Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean OBVIOUSLY there's reasons why we're not using gundams in warfare right now.

Is it because we haven't discovered gundamium yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GrandpaPants posted:

Its on the periodic table next to unobtanium.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

GrandpaPants posted:

It's gundarium :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Meanwhile the military's making actual useful (maybe) poo poo like exoskeletons and if we ever get mechs they'll come about as a result of said exos becoming more and more complex.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The problem is that if you start making things too large is that current materials can't handle the strain of moving so quickly and suddenly.
A mech jumping half a mile into the air and landing would likely wreck the mech (not to mention put the pilot under serious strain)
That's why made up elements are used in series :spergin:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

freelop posted:

The problem is that if you start making things too large is that current materials can't handle the strain of moving so quickly and suddenly.
A mech jumping half a mile into the air and landing would likely wreck the mech (not to mention put the pilot under serious strain)
That's why made up elements are used in series :spergin:

Also, anything over 5m tall is a target according to the military.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
A lot of effort goes into making modern tanks as low profile as possible. Giant bipedal mechs are kinda the opposite thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
You know what to do goons
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1980087936/momma-lillys-cafe?ref=newest

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Is it "wait for someone to explain why I should click on that"? Because I think that's what I'm going to do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a woman who wants to open a gluten-free restaurant. The entire Kickstarter is 5 sentences.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

Is it "wait for someone to explain why I should click on that"? Because I think that's what I'm going to do.

You should click because it's goatse

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a woman who wants to open a gluten-free restaurant. The entire Kickstarter is 5 sentences.
Of the 5 sentences, 2 have typos and 1 is grammatically incorrect. 40%, please see me after class.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Of the 5 sentences, 2 have typos and 1 is grammatically incorrect. 40%, please see me after class.

The only reward tier is a thank you note at $25. It is limited to 25.

It's kinda depressing to see these people who obviously have no idea what Kickstarter is and how it works and should probably just be getting a straight loan.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

The only reward tier is a thank you note at $25. It is limited to 25.

It's kinda depressing to see these people who obviously have no idea what Kickstarter is and how it works and should probably just be getting a straight loan.

But you have to pay back loans with interest

let alone paying it back

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
I know when I want to fund a comic, excuse me, doujinshi on kickstarter I like to take characters from a lovely tv show and make them gay.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/98484769/the-man-who-would-be-a-supernatural-doujinshi?ref=category_popular

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Haha, I can't wait for the cease and desist and the crushing realization that the loosely enforced copyright laws that make the doujinshi market possible in Japan just don't apply to America.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Waffleman_ posted:

Haha, I can't wait for the cease and desist and the crushing realization that the loosely enforced copyright laws that make the doujinshi market possible in Japan just don't apply to America.

Do I even want to know the details of what you're talking about? (Japanese Copyright Laws and fan comics)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's just that Japanese companies aren't REQUIRED to pursue cases of infringement like in America, so they let fan comics slide.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Alan Smithee posted:

But you have to pay back loans with interest

let alone paying it back

According to the bio this lady has pretty severe celiac disease so you can't even poo poo on her for jumping on the gluten-free bandwagon.

This just somebody's confused, semi-illiterate grandma. It's Doobie minus the charming effort.

0/10- you're not even trying.

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

I know when I want to fund a comic, excuse me, doujinshi on kickstarter I like to take characters from a lovely tv show and make them gay.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/98484769/the-man-who-would-be-a-supernatural-doujinshi?ref=category_popular

OF COURSE it's Supernatural. It had to be. Either that or Sherlock.

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Nov 4, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

It's just that Japanese companies aren't REQUIRED to pursue cases of infringement like in America, so they let fan comics slide.

No the laws are pretty much the same there as here. There's lots of doujinshi type stuff going on in America at cons and all that - and well doujinshi culture in Japan itself primarily operates and sells at their own cons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Either way, this thing's probably gonna get taken down by WB in a week.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah I'm just saying, doing this same sort of thing in the same way in Japan? They'd also get taken down.9 times out of 10.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

BEHOLD THE POWER OF TUMBLR

quote:

$8,529
pledged of $750 goal

Over 1000% funded with more than a week to go.

Waffleman_ posted:

The artist set the funding period to only 20 days rather than the standard month, I guess at least partly so they could grab the cash as quickly as possible before WB noticed and sent a C&D.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:04 on Nov 4, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Harking back to an Indiegogo project to build solar roads, a company in the Netherlands has just installed the world's first solar bike path. It's currently 70m long, will generate enough electricity to power 3 households and will end up costing 3 million euros.

That's 1 million euros per household of power. :v:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

30% less efficient than roof-mounted
:psyduck:
Why wouldn't you use actual panels and spare yourself the maintenance ? What's the point ?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Harking back to an Indiegogo project to build solar roads, a company in the Netherlands has just installed the world's first solar bike path. It's currently 70m long, will generate enough electricity to power 3 households and will end up costing 3 million euros.

That's 1 million euros per household of power. :v:

It's also built right under a bunch of trees.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

unpacked robinhood posted:

Why wouldn't you use actual panels and spare yourself the maintenance ? What's the point ?

