Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And speaking of rockets that (thankfully) never had to be used but are awesome as gently caress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_%28missile%29

"The Sprint accelerated at 100 g, reaching a speed of Mach 10 in 5 seconds."

The Sprint should just get linked every page on general principles, it really is the best thing.

EDIT: talk about timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xthetenth posted:

The Sprint should just get linked every page on general principles, it really is the best thing.

EDIT: talk about timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZGaMt7UgQ

The part during the tracking test where the missile goes from dark to white at about 0:23? That's not light reflection, that's the skin of the missile reaching something like 3-4000 degrees.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Mortabis posted:

It's early cold war stuff so I figure this might be a good place to ask: does anybody know of any good books or articles on the Forest Brothers in the Baltics?

http://www.amazon.com/War-Woods-Mart-Laar/dp/0929590082/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

This is a decent history of the Forest Brothers in Estonia.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Oh hey, it's 28 North just past 267. I always wondered what was in that weird inverted glass trapezoid building.

I think Russia's state media has managed, yet again, to one-up Fox News. Prior to the launch, it's a "Rossiesko-Amerikanskoi" rocket launch. (Pardon my terrible Cyrillic transliteration).

After the failure it's an "Amerikano-Ukrainskaya" rocket launch.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Is there anything that does? My knowledge of chemistry is also basically high school level (though I did enjoy it) but I don't remember any compounds that had them.

A cursory google says that some of the transition metals do. My guess as to why they aren't useful in explosive chemistry is that the elements involve more readily form less energetic bonds. Interestingly, Nebakenezzer's question is common enough that MadSci has a written summary of why carbon doesn't from quadruple bonds.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Waldstein Sonata posted:

Oh hey, it's 28 North just past 267. I always wondered what was in that weird inverted glass trapezoid building.

I think Russia's state media has managed, yet again, to one-up Fox News. Prior to the launch, it's a "Rossiesko-Amerikanskoi" rocket launch. (Pardon my terrible Cyrillic transliteration).

After the failure it's an "Amerikano-Ukrainskaya" rocket launch.

Really? I know the Russian propaganda machine is well beyond ridiculous, but who are they trying fool? It's no secret to anyone and even their own people they've been sell rocket motors to us for years.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Back Hack posted:

Really? I know the Russian propaganda machine is well beyond ridiculous, but who are they trying fool? It's no secret to anyone and even their own people they've been sell rocket motors to us for years.

It's true though. You can tell it's Ukranian because the Russian bits made it explode.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZGaMt7UgQ

The part during the tracking test where the missile goes from dark to white at about 0:23? That's not light reflection, that's the skin of the missile reaching something like 3-4000 degrees.

wasn't the skin ablative, too? IIRC it just turned to plasma

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

That's not a UFO above the other plane, is it? :tinfoil: :ohdear:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I would have thought she'd wear a swim cap or something to keep the hair out of her face, or at least use hairclips to keep it out of the way.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think the guy in the second Falcon is through the horns.

Edit: that right there is professional level photo bombing.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 3, 2014

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mortabis posted:

I would have thought she'd wear a swim cap or something to keep the hair out of her face, or at least use hairclips to keep it out of the way.

that's actually the first thing I thought too. I mean that picture is photo-genic as hell, but yeah.

Then again I'm a little surprised they don't wear nomex hoods as part of flight kit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hubis posted:

that's actually the first thing I thought too. I mean that picture is photo-genic as hell, but yeah.

Then again I'm a little surprised they don't wear nomex hoods as part of flight kit.

That poo poo is hot and uncomfortable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Alaan posted:

I think the guy in the second Falcon is through the horns.

Edit: that right there is professional level photo bombing.

Good eye. Pro indeed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hubis posted:

Most people wear some kind of snoopy cap or bandana under their helmet; that thing starts to smell revolting after long enough, so you definitely want some kind of lining.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Everything about that pic screams "incentive flight" so I'd guess she'd never thought about how to put her hair under a helmet before.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

xthetenth posted:

It's true though. You can tell it's Ukranian because the Russian bits made it explode.

Needs more love

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Everything about that pic screams "incentive flight" so I'd guess she'd never thought about how to put her hair under a helmet before.

That's what I figured as well. And if you don't get the best fit with the helmet it'd probably mess things up too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
"Incentive flight" = back seat passenger?

Sorta what I thought when I saw the hair too.

PO-LEECE THOSE BANGS

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah. It's usually give to someone for winning an award, or saving the wing commander's kid from drowning or whatever. A fam ride (familiarization) is usually academy cadets on a pilot track, or a few career fields that can do it during training. I feel bad for the Air Battle Manager students now that the F-22 is all that's flying out of Tyndall...back in the day an F-15 ride was actually part of the syllabus. I can't remember which type they call it when they bring a celebrity up.

