed that everyone should be their own master, beholden to no leader, but rather than let people choose that path he stepped in and forced it upon them (like a leader would) by killing the Earth Queen and trying to kill the Avatar. His base idea, that everyone should be free to live their lives as they wish, is just fine but his execution was bad. Kuvira feels her country and people need a strong, capable leader to unite them and lead them as a whole into a brighter future. That's in no way a bad idea, at all, but again she's going about it in a bad way by forcing people to accept her ideals and rule.

The entire moral of Legend of Korra has been "everything should be balanced", and at very least since Book 2 they've been making that very clear. Hell, Korra flatly agreed with her uncle and even left the spirit portals open exactly as he'd wanted because she realized he was (partially) right. We also got hints that Zaheer was partially right, in the fact that Kuvira has needed to use force to convince some people to join her suggests that some people were just fine not having an overall leader to follow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PiedPiper posted:

For all the sins of this show, I fail to see how someone can call it outright terrible. Okayish? Yeah. Mediocre? Sure. Bad? As you wish. But terrible? Get outta town.

And what does GODWIN VILLAIN even mean? We can't allude to Third Reich now? Does Hitler have ownership over the concept of concentration camps and highly disciplined army? I feel that, for a series aimed at teens, LoK did a fairly good job of showing how even noble (at their core, at least) ideologies can lead to mayhem and chaos. Almost like - gasp! - throughout our whole loving history.

I can see how someone would call Season 2 terrible. The Republic City arc was like the death of good writing and it's pretty telling Season 3 basically did everything it could to reset that and had Bolin called out for the way he was acting. Season 3 and (so far ) Season 4 are fine. They're not exceptional but they're what I'd expect from the franchise and kid-to-teen writing in general. When you've got President Snows and Voldemorts as the baseline, someone like Kuvira is about what I'd expect.

I wouldn't complain if it was better but I'm not going in expecting it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Season 1 and 2 deserve all the negativity they get imo but 3 and 4 have been, generally, fine. Show still has some poo poo here and there I don't care for and the cast is not particularly strong but they eventually turned the show around into a decent outing in the universe and if they stick the landing I'll get a fascist getting punched in the face with elemental kung fu so I'll be decently content.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Kuvira doesn't have a mustache, therefore she can't be Hitler. QED.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I can see how someone would call Season 2 terrible.
It is actually my friend's favorite season :) I kind of envy him for that and I can understand what he saw in it. To each his own.
Season 3 has been pretty good, especially in the villain department, and Season 4 follows that quite nicely. We've yet to see how it ends and I'll be expecting a poo poo tornado in this thread just in case, but I've got a good feeling.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Korra is a good show, imo. I look forward to the next episode.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Season 2 had a lot of things happen and had some of the best fight scenes. Problem was mostly with early season characterization. Other than that, it really wasn't that bad.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

PiedPiper posted:

It is actually my friend's favorite season :) I kind of envy him for that and I can understand what he saw in it. To each his own.
Season 3 has been pretty good, especially in the villain department, and Season 4 follows that quite nicely. We've yet to see how it ends and I'll be expecting a poo poo tornado in this thread just in case, but I've got a good feeling.

I've come to the conclusion recently that Season 2 is my overall favorite as well--the Mako/Lin storyline was kind of painful, the animation was wonky in the beginning, and Unalaq's motives were never fully explained but I loved the focus on the Avatar lineage and spiritual responsibilities, which were my favorite aspects of the original series. I actually find myself rewatching Season 2 episodes the most, and find myself able to overlook the growing pains in the first six episodes because the overall result is excellent. I thought Season 1 was great until they wobbled in the last two episodes but in retrospect I can see how it fits together with the rest of the series and I have a better appreciation of it. Season 3 was fantastic and so were the first three episodes of season 4--the last two have been slightly disappointing given the quality of the episodes before them but they aren't horrific or anything (except for Meelo).

I think the ending will cause a poo poo tornado no matter how it turns out, but at this point I have my hopes up too. The writers seem to have gotten into a groove.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Bottom line: the show is not the loving West Wing or Battlestar Galactica and it was never supposed to be, get over yourselves and just enjoy it for what it is. Or don't, I'm not the fun police.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

uncleKitchener posted:

Season 2 had a lot of things happen and had some of the best fight scenes. Problem was mostly with early season characterization. Other than that, it really wasn't that bad.

Agreed! Seriously, if it weren't for the thread, I would have NO IDEA the second season has a terrible reputation. Maybe it's just because I'm used to a much lower standard of animation, but I only noticed the lower quality once or twice. I was never annoyed at Bolin, because his movie carreer was hilarious and Varrick is the gift that keeps on giving. Hell, I even liked the two creepy twins - they've got some of the best lines, and they're so creepily awkward, it's great. And, yes, the fight scenes! We've got some strong contenders, but I still think that Bolin SAVING THE PRESIDENT is the fight scene with the best coreography, the best scenery, the best jokes (!) and a serious amount of being badass. Another extremely well-done fight scene is Unalaq vs. Korra's dad - there is a good reason why he comes across as an utter badass, even though he's lost every single fight he's been in so far... It's like an angry ice hockey player could suddenly fly, it's great. Not to mention the seriously great additions to Avatar backstories, including the epic Kaiju showdown with dubstep beams. I don't think anyone's gonna argue that the two Wan episodes weren't peak Avatar. Besides my entirely unreasonable love of Bolin's stupid movie plot, there's also Tenzin's arc, which has a really nice and fitting conclusion, especially with the sibling stories at the start.
Also, a little-known favorite of mine: a short fight scene between Mako, Asami on driving duty (hurrrr) and the Triads on motor boats. Not that terribly important, not the greatest quality, but somewhat stylish.

The actual problems I see didn't bother me that much. Korra's and Mako's romance plot got kinda boring (and, wow, amnesia, that was kinda embarrassing to watch), and the plot didn't really pick up. And Lin was being especially frustrating. And, yes, Unalaq just wasn't that great of a villain... He should've spouted a little more philosophy, maybe interact more with the spirits (we got some insight into that with the library owl, but other than that, not much!). Also, I wish there would've been a little more explanation for Jinora's spirit thingie at the end; it's not even that unreasonable (many posters easily came up with the plausible theory of Raava's teapot)...

I maintain that the worst Avatar episodes have been the last one of S1, plus the first four or five of S2. I enjoyed everything else. Hell, I feel these past few seasons have been a lot more consistently entertaining than most of the original Avatar series. :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hauldren Collider posted:

Bottom line: the show is not the loving West Wing or Battlestar Galactica and it was never supposed to be, get over yourselves and just enjoy it for what it is. Or don't, I'm not the fun police.

I think by now its clear that HitlerKuvira actually has the right idea and this thread does in fact need a secret fun police and fun re-education camps.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i too don't want anyone to engage with my opinion on this show

and my opinion is that short haired korra is good

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Lessail posted:

I hear ya

Katara without hair loopies is good, Zuko with long hair is good, Jinora with no hair is good,

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lessail posted:

Some hosed up poo poo being said in this thread

Read
Dec 21, 2010

This is a good show, which I like, despite there being some problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PiedPiper posted:

Some people think its cheap to use Hitler and fascist villains because its an easy way of making a villain evil. That and a lack of nuance or moral ambiguity.

• Locked thread