Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Yeah, I'll look into getting 15s.

Anyone turn into a lovely crybaby when their dose wears off for the day? Like if I'm trying to do something mentally taxing and the Adderall wears off, I want to throw whatever I'm working on at the wall and scream gently caress THIS. Extended release really helps taper the dose off gradually, I can't tolerate the up and down of instant release through the day, but I tend to get hyperfocused, working through pain/fatigue until I'm run the gently caress down and my gf has to tell me to stop doing ___. I got a new phone a few months ago and Samsung has this weird thing you have to do to get windows to read the drive as a storage device, and I was only five minutes in before losing all my patience and wanting to heave my phone at the floor.

I had adderall in college and it made me paranoid as gently caress. Like "that guy is following me" as I was walking back to my dorm type paranoid.

I'm on 20 mg of the generic ritalin twice a day and it works wonders for me. I tend to take them both at once instead of one pill twice a day. Strattera did absolutely nothing for me.

I'm like two different people with or without my pills. On my bad days I get so distracted it's not even safe for me to drive long distances because I can't concentrate on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

signalnoise posted:

There's multiple good reasons I talked to my doctor about this before doing it, I am meeting up with her and my talkie doctor in two weeks, and I have their numbers in case things get bad. I have my wife, I've talked to my boss about getting medical leave and even if they deny it to me I can work from home to prevent vehicle accidents. Aside from feeling absolutely terrible for a few weeks I think I should be OK. Also the plan is to get back to knowing what vanilla brain tastes like before trying out any more toppings so to speak. Thanks for well-wishes though goons! :)

Yeah man, as the last poster just said, be sure to be able to tell what is real and what is just your head talking, that's the biggest thing. As long as you have the support network that you do though, I think you'll be fine. Please keep the thread updated. Btw isn't their still an antidepressant thread that might be able to give you more advice than here?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Smoothrich posted:

Don't thank us thank your wife in advance haha. Hope you got some TV or games to binge on while you get straight.

And food...after dropping that cocktail I get the feeling you will be eating...a lot.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

My doctor was meant to phone back on Thursday at 11am to talk medication with me. It's Monday. My gut instinct is to keep phoning every single day until he finally replies. Is this the right thing to do, or is there a less frustratingly tedious way to get him to RING ME BACK ALREADY

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Freudian posted:

My doctor was meant to phone back on Thursday at 11am to talk medication with me. It's Monday. My gut instinct is to keep phoning every single day until he finally replies. Is this the right thing to do, or is there a less frustratingly tedious way to get him to RING ME BACK ALREADY

Just call once in the morning everyday. Or ask the secretary if they can fax the prescription slip to the pharmacy if you can't come in and pick it up. Don't want to make yourself look too desperate.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Just call once in the morning everyday. Or ask the secretary if they can fax the prescription slip to the pharmacy if you can't come in and pick it up. Don't want to make yourself look too desperate.

He's offered to prescribe me something and asked me to phone back if I decided "yes" - so I'm doing that. I'm not desperate for anything other than to actually get to the next bloody step.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Freudian posted:

He's offered to prescribe me something and asked me to phone back if I decided "yes" - so I'm doing that. I'm not desperate for anything other than to actually get to the next bloody step.

Yeah but some doctors or secretaries might take it the wrong way. Just saying, be careful with how much you call him. Leave a message for him and at the end say something like "If I haven't heard back from you by tomorrow night I'll call you on X day again, thanks!"

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm getting retested later this week but it's been so long since I last had one (and I was so young when they did it) I forget what the test entails. Is it like a questionaire or a blood test or 'we're gonna watch you real closely and see if you look like you're thinking ten things at once', what? I'm a little nervous and knowing in advance would help a lot I think.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Astrofig posted:

I'm getting retested later this week but it's been so long since I last had one (and I was so young when they did it) I forget what the test entails. Is it like a questionaire or a blood test or 'we're gonna watch you real closely and see if you look like you're thinking ten things at once', what? I'm a little nervous and knowing in advance would help a lot I think.

They may just ask you some questions about how you function during the day, you may get a written quiz that asks you to evaluate on a scale whether certain statements are true for you and to what degree. They'll probably take a history that includes your educational background, ask if you've been diagnosed before or if anyone in your family has.

As a side note, it would be nice to be able to take my prescription to a pharmacy without needing to travel to 4 different ones because they allegedly don't carry my (very common, low) strength of meds and refuse to call to find out who has it in stock. I worked in pharmacy for 5 years and it's really annoying to have them lie right to my face about certain things when I just want to get my loving prescription filled.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Except they likely don't have any in stock and it's likely illegal for them in your state to tell you who/when is holding schedule 2 drugs. I know for a fact that in my state they can't tell me if another store has them stocked or when/if the store im at will get them stocked

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

uG posted:

Except they likely don't have any in stock and it's likely illegal for them in your state to tell you who/when is holding schedule 2 drugs. I know for a fact that in my state they can't tell me if another store has them stocked or when/if the store im at will get them stocked

I worked in pharmacy in this state for 5 years, and I still work in the industry. It isn't illegal, they just don't like giving out the information over the phone. It's likely not illegal in your state either, it's just not something they broadcast due to the risk of being robbed/swarmed with prescriptions. I had one pharmacist tell me (whom I had worked with for 3 years at the same chain she's working for now) that they "aren't putting any more patients on adderall" at her store. They likely do have it, they just don't like filling narcotics.

e: I know it's a lie because I used to tell patients the same thing to get them to stop bothering me about trying to track down their oxy somewhere.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
well drat, I didn't think multiple pharmacies would tell me the same lie :psyduck:

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

uG posted:

well drat, I didn't think multiple pharmacies would tell me the same lie :psyduck:

It's just an industry thing, and nobody wants to call around asking about narcotics. But if you are a cancer patient, or you know someone who will do it for you, it's possible. People just say it because it's easier to say "oh gosh sorry I would love to but it's illegal to release that information" than it is to explain that you don't want to call and they don't want to tell anybody what they have in the safe.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I've been on Strattera for two weeks now. I was given the starter pack that ramps up the dosage after a few days, and once I got out of the 5mg zone (currently at 60) I started getting testicle pain/sensitivity (think blue balls but lasts for most of the day). I know it's related because I skipped a day on purpose to test and had no pain.

