Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

...I must not have been paying attention, or just didn't realise that was supposed to be the Northern temple. There weren't even any pipes!

They made no mention of that past in Legend of Korra. I was suprised they couldn't even say one short sentence to remind the viewers what had happened to the temple in Aang's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Or you could just go watch AtLA again.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

Or you could just go watch AtLA again.

There is no episode of AtLA that explains why the Northern Air Temple is seemingly abandoned by Korra's time.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Jorghnassen posted:

They made no mention of that past in Legend of Korra. I was suprised they couldn't even say one short sentence to remind the viewers what had happened to the temple in Aang's time.

I was surprised too. It's also a little dissapointing since the lesson that Aang learned in that episode was that the Mechanists had the same spirit as Airbenders, even if they weren't and that you can't hang onto the past. Interesting that Tenzin learned the same lesson there as well, but they easily could have used another temple to be destroyed, like the eastern one where Aang met with Guru Pathik. I guess we are to believe that sometime in his adult life Aang went back to the Northen Temple, kicked the mechanists out and converted it all back to an airbender santuary?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

King of Foolians posted:

I guess we are to believe that sometime in his adult life Aang went back to the Northen Temple, kicked the mechanists out and converted it all back to an airbender santuary?

I'd like to think Aang learned enough from his time there to not evict them forcibly. I'm guessing more likely the mechanist and his people left to go somewhere like Republic City or Zaofu where they could share and profit from their inventions. As a sign of respect, they restored the temple to its original state with help from the air acolytes.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

thexerox123 posted:

There is no episode of AtLA that explains why the Northern Air Temple is seemingly abandoned by Korra's time.
As I understand, the Northern Air Temple was a refuge for refugees fleeing the Fire Nation. Once that war ended, there was no good reason to stay on some isolated mountain, so they left.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Bifford posted:

As I understand, the Northern Air Temple was a refuge for refugees fleeing the Fire Nation. Once that war ended, there was no good reason to stay on some isolated mountain, so they left.
When Baron Bifford is the voice of reason, you know poo poo is hosed up.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Once Korra is over I hope we get 1980s Avatar or the show covers a past Avatar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Earlier in the last episode, Zhu Li almost got killed by a dangerously unstable new invention. Her long-time employer, Varrick, saved her life and then lobbied for the project to be shut down, and his boss, Kuvira, forced him to keep going. Then she supposedly betrayed Varrick for Kuvira because he's got a habit of recklessly endangering her. Let's be honest, there is absolutely no way she's being sincere there.

On a semi-related note, I did love the little detail of her effortlessly pulling him up by his wrists after he had so much trouble doing the exact same thing to her when the spirit nuke went off.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

There is a possibility for a great Fallout-esque post-apocalyptic setting where civilization was all but destroyed by Varrick's spirit bomb.

Going back to LoK discussion, I fully expect Wu to renounce his claim to the throne and open his very own Royal Spa by the end of the season. It'd be a nice development for him: a pampered boy who realizes he's not fit to do the thing expected of his status and chooses instead to follow his genuine passion. Alternatively, they could (and might) make Wu learn from his mistakes and try to be a good ruler, but I'd be very dissapointed should they go this route.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
He can't be worse than his grandfather. At least he gets out and about.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

On a semi-related note, I did love the little detail of her effortlessly pulling him up by his wrists after he had so much trouble doing the exact same thing to her when the spirit nuke went off.
He also mentions that she weighs a lot more than she looks like she would and says something like she weighs 2.5 Zhu Li's which is... odd considering if the unit of measurement was named after her it'd be like, her weight.

But either way, muscle weighs more than fat and she looks skinny as hell so Zhu Li is built like a brick shithouse under that business suit.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Well if Varrick is Tony Stark, maybe Zhu Li isn't Pepper Potts but actually Black Widow. I'm waiting for the big reveal when Zhu Li reveals that she's actually Zhu Lee, granddaughter of Ty Lee and a Kyoshi Warrior on special assignment to protect Varrick.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If Zhu Li is a Chinese name, then Zhu is her surname.

