Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Gimnbo posted:

What actually is the difference between a Crossfit gym and a non-Crossfit gym?

Volume and seismic activity.

But seriously: I think crossfit specific "gyms" aren't set up for anything but crossfit and are generally just large empty garages in industrial parks so they can set up obstacle courses and jump off poo poo while thunder-thrusting a rolling pin through a vat of Nickelodeon GAK. You know, to train your glutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gimnbo posted:

A couple hundred dollars a month and a really stupid cavalier attitude towards injury, safety, and proper form.

And a really obnoxious cult-like atmosphere. It's basically the Scientology of fitness: expensive, stupid, and dangerous.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A couple hundred dollars a month and a really stupid cavalier attitude towards injury, safety, and proper form.

And a really obnoxious cult-like atmosphere. It's basically the Scientology of fitness: expensive, stupid, and dangerous.

Don't forget that one of their mascots is called Uncle Rhabdo, because working so hard that your kidneys fail is a good thing.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

Crossfit gyms are what someone designing a playground for retard-strength children lugging huge weights around would make.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CombatBonta-kun posted:

Don't forget that one of their mascots is called Uncle Rhabdo, because working so hard that your kidneys fail is a good thing.

:stare: I'm sorry what?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Crain posted:

:stare: I'm sorry what?

Basically overexerting yourself to the point that your muscles literally loving explode just means you're a total beast.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
No seriously, that just raises more questions and I'm not sure I'm gonna like what the answers are :catstare:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gimnbo posted:

Absolutely nothing.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Absolutely nothing.

Hey, branding and marketing qualify as things.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Double Plus Good posted:

If nothing else, everyone needs to see this gif of the guy's response to the female panelist's point that reacting to street harassment often leads to escalating violence and that a woman was killed recently for doing just that:

I've never wanted to pop a person in their smug loving mouth so badly.

Here's the cover of his book,

:smug: all around

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Tab8715 posted:

I wish it were possible to hate someone to death.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I wish it were possible to hate someone to death.

Maybe if we all concentrate really, really hard.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Tracula posted:

Is there a Godwin's Law for the 1st Amendment?

Sandweed posted:

The rule is that when someone brings up freedom of speech they never have any idea what it's actually about.

Couple pages back, but to add to this:

Whenever there are 2 or more conflicting opinions only the one you agree with is protected by Freedom of Speech.

I was reminded of this because my mom just posted something about an OITNB actress getting into a argument on a subway with someone who was loudly reading the bible. The comments were all "SHUT UP ITS HIS RIGHT FREEDOM OF SPEECH" while somehow hilariously forgetting the same thing applies to her.

(assuming none of them were guilty of anything else like causing a public disturbance or whatever)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

Holy poo poo I thought this was a joke and the red text was added, but this is the actual cover.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Don Gato posted:

No seriously, that just raises more questions and I'm not sure I'm gonna like what the answers are :catstare:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-robertson/crossfit-rhabdomyolysis_b_3977598.html

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Someone asked the CrossFitter how they managed to cut themselves while doing a lift:

quote:

I was doing overhead squat on a squat rack and had to drop the weight. I was stupid and threw my hand under the bar to stabilize it. My finger ended up between the bar and the squat rack. Luckily no bones broken, just some gross flesh oozing out. A few stitches, and probably no lifting for a week or two, because my hand's in a splint. Never would happened at Crossfit, because the bar would have dropped all the way to the ground. No chance for me to be stupid there!

:stare:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
flesh oozing out
:catstare:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

So a Crossfit gym is just a wholesale gym supply warehouse? Just a big empty space full of free weights?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tab8715 posted:

Holy poo poo someone might be coming close to out-douching Tucker Max.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Holy poo poo someone might be coming close to out-douching Tucker Max.

Has Tucker actually done anything outrageously politically incorrect?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

There is no :psyduck: Big enough for what I just read. And people do this willingly?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Don Gato posted:

There is no :psyduck: Big enough for what I just read. And people do this willingly?

PAIN IS WEAKNESS (and kidney function) LEAVING THE BODY.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Someone asked the CrossFitter how they managed to cut themselves while doing a lift:

:stare:

Never would've happened at a CrossFit gym, because at CrossFit gyms we squat out in the open with no safeties OORAH no chance for me to be stupid when the bar snaps my neck and paralyzes me for life!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Then there's this dude

:nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tMsa26v23g

He's paralyzed now.

