Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Cutscene Jensen was sorta produced independently from the game, courtesy of Square-Enix. The most logical conclusion is that Jensen got CASIE'd, and didn't even realize it. There's a couple of terminals/emails that talk about Zhao and her having some crazy-high-caliber CASIE-augs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

SpookyLizard posted:

Cutscene Jensen was sorta produced independently from the game, courtesy of Square-Enix. The most logical conclusion is that Jensen got CASIE'd, and didn't even realize it. There's a couple of terminals/emails that talk about Zhao and her having some crazy-high-caliber CASIE-augs.

On top of having top-tier augs to manipulate people, she's part of a global conspiracy to control the world specifically because of her stellar ability to manipulate people (something literally says right after she manipulates Jensen, a person). Also Jensen's entire motivation is guilt over not saving his ex-girlfriend so maybe he wouldn't immediately shoot an unarmed woman begging for her life and offering to help him. :shrug:

The game has its flaws to be sure, but the one scene everybody freaks out about involves all the characters acting along their established personalities.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Final Fantasy X-2 HD, mainly the added content:
- your Bomb type fiends really like to use Charon, which is a powerful attack, but leaves them dead with no way of reviving them in the battle, only after it - which means they don't get EXP, and leveling up raises the Fiend Story level (their personal stories about who they were before and the like). They are tedious to level outside the Fiend Arena which sometimes automatically raises the Story level just for winning a Cup, regardless of being dead or alive in the final battle.
- Shinra is being shown as some kind of invincible badass for some reason - staring down fiends, defeating Behemoths single-handedly, hovering and generally being superhuman; it's really jarring and I don't think it meshes well with the character. And even though I know where this is going it still does not make any sense to me.
- my Blitzball players keep getting injured and having to go to the hospital!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

bewilderment posted:

The Malik ambush, sure, I took a look on youtube to notice that there were several clear paths around the area. But the end of Tai Yong Medical, I did myself. You have access to the entire floor before you hit the end of it and trigger the cutscene, and by that point in the game you should be exploring every nook and cranny for vents and stuff. I ghosted that part my first time through.

I just threw a flash grenade in the middle of the group and made a break for it

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kazil posted:

(The hacking minigame in AP is also the literal worst hacking minigame of all time)
Finding the words/numbers in the jumble?
Works fine with a controller.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Croccers posted:

Finding the words/numbers in the jumble?
Works fine with a controller.

I think one of the problems with minigames on PC is that they're optimized for a controller although you'd most likely play with a keyboard and a mice. Also, the minigames rise in difficulty throughout the game and even with a high level in hacking it still better to use EMPs to bypass them instead of trying to fight with controls.

Generally I only play the game on easy+Veteran now, which allows for a greater flexibility in skills and approach for missions (for example, Byarko is far easier after you had contacted Heck, but it shouldn't be necessary).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 3's unlock system is mother loving bananas and I hate the way it works. Y'know that mystery cube in the Hellraiser series that is actually like some kind of demon summoning enigma and nobody can figure out how it functions except that it summons the aforementioned demons? Dead Space 3's NG+ and unlock system is like that. I'll try to explain in words how it works.

Okay so first off, you can go to NG+ at any time at any point in the game on any difficulty. All this does is create a new save file on the difficulty of your choice, carrying over your weapons, resources (basically crafting components), and suit upgrades. It functions kinda like Dead Rising's playthrough system where at any point you can just go 'gently caress it' and start over with your current resources and completion intact.

Things get loving weird when you start mixing in other difficulties. Dead Space 3 has 4 difficulties: Casual, Normal, Hard, and Impossible. Upon beating the game you unlock three more difficulties: Classic, Pure Survival, and Hardcore. The latter three can only be accessed by going to the NG+ option on a regular game save, selecting them, and making a whole new save slot for that playthrough.

Then at any point you can go to NG+ for that save game in the same fashion but the option is pointless and serves no purpose because those 3 all start you from a new game with 0 resources every time.

The problem with this is that all of these different save games do not carry over their rewards into each other. For some retarded unknown reason there is no "Overall Player Progress Save" like there is in Dead Rising. All of the data and all of the progress and unlockables is on a by-save-game basis, meaning Hardcore mode's you-beat-the-game unlocks can only be used if you select the NG+ option on your Hardcore save and make a new one on a different difficulty. The same goes for the rest of the difficulties.

So, if I want to play through the game with the Retro Mode filter on (the unlock for beating Hardcore), I can only do so on Classic, Pure Survival, or my Hardcore save because you can't create a new game plus save of the regular four difficulties from any of the three non-standard ones.

