Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Amon - Communism
I'm just going to say, I never understood why that interpretation was so popular. Amon's rhetorics about benders always made him feel more like a take on Hitler and Nazism, his take on equality is about a biological difference rather than stopping the exploitation of the working class.

Rosalind posted:

Unalaq - Religious Fundamentalism
Never got that one either, although that's probably more because "religion" and "faith" in the Avatar Universe are somewhat poorly defined, and as a result Unalaq's cause was always nebulous beyond his hunger for power.

Jimbot posted:

I did take issue with Toph's bone-headed evaluation of previous season's antagonists. It felt like she was a writer's surrogate tell the audience that these monsters had good ideas when, in fact, two of the three of them were clearly monsters. Zaheer was at least honest about his philosophy
I agree with your general sentiment, but I think it's easy to make a case that Amon took the concept of equality and took it to a dark, twisted place, just like Zaheer did with the concept of freedom.

Unalaq was just an rear end in a top hat. Which is too bad because I think his goals could have really made an easy set-up for a villain who had good intentions and goals but that the heroes still fought because of various misunderstandings and the apparent insanity of his plans.

PiedPiper posted:

And what does GODWIN VILLAIN even mean?
That concept does make little sense.

uncleKitchener posted:

Season 2 had a lot of things happen and had some of the best fight scenes. Problem was mostly with early season characterization. Other than that, it really wasn't that bad.
I wouldn't agree about the fight scenes. The early season in particular was bad, with special mention for that lame-rear end fight against Eska and Desna in the fifth episode. Those two were supposed to be the Big Bad's best henchmen, couldn't their one real fight have been a good one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Amon was literally the opposite of Hitler. He was fighting against the Bender Übermensch. He wanted everyone to be equal, so he tried to take away everyone's bending. Didn't Stalin enforce communism by sending all the rich people to the gulags? That's kind of the same thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Amon is actually a riff on Bane in the Dark Knight Rises, who uses existing tensions to power his movement but is in reality focused on revenge due to daddy issues (Ra's being Bane's metaphorical father).

Notice also that Amon is fully depowered when his "mask" comes off (i.e., the facepaint as well as him masking his bending abilities), much like Bane is when Batman fucks with his mask.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Some people think its cheap to use Hitler and fascist villains because its an easy way of making a villain evil. That and a lack of nuance or moral ambiguity.

Ozai is literally Hitler, though. Same goes for Wehrmacht-like army of the Fire Nation. I rarely hear people opine against that.

Kuvira is not a villain because she's hitlery. She's a villain because she's a powerhungry warmonger who doesn't think human lives are worth that much. And the good part is, it has been SHOWN and not TOLD. There aren't even that many allusions to Third Reich, to be honest, and many of those shown could be attributed to pretty much any tyrannical regime. You have to remember that, for its own part, Fascism (both Italian Fascism and German Nazism) relied on ancient imagery of cold grandeur, homoerotic machoism, and large scale constructions. It was basically a distilled form of despotism.

PiedPiper fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 3, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

Amon is actually a riff on Bane in the Dark Knight Rises, who uses existing tensions to power his movement but is in reality focused on revenge due to daddy issues (Ra's being Bane's metaphorical father).
How can Amon be a riff when season 1 of Korra ended an entire month before TDKR came out

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

How can Amon be a riff when season 1 of Korra ended an entire month before TDKR came out

IIRC it was common knowledge that Bane was tied to the League of Shadows long before the movie came out so you don't need to know the particulars of the story to make a similar theme (like, you don't need to know about Talia at all).

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

I hear ya

Katara without hair loopies is good, Zuko with long hair is good, Jinora with no hair is good,

Agree with 1 and 2 but bald women is weird sorry

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Some hosed up poo poo being said in this thread

wow harsh much? I can tell my opinion is unpopular and not wanted in such a hotbed of assholes

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

IIRC it was common knowledge that Bane was tied to the League of Shadows long before the movie came out so you don't need to know the particulars of the story to make a similar theme (like, you don't need to know about Talia at all).
It always baffles me when people seem to think Legend of Korra has the same production process as South Park.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Hello. I cannot enjoy this children's anime which airs on Nickelodeon unless it has enough stuff i recognize from my 101 level government class.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Me too. Korra and Bane, by dint of scheduling and animation time, had NOTHING to do with one another.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Unalaq - Religious Fundamentalism

X_Toad posted:

Never got that one either, although that's probably more because "religion" and "faith" in the Avatar Universe are somewhat poorly defined, and as a result Unalaq's cause was always nebulous beyond his hunger for power.

