Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Is anyone else having an issue with renaming ships? I try to rename one but get a 'you do not have a ship by that name' error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If it's a newly opened ship, just accept the default name, change to the ship at the spacedock, then name it then. If it's an existing ship then try and rename another one, then go back and rename the one causing trouble.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the ship list getting messed up and doing something to remind the database what's in there seems to fix it. Of course if every ship is doing that then you're SOL :v:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

g0del posted:

If you want them to fix it sooner, figure out a way to use the broken version to level quickly or earn extra dil.

Bort posted a couple days ago saying the fix was done, it just wasn't implemented yet. After four years of dealing with Cryptic, I recognize that that statement holds no real value, but it's all I've got to cling to.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Hey Korgan(or whoever is doing wiki stuff). I'm a retard and forgot my wiki password again. Can you delete user DeRathi and auth Mephiston please? Cheers.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Any suggestions on what traits to use? The guide on the wiki is out of date. I'm at rep 4 with everyone except Romulan (5) and Delta (3). Using an a2b cruiser build.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Haerc posted:

Any suggestions on what traits to use? The guide on the wiki is out of date. I'm at rep 4 with everyone except Romulan (5) and Delta (3). Using an a2b cruiser build.

Most are. Goons, it turns out, only write stuff when bribed.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Goon Projects.txt

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Mephiston posted:

Hey Korgan(or whoever is doing wiki stuff). I'm a retard and forgot my wiki password again. Can you delete user DeRathi and auth Mephiston please? Cheers.

Done and done.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mondian posted:

Most are. Goons, it turns out, only write stuff when bribed.

I've been using a poor man's version of the wiki's JHDC build since I acquired one. It was slightly out of date back when I got the ship and a lot has changed since. It still gets the job done but going up against Delta's health sponges makes me wonder if I could do better with newer gear.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The new tutorial is alright.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
Well, looks like some 'balancing' is coming to hangar pets soon. I guess they felt like a few types doing decent dps means they should nerf them all. A few of the names on that list seem to indicate they're adding new hangar ships in the future though, which is nice I guess, assuming they aren't complete poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The hilarious thing is that hangar pets are clearly using the NPC scaling so have ballooned up in durability like all the other NPC ships. Oh, Cryptic. :allears:

And huh, yeah. "Kazon Raider", "Oschu Shuttle", "Qulash Frigate", "Plesh Brek Frigate"... the plesh brek definitely seems to imply the Breen carrier this winter, while the Qulash and Oschu are Elachi but they have no carriers at the moment... :tinfoil:

Asimo fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 4, 2014

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Asimo posted:

The hilarious thing is that hangar pets are clearly using the NPC scaling so have ballooned up in durability like all the other NPC ships. Oh, Cryptic. :allears:

And huh, yeah. "Kazon Raider", "Oschu Shuttle", "Qulash Frigate", "Plesh Brek Frigate"... the plesh brek definitely seems to imply the Breen carrier this winter, while the Qulash and Oschu are Elachi but they have no carriers at the moment... :tinfoil:

Bleth Choas fighter is the Breen fighter. Please let us get the Sar Theln flight-deck cruiser this Christmas and not a lovely science-heavy carrier. I just want one good flight-deck cruiser to tool around in instead of the god awful ones we've been given.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
Whats disappointing is that if they reduce the hp across the board for the pets, all the fighters will be even more painful to use in any situation with even the slightest aoe. Its not like making them not sit in warp core explosions is a better thing to fix anyway. A t6 carrier could be neat though.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Korgan posted:

Bleth Choas fighter is the Breen fighter. Please let us get the Sar Theln flight-deck cruiser this Christmas and not a lovely science-heavy carrier. I just want one good flight-deck cruiser to tool around in instead of the god awful ones we've been given.
Hey! You have the Gal-X, and the Bastion, and Bulwark, and the Orion- ... :smith:

You can kind of make the Gal-X work with A2B or the Phantom ship trait (TT1/A2B1, FAW1) but the firepower's a bit nerfed next to a proper cruiser. The Bulwark isn't... too bad now with three tac consoles, at least if you throw plasma on and use embassy science consoles, but that doesn't leave room for the set. The science-focused ones are basically write-offs though yeah. Considering both the Breen and Elachi pets have both fighters and frigates implies proper carriers though. Real question is where the hell the Elachi one will be from... is Cryptic planning to bring them back again as a main group next patch and have it as some event grind reward? Will it be limited time doff pack bullshit buy like the JHAS/Bulwark? Who knows.

ComradeBigT posted:

Whats disappointing is that if they reduce the hp across the board for the pets, all the fighters will be even more painful to use in any situation with even the slightest aoe. Its not like making them not sit in warp core explosions is a better thing to fix anyway. A t6 carrier could be neat though.
There's a whole lot of issues with fighters in general, and I imagine the cooldown reduction ship mastery is intended to... compensate a bit. Another annoying one is that they don't follow too closely when you go full impulse but drop out of it instantly in combat, so if you're zipping around the map a lot working on objectives (like in every space queue Cryptic's done in the past year...) half the time they'll be 15km away from the enemy and have to trundle in.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Well, we have details on the upcoming Breen fighters at least.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Any chance of picking up a raider on my alts?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sure! If you're klingon, just grab a bird of prey. If you're fed, you can buy a fleet aquarius. If you're Romulan... ... just fly a T'varo or Faeht and pretend? :v: Everyone can grab the Kazon raider (kinda crap, but cheap) or the Plesh Brek this winter (if you want to pass on the new ship, or have old alts who got one last year).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Sure! If you're klingon, just grab a bird of prey. If you're fed, you can buy a fleet aquarius. If you're Romulan... ... just fly a T'varo or Faeht and pretend? :v: Everyone can grab the Kazon raider (kinda crap, but cheap) or the Plesh Brek this winter (if you want to pass on the new ship, or have old alts who got one last year).