E:

Kevin Ogar posted:

“A lot of people have come out and said, ‘Oh no, CrossFit injured him.’ No, CrossFit did not injure me, nor did the CrossFit methodology. A barbell injured me. If anything, CrossFit has made me stronger to be able to recover and heal from this injury faster,” Kevin says.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Nov 4, 2014

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure it was the Crossfit methodology that had you doing a technically-demanding lift after you were already fatigued, bud.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gimnbo posted:

So a Crossfit gym is just a wholesale gym supply warehouse? Just a big empty space full of free weights?

Basically. They also have pullups bars and and exercise balls and but yeah, basically a place where people pay a few hundred bucks a month to WORK OUT till they vomit/their muscles tear/skeletal injuries happen.

For reference you can get a decently equipped gym with cardio and people who will help you make sure you're doing the motion slowly, resisting both ways, and keeping the strain off of your joints for like $50 a month easy.

e: vvv Basically, it makes workouts very social. This is a good thing, it just happens to be literally the ONLY good thing about the entirety of crossfit.

Shugojin has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Nov 4, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's made crossfit so popular? Wouldn't people be a little leery of a workout program that results in so many injuries?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

What's made crossfit so popular? Wouldn't people be a little leery of a workout program that results in so many injuries?

From my experience it doesn't really result in that many injuries all told for the average participant. But that's probably because it uses fairly low weight in a lot of it's "exercises" since it focuses on "move around a lot and do things rapidly!" when it comes to doing things. This means that it's hard to really gently caress up with the terrible forms they teach since the damage in doing a poor dead lift with 40lbs is long term strain and joint damage (which will get blamed on aging and not terrible crossfit forms) instead of an acute tear (or in the case posted above: paralysis). Plus it's generally fun since it has you "DOING THANGS! RUNNING AROUND! MOTIONS!" instead of controlled muscle training and just doing repetitive cardio.

It's basically adult recess.

The problem comes in when muscle heads who get into cross fit and try to maintain doing squats and jerks and such with weights they used to use when just doing those exercises alone. Now their fatigued and trying to do a "power jerk" or some poo poo with bad form and also have 135lbs ready to fall on their spine with no safety gear or spotter to catch the bar.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tab8715 posted:

Marketing and poo poo standards lets any rear end in a top hat open up a crossfit shop. It can work if done safely but hahaha no.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Even the social aspect of crossfit is bad because it makes you want to try and impress others thus being more prone to injury. It's a drat cult

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Here's something from the opposite side of the spectrum:

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
I hear that "uses less fabric" thing all the time. Is there really any truth behind that? It'd probably explain thongs, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TrekBek posted:

I hear that "uses less fabric" thing all the time. Is there really any truth behind that? It'd probably explain thongs, though.

It's more that you have to recut patterns for plus sizes that raises the cost, not the actual cost of fabric per garment. Tall sizes also generally cost more, for the same reason, not for the extra inches of material at the hemline.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

Here's something from the opposite side of the spectrum:

The worst thing about this is the guy admitting he used to eat at McDonalds several times a day :stonk:. I only ever end up there every few weeks when I absolutely can't find the time to get something else, and even then I generally half-regret it because it's fairly bland for the price as well as unhealthy as balls.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's more that you have to recut patterns for plus sizes that raises the cost, not the actual cost of fabric per garment. Tall sizes also generally cost more, for the same reason, not for the extra inches of material at the hemline.

First I hit my head on everything now my clothes cost more? loving short privileged assholes.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You're also more likely to suffer from heart disease and arthritis.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

DemeaninDemon posted:

First I hit my head on everything now my clothes cost more? loving short privileged assholes.

Kill heighty!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Perestroika posted:

The worst thing about this is the guy admitting he used to eat at McDonalds several times a day :stonk:. I only ever end up there every few weeks when I absolutely can't find the time to get something else, and even then I generally half-regret it because it's fairly bland for the price as well as unhealthy as balls.

It disgusts me because I haven't eaten McDonalds in years so I can't comprehend how anyone could choose to go there, much less multiple times a day, every day.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well the Monopoly game is still going on right? That's the only reason i ever got to McDonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
So election results are coming in. I suppose I should check Twitter for people's reactio-

Oh.

• Locked thread