Also, Li is a very common name.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

There's like a million Li's.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Most people in the Avatar universe have no surnames, and those that do use the Western order: think Toph Beifong or Asami Sato. I don't think Zhu Li has a last name.

Speaking of which, how do people get last names in this universe? Do they get to choose one once they become wealthy/influential? Hiroshi was born poor so I don't know if he was born with a last name. Varrick doesn't have one, and neither do any of the monarchs we've seen. Raiko only seems to have a surname as his wife's name is Buttercup Raiko.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Don't forget Bonzu and June Pippinpaddleopsicopolis as well as Wang Fire and Sapphire Fire.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Punk rock avatar!!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

Punk rock avatar!!

An anti-authoritarian ultimate authority? I like it.

Now I'm imagining an Air Nomad with tattoos reading 'This Machine Kills Firebenders'.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Darth Walrus posted:

An anti-authoritarian ultimate authority? I like it.

Now I'm imagining an Air Nomad with tattoos reading 'This Machine Kills Firebenders'.

I'm picturing Meelo growing a mohawk where his arrow should be and inventing Soundbending for maximum :rock:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
But if Avatar Ramone doesn't like fire bending, then who is going to shoot fire with their devil horns?!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sato posted:

Most people in the Avatar universe have no surnames, and those that do use the Western order: think Toph Beifong or Asami Sato. I don't think Zhu Li has a last name.

Speaking of which, how do people get last names in this universe? Do they get to choose one once they become wealthy/influential? Hiroshi was born poor so I don't know if he was born with a last name. Varrick doesn't have one, and neither do any of the monarchs we've seen. Raiko only seems to have a surname as his wife's name is Buttercup Raiko.

Usually it's tied to profession or what geographical area you're from so I imagine there's a village named Raiko somewhere.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sato posted:

Raiko only seems to have a surname as his wife's name is Buttercup Raiko.

Turns out President is just his first name, nobody realized and he hasn't wanted to correct anyone.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Turns out President is just his first name, nobody realized and he hasn't wanted to correct anyone.

Everyone's gonna be floored when he shows up out of nowhere and wipes the floor with Kuvira's army using nothing but a sword.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Enjoy season four while it lasts, because we're never getting another series. Mike & Bryan have gone on record numerous times that they want to move on to new things, and after the rating slump/Season 3 leak/Online only fiascoes, there's no way Nick will sign them for another Avatar series.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

Enjoy season four while it lasts, because we're never getting another series. Mike & Bryan have gone on record numerous times that they want to move on to new things, and after the rating slump/Season 3 leak/Online only fiascoes, there's no way Nick will sign them for another Avatar series.

They said in interviews that they definitely want to move on to other stuff right now, but that they know they'll end up going back to the Avatar universe someday.

I'm sure I can find the quote with some searching...

Edit: found it.

quote:

Much like when “Avatar” ended, Mike and I need to just recharge the batteries and work on a couple of other things. We definitely don’t have another series planned, but I think this universe that we cracked open 11 years ago, I think it will always draw us back in, throughout the years, and I think it’s still an inspiring place for us to create and we have various other ideas, but we’re really busy just trying to get these episodes done and we’re not actively trying to figure out the next step in this world yet.

Mind you, that's from about a year ago. But still, never say never.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 3, 2014

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

computer parts posted:

Usually it's tied to profession or what geographical area you're from so I imagine there's a village named Raiko somewhere.

Now that I think about it, last names have really only been in the Earth Kingdom or United Republic so maybe there's not a tradition of it anywhere else (leaving out Wang Fire for obvious reasons). I'd love to know what profession the Beifongs originally had--I assume the flying boar in their crest is related.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It looks as though he has Water Tribe ancestry so we need a k, q, or double letters in there somewhere. Prresident Raiko, thank you very much. :colbert:

thexerox123 posted:

They said in interviews that they definitely want to move on to other stuff right now, but that they know they'll end up going back to the Avatar universe someday.