Don't need to pass on the new ship; you can just earn a different ship on each alt and then getting each for the others is only a single day's race. Assuming it's the same as this summer.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, duh. :downs: I can't imagine it will be different this time around though unless PWE demands new dumb bullshit.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

ComradeBigT posted:

Well, looks like some 'balancing' is coming to hangar pets soon. I guess they felt like a few types doing decent dps means they should nerf them all. A few of the names on that list seem to indicate they're adding new hangar ships in the future though, which is nice I guess, assuming they aren't complete poo poo.
I knew I was having too much fun with my JHAS pets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

Plesh Brek this winter (if you want to pass on the new ship, or have old alts who got one last year).

That's what I was asking, yeah. I accidentally ended up double-slotting the same ship project on most of my dudes last winter.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

they really are going to kill the contra turn in, aren't they? that will be when i actually quit.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Acer Pilot posted:

they really are going to kill the contra turn in, aren't they? that will be when i actually quit.

In accordance with the prophecy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Any tips re: maximising Starship Mastery quickly? I guess I should go earn that Guardian Cruiser's Starship Trait on my 'vette Feddie.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kill things. Not really much more you can do. Get a daily quest or something done if you can, else grinding patrols on normal is probably the fastest rate now. No, this is not remotely interesting or speedy. :effort:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I uninstalled. I'll come back if STO drastically improves, but I am totally uninterested right now.

It's been fun Dentals, Nerds, and Wesleys. Thanks Pulse for all the game advice.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

everyone retiring should send me all their things. ~tia

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Kill things. Not really much more you can do. Get a daily quest or something done if you can, else grinding patrols on normal is probably the fastest rate now. No, this is not remotely interesting or speedy. :effort:

Woo!

Let's AFK this bitch up.

Sadly I can't name it the USS FUCKIT

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

Woo!

Let's AFK this bitch up.

Sadly I can't name it the USS FUCKIT

Ugh, I think the ship looks drat classy, but god drat does that layout suck to me. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Having issues with computer crashing during space combat as of last night. My best guesses are either the PSU is going or the video card. Ground seems fine though.

Guess even my computer wants me to stop doing Argala runs.

Made it as far as 59 so I still won't be able to do bug hunt runs :smith:

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
http://imgur.com/a/LP9GC
Day 1:

I seem to have been somehow transported to the underworld of the planet of the dead.

A brief summary of my adventures down below include discovering that the Kobali capital resides atop what can only be described as a giant marshmellow, that the ground is indeed a one-sided lie, and that trees as well as rocks truely are lighter than air.

Furthermore my attempts to explore the great Pit of Nothingness below the LOD were thwarted by the dreaded and feared invisible walls of boredom and purgatory.

Towards the end of my journey and after quieting suspicions that my current transporter clone might indeed be evil, I chose to celebrate in my finest definitely-not-evil canon costumes and closed with a party that only Riven can truely appreciate.

Day 2:

After unsuccessful attempts to escape this magical subterranean realm (beamed out and oddly back in to the same spot) I appear to be trapped here, for now. Food supplies are running low, but thoughtfully I brought two of my officers and a pet.

The city-marshmellow also speaks in my mind now, it demands obedience and worship. As captain, I've chosen to lead the new Cult of the Cryptic Marshmellow.

Goat Pillager fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 4, 2014

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Cryptic must have noticed something was wrong. They've announced plans to lower the HP of normal/advanced mobs, increasing dil rewards and normalizing mark payouts, possible changes to the hard-fail conditions of advanced STFs, and making starship mastery gains faster. I'm in favor of most of the changes, though it remains to be seen if this will be enough to stop the bleeding.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
50% battlezone dilithium gain might make me come back, not gonna lie.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
As long as it makes space combat fun again, I am all for it. The other things I expect that they would do when they saw how much it made people to hate it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I thought starship mastery was mostly ok where it was, but the other stuff I'm all in favor of.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

-Troika- posted:

Personally I thought starship mastery was mostly ok where it was, but the other stuff I'm all in favor of.
It's been taking forever to get my last t5 ship mastery on my romulan, but that's probably because I got the other ship's T5 before they nerfed argala/japori, and I really haven't been playing much space content since then.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

-Troika- posted:

I think the ratio with XP gain is fine, the xp gain itself just was slow.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

g0del posted:

Cryptic must have noticed something was wrong. They've announced plans to lower the HP of normal/advanced mobs, increasing dil rewards and normalizing mark payouts, possible changes to the hard-fail conditions of advanced STFs, and making starship mastery gains faster. I'm in favor of most of the changes, though it remains to be seen if this will be enough to stop the bleeding.

Wait, no, I'd just given up on this game. Cryptic can... learn?

Honestly my biggest problem was throwing resources at the item upgrade 'system'. I'm heading away for a couple of weeks, but I might at least download the expansion when I get back now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The main problem is they don't seem to understand the effect that adding hard fail conditions to all the advanced queues seems to have had. It's just natural risk aversion; people don't want to waste twenty minutes (especially if you wind up a cooldown afterwards) even if the actual chance of it happening is fairly small. It's really blatant if you look at mirror invasion and you see that there's a good 160+ people doing normal, and... 5 or so doing advanced, when the ratio was probably around 50/50 last time the event came out. Or hell, even pre-expansion you could see the difference in the number of people doing ISE versus KSE/CSE despite the fact they were all piss-easy.

It's really baffling too, since the last few patches Cryptic has gone out of their way to avoid hard fail conditions for queues. The fact they mentioned they're not backing down on that makes me seriously wonder if some PWE retard is forcing it on them in order to keep overall rewards lower or something.

• Locked thread