Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

Ummm...that's a pushrod motor you're comparing to overhead cam motors. They're nothing alike in timing requirements.

it's almost as if sometimes technology for the sake of technology is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

it's almost as if sometimes emissions regulations and fuel consumption tests are stupid

FTFY.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Serious question, are DOHC V8s from Audi that much more fuel efficient and less pollutant?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

it's almost as if sometimes technology for the sake of technology is stupid

Yes, high revving motors that can breath easy and produce more horsepower without being high strung are dumb. Just keep boring out cylinder buckets - NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Right, because the SBC powered performance cars are all fuel hogs.

S4 w/ DOHC V8 : 13MPG City, 20MPG Hwy
C6 Zo6 w/ LS7 : 16MPG Cuty, 25MPG Hwy

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 3, 2014

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Motronic posted:

Ummm...that's a pushrod motor you're comparing to overhead cam motors. They're nothing alike in timing requirements.

Oh, is this better?

e: sorry forgot 1

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eyebeem posted:

Right, because the SBC powered performance cars are all fuel hogs.

S4 w/ DOHC V8 : 13MPG City, 20MPG Hwy
C6 Zo6 w/ LS7 : 16MPG Cuty, 25MPG Hwy

To be fair, you should probably compare the Z06 to the R8, which is 11/20 with the (430hp) V8, or 12/19 for the (525hp) V10, or 13/22 for the V10 with SMG.

:v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

VikingSkull posted:

gear drive or nothing

WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE

My work vans have had the 4.8 (L20 I think) and that is listed as having a chain but they still whine some. At least I assume that's valvetrain noise I'm hearing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

discussing fuel economy of cars that destroy $1000 worth of tires ever 10k miles is dumb.

more here, :nws: ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic954529.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Whining :haw: about pushrods versus OHC versus fuel economy is not awesome, goddamnit. :colbert:

That truck is loving awesome, though.

Video from the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNl5RwEx7cU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
During the "stock-block" era in Indycars there were DOHC V8 TT engines (such as the Ilmor-Chevrolet or the Cosworth DFX) and OHV Engines from Buick and Chevrolet (in both forced induction and naturally aspirated form) and judging from what I've seen (late-80s-early 90s stuff mostly) the DOHC motors wiped the floor with the pushrod ones. Barring certain exceptions like the 1994 Mercedes Pushrod Indy engine, I'd say from a pure performance standpoint the DOHC engines were better.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

discussing fuel economy of cars that destroy $1000 worth of tires ever 10k miles is dumb.

more here, :nws: ads http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic954529.html

For just the briefest second, I thought that was an LT-5, which would have been :haw: as gently caress for a project like this.

1UZ is just fine, though.

Also like this bit from Google translate:

quote:

On the eve of the new 2014, was bought by an old Gazelle

Can't tell if this was originally GAZ or Impala, but either way, :mmmhmm: (original text is Газель, which seems to translate directly to gazelle, but who knows)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

During the "stock-block" era in Indycars there were DOHC V8 TT engines (such as the Ilmor-Chevrolet or the Cosworth DFX) and OHV Engines from Buick and Chevrolet (in both forced induction and naturally aspirated form) and judging from what I've seen (late-80s-early 90s stuff mostly) the DOHC motors wiped the floor with the pushrod ones. Barring certain exceptions like the 1994 Mercedes Pushrod Indy engine, I'd say from a pure performance standpoint the DOHC engines were better.

"Stock block" really meant "not OHC" - the Menard/Buick V6 was the only engine to have any serious attempt at being competitive that actually used a production-based design, but it just couldn't survive 500 miles. You're talking about an environment rife with oddball rules and equivalency formulas, combined with highly selective enforcement meant to shield the entrenched manufacturers and teams.

None of those DOHC V8s shared a drat thing with any production engine, and for that matter, neither did the only successful pushrod V8 of that era:

Which was an awesome project in and of itself. Penske completed test laps in a single snowplowed lane around Nazareth Speedway and were seriously afraid that the Andrettis living a relatively short distance away might hear that the engine was something special. Having 100+hp on the rest of the field, it certainly was.

Those equivalency formulas only applied to the 500 itself, so when you have to make your power with 2.65L and the same boost - you need to turn more RPM to make more power than the next guy, so pushrods just won't work. Of course, that engine is also 100% responsible for those formulas being removed, and is arguably one of the biggest reasons for The Split. So it's both awesome and awful.

In the rest of the world where engines don't see well north of 10,000RPM, though - pushrods work just fine. Look at the V8 Supercar rules - 5.0L NA V8 with a 7500RPM rev limit. Volvo, Nissan, and Mercedes are running overhead cam engines, Holden and Ford are running pushrods.