I'm sure I can find the quote with some searching...

Mind you, that's from about a year ago. But still, never say never.

They said something similar in their recent livechat. I'd love an eventual webseries with one or two episodes devoted to a particular past Avatar like they did with Roku and Wan. I'd imagine similar graphics as the "Lost Episode" between books 2 and 3 of the original series to save time and money. Or maybe a mini-miniseries like they did with Mako and Bolin between books 1 and 2.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A part of me hopes that it was actually a spirit telling Varrick not to built the vine nuke, and this comes out when Varrick, Bolin, and Zhu Li run into it while on the run and Varrick's like "You sound like my conscience!"

I think his conscience actually came about from hanging out with Bolin and the rest of Team Avatar and other decent people like Suyin a fair amount. Hence when Bolin shows up to talk to him Varrick says "You sound like my conscience."

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sato posted:

I think theocracy is a better term to use to get Rosalind's point across.

Sounds like Vaatu and Unalaq to me.
I don't know, we still miss a cohesive religion and faith for that to work in my opinion. Vaatu and Unalaq didn't have any real followers for instance.

TheKingofSprings posted:

He also didn't hesitate even for a second to save her life when things went wrong.
But does that count when there was no immediate danger for him? Letting her go would have just been a dick move!

PiedPiper posted:

I'm certain it was just a ruse by Zhu Lee. What I'm interested in is whether Kuvira truly bought it or not.
Kuvira bought Bolin's assessment of his loyalty. I'm pretty sure she's terrible at reading people. For those who've played Alpha Protocol, kind of like Marburg.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

ftfy

One thing I've always wondered, what became of the Northern Air temple? Is it still a center for invention? Or learning? Is it a museum dedicated to the Machinist and his inventions? Is it still populated by hangliding enthusiasts?
Isn't that the temple who was melted down by Ghazan last season?

Kassad posted:

Everyone's gonna be floored when he shows up out of nowhere and wipes the floor with Kuvira's army using nothing but a sword.
A Fullmetal Alchemist reference. Nice. Wasn't his first name "King" though?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

X_Toad posted:

Kuvira bought Bolin's assessment of his loyalty. I'm pretty sure she's terrible at reading people. For those who've played Alpha Protocol, kind of like Marburg.

Korra is quite the suave lady...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

X_Toad posted:

Or to continue the Obsidian parallels a little bit like Caesar from Fallout New Vegas, actually she's kind of like Colonel Moore

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

X_Toad posted:

I don't know, we still miss a cohesive religion and faith for that to work in my opinion. Vaatu and Unalaq didn't have any real followers for instance.

That's a fair point, and I'll agree that it was poorly portrayed, though I'll stand by my assertion that this was what Bryke intended. I think, like the first season, we were supposed to infer a lot about the villain and his motives: like you said, the only "religion" we've seen has been based around worship of/communing with the spirits, what with Tui and La, Hei Bai, and the Fire Sages; even the Avatar Temples seem to venerate Raava and the Avatar cycle. We were probably supposed to guess that Unalaq's vision was increased communion with the spirits under the supervision of Vaatu. I think we were also supposed to draw a parallel between Unalaq's disgust at the commercialization of the Glacier Spirits Festival and fundamentalist Christian disgust at the commercialization of Christmas to underline Unalaq's fundamentalism.

As for followers, I think Unalaq was supposed to be the main follower who implemented Vaatu's commands. Unalaq had Desna and Eska, who followed him blindly until they saw UnaVaatu, and the rest of the Northern Water Tribe, where Unalaq implemented his initial goals and made a more spiritual society; we never saw any members challenge him so I guess we were supposed to think they all followed him? He also had spirit followers, such as Wan Shi Tong and all those dark spirits. Besides, UnaVaatu doesn't exactly need willing followers: as the embodiment of darkness and chaos he can probably scare people into following his will Kuvira-style.