The reason none of this works in any sensible way is because, as I said above, it only functions halfway like Dead Rising does. It uses Dead Rising's multiple playthrough system without Dead Rising's constant track of the player's current stats. It makes no loving sense and the way they did it is incredibly frustrating.

edit: It's especially frustrating because they already have an "Overall Player Progress Save" system in place in the form of Resource Packs. Sometimes your scavenger bots pick up special resources in the form of Ration Seals that can be turned in at the DLC menu for big bundles of resources that have a small chance of coming with a free golden weapon part. These golden gun parts carry over into every save game you make from then on unless you go into the options menu and nuke your whole save profile.

So the system is there, they just don't use it for god knows what reason! :argh:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Oct 28, 2014

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I understand that Alpha Protocol is a well liked but this is pretty silly. I liked it but the gameplay is absolute poo poo, probably the worst gameplay of any game I can remember.

I liked it a lot, too, I wish more games took cues from it's story and reactiveness. However, it has some deep flaws. Any recommendation of it starts with 'the gameplay is total poo poo and here's how to skip it, but...'.

Tomb Raider was great fun and I'd recommend that without a second thought.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly, all I knew about the Malik ambush ahead of time was that it was really hard. When it came around, I just went with my established playstyle - jogged merrily up to the apparently sensory-deprived mooks and stunning them as quickly and efficiently as possible, then tranq'd the further away ones and EMP'd the robot. It seemed the thing to do, because the far away ones were far away and the robot was a robot. I had no trouble at all :shrug:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hated the Malik ambush because those stupid fuckers kept dying even when I wasn't trying to be lethal about it. Tranqed a guy and he fell to his death. On another reload, a guy tried to shoot me, ended up shooting the explosive barrel in front of him, and died. Multiple people dying to the giant robot explosion. I think that was about when I turned into full murder mode.

I guess the thing dragging DXHR was trying to get the nonlethal achievement because loving Christ it is unreasonably hard.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
People can die to the robot explosion and it doesn't hinder your non-lethal run.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

PJOmega posted:

Spark Mandrill... I got nothing.

Same reason as Storm Eagle. He comes at you from the top of the arena at times and you can fire at the wall behind you and the split shot can hit him. You can also fire at the wall and hit him when he charges at you.

I assume that launch is weak to rolling shield since the game intends for you to use the dash jump which is why he attacks the way he does. The game intends for you to use the dash jump and rolling shield drops downward and can hit him.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
I've been playing Terra Battle on Android and it's pretty fun so far, but one thing that really fucks me off is the fact that whilst all your party get one turn between them, the enemy get individual turns. What this ultimately means is that your entire party can get wiped out really quickly and there's nothing you can do about it.

Its probably a ploy to get you to use the otherwise defunct IAP system (I think the only thing you can buy is continues, and you can get those as log in bonuses, it's really reasonable for a F2P game)

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is fun to play with friends, until one of them picks Conflux and walks over everyone with zero effort.

I wish they'd put in at least a token effort of balancing that one. Then again, the base game has badly balanced factions too, like Inferno, which isn't really good against anything.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished Demon Souls.

It honestly makes me appreciate Souls 1 and 2 a lot more despite the flaws in those games, Demons has a great atmosphere to it but way to much bullshit under the hood.

Tons of upgrade materials, seems to be a myriad of upgrade materials per world.
Terrible bosses, can't think of any memorable ones outside of false king.
Weight limit to how much I can carry.
Leveling up gets WAY out of control soul cost wise around level 50.
Weird clipping issues, kept slipping off terrain even if I was in the middle of it, must have stepped on a magic pixel.
Obnoxious enemies forcing me to just pelt with them arrows till they died or hosed off.
Valley of Defilement is horrible and I hated every minute of it.
Male/Female only armor
World Tendency(what is this garbage anyway)
Stun locking

Glad I played it to completion but I doubt I'll popping this one in again anytime soon.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Just finished Demon Souls.

It honestly makes me appreciate Souls 1 and 2 a lot more despite the flaws in those games, Demons has a great atmosphere to it but way to much bullshit under the hood.

Tons of upgrade materials, seems to be a myriad of upgrade materials per world.
Terrible bosses, can't think of any memorable ones outside of false king.
Weight limit to how much I can carry.
Leveling up gets WAY out of control soul cost wise around level 50.
Weird clipping issues, kept slipping off terrain even if I was in the middle of it, must have stepped on a magic pixel.
Obnoxious enemies forcing me to just pelt with them arrows till they died or hosed off.
Valley of Defilement is horrible and I hated every minute of it.
Male/Female only armor
World Tendency(what is this garbage anyway)
Stun locking

Glad I played it to completion but I doubt I'll popping this one in again anytime soon.