I'm guessing the point is to attract stupid investors who are looking for green projects, but IRL instead of using kickstarter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gives us money so we can make a treasure hunt with it. And also help animal shelters or something
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vidfall-s-cash-stash-for-cats-dogs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Waffleman_ posted:

You don't lose copyright for non-enforcement anywhere that's party to Berne, AFAIK. None of the proposed orphan-work legislation has gone anywhere, even, and that would require that the copyright holder not be identified or reachable anyway.

Perhaps you're thinking of trademarks?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm relatively sure they have something about parodies in their copyright laws, because doujinshi are often called things like Naputo or Bealch presumably to avoid possible complaints.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

unpacked robinhood posted:

presumably it's a publicity stunt/pet project/splurging unallocated funds on something stupid and isn't going to be scaled up because it is indeed stupid. So it doesn't actually matter if or how well it works as long as it's been seen.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

You don't lose copyright for non-enforcement anywhere that's party to Berne, AFAIK.
Yeah, copyright is automatically granted upon creation of a sufficiently large and original work, unless you've already signed away your copyright (most likely through being a contractor for someone else).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waffleman_ posted:

This gets parroted around constantly but it only applies to trademarks, not copyright, which are entirely different.
(Even then its not strictly true for trademark AFAIK, it just sorta is because trademarks can be taken away if certain terms enter common use, etc.)

In theory fair use law is pretty strong in the US and parody and other non-competing works shouldn't be subject to copyright.

In practice the US courts are dominated by who has the best lawyers and that's all it comes down to; can you afford to fight a legal battle against the copyright holder? No? Better just cave, then. Who cares if you were right?

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Nov 5, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's mostly a matter of the Japanese companies not wanting to upset the fanbase; doujinshis aren't any more legal in Japan, it's just that the companies are more afraid of blowback than American companies are. Western fanstuff also has a tradition of being non-profit, so we've got no expectation of for-profit fanstuff being acceptable, but the doujinshi market is an established thing in Japan, so the companies let it slide because the PR is worth it.

It's sort of like how subscription fees for multiplayer FPSs never happened like some people thought they would, but MMO subscription fees lasted as long as they did. If something is an expected courtesy from a company, it's very hard to convince the public that it can be taken away.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

I'm pretty sure it's mostly a matter of the Japanese companies not wanting to upset the fanbase; doujinshis aren't any more legal in Japan, it's just that the companies are more afraid of blowback than American companies are. Western fanstuff also has a tradition of being non-profit, so we've got no expectation of for-profit fanstuff being acceptable, but the doujinshi market is an established thing in Japan, so the companies let it slide because the PR is worth it.

For-profit fan stuff happens all the time at conventions and the like in the US, same as Japan. And in Japan most of the for-profit doujinshi stuff stays within the realm of cons.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Fatkraken posted:

presumably it's a publicity stunt/pet project/splurging unallocated funds on something stupid and isn't going to be scaled up because it is indeed stupid. So it doesn't actually matter if or how well it works as long as it's been seen.

It's the Netherlands. We have had huge gas deposits that gave us free clean energy for decades. They are running out now and the alternative is German coal which is neither. Therefore, our government throws money at anything that resembles "green" and "free." This means the companies involved pay close to nothing and get access to hyped technology. They probably also get favored when the government inevitably decides to expand the test. It's good business sense: nearly no risk and if it works they get rich.

Another Dutch experiment in the same vein was luminescent road markings. Better than the Solar Roadways crap. Until the realized that it doesn't work in rainy weather, and the Netherlands has something like 200 rainy days a year.

Who needs Kickstarter when you've got the public sector?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

klafbang posted:

It's the Netherlands. We have had huge gas deposits that gave us free clean energy for decades. They are running out now and the alternative is German coal which is neither. Therefore, our government throws money at anything that resembles "green" and "free." This means the companies involved pay close to nothing and get access to hyped technology. They probably also get favored when the government inevitably decides to expand the test. It's good business sense: nearly no risk and if it works they get rich.

Another Dutch experiment in the same vein was luminescent road markings. Better than the Solar Roadways crap. Until the realized that it doesn't work in rainy weather, and the Netherlands has something like 200 rainy days a year.

Who needs Kickstarter when you've got the public sector?

Can't the Netherlands just stretch an extension cord over from Beligum? How much juice do you guys really use?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

For-profit fan stuff happens all the time at conventions and the like in the US, same as Japan. And in Japan most of the for-profit doujinshi stuff stays within the realm of cons.

It's also important that most of these dojin books have small print runs, so most of these books aren't going to cut into the rights holders' market. However, there has been cases where the Japanese rights holders have interfered: the biggest one I think is Nintendo putting the kibosh on some woman fan's beastiality dojinshi involving Ash x Pikachu because they felt that crossed a line.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Young Freud posted:

It's also important that most of these dojin books have small print runs, so most of these books aren't going to cut into the rights holders' market. However, there has been cases where the Japanese rights holders have interfered: the biggest one I think is Nintendo putting the kibosh on some woman fan's beastiality dojinshi involving Ash x Pikachu because they felt that crossed a line.

Was that a copyright case? It sounds more like a trademark one, since it's unlikely that the...literature in question was actually derived from an expression owned by Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

For-profit fan stuff happens all the time at conventions and the like in the US, same as Japan.

That's not so much legal as it is copyrightholders choosing not to prosecute. All you have to do is draw enough attention to get slapped with a C&D letter, like the dude who drew Little League getting shut down after he got in trouble for sending dick pics to women.