Not exactly executed well, but I think there's enough there to infer what they intended.

X_Toad posted:

She was able to retain Bolin when his commitment was wavering in the third episode, and judging by the clip of the next episode and the trailer can read Suyin well enough to be able to foil her assassination plot. I think she's good at short-term readings based on immediate situations but can't see the long-term.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

X_Toad posted:

But does that count when there was no immediate danger for him? Letting her go would have just been a dick move!

They were at the now very exposed rear of a very fast moving train. He didn't climb up a cliff or anything but there was very real and very immediate danger that he could fall off too by helping her up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sato posted:

She was able to retain Bolin when his commitment was wavering in the third episode, and judging by the clip of the next episode and the trailer can read Suyin well enough to be able to foil her assassination plot. I think she's good at short-term readings based on immediate situations but can't see the long-term.

Yeah honestly I think it's a lot less that Kuvira can't read people, and more that she's overestimating her own abilities & kinda buying into her own hype. Bolin was brought into the circle only because he had a diplomatic use anyway, so Kuvira probably assumed that a mixture of lies and fear would keep Bolin in line like it always has, and that even if it didn't, he wasn't a major threat. Likewise, she bought Zhu Li's little speech because she recited all the great things Kuvira always says about herself, and Kuvira bought it because she's so far down the rabbit hole at this point she believes the salespitch is reality.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Sato posted:

This is the problem I have with the "Asianness" of the entire Avatar franchise. There's an embrace of an 'Asian aesthetic' but it's only a partial embrace and it's apparent in how names are given. There is probably a Lit paper waiting to be written about how Asian-ness is depicted and constructed in the West based on ATLA+ALOK.

Don't get me started on Sleeping Dogs' "Wei Shen", now that's a bullshit name.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

X_Toad posted:

A Fullmetal Alchemist reference. Nice. Wasn't his first name "King" though?

Heh, close enough. :v:

Flat Banana posted:

This is the problem I have with the "Asianness" of the entire Avatar franchise. There's an embrace of an 'Asian aesthetic' but it's only a partial embrace and it's apparent in how names are given. There is probably a Lit paper waiting to be written about how Asian-ness is depicted and constructed in the West based on ATLA+ALOK.

It strikes me how names are assigned apparently at random, like with Mako (Japanese) and Bolin (Chinese) being brothers. And then you've got people like Ghazan or the Guru Laghima who have Indian-sounding names when there's no India-equivalent in Avatar. In fact, India's never really seen as part of Asia in the US in the same way as Japan, China and Korea, is it?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Kassad posted:

Heh, close enough. :v:

It strikes me how names are assigned apparently at random, like with Mako (Japanese) and Bolin (Chinese) being brothers. And then you've got people like Ghazan or the Guru Laghima who have Indian-sounding names when there's no India-equivalent in Avatar. In fact, India's never really seen as part of Asia in the US in the same way as Japan, China and Korea, is it?

Yes, "Asian" is a weirdly used term in the US, it depends on context but most people think of it as what used to be called the Far East or now East Asia. You probably wouldn't describe an Indian person as Asian despite the maps clearly showing India as being in Asia.

There is supposedly a small island nation on the other side of the map that we never see with an Indian-based culture and people. That is likely where Guru Pathik, Guru Laghima, and the one Indian-looking dude we see briefly when we first see Varrick in a business meeting are from. There is likely a small exchange of culture with that nation and the greater Avatar universe, and I guess that's how Ghazan ended up with his name.

Mako and Bolin are brothers but remember their parents were from two different nations, the Japanese-based Fire Nation and the Chinese-based Earth Kingdom. So I think it's appropriate they'd have names from the two different cultures.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just as an FYI, the Water Tribes are roughly Inuit/Yupik, while the Air Nomads are roughly NepaleseTibetan/Hindu. Then there's those Meso-American dudes from Season 3.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 4, 2014

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
So are ya Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think my favorite gag of this entire season so far is Meelo's unrealistically realistic sketch of Korra

• Locked thread