Edit: It might be worth noting that these generally aren't special flights in any other way, they just use a 2-seat model on an already-scheduled flight. Generally a normal training mission. Mine was a 4v4 which degraded as everybody ran out of gas. We had extra because my pilot was the Stan/Eval chief, and he had to run a new approach pattern to validate it for something or other. Which was kind of cool because I got to take some good local scenery photos...my apartment, the paper mill, etc.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 3, 2014

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Most people wear some kind of snoopy cap or bandana under their helmet; that thing starts to smell revolting after long enough, so you definitely want some kind of lining.
I only know one guy who does it; gives a WW2 bomber vibe at step.

Smell's not an issue with helmets since AFE cleans them after every flight; It's the poopie suits you need to worry about.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 3, 2014

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Dominoes posted:

I only know one guy who does it; gives a WW2 bomber vibe at step.

Smell's not an issue with helmets since AFE cleans them after every flight; It's the poopie suits you need to worry about.

I'll bite, tell me about poopie suits.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dark Helmut posted:

I'll bite, tell me about poopie suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWKZ11toaXY

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

never gets old

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

VikingSkull posted:

never gets old

"I've got a lump in my throat."
"I've got a lump in my poopie suit!"

When I saw that episode as a kid, I thought they said "coopie suit." Still thought it was hilarious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Capn Jobe posted:

"I've got a lump in my throat."
"I've got a lump in my poopie suit!"

When I saw that episode as a kid, I thought they said "coopie suit." Still thought it was hilarious.

There's a story about Hoser Satrapa and his RIO getting ready for ops and he supposedly asked him "hey, do farts have lumps?" When he got "no" back, he said "okay, you preflight, I'll be back in fifteen minutes."

...and that wasn't the only story of Hoser making GBS threads himself in that book. -_o

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's a story about Hoser Satrapa and his RIO getting ready for ops and he supposedly asked him "hey, do farts have lumps?" When he got "no" back, he said "okay, you preflight, I'll be back in fifteen minutes."

...and that wasn't the only story of Hoser making GBS threads himself in that book. -_o

What book is this?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

loving lol

every fighter pilot I've ever met was a self-absorbed douche that somehow overcomes that by also being hilarious, intelligent, and amazingly charming

it's awesome

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

VikingSkull posted:

loving lol

every fighter pilot I've ever met was a self-absorbed douche

:sigh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hey, I qualified it by pointing out that they overcame that by being totally rad dudes

no one's perfect, and I'd imagine being that next level of confidence is how you land the job in the first place

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
N4I was a crew chief, I don't think he's offended by you disparaging pilots.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mortabis posted:

N4I was a crew chief, I don't think he's offended by you disparaging pilots.

Correct I was agreeing with it.

My most demoralizing day in the Air Force was spending an entire Friday launching and recovering my jet (an F-15D) from high speed taxi rides for pilots' wives.

And the last fucker brought it back code 3 (broken) :argh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
oh ok, haha

to be fair then when I worked at Stewart I ran into a bunch of C-5 and C-130 chiefs and you guys are always chill as gently caress, heavy drinkers, and have better stories

so there's that

e- I'd run into the Air Force jocks occasionally down at the Newburgh waterfront at the nice bar (in uniform of course) if they were in for a stopover or to train the ANG guys or whatever. Mostly cool dudes. I'd run into you guys all the time at Burger King on my lunchbreak, in their work poo poo, and always related much more to that.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 4, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Shooting Blanks posted:

What book is this?

Bye, Bye... Baby!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

VikingSkull posted:

loving lol

every fighter pilot I've ever met was a self-absorbed douche that somehow overcomes that by also being hilarious, intelligent, and amazingly charming

it's awesome

I met an ex-F-15 pilot in a bar. He was flying for UPS (as a co-pilot). He was awesome and on the quiet side and modest. His bald Captain on the other hand was a Grade-A wanker, said he should phone his kid and ask how the little league game went (but ordered another beer instead) and then went on a tirade about "Sand Niggers".

Score 1 for the fighter pilots.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, we had a few retired guys who flew private poo poo like Citation II's come pick them up from our shop and they were like that, too. I think the cockiness only applies to the active jocks.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, we had a few retired guys who flew private poo poo like Citation II's come pick them up from our shop and they were like that, too. I think the cockiness only applies to the active jocks.

If you went from flying a Ferrari to an 18-wheeler, you'd probably drop a few notches on the cockiness scale too.

E: I guess this was more directed at the F-15/cargo pilot, but whatever.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/us/f-35-fighter-carrier-landing/index.html

F-35 made it's first tailhook landing on the Nimitz today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How many fatalities?