Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I tried two separate games as Ethiopia and got torn apart by rebels both times. I couldn't ever convert the Sunnis in my southern provinces and I'm not clear on how I'm supposed to deal with nationalists like in Kaffa at all, especially since I'm pretty sure they were Coptic and an accepted culture. I had been using harsh treatment to stop rebellions before they started, but that was costing me ~150 military points every time.

I was thinking of trying Ethiopia again after I wrap up my Tunis game. My plan was to not integrate any vassals I take until I can reliably convert provinces, so I guess open with religious ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I seem to be getting slowdown whenever a side panel (province etc) is open.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I really really wish I could get the military and naval comparison that the Pick a Rival window gives you in the diplomatic menu, so I don't have to go digging through the ledger every time.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Riso posted:

Which is why archer units should be represented with fire imo.

There's only 1 archer unit, though - Longbows. And you can't mix unit types. An entire army of archers isn't very realistic, so I think the way you interpret setting your unit type to Longbows is to recognize the longbow as kind of the most iconic feature of the army, while you can be sure that the rest of it still includes all other kinds of contemporary troops. Like, there is an army composition there. You just can't see it. It's abstracted into the fire and shock modifiers. Then I kind of look at early generals with really high fire pips as kind of like a general who breaks convention and makes way heavier use of archers than the norm or something.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Getting a lot more instances of the military AI "breaking" than I remember. Playing a game as Poland and Lithuania has a bad habit during wars of just not performing any actions with the vast majority of its army. A quick restart always fixes it but it can be frustrating if I don't notice it for a little while.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OK so, holy poo poo, either something went weird with the scenario here, or AI England won the HRW:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Riso posted:

Which is why archer units should be represented with fire imo.

I would play this. Maybe I should do up a small mod that does these changes and just see if that has unintended consequences. It'd be pretty nice if tech didn't give inf/cav/art a fire/shock multiplier, but that got rolled into the unit stats instead. So instead of cavalry getting 4 shock @ 2x shock multiplier, lategame cavalry just get 8 shock, done. And early game units get offensive/defensive fire due to bows, which goes up with firearms.

Kersch posted:

There's only 1 archer unit, though - Longbows. And you can't mix unit types. An entire army of archers isn't very realistic, so I think the way you interpret setting your unit type to Longbows is to recognize the longbow as kind of the most iconic feature of the army, while you can be sure that the rest of it still includes all other kinds of contemporary troops. Like, there is an army composition there. You just can't see it. It's abstracted into the fire and shock modifiers. Then I kind of look at early generals with really high fire pips as kind of like a general who breaks convention and makes way heavier use of archers than the norm or something.

It would be nice if that representation worked, but fire is useless in the age of bow...for some reason. You could abstract the fire into more generic units, like "medieval infantry", or "pike and bows" or whatnot that all have a bit of fire.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 2, 2014

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Dibujante posted:

It would be nice if that representation worked, but fire is useless in the age of bow...for some reason. You could abstract the fire into more generic units, like "medieval infantry", or "pike and bows" or whatnot that all have a bit of fire.
I'd disagree that it's usless. a 4/5/6 fire general will cause more casualties than a 1 shock general, and they'll be inflicting those casualties before the much more deadly shock phase which is probably when your opponent would be doing the majority of their damage too. It's just far less powerful than shock early one, which is an abstraction I'd agree with. Really, any casualties you ever see in the fire phase before firearms come into play, you can assume are done by archers/skirmishers/etc.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Found this while I was bringing the MP version of EG up to date with AoW. Throw it on the pile with Manga and the King of Gondor:

Prov420 - Ganja

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I wonder why I can't find and buy the muslim pack dlc from steam. Am I blind?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Someone posted it a few pages ago but yes my Monarchs are dying hella fast. Its 1521 as Portugal and I've never had an heir be of age when his predecessor died.

Prop Wash posted:

Huh. I'm not sure if this was always in, but I just had a pretender rise up in, like, Borneo and I was in a war so no way was I dealing with him. So he sieged down whatever crappy province he was in, and then a little ticking bar started. When it finished, he teleported to the capitol, where I immediately destroyed his stack. That's handy!
This is a new feature that allows rebels to move across water to help press their agenda. I guess you got lucky that they "landed" in a province that had an army of yours :v:

Prop Wash posted:

On the other hand, I've had a lot of experiences where rebels will be somehow friendly with the country they're in. Two stacks of Bornean Patriots coexisted happily with Brunei, until I annexed Brunei and they immediately started sieging. Who knows.
This is a known bug, I believe.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Affi posted:

I wonder why I can't find and buy the muslim pack dlc from steam. Am I blind?