Did anyone else experience this? I really like what Strattera is doing for me, so I don't want to jump ship just yet, but I also don't want to risk doing permanent damage.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

FrenchToasty posted:

I've been on Strattera for two weeks now. I was given the starter pack that ramps up the dosage after a few days, and once I got out of the 5mg zone (currently at 60) I started getting testicle pain/sensitivity (think blue balls but lasts for most of the day). I know it's related because I skipped a day on purpose to test and had no pain.

Did anyone else experience this? I really like what Strattera is doing for me, so I don't want to jump ship just yet, but I also don't want to risk doing permanent damage.

I would speak to your doctor as soon as possible, I am only on 40mg at the moment but if my balls starting aching I would be super worried.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Finally got round to telling my mum I want to get assessed for ADHD. She was a bit skeptical and said she doesn't see me like the kids she works with who have it (she's a social worker). I think I'm going to try to explain that I don't feel much in common with the hyperactive symptoms but that those aren't a necceasery thing for diagnosis.

I think she's just farmilliar with disruptive kids in her job and she admits that she doesn't know what the clinical diagnosis involves. So isn't actively discouraging me to get checked out.

I wanna talk about it more ahead of going to my gp on Thursday. I'm just worried that she'll think I was alright growing up. She's already told me I was surviving alright at uni and I'm depressed lately and i was being on top of things, but I know that's bollocks because she rarely saw me and I struggled with everyday things a lot. I was just alright at pretending that things were OK.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I've been on Concerta for a while now, started at 27mg and now I'm at 54mg, but I don't really notice a difference between the dosages. It clears my mind and I feel like I have more energy but I still struggle with motivation and staying concentrated.

I'm debating asking my doc if I can try dexamphetamines to see if they work better in that regard.

Anyone got experience with going from methylphenidate to dexamphetamines?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

pippy posted:

Finally got round to telling my mum I want to get assessed for ADHD. She was a bit skeptical and said she doesn't see me like the kids she works with who have it (she's a social worker). I think I'm going to try to explain that I don't feel much in common with the hyperactive symptoms but that those aren't a necceasery thing for diagnosis.

I think she's just farmilliar with disruptive kids in her job and she admits that she doesn't know what the clinical diagnosis involves. So isn't actively discouraging me to get checked out.

I wanna talk about it more ahead of going to my gp on Thursday. I'm just worried that she'll think I was alright growing up. She's already told me I was surviving alright at uni and I'm depressed lately and i was being on top of things, but I know that's bollocks because she rarely saw me and I struggled with everyday things a lot. I was just alright at pretending that things were OK.

Sounds like your mom raised you good and sees you as smart and capable. You can be all that but still find yourself over your head when you're an adult and don't feel equipped to organize your responsibilities to match your values or ambitions.

I explained to my first doctor when I was seeking initial treatment for adhd that I wasn't depressed, but I couldn't accomplish anything right and it becomes really bad for your self esteem. He said a pill can't fix that, I said I was seeing a therapist to set and understand my goals, and meds would help me accomplish them. Was a good plan.. til my insurance expired :-(

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm getting really sick of screwing around with different medications and dosages. I was on Adderall which worked fantastic but made me grumpy and caused heart palpitations (:stonk:) so my doctor switched me to Concerta, then I was taking Ritalin in afternoons to extend the effect because it wore off too fast, then we switched to a combination of Wellbutrin and Concerta for various reasons, then it was just a really high dose of Concerta, and now I'm on Vyvanse and it ain't doing poo poo. So of course when I tell the nurse that taking Vyvanse is observably identical to taking nothing, she gets back to me and says my doctor's going to try raising the dosage by 10mg for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. So now I get to take slightly more of the drug that has done absolutely nothing for the past month to see if it still does nothing.
I have so much work to do and this isn't helping at all :negative:

I wish I could go back to Adderall. It was expensive as hell but god drat it worked. Those palpitations though :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Heart palpitations aren't a health concern in and of themselves, they just mean you're unusually aware of your own pulse. Why would that be reason to switch you off of Adderall if it works for you otherwise?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Did you try changing dosage? I get the fluttery chest symptoms when I take too low a dose of Adderall, and especially when I'm on it and drink coffee. Palpitations aren't dangerous on their own though, just uncomfortable and weird.

The grumpiness is definitely a thing though.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 4, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Heart palpitations aren't a health concern in and of themselves, they just mean you're unusually aware of your own pulse. Why would that be reason to switch you off of Adderall if it works for you otherwise?

They were caused by an unusually high heart rate while I was at rest, and when the doctor checked my pulse he mentioned something about it sounding slightly irregular or a murmur or something, I don't recall exactly. All I know is that the doctor "hmmed" when I mentioned it, