Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sunday catch-up!

Bloom County

This was a strip that just fascinated me as a kid, due to how baffling it is without context.

Just a reminder, we're still in 1988. Prescient!

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Parahexavoctal posted:

I showed Kevin Frank some excerpts of the comments made in this thread, including the notion of Wilson being a hippie; here's his response (with permission).

I don't think it's inappropriate to do something like that in the comic, for what it's worth, especially since these are things that happened and did affect people, and it's miles better than A Thing Happened comics.

Also I do find the Jesus Freaks fascinating, as a student of pop-culture history---it's a movement that gets glazed over on a regular basis by commentary on the period, and what I've read is often conflicted, were they radicals, reactionaries, counter-reactionaries...

Darthemed posted:

loving incredible.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Huh well that explains how Larry David knew about the short-reigning Edward VIII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naVyR6KlkWI

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

That's how Nancy looked at the time, BTW. Jerry Scott (of "Baby Blues" and "Zits" fame) was writing and drawing the strip.

And he did better job than the Guy Gilchrist.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mister Beeg posted:

And he did better job than the Guy Gilchrist.

I feel like I'd be hard pressed to think of someone who wouldn't do a better job than Gilchrist, barring some kind of armageddon option like Bruce Tinsley. Maybe the Rose is Rose team?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

SomeMathGuy posted:

I feel like I'd be hard pressed to think of someone who wouldn't do a better job than Gilchrist, barring some kind of armageddon option like Bruce Tinsley. Maybe the Rose is Rose team?

Holbrook.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
For the record, I was commenting on Dagg's reaction (and by extension, my own), not the strip itself. It takes guts to include even small references to things like that and I think it was a good choice on his part. People can go into something with the best of intentions only to have their faith and trust twisted and abused, and it's important to address that and support the people who went through it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County does some pop culture thing, you know?

Newscasters: Tom Brokaw, John Chancellor, Jane Pauley, Bryant Gumbel
Persons of interest: Mikhail Gorbachev, last of the Soviet leaders; Barry Goldwater, American senator and Republican presidential nominee, best known for causing the nuclear death of a young girl known as "Daisy" in an ad from Lyndon B. Johnson's campaign; Richard Nixon, self-professed non-crook; Pee-Wee Herman, an adventurer, farmer, and theatre fan; and Kermit The Frog, survivor of a life-long battle with being green.

Calvin And Hobbes :effort:

Ripley's

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Selachian posted:

I've never understood where Breathed got "spear bald" from.

(These strips, of course, are from just before when Michael Jordan started to shave his head and make baldness cool.)

I never really knew "spear bald" wasn't a common thing to say until I used it in a post earlier this year and had people ask what that meant, and if I was making a Brittney Spears reference.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

the Dustin team. Or maybe Batiuk.

Which brings us to today's installment of JOHN DARLING!!!

When we last left John Darling, he was in New York City, being mugged at knifepoint.

Punchline of today's strip: John is so egotistical that it interferes with his survival instincts.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 12, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (November 5, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (September 20-22, 1951)

In a few years, Lucy is going to start strip mining this territory and the balance of power will shift dramatically. It'll be great for business, but poor ol' Charlie Brown...

And y'know what, folks? It's Super-Fun-Pak Comix! We're totally going there, if only to see how well it travels as a daily feature.

Check, please.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 3, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

LvK posted:

I never really knew "spear bald" wasn't a common thing to say until I used it in a post earlier this year and had people ask what that meant, and if I was making a Brittney Spears reference.

I have literally never heard this phrase before in my life.

Tommy Ramone turns to crime.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
So I can't help but mention the fact, shrinking down a blue whale is not going to help you study it at all. It's out of its natural habitat and everything. You're not going to learn anything Samantha, you're just an evil scientist monster.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Allen Wren posted:

I have literally never heard this phrase before in my life.

See? Giant tomes of newspaper comics have ruined who I am today.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Darthemed posted:

Sunday catch-up!