You're not blind, it's the 'Digital Extreme Edition' or something like that.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

This is a new feature that allows rebels to move across water to help press their agenda. I guess you got lucky that they "landed" in a province that had an army of yours :v:

I reloaded the save to check it out and it turns out that a) it gave me about a year's warning and b) it told me where they were going. So that's pretty nice, I suppose. You've got plenty of time to prepare.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
I haven't played the game since before the first DLC, now I'm playing again with all the DLCs minus the newest. In brushing up on the trade system, I realized that I'm not sure how up-to-date the info is. Have any important changes been made or wrinkles been added to the trade system in that time? I'm playing as Portugal FWIW.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bort Bortles posted:

This is a known bug, I believe.

Correct; it's one of the issues that the beta hotfix covers.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

DStecks posted:

OK so, holy poo poo, either something went weird with the scenario here, or AI England won the HRW:

Don't know what's going on there, but if you change the starting date by one day and then click again on first bookmark you can actually start the game with England and France not being at war.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Electronico6 posted:

Don't know what's going on there, but if you change the starting date by one day and then click again on first bookmark you can actually start the game with England and France not being at war.

England's diplomacy view in that screenshot has the PU icon though, so it honestly does look like they won the war.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

YF-23 posted:

England's diplomacy view in that screenshot has the PU icon though, so it honestly does look like they won the war.

That is actually the vassal symbol, the PU symbol has two flags crossed behind the crown. I assume they vassalized one of the Irish minors.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

edit: eh ^^^^

YF-23 posted:

That's the vassal icon, the PU icon is two banners and a crown.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I seem to have found a weird bug as while playing as Ethiopia. Vassalizing Funj caused them to change their religion from Coptic to Sunni, so by the time I'd have integrated them they would have converted everything away. Annexing Funj, on the other hand, caused ~12 regiment revolt stacks to instantly pop up in three of their six provinces, despite having no unrest in any of their provinces.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 2, 2014

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Funj gets an event ~25 years after forming that gives them a choice to convert to Sunni, maybe that happened shortly after you vassalized it?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The AI, is even dumber than it was before which is incredibly frustrating when you are relying on aI partners to pull their weight.

This has been really annoying when playing as Castile and being allied with Portugal. Portugal usually gets into a war with Morocco pretty quickly. This would normally give me an early chance to try and eat Grenada and maybe some Morocco provinces, but Portugal is dumb as bricks and just sits there with a 20-stack and 10 cogs instead of actually moving any troops over to siege Morocco's territories, with warscore ticking into the negatives all the while.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Inside Outside posted:

I tried two separate games as Ethiopia and got torn apart by rebels both times. I couldn't ever convert the Sunnis in my southern provinces and I'm not clear on how I'm supposed to deal with nationalists like in Kaffa at all, especially since I'm pretty sure they were Coptic and an accepted culture. I had been using harsh treatment to stop rebellions before they started, but that was costing me ~150 military points every time.

I was thinking of trying Ethiopia again after I wrap up my Tunis game. My plan was to not integrate any vassals I take until I can reliably convert provinces, so I guess open with religious ideas?

Open with Humanist ideas and you can take basically as much territory as you want and hold it with minimal trouble until you can start converting reliably. It's what I did with my Ethiopia game and it's working great.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
So, playing as Songhai I had a bunch of Bambara Patriots rise up and demand to defect to... Songhai. Well, uh, sure guys, we'll accept those demands. You crazy idiots.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

I think what happened was that I picked a 1444 bookmark that wasn't the HYW bookmark, so maybe the war is only set to happen in that specific one? :shrug:

Like immediately after I made that post I realized that the war probably never happened at all. Yet. France still has cores on England's continental holdings, so there may be a conflict yet...

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Inside Outside posted:

You're suppose to let rebellions happen and then fight them, rather than prevent them entirely. Once they revolt, they get a -20 modifier to revolting again, which usually lasts until whatever they were pissed about goes away. They can be very powerful, sure, but you can normally fight them. You use harsh treatment if you are in a tough spot and can't afford a rebellion at the current moment. Also, if you are getting nationalists, try vassalizing nations instead of annexing them. You don't get nationalists if you integrate a nation peacefully, and I believe the autonomy is naturally lower.

Rising Autonomy is also a good idea if you can't handle the rebels in your current state, because whats 10% less tax compared to losing the territory entirely?

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
I've played a bunch of games as different nations West of India. I was looking to try out something in the far east, preferably in China. Anyone have a recommendation on a fun nation to play and maybe some general goals? I really have no idea how the game plays out in the far east and I'm going to be using this game to try out Art of War.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to disable that moronic mod version check in the launcher? I can't listen to WE HAVE CASUS BELLI! anymore. :(

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Poil posted:

Is there a way to disable that moronic mod version check in the launcher? I can't listen to WE HAVE CASUS BELLI! anymore. :(

Just find the .mod file for it in your mods folder, open it with notepad++, and add "supported_verison=1" to a new line. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 2, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VerdantSquire posted:

Just find the .mod file for it in your mods folder, open it with notepad++, and add "supported_verison=1" to a new line. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.
Awesome, thank you.

I am an idiot. The mod folder under my documents? The .mod files are just one line of text. And adding that line does nothing.

Finally got it to work, the correct text is supported_version="1"
Although one critical mod is still refusing to work despite that. Goddamnit. Screw you paradox. :argh:

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 3, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So, in the dev diaries Theodoro and Naples seem to have different flags than they do in AoW proper. What's up with that and how can I get them :v

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kersch posted:

I'd disagree that it's usless. a 4/5/6 fire general will cause more casualties than a 1 shock general, and they'll be inflicting those casualties before the much more deadly shock phase which is probably when your opponent would be doing the majority of their damage too. It's just far less powerful than shock early one, which is an abstraction I'd agree with. Really, any casualties you ever see in the fire phase before firearms come into play, you can assume are done by archers/skirmishers/etc.

Except with all the multipliers applied (in the early game), a 5-fire general getting a reasonable roll will inflict around 100 kills a day, whereas a 5-shock will retaliate with 5 times that much damage.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 3, 2014

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
It's been too long since I've played this game.

Beat Albania in a war to take it (I've got a core on it) and I sent a White Peace demand instead of full annexation. :suicide:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Roadie posted:

This has been really annoying when playing as Castile and being allied with Portugal. Portugal usually gets into a war with Morocco pretty quickly. This would normally give me an early chance to try and eat Grenada and maybe some Morocco provinces, but Portugal is dumb as bricks and just sits there with a 20-stack and 10 cogs instead of actually moving any troops over to siege Morocco's territories, with warscore ticking into the negatives all the while.

On the other hand, this is a very cool feature I like in my Morocco game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I haven't played EU4 for a long time, Kept waiting for the "next" expansion to come out then forgetting about the game then reading there's another expansion and waiting. This weekend I bought wealth of nations, art of war, and something about republics.

What's the quick and dirty about what's most changed since these 3 expansions?

I'm playing Bohemia right now and doing really well but trade seems quite different. I control about 90% of the provinces around the node in Saxony, yet about 90% of the trade value is leaving the node to go on to Lubec and other nodes. How can my trade power be so weak compared to all these powers that only hold 1 or 2 provinces (or none at all). It seems they're getting all their trade power from 'downstream nodes' which I guess act like big vacuums that suck from every node upstream from them. Is there anything I can do to prevent this and retail more value in my home node? I'm caving out a nice central and eastern European empire but the tiny Hansa and all the poo poo heads in Lubec are stealin' all my trade. I dominate all the nodes feeding Saxony so I'm stearing tons of trade to my node but it seems I'm mostly just lining Lubec's purse rather than my own.

If this was a sea node I'd just park a ton of my ships and get trade power, but other than build all the trade buildings (which I've done) I struggle to get above 11% power, despite owning 90% of the provinces that make up the node. I don't want to expand east anymore as I want to keep my empire as slavic as possible, but short of conquering Lubec I don't know what to do. I took trade ideas but my merchants seem wasted. Am I missing some new land node mechanic?

I guess playing a central european land power I'm missing out on most of the features in the expansion packs. I'm not a republic, I'm not colonizing, and I'm certainly not in India.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Baronjutter posted:

So I haven't played EU4 for a long time, Kept waiting for the "next" expansion to come out then forgetting about the game then reading there's another expansion and waiting. This weekend I bought wealth of nations, art of war, and something about republics.

What's the quick and dirty about what's most changed since these 3 expansions?

I'm playing Bohemia right now and doing really well but trade seems quite different. I control about 90% of the provinces around the node in Saxony, yet about 90% of the trade value is leaving the node to go on to Lubec and other nodes. How can my trade power be so weak compared to all these powers that only hold 1 or 2 provinces (or none at all). It seems they're getting all their trade power from 'downstream nodes' which I guess act like big vacuums that suck from every node upstream from them. Is there anything I can do to prevent this and retail more value in my home node? I'm caving out a nice central and eastern European empire but the tiny Hansa and all the poo poo heads in Lubec are stealin' all my trade. I dominate all the nodes feeding Saxony so I'm stearing tons of trade to my node but it seems I'm mostly just lining Lubec's purse rather than my own.

If this was a sea node I'd just park a ton of my ships and get trade power, but other than build all the trade buildings (which I've done) I struggle to get above 11% power, despite owning 90% of the provinces that make up the node. I don't want to expand east anymore as I want to keep my empire as slavic as possible, but short of conquering Lubec I don't know what to do. I took trade ideas but my merchants seem wasted. Am I missing some new land node mechanic?

I guess playing a central european land power I'm missing out on most of the features in the expansion packs. I'm not a republic, I'm not colonizing, and I'm certainly not in India.

The Hansa (and other merchant republics) get a huge bonus to steering trade from inland nodes due to their government form, national ideas, and normal idea picks. It's going to be very easy for them to swipe most of it away. Your consolation prize is that when merchant republics trade in your node, it gives every province in that node which they don't own a big bonus to production. So even if you're losing most of the trade, you're getting the production benefit at least.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
So I'm playing with a random new world and I'm getting colonies with no trade goods, even after they turn into full provinces. (Apparently a known issue.) Is there a way to assign them one using events?

There are events to give provinces any type of trade good, but it gives them to a random province and Lisbon probably shouldn't be making fur :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wegee posted:

I've played a bunch of games as different nations West of India. I was looking to try out something in the far east, preferably in China. Anyone have a recommendation on a fun nation to play and maybe some general goals? I really have no idea how the game plays out in the far east and I'm going to be using this game to try out Art of War.

Well China is mainly playing as Ming, although I suppose you could start as Ming, immediately release every single possible nation, and then choose to play as the very last vassal you create. That could be fun!

If you're opposed to that kind of jackassery, give Ayutthaya a try. They start in modern-day Thailand, their ideas are mostly stability-related with a few income modifiers scattered in, and you've got a ton of directions to go in. To the north you've got a big Buddhist hugparty, although it can become a little fragile if and when the Hindus and Sunnis to the west come calling. Past them is Ming, which is monolithic but mostly dealing with its own issues, and between you and them is Dai Viet, who is fairly weak but has increased coring cost, so gently caress them. To the south is Malacca, which will eventually become your biggest rival, and to the east is a bunch of unclaimed land. So you have a lot of options, and then after the early game if you start blobbin' then you start going toe-to-toe with whoever takes over the Indian subcontinent and maybe eventually whichever Western powers come sniffing around.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

stranger danger posted:

So I'm playing with a random new world and I'm getting colonies with no trade goods, even after they turn into full provinces. (Apparently a known issue.) Is there a way to assign them one using events?

There are events to give provinces any type of trade good, but it gives them to a random province and Lisbon probably shouldn't be making fur :v:

If you're consoling the event, you should be typing in the province id after the event number to make it fire for the right place. You can generally find them in history/provinces (psst Paradox people, give us a showprovid command like in Vicky 2 please :)), but some have slight variations on the right name so you may not be able to find it without using notepad++'s Find in Files option. Other than that you could probably edit the save file. Otherwise wait for the patch I guess :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krill Nye
Feb 25, 2010

Science rules!

Allyn posted:

If you're consoling the event, you should be typing in the province id after the event number to make it fire for the right place. You can generally find them in history/provinces (psst Paradox people, give us a showprovid command like in Vicky 2 please :)), but some have slight variations on the right name so you may not be able to find it without using notepad++'s Find in Files option. Other than that you could probably edit the save file. Otherwise wait for the patch I guess :(

Entering debug_mode into the console will show you prov ids on mouse over!

• Locked thread