I think theocracy is a better term to use to get Rosalind's point across.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theocracy

Sounds like Vaatu and Unalaq to me.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
I liked the mech fight.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think the biggest problem with The Legend of Korra is that even though it's (some most a lot of the time a really entertaining show, there is not a single character that even approaches Zuko in terms of development. A huge part of that is that Book 1 of Korra was made with the assumption that it was all they were gonna get and they wanted to wrap everything up. And you can criticize that decision, say it was really stupid that they weren't willing to take a risk that in hindsight would have obviously paid off, like it did when they wrote Avatar as a three season show not knowing if they were going to get more than the initial 13 episode order, and you'd have a solid argument. But you could also say that, considering that pre-production was plagued by worries of Nickelodeon executives who thought boys wouldn't watch an action-adventure show where the main character was a g-g-g-GIRL, along with the failure of the movie we don't talk about, it is pretty understandable that Mike and Bryan didn't want to risk being like "HEY GUYS, NEW AVATAR AFTER THREE YEARS! oh by the way it ends on a cliffhanger and is never getting finished and we can't tell you what happens because Nickelodeon owns the property."
Not that it's all Nickelodeon's fault. The massive step back everyone takes as a character in Book 2 is all on the writers, as is the nonsensicalness of what Jinora did at the end of that season, and Unalaq's terribly defined motives. But I think we could have had a lot of problems solved if Nickelodeon just said "We're done when you say we're done."

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think the biggest problem with The Legend of Korra is that even though it's (some most a lot of the time a really entertaining show, there is not a single character that even approaches Zuko in terms of development.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Zuko and his character development added a lot to the original show, but the original didn't depend entirely on character development to make itself great: Toph is extremely popular and her character development was pretty minimal, and everybody loves incidental characters like Foamy and the cabbage merchant (come to think of it, there are very few incidental characters like that in Korra). This franchise has always been a combination of story and character and that's why it's packed such a big punch.

I don't necessarily think it's Nick's fault either: other shows have had weirdness with executive commitment and the writing hasn't really suffered. Nick also committed pretty quickly to three additional seasons: it wasn't like they waited until each season was over to decide whether they would commit to more episodes. We also haven't heard much about executive interference since pre-production of the first season, so it's not like Nick's watching the episodes and saying they want 70% more fartbending every episode or something--the only thing I've heard along those lines was Nick objecting to a proposed ComicCon poster and wanting something more family-friendly. I view the release issues as a different problem.

I think that, like you said, the writers played a role, but I think they're more responsible than you give them credit for. I think that for the most part Korra's characters are fine/great (especially the adult characters) but the writers haven't been giving them storylines that help them shine. That's been improving lately. Are we going to get another Zuko? Signs point to no, but I like the characters enough in this series that it doesn't really matter to me.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Sato posted:

I think theocracy is a better term to use to get Rosalind's point across.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theocracy

Sounds like Vaatu and Unalaq to me.

Yeah that's fair.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think the biggest problem with The Legend of Korra is that even though it's (some most a lot of the time a really entertaining show, there is not a single character that even approaches Zuko in terms of development. A huge part of that is that Book 1 of Korra was made with the assumption that it was all they were gonna get and they wanted to wrap everything up. And you can criticize that decision, say it was really stupid that they weren't willing to take a risk that in hindsight would have obviously paid off, like it did when they wrote Avatar as a three season show not knowing if they were going to get more than the initial 13 episode order, and you'd have a solid argument. But you could also say that, considering that pre-production was plagued by worries of Nickelodeon executives who thought boys wouldn't watch an action-adventure show where the main character was a g-g-g-GIRL, along with the failure of the movie we don't talk about, it is pretty understandable that Mike and Bryan didn't want to risk being like "HEY GUYS, NEW AVATAR AFTER THREE YEARS! oh by the way it ends on a cliffhanger and is never getting finished and we can't tell you what happens because Nickelodeon owns the property."
Not that it's all Nickelodeon's fault. The massive step back everyone takes as a character in Book 2 is all on the writers, as is the nonsensicalness of what Jinora did at the end of that season, and Unalaq's terribly defined motives. But I think we could have had a lot of problems solved if Nickelodeon just said "We're done when you say we're done."

I totally agree. The feeling I constantly get is that Bryke spent so much time battling Nickelodeon and their absolutely irrational treatment of the show that they just didn't have the time, energy, or even just the knowledge that the show was going to be on the air the next week to do anything larger or more complex than what they did. And whatever yeah we didn't get the pure amazingness that was the original series books 2 and 3, but we did get some pretty great characters (Zaheer, Varrick) and well-executed episodes (Avatar Wan's story, Korra Alone, pretty much all of Book 3).

Also I am a big fan of Korra and her hard-headedness, her struggles with depression (and interestingly, implied suicidal ideation), and her overarching theme of trying to figure out what it means when your only identity is "The Avatar" in a world where everyone is telling you that you're not needed anymore.

On a barely related lighter note, I also went as Korra for Halloween this year and can I just say that I understand why she wears that pelt around her butt all-the-time. It was freezing cold here, but my buns were always nice and warm.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sato posted:

everybody loves incidental characters like Foamy and the cabbage merchant (come to think of it, there are very few incidental characters like that in Korra).
After rewatching season one I enjoyed seeing "this old codger and his spirit pals!"

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Also I am a big fan of Korra and her hard-headedness, her struggles with depression (and interestingly, implied suicidal ideation), and her overarching theme of trying to figure out what it means when your only identity is "The Avatar" in a world where everyone is telling you that you're not needed anymore.

On a barely related lighter note, I also went as Korra for Halloween this year and can I just say that I understand why she wears that pelt around her butt all-the-time. It was freezing cold here, but my buns were always nice and warm.