For context: one of George H.W. Bush's attacks on the Dukakis campaign was in regards to Dukakis vetoing a bill requiring the Pledge of Allegiance to be recited in schools, to the point of insisting on opening the RNC with everyone reciting the Pledge, and House Republicans introducing a bill requiring House sessions to be opened with a pledge.

"Good jobs for good wages" was one of the main refrains of the Dukakis campaign.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Darthemed posted:

Sunday catch-up!

Ripley's

Wow cant even draw a mouse without tracing it?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

mega
soy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

:psyduck: Since when? Is this something new? I slap :burger:s on the grill pretty much as soon as I light it.

At worst, we're terrible cooks.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
A charcoal grill you ought to let heat up, yeah. A gas one, less important.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

With charcoal? Doesn't it burn kind of hot?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Evilreaver posted:

:psyduck: Since when? Is this something new? I slap :burger:s on the grill pretty much as soon as I light it.

At worst, we're terrible cooks.

Alfie seems to be enjoying the smell of the burgers. They've probably been on the grill longer than ten minutes minus prep time.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 4, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Sphinxster posted:

With charcoal? Doesn't it burn kind of hot?
Pretty sure charcoal takes a while to actually catch on fire and heat up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Really in a situation like that I'd assume the guy is telling the truth because that's such an obvious contradiction it's hard to imagine he'd make it with a straight face. Like, maybe his wife heated it up for him while he was in town so he could get right to the burger flipping. And why are they so sure the killer didn't use a silencer?

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Zereth posted:

Pretty sure charcoal takes a while to actually catch on fire and heat up.

Yeah, and usually there's some kind of accellerant going early on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My Weapon Brown hardcover finally arrived today from the far-off Pumpkin Patch :3:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Good Listener posted:

So I can't help but mention the fact, shrinking down a blue whale is not going to help you study it at all. It's out of its natural habitat and everything. You're not going to learn anything Samantha, you're just an evil scientist monster.

I dunno, she could probably get an article published in the International Journal of Cetaceans about the Horrible Ramifications of Genetic Splicing and Domestic Cultivation of Balaenoptera musculus

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Bleeker reaches for the handyman's secret weapon.

Pickles didn't feed the kid.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Seriously Ed looks like a walking petri dish. Apropos considering Ed is pond scum.

On the Fastrack

Pretty sure hugging someone after they specifically tell you not to is a form of harassment or violation of personal rights.

Safe Havens

Somehow I expected better than a cliche gender stereotype punchline.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Fucks' sake mandrakes dad get your poo poo together.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Kind of a lame day for mine.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

I would totally get one of these in my house if I didn't have to worry about bird crap everywhere.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

That's not amnesia, that's being Zippy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hypothermia, the silent killer.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 29, 1927)

Peanuts (November 7, 1967)

I've said this before, I'll say it again: Sabermetrics would murder this kid.

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 28-29, 1925)

And now, the moment of truth...

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

You go, Smokey. You go.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Ah, grill chatte! Yeah, charcoal takes a little while to get burning and come up to the proper temperature. I cook anything beef on charcoal. Everything else is usually done on the gas grill.

Best way I found so far to get the charcoal up and online really quickly. Two sheets of newspaper, and a match is all you need.

Jane's World

Yeah, hurry up so you can drive 100 yards and destroy your front end.

Non Sequitur

Yeah, in this case, good point.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban's Cats

Uh.. hmm. :psyduck:

9 Chickweed Lane 11/4/2003

So, when are you going to "annoy" the bully-dude, Amos?

Zits

Kevin & Kell

I'm surprised Holbrook knows the meaning of that term. It probably was catfishing. She didn't want to gently caress Kevin, she wanted to kill, and eat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

EasyEW posted:

And now, the moment of truth...

:neckbeard:

Cul-de-sac

Poftropica

Heathcliff

• Locked thread