Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

iceslice posted:

Boot chat! Did my last deployment in 2 pair of Solomons. High ankle for when you do night ops in the mountains and need extra support. Low ankle when you know you're going to make contact and need to run fast. The idea of "combat boots" is an absolute joke.

Your opinion on uniforms and regulations during deployment kind of doesn't count, operator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I remember a floor-to-ceiling pile of boxes filled with $300/pair Danners filling a corner of this weird cement brick HQ building our company took over in Wardak.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Changing uniforms on ship was the dumbest loving thing I encountered while enlisted. My experience was essentially the same as yours Mr.Nice!, except coming up from the well deck and having every sailor give me harsh looks due to my coveralls being coated with oil. The dumbest goddamn thing.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Uniform chat:

Spent 45 days living out of our trucks in the SRSA SW of Bagdad on my first pump, had a truck break down at the 22 day mark, all electric razors were dead and uniforms had been able to stand on their own, unassisted, for about a week when taken off. Went to TQ to get the truck fixed and got lifed out by a table full of rockers upon entry for a dirty uniform. In comes our Captain to save the day, not wearing any rank, with, "I'm sorry Top, you see, we work for a loving living." Then he put us all back in line. It was glorious.

On stupid uniform fucks: Got a tank mechanic SSgt who had never deployed (b-billets as recruiter & a hat on the island) to "lead" one of our sections in 08. First order of business? Wall locker and Alpha inspection. $600 later he's inspecting the married Marines with his whole whopping stack of 6 ribbons while LCPL's with 9+ laugh at him. T'was glorious.

On boots: Was it bates or danner that made the no-slip shop boots? Those were so comfortable.

On idiots in general: Watched an E6 get his rear end beat by an E4 with no repurcussions for the E4 because the LT said it needed to happen. Also watched the same E6 months later get some brig time for making restriction Marines gently caress in front of him when he was OOD if they had a girl in town and wanted some poon.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
haha this thread title

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cole posted:

haha this thread title

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Boot chat- why did timberland quit make Force Multipliers? They were the best boots. Out of regs, but so loving comfortable.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
If you aren't wearing Oakley SI Assault boots you're wearing the wrong boots.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Oglogoth posted:

The converse offerings aren't that bad either. I have a pair from both manufacturers and they sit even on my favorites list.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Oglogoth posted:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

New Balance/OTB Desert Lites were basically running shoes (They weigh marginally more than some Asics GT-2xxx running shoes) that looked like boots yet were still somehow very durable. It's really a shame they're discontinued.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought some new balance boots from a new balance discount website. 30 dollars they were. One boot had a bit of plastic that dug into my ankle that eventually went away. Best boots ever.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Garmont T8 Jungle boots and Danner Melee boots are fuckin' ace. One problem is that I don't think Danner makes them in tan any more. It seems they only offer black and multicam now. Lowa Zephyrs are pretty good if you're looking for a sneaker type of boot, but you'll bust the included shoe laces pretty quick. Replace them with 550 cord asap.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 31, 2014

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I wore 10 lb, ill-fitting, hot flight deck boots that the soles wore off of in 3-6 months from just walking on boat surfaces, I am very tempted to throw them away.

I wore Rocky S2V's that a buddy hooked me up with in Afghanistan and loved them, but I also never had to ruck march or do land nav courses or walk around outside the wire or any of that nonsense

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:

LCL-Dead posted:

On stupid uniform fucks: Got a tank mechanic SSgt who had never deployed (b-billets as recruiter & a hat on the island) to "lead" one of our sections in 08. First order of business? Wall locker and Alpha inspection. $600 later he's inspecting the married Marines with his whole whopping stack of 6 ribbons while LCPL's with 9+ laugh at him. T'was glorious.

On that same vein, we have a brand new early-twenties "everyone please take me seriously I'm not E5 anymore" E6 LPO who does uniform inspections boot camp style. Which is kind of annoying for us junior guys but laughable when she does it for people that have been in for almost 2 decades.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Sex Butts posted:

On that same vein, we have a brand new early-twenties "everyone please take me seriously I'm not E5 anymore" E6 LPO who does uniform inspections boot camp style. Which is kind of annoying for us junior guys but laughable when she does it for people that have been in for almost 2 decades.

When this dude showed up I had been in for a little over 3 years and had never done either a uniform or wall locker inspection. I was woefully unprepared, as we were either in the field, on leave or deployed for those first 3 years. It sucked. I ended up just keeping a fresh pair of Alpha's and all the poo poo I needed for a wall locker inspection in a locked tote in our SL3 cage for whenever he'd get a wild hair up his rear end.