The bosses are some of the best of the series. The only area with lovely bosses is Valley of Defilement, because it's A: Disease Golem, B: Garbage Golem: C: Sonny and Cher in the Swamp of Aborted Fetuses.

All the bosses were really varied and interesting. Boletaria had Phalanx, which was a snoozefest, but it also had Tower Knight and the Penetrator, both extremely cool fights against giant enemies that can wreck your poo poo pretty handily. Stonefang had the giant spider and the Flamelurker, which were both really fun to play. Latria has the greatest "gently caress You" bosses (immortal gimmick boss, MANEATERS, and Old Monk can actually be an invader instead), while Shrine of Storms has Adjudicator (fantastic boss), the blind soldier (Fun when you first play through and freak out), and then you kill the king of sky manta rays with a sword that shoots goddamned sonic booms.

The only game with weak bosses was Dark Souls II, so much of them were retreads of ones already retread by Dark Souls itself, since the boss design was carried over from Demon's in order to fuel Dark Souls's status as a spiritual successor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 3's unlockables system is a pain in the rear end. You can't get 100% in the game if you are only playing single player because there are lots and lots of collectibles in the co-op missions and areas, which can only be accessed if you are, y'know, playing co-op. Therefore there are several info logs, many many weapon parts and upgrade circuits, and 6 completion bonus outfits that you can't ever get by yourself! The maximum you can get in only single player is like 85% which also locks you out of four or five story/completion progress achievements!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 3's unlockables system is a pain in the rear end. You can't get 100% in the game if you are only playing single player because there are lots and lots of collectibles in the co-op missions and areas, which can only be accessed if you are, y'know, playing co-op. Therefore there are several info logs, many many weapon parts and upgrade circuits, and 6 completion bonus outfits that you can't ever get by yourself! The maximum you can get in only single player is like 85% which also locks you out of four or five story/completion progress achievements!

As a self-professed achievement/trophy whore (though I've gotten better recently), this would drive me nuts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Coin boxes in Mario Kart 8 are great.

Coins are almost entirely useless and you can't stack items anymore, so if you're in second or third and you get a couple coin boxes in a row, welp you're not catching up and you have no defense from people behind you.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

RyokoTK posted:

Coin boxes in Mario Kart 8 are great.

Coins are almost entirely useless and you can't stack items anymore, so if you're in second or third and you get a couple coin boxes in a row, welp you're not catching up and you have no defense from people behind you.

Yeah, the coin powerup's inclusion is absolutely baffling other than as a gently caress you to you for expecting to get an item for hitting an item box. It's even still there when items are set to Frantic, and at not really any less of an appearance rate, which I feel kinda defeats the purpose to begin with. Honestly, Mario Kart not having a Smash-style item toggle by now is ridiculous anyway.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

death .cab for qt posted:

The only game with weak bosses was Dark Souls II, so much of them were retreads of ones already retread by Dark Souls itself, since the boss design was carried over from Demon's in order to fuel Dark Souls's status as a spiritual successor.

Can't get behind this enough. When I first ran into the Old Dragonslayer I got unreasonably upset.

To contribute, this really isn't an indictment against the game itself, but in Diablo 3 on PS4 I've been running into an inordinate amount of hackers. Yesterday I joined a public game and all three people in the game were Paragon level 600+ and all dealing DPS in excess of 200 million (my highest DPS character does about 1.2 million). I've been reporting people who do this but it doesn't seem to fix anything. Hopefully they'll do another Rust Storm at some point. Honestly, it can't come quickly enough.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2's "resource" system. Its still a work in progress but they changed it so instead of resources being between infantry, land vehicles and air vehicles its all condensed to one system. First off the old system: You only gained resources depending on what bases you owned and if they were connected to your warpgate that was deposited every 5 minutes. In theory one side could not be able to pull aircraft cause they didn't have any bases that supplied air resources. There was also a cooldown system where you couldn't immediately chain pull vehicles and max suits (unless you certed into it but at the very least there was a 5 minute period of waiting at max rank).