You know, I liked Zuko, but Korra is the only character in this franchise that has really, truly resonated with me on a personal level (though Tenzin's close). I loved Aang but his story didn't really connect with me until the final four episodes of his series. Korra has appealed to me from the beginning, even through her most boneheaded moments. She's a great series lead.

I've always wondered about Korra's winter gear. That skimpy fur poncho doesn't look particularly warm, especially in midwinter like in Season 2. It has short(ish) sleeves!

Jackard posted:

After rewatching season one I enjoyed seeing "this old codger and his spirit pals!"

I was waiting for him to show up again! I'm very disappointed Cabbage Corp hasn't become more of a running gag--just a mention in Season 3 about their crappy products. I'm surprised they're still in business what with Varrick and Asami being major players.

Sato fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 3, 2014

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I think Zhu Lee is sincere about serving Kuvira. Throughout the entire series she's been treated like a glorified pack mule. She does all sorts of harsh, demeaning work for Varrick and never once got so much as a thank you. His incompetence during the mech fight didn't help his case when they were eventually defeated. I think she finally reached her breaking point last episode and realized that being a thankless slave is getting her nowhere.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 3, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sitchelin posted:

I think Zhu Lee is sincere about serving Kuvira. Throughout the entire series she's been treated like a glorified pack mule. She does all sorts of harsh, demeaning work for Varrick and never once got so much as a thank you. His incompetence during the mech fight didn't help his case when they were eventually defeated. I think she finally reached her breaking point last episode and realized that being a thankless slave is getting her nowhere.

He also didn't hesitate even for a second to save her life when things went wrong.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sitchelin posted:

You seem to think Korra is a show which approaches character relationships with even a modicum of reality. You should probably stop that.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Please don't question Zhu Li's loyalty thank you.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

sitchelin posted:

Zhu Li is a freak and loves to get treated like crap

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I have strong opinions about this dumb faux anime quick let me tell them to you *faaaaaaaaaaaaart*

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

He named the flagship of his armada after her. You don't do that for someone you don't have feelings for.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Xand_Man posted:

He named the flagship of his armada after her. You don't do that for someone you don't have feelings for.

I'm kind of expecting the official explanation for him naming a unit of weight measurement after her to be something super sappy, like her life is the only weight that matters or something.

Basically I'm expecting some Tony Stark/Pepper Potts bullshit to round out the steampunk Iron Man vibe.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

sitchelin posted:

Zhu Lee has been through so much crap for Varrick. Why would she suddenly turn on him now?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Zhu Lee has been through so much crap for Varrick. Why would she suddenly turn on him now?

Because Kuvira has an army and since she was Varrick's assistant and probably did all the work anyway, she probably knows how to re-setup those machines again for the spirit vine lasers?

That's my guess at least, I dunno what else to assume.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I'm certain it was just a ruse by Zhu Lee. What I'm interested in is whether Kuvira truly bought it or not.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why compare Kuvira to Hitler? We don't know if she leans left or right. The Soviets and the Khmer Rouge also ran camps for dissidents.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Why compare Kuvira to Hitler? We don't know if she leans left or right. The Soviets and the Khmer Rouge also ran camps for dissidents.

Hitler's the go-to comparison for all things authoritarian.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Hitler's the go-to comparison for all things authoritarian.
This.

Because you mention Francisco Franco and people go "who?", hell even though Stalin/Mao have a higher scores they did it to their own people, so Hilter is the go to dictator.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PiedPiper posted:

I'm certain it was just a ruse by Zhu Lee. What I'm interested in is whether Kuvira truly bought it or not.

Completely bought into it, from the looks of things.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just make Kuvira the avatar. Thanks.

edit:
Zhu Lee was probably sincere when she joined Kuvira but Varrick will do something she thinks is romantic and turn on Kuvira at some point. Varrick's romanticism will either end up being sincere or a misinterpretation.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 3, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Just make Zhu Lee the avatar. Thanks.

ftfy

One thing I've always wondered, what became of the Northern Air temple? Is it still a center for invention? Or learning? Is it a museum dedicated to the Machinist and his inventions? Is it still populated by hangliding enthusiasts?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

ftfy

One thing I've always wondered, what became of the Northern Air temple? Is it still a center for invention? Or learning? Is it a museum dedicated to the Machinist and his inventions? Is it still populated by hangliding enthusiasts?

Peanut sauce and munitions factory.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

ftfy

It was destroyed by Ghazan at the end of last season. There were no mechanists or enthusiasts at the time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Baron Bifford posted:

Kuvira has literal fascist blackshirts running around in Republic City.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Rincewind posted:

Kuvira has literal fascist blackshirts running around in Republic City.

I like that the blackshirts were apparently operating a Kuvira t-shirt stand in Republic City. Like they're going to beat up and Earth Kingdom monarchists, but also do some screenprinting on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jorghnassen posted:

It was destroyed by Ghazan at the end of last season. There were no mechanists or enthusiasts at the time.

...I must not have been paying attention, or just didn't realise that was supposed to be the Northern temple. There weren't even any pipes!

• Locked thread