His idea of "punishment" was to pull us into formation and parade march us around the ready ramp. Seriously.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Oglogoth posted:

I bought them, wore them for a week solid to break them in, including a short (4 mile) ruck. No issues, like walking on clouds. I wear them to drill, and some how- even though we weren't doing poo poo- they tore all the skin of the back of my heels. I swore them off then.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Oglogoth posted:

Wrong: If you're still wearing any boots for work you're wearing the wrong boots.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Wrong: If you're still wearing any boots for work you're wearing the wrong boots.

Can we add "or if your name is on your shirt" to that?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zeris posted:

Can we add "or if your name is on your shirt" to that?

Unless it's on the back above a number

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I wear nikes because I sit in an office on the computer like 90% of the time. High speed eod operator.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Hey Cole and any Florida GiP posters. Go vote in the morning. Yes on amendment 2 so we can all smoke trees legally.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Genocide Tendency posted:

Hey Cole and any Florida GiP posters. Go vote in the morning. Yes on amendment 2 so we can all smoke trees legally.

Even though I can't smoke cause of clearance poo poo, I'm voting so hard on that poo poo. The local precinct is run by olds and they are presumably very conservative. I like rolling in with my big homeless beard and tattoos and getting my ballot cause they always look at me with such disdain. When I voted in the primary they tried to complement my work but I could hear the hatred in their voice as I picked up my ~non-republican~ ballot.

Go suck 17 dicks old lady.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I did the early voting thing last Thursday, voted yes on Amendment 2 of course.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Florida's not the only one.

Alaska: Legalization with tax and regulation
Oregon: Legalization with tax and regulation
Washington, D.C.: Semi-legalization
Florida: Medical marijuana
Maine: Semi-legalization

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I early voted last week. Problem is we're going up against sheldon adelson. He's supported legal pot everywhere else, but he's fighting John Morgan for the governor's spot. He's dumped so god drat much money into attack ads saying "THIS IS SO TEENAGERS CAN GET WEED" so I'm worried :ohdear:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Already voted dawg. Gonna smoke dat medical poo poo soon.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I was going to say "Cole they don't give you medical cards for being retarded", but this is Florida so maybe they actually do. I hope it passes so Mr. Nice! can smoke weed legally and fulfill the prophecy of being a kind of scuzzy taco truck operating lawyer who routinely sleeps with college freshmen

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

maffew buildings posted:

I was going to say "Cole they don't give you medical cards for being retarded", but this is Florida so maybe they actually do. I hope it passes so Mr. Nice! can smoke weed legally and fulfill the prophecy of being a kind of scuzzy taco truck operating lawyer who routinely sleeps with college freshmen

Lol if you think you need a card to get your hands on the stuff.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

there is a poo poo ton of weed in Florida, especially the Tampa Bay area. However Old people that like to smoke weed or used to don't think even medical marijuana is a good idea for some weird rear end reason. I'd be surprised if it passes considering how many old fucks live in this state

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I like going to vote because I bring my gigantic dog with me and everyone pets her.

Except for the old guy who believed dogs cause cancer.

Stop causing cancer, you jerk.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Writer Cath posted:

I like going to vote because I bring my gigantic dog with me and everyone pets her.

Except for the old guy who believed dogs cause cancer.

Stop causing cancer, you jerk.

Dogs cure cancer.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Looks like no medical marijuana for Florida, old people ruin everything

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mustang posted:

Looks like no medical marijuana for Florida, old people ruin everything

Call the cops on retirement villages 24/7. Get the DEA up on this poo poo. Time for payback.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Oregon and Washington DC legalized it.

quote:

In Oregon, the law legalizes personal possession, manufacture and sale of marijuana for people 21 years of age and older. Mimicking similar plans in Washington State and Colorado, the Oregon law will also create a commercial regulatory system for the production, distribution and sale of marijuana.

Washington, D.C.'s proposal, while scaled back compared to the Oregon proposal, allows for a person over 21 years old to posses up to two ounces of marijuana for personal use and grow up to six cannabis plants in their home. It also allows people to transfer up to one ounce of marijuana to another person, but not sell it.

The issue is not fully resolved for the District of Columbia, however. Because of its unique status as a district, not a state, Congress has the authority to overrule D.C. laws and some lawmakers have signaled that they would likely work to overrule the popular vote.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
And it looks like Cali just made most drug and other non-violent crimes into misdemeanors.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Mustang posted:

there is a poo poo ton of weed in Florida, especially the Tampa Bay area. However Old people that like to smoke weed or used to don't think even medical marijuana is a good idea for some weird rear end reason. I'd be surprised if it passes considering how many old fucks live in this state

Tbh medical marijuana is a dumb and pretty unnecessary niche. Just legalize the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Derek Dominoe posted:

Tbh medical marijuana is a dumb and pretty unnecessary niche. Just legalize the stuff.

Its not dumb for insurance purposes, hut I agree just legalize it ya basta!