Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I'm of two minds on the new presentation. On the one hand I love some of the new effects they've included (emissive colors, animated walls, etc.) On the other something about pixelated graphics moving at sub-pixel amounts always throws me off.

Regardless, game seems fun, and the new content/items show a lot of promise even after one run. I'm looking forward to playing more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Watching you guys cry about not being able to play right on 1:00pm was beautiful. Never change Steam.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo I just got a Placenta
This game is perfect.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Einwand posted:

So I just beat mom with the bible, and I completed the purist challenge apparently?

I did the same thing. You unlocked the purist challenge, not beat it.

e: Beat Mom on my first run ever! It took me way too long to even get to Mom in the original.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

First run, killed by a trinket I picked up Mom's Toenail

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Brackhar posted:

I'm of two minds on the new presentation. On the one hand I love some of the new effects they've included (emissive colors, animated walls, etc.) On the other something about pixelated graphics moving at sub-pixel amounts always throws me off.

I'm happy they put the blurry filter on. The borders are less distracting and arbitrary

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is it out out playstation

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Davincie posted:

is it out out playstation

Not yet but the store's currently updating so it should be really soon.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Brackhar posted:

Regardless, game seems fun, and the new content/items show a lot of promise even after one run. I'm looking forward to playing more!

At first I was afraid it was maybe too dumbed down because I wasn't getting hit at all, but I finally started loving up like old times.

I'm mixed on the music, it's okay but it is not nearly as melodic which is fine except the old tunes were pretty great and I'm amazed they didn't just remix them.

The graphics are mostly fine but some stuff is so obvious that they took images from the old game and pixel-filtered it that it comes off as garish and hard to read. The text/menu stuff mostly. Oh well whatever, I started to enjoy it so I'm happy I think. It feels smooth like buttah without that Flash jank feeling.

skull wall fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 4, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man, one of the new buddies follows you around and lays down a sticky trail that slows everything, while also apparently spitting out blue spiders at random(?) intervals which track and do damage. It's pretty awesome.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Killed on my first run. Picked up a lot of trinkets with no discernible effects. A new follower called Headless Baby. Some tear effect items, one of which had an appr. 50% chance of teleporting me to a random room within the level when hit. Of course it would reset the room in that case, including boss fights. drat you.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My first run ended in the room right before Mom.

I had the Bible.

:negative:

e: Won't be as disheartening if it turns out it doesn't one-shot Mom anymore, but :bang:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Beat Mom on the first go; I ended with flaming tears that exploded upon hitting enemies and occasionally poisoned them and occasionally caused fear while also firing twice as fast after I got hit in a room with one eye doing twice as much damage as the other. Game's pretty loving awesome so far, as remakes go.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just went into a room and a big hand picked me up and teleported me to a different room.

Also I bombed open a room with a bed in it that refilled all my hearts.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 4, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I got a black cape from the devil room that gave me sin hearts. I have no idea what sin hearts do :confused:

Got myself killed on mom on my first run, excellent so far!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Disgusting Coward posted:

First run.
First mom kill.
Yes sir.

:):respek::)

Just got it as well. Brimstone + a bunch of damage upgrades + slowdown buddy was pretty easy.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
First run, first mom kill. Mutant spider is as ridiculous as ever.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Holy poo poo the new familiars are great! I got a bum demon that picks up hearts and gives soul hearts and a brimstone baby that works exactly like the regular brimstone Can't wait to break the game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
so i just picked up the explosive diarrhea pill and nearly blew myself to high heaven

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Anyone else unlocked Azazel yet? I got a bunch of devil room offers on my second run. He's got no heart containers, flight, and a VERY short range brimstone. Instead of heart containers he has black hears.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got an item on basement 1 that turns my tears into a giant orb that I control with wasd. Made this run a cake walk

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

New boss Mega Fatty's jump usually lands before I can get my stick out of the deadzone Also found a new spacebar item called flush, but can't figure out what it actually does.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Demiurge4 posted:

I got a black cape from the devil room that gave me sin hearts. I have no idea what sin hearts do :confused:

Got myself killed on mom on my first run, excellent so far!

Sin hearts explode and do damage to the entire room when they are expended. At least I think those are sin hearts. The black ones.

I got an item called (I think) the charger, with the description "charge your soul". It had no item charge, apparently did nothing when I hit space, and couldn't be charged by the batteries that are dropped. I have no idea what this thing was supposed to do. I replaced it with a spider butt eventually and then forgot to use it during the mom fight.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What do the black hearts do by the way? I got a bunch of them on my run but was too overwhelmed with new stuff to notice what the effect was whenever they occasionally "triggered".

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Well, it seems like a bunch of other people have issues with some types of keyboard being incapacitated by the game, making the game 100% unplayable, guess I'll have to use my gamepad. Feel sorry for all the people who don't have one.

Hope there's a bugfix soon, and also mouse support.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Sin hearts explode and do damage to the entire room when they are expended. At least I think those are sin hearts. The black ones.

I got an item called (I think) the charger, with the description (charge your soul). It had no item charge, apparently did nothing when I hit space, and couldn't be charged by the batteries that are dropped. I have no idea what this thing was supposed to do. I replaced it with a spider butt eventually and then forgot to use it during the mom fight.

Yeah, I can confirm this the black hearts hurt all enemies when they take their last hit. Just got a mom kill. If you get enough fly items you get an achievement called Lord of the Flies and it gives you flight. It's either 4 flies total or three special flies. I'm not sure which. Also, the revenge fly item owns. If you take damage the fly continuously attacks all of the enemies in the room until they're all dead.

Some of the new pill effects I found were one called Lemon Party which is like a full room Lemon Mishap, and one called "I'm a wizard" or something that made me shoot two diagonal shots instead of my regular straight ahead shots for a few rooms.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 4, 2014

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can you not use the mouse to shoot because I want to use the mouse to shoot.

volcultsmer
Dec 18, 2004
I ated the purple berries
Just completed my first run. This is awesome!

Also, got the bible for an easy first mom kill.

New stuff I have found so far:

* Black hearts. Not sure what they do.
* Hidden trap door under rocks which takes you to a devil like room with 5 items for a heart each, then allows you to skip the boss!
* Brimstone baby - Follower with the brimstone laser shot. Basically got me through the entire run
* Headless baby - Leaves damaging blood trail

volcultsmer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 4, 2014

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Can you not use the mouse to shoot because I want to use the mouse to shoot.

Doesn't look that way.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

volcultsmer posted:

Just completed my first run. This is awesome!

Also, got the bible for an easy first mom kill.

New stuff I have found so far:

* Black hearts. Not sure what they do.
* Hidden trap door under rocks which takes you to a devil like room with 5 items for a heart each, then allows you to skip the boss!

Oh that's what the trap door did. I saw one on the first level but didn't take it because I assumed it was just a skip.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Good job on this game...managed to hard lock the game and require a reboot off of the menu screen. I'm already thinking of going back to regular BoI until a patch or two hits.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

i am sending you this from a lovely small room with three rabid cousins of Grub
DONT USE TELEPILLS

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Hey cool. My game crashed but there's a continue option. Awesome.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
On my first run I somehow opened up a ladder similar to what the shovel does in the original game on Depths 2 so I beat Mom's Heart on my first run.

Take that mom kill on first run dudes. :smuggo:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I became Guppy on the Slow Roll challenge:

Game owns.

e: One shotted Mom.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

My first run ended in the room right before Mom.

I had the Bible.

:negative:

e: Won't be as disheartening if it turns out it doesn't one-shot Mom anymore, but :bang:

It totally does still one-shot Mom. Sorry, man.

Basement Boy complete! :woop:

Does anyone know what the clock symbol means in the between-levels screen? I can't figure it out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One run, one mom down.

Not really a fan of the new music nor the new sound design. It might grow on me over time, who knows, but at the moment I feel like both are a step down from the original.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Oh that's what the trap door did. I saw one on the first level but didn't take it because I assumed it was just a skip.

I found one that took me to a room which was side-on with ladders and a chest

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kaethela posted:

It totally does still one-shot Mom. Sorry, man.

Basement Boy complete! :woop:

Does anyone know what the clock symbol means in the between-levels screen? I can't figure it out.

I'm assuming it's your speed record. I let it catch up to me on one floor and it doesn't seem to actually affect the game but maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

You can rebind the keys in the options, and reset back to default, so you can set shift for bombs pretty easily.

Cannot find mouse support for the life of me, which means I'm basically not going to be able to play until it's there.

Ok, I didn't know about this and it's a major deal-breaker.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's a cool as hell bug if you're using certain logitech keyboards that makes your keyboard stop responding a few mins after having the game launched. Bunch of people in the community hub are also having this problem, loving great.

Yeah, it's awesome. My Logitech G110 just ceases to function at all after loading the game. Can't alt-f4 or anything. Starting the game windowed and closing it when it bugs doesn't unfuck the keyboard either. I have to restart the loving PC.

So what I'm saying is I would be annoyed with the control-scheme gently caress up if I could play the game at all.