Well with this new system you get 50 nanites every single minute. Every 60 seconds, and there is no way to deny your enemy the resources cause base ownership doesn't matter at all. With that income it is enough to buy a single grenade, which is my main beef with this new system. Every single minute you can throw a grenade and not run out of resources. With a max grenade bandolier you can toss 4 before having to resupply. 4 minutes time and you got your resources back. You can stock up 750 nanites, that is enough for 15 grenades before you just run out. Most fights in room holds devolve into a bunch of jagoffs running towards the building, throwing 4 grenades inside, running back to a terminal and resupplying, running back and throwing MORE grenades, lather rinse and loving repeat. Over and over and over. It makes the nearly 2 thousand certs I dumped into flak armor really loving pointless cause no one throws just a single grenade, they throw 2 at least (in fact the first rank of grenade bandolier is now free... on a class that also gets a rocket launcher that every jackass just fires into a building and hopes for the best) and max flak armor only saves you against one. Its pretty hard to "run from the grenade" in an enclosed building and 10 of the loving things come bouncing in and most rooms are small enough that if the explosion radius doesn't take up a quarter of the room its not difficult to bounce grenades into the deepest corner.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In TOME 4 the game performs worse and worse the further you get into it. Restarting helps somewhat, but it's never restored to the speed it's at with a fresh character. If it remained at its initial speed the entire way through it would probably take me half as long to complete a run.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Can't get behind this enough. When I first ran into the Old Dragonslayer I got unreasonably upset.

For me the worst of this so far has been The Rotten, who's pretty much just a reskin of Nito. Like, you even get to both of them after descending through the catacombs. Sure, the Old Iron King was just the balrog from the Peter Jackson LOTR movies, but at least they weren't copying their own game with that one.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I will never understand this complaint. Yes there are a lot of bosses that reuse old concepts in the game, but that specific one is explicitly an optional boss that is a reference to DS1.

poo poo like the second Royal Rat Vanguard I find lazy and bad, but not that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Some bosses didn't even get proper introductions. Like Smelter Demon? Literally in a hallway leading into the second half of a large room, he doesn't get a boss arena, he gets a vestibule. It's like bumping into Satan for a boss fight at the breakfast nook in a holiday inn

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

For me the worst of this so far has been The Rotten, who's pretty much just a reskin of Nito. Like, you even get to both of them after descending through the catacombs. Sure, the Old Iron King was just the balrog from the Peter Jackson LOTR movies, but at least they weren't copying their own game with that one.

Dark Souls 2 is definitely "the one that ran out of ideas" but The Rotten drops Nito's Lord Soul on bonfire level 2 and higher so I'm pretty sure that's intentional.

Though while we're complaining about Dark Souls 2: Rat King Covenant. Really neat idea on the whole, but in the Souls series it's so trivially easy to run past all the enemies without taking a hit that all your tricks and traps are irrelevant. Also they only guard over completely optional areas that most players skip or do on offline mode.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Diablo 3 is now a pretty great game, much better than at launch.

However the fact that it's still online-only is unforgivable. I should not be lagging when I'm just trying to get through the single-player campaign.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

death .cab for qt posted:

Some bosses didn't even get proper introductions. Like Smelter Demon? Literally in a hallway leading into the second half of a large room, he doesn't get a boss arena, he gets a vestibule. It's like bumping into Satan for a boss fight at the breakfast nook in a holiday inn

The fight is supposed to be cramped. I don't think Dark Souls fans even know what they want from Dark Souls bosses any more.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

kazil posted:

The fight is supposed to be cramped. I don't think Dark Souls fans even know what they want from Dark Souls bosses any more.

You can have a cramped fight without a terrible, awful setup. There's even one in that very same game that pulls it off! (The one at the end of no man's wharf)

The boss just has no pacing. You're expecting a boss, but there's no tension built for Smelter Demon since his boss room is a surprise, but at the same time no "gently caress gently caress gently caress" moment with him. His gimmick is being extremely dangerous halfway through the fight, not from the get go. It would have been way better if he just erupted from the ceiling in Capra-Demon style to overhand slam you while his health bar is just appearing, but I had a good deal of time to prepare.

In fact, that very same room had a better boss encounter. If you walk back through it again, an earlier boss reappears as a regular enemy and can still completely kick your rear end. It swoops in unannounced, hits like a truck, and plays off your previous fear of the boss, since you lost likely killed him earlier with the cheap environment kill, not through melee combat.

Dark Souls II has really neat areas with fantastic design and art direction, but really lovely bosses in the middle third of the game. I still haven't waded through the last third, but if it's as bad as the rat bosses/iron keep bosses, I'm going to be pretty disappointed

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've been playing Dust: An Elysium Tail and find this game very enjoyable, but the character's speed is a bit too low for me - I hope I find some speed upgrade ability later in the game, because right now my character just leisurely strolls through the screen. Also you can't leave the screen if the enemies are still alive, so even though they die quickly even on higher difficulties it's impossible to rush through the screen with fights present.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I really like how the Imprisoned in Hyrule Warriors is just as fun to fight as the actual one in Skyward Sword.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DSII has a good number of lame bosses but complaining about old Dragonslayer is a bit odd. It's clearly supposed to throwback to one of the most iconic bosses from Dark Souls, not "Hey guys here's a totally brand new boss *sweats*"

Szurumbur posted:

I've been playing Dust: An Elysium Tail and find this game very enjoyable, but the character's speed is a bit too low for me - I hope I find some speed upgrade ability later in the game, because right now my character just leisurely strolls through the screen. Also you can't leave the screen if the enemies are still alive, so even though they die quickly even on higher difficulties it's impossible to rush through the screen with fights present.

That game was fun but it had WAY too much combat that all sort of end ed up playing the same once you got to a certain point. Use magic, jump into the air, spin sword x10000.

scarycave posted:

I really like how the Imprisoned in Hyrule Warriors is just as fun to fight as the actual one in Skyward Sword.

The giant bosses in that game all kind of suck really, but imprisoned is definitely the worst.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

DSII has a good number of lame bosses but complaining about old Dragonslayer is a bit odd. It's clearly supposed to throwback to one of the most iconic bosses from Dark Souls, not "Hey guys here's a totally brand new boss *sweats*"

It's not so much a throwback as it is a blatant copy-paste with the colour-palette swapped.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Complaining that Smelter Demon is bad and saying Flexile Demon is good :psyduck:

Calling an intentional throwback to DS1 a boring color palette swap :psyduck:

Dark Souls 2 has it's share of problems but you guys are insane. Bad bosses are poo poo like Old Iron King and Royal Rat Authority.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

That game was fun but it had WAY too much combat that all sort of end ed up playing the same once you got to a certain point. Use magic, jump into the air, spin sword x10000.

Unless an enemy has a gimmick, in which case I sigh and try to get it over with quickly. I can see the combat becoming tedious quickly, especially since the dungeons seem to have an increasing complexity in platform placement and the like - so far, the redeeming factor is that I can kill opponents quickly and Fidget has a powerful projectiles, especially with Dust Storm, which is very pretty. Still, I've been playing for about 3 hours and already have a 40-something completion save, so hopefully I'll finish with my Platinum before it'll get too much of a chore.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Nov 3, 2014

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I haven't played DS2 yet, but would you guys say there are comparable "bad bosses" in demon's or ds1?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fifteen of Many posted:

I haven't played DS2 yet, but would you guys say there are comparable "bad bosses" in demon's or ds1?
Every Souls game has some garbage bosses, it's not really a big deal. Dark Souls 2 has more bosses than either other game, so it has some shittier ones, but also some really good ones.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'd say the thing that dragged Dark Souls 2 down for me the most is the world. Everything looks great but none of the areas really feel that connected-- most notable example being Earthen Peak > Iron Keep. That combined with every (fairly frequent) bonfire being a gateway back to Majula just kinda killed my sense of exploration or danger.

Not uncommon complaints but still enough to kinda lose my interest. I got close to the end but never finished it. From what I understand the game is supposed to be more Demon's Souls than Dark Souls. In comparison I've never played any Demon's but I've put around ~150 hours into Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

kazil posted:

Complaining that Smelter Demon is bad and saying Flexile Demon is good :psyduck:

Calling an intentional throwback to DS1 a boring color palette swap :psyduck:

Dark Souls 2 has it's share of problems but you guys are insane. Bad bosses are poo poo like Old Iron King and Royal Rat Authority.

They have some really neat boss designs and ideas, but Smelter Demon/Old Dragonslayer just miss the mark. If Old Dragonslayer was actually difficult, it would be an awesome fight that comes out of nowhere, but the thing that made BigO such a scary fight was the wear down from fighting them both at once, then having to fight a super charged Ornstein. This is just supercharged Ornstein, which isn't a hard fight.

And Flexile Demon itself wasn't a mechanically good boss :v: the buildup, though, actually fits.

Same with Capra Demon, it's a boss door that you may not be expecting (the area leading up to him is much shorter than previous areas) and there is no delay in starting the fight, unlike the last two fights (gargoyles and Taurus for most people)

That's my main problem with DSII, it's a lot of ideas that just aren't nearly polished enough. They get 75% of the way there on most areas and bosses, then drop the ball on execution. I can honestly say the only fights I actually enjoyed so far were in Lost Bastille/Bellfry Luna/The place after Lost Bastille