Here, in exchange for that block of :words: have some more AI images:

Cosworth DFV

The cam gears for said DFV

Or how about a twin-cam four-valve four cylinder pushing >700hp in 1974... that dates back to 1934?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 3, 2014

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I am aware that neither the DFX or Ilmor were anything close to production motors, just sayin'. And yeah, those Buicks by the end of it had very little in common with the production engines. Is the last engine an Offenhauser? I'm not too familiar with Indycars pre-1986.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Offys loving own, but Novis are cooler

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The March-Alfas were really loving bad. The Porsche had promise but they decided to go build a poo poo F1 engine in 1991 and then ran away from open wheel racing and haven't been seen in it since.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

VikingSkull posted:

What the gently caress is that from?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

I loving love the draw-through pressure carb. :black101:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

What the gently caress is that from?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Holy crap. It's perfect.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Welp. I'll never un-see that.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I seriously laugh way too hard every time I see that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that was the first time I had and it was basically :stonklol:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Reminds me of this classic:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ken Block's new gymkhana car

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That car looks like it was built to piss off every purist in every segment of auto enthusiasts.

:iia:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Making it AWD seems like it's not a Mustang anymore, but I guess the instant it fell into Ken Block's possession its days were numbered anyways.

It sure looks cool at least.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
I debated a thread of its own but decided that while it's awesome as hell to me it probably didn't need a whole thread. Sorry for the number of pics. I have a shitload more but these are the best.

Last Sunday I got to drive my '61 Thunderbird around CotA. On USGP day, with 100,000 people in the stands, on international TV, with Felipe Massa riding on back. I think I mentioned I was going to do this in a thread somewhere. If there's interest I'll do a longer write up in its own small thread with more pics.

Showed up at the track at 06:30 on race day.

The parade cars were lined up outside the grandstand gate in the shadow of Turn 1.

Lined up in the paddocks just before the parade. Turn 1 in the background.

Lined up on the front straight ready to pick up our fares.

Felipe Massa sitting in my backseat being interviewed by Sky Sports.

Vettel took over driving duties of the Cobra in front of me.

A couple shots from the stands of us on the track. First shot is a Sky Sports screen shot.

My dashboard was defaced at the end of the parade.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

xzzy posted:

Making it AWD seems like it's not a Mustang anymore,

Who gives a poo poo?

MrYenko posted:

That car looks like it was built to piss off every purist in every segment of auto enthusiasts.

:iia:

Haha, you were right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kill-9 posted:

That is totally awesome dude.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dev null posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

Because oversteer is fun? And watching Ken Block fling a RWD Mustang around a parking lot would be fun too.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

xzzy posted:

Because oversteer is fun? And watching Ken Block fling a RWD Mustang around a parking lot would be fun too.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I quoted the part where it seemed like you were crying about it not being like a Mustang anymore.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

there's not an AWD system in the world that's going to prevent oversteer from the mill under that hood

that thing is north of 1,000hp

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Kill-9 posted:

I debated a thread of its own but decided that while it's awesome as hell to me it probably didn't need a whole thread. Sorry for the number of pics. I have a shitload more but these are the best.

Last Sunday I got to drive my '61 Thunderbird around CotA. On USGP day, with 100,000 people in the stands, on international TV, with Felipe Massa riding on back. I think I mentioned I was going to do this in a thread somewhere. If there's interest I'll do a longer write up in its own small thread with more pics.

That's awesome dude. I guess I definitely saw you go by then. Sat at turn 12. By far the best turn to be at at CotA.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

This is glorious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dev null posted:

Yeah, I agree. That's why I quoted the part where it seemed like you were crying about it not being like a Mustang anymore.

Nah, you just read too much into it. I don't give a poo poo if it's a Mustang now or in the past.

I just saw the picture and briefly hoped Ken Block was making a video in a RWD vehicle, I'd love to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

Showed up at the track at 06:30 on race day.

The parade cars were lined up outside the grandstand gate in the shadow of Turn 1.

Lined up in the paddocks just before the parade. Turn 1 in the background.

Lined up on the front straight ready to pick up our fares.

Felipe Massa sitting in my backseat being interviewed by Sky Sports.

Vettel took over driving duties of the Cobra in front of me.

A couple shots from the stands of us on the track. First shot is a Sky Sports screen shot.

That is a beautiful colour on your Thunderbird. Also, Z. Zauz?

loving cool as hell, dude! Once in a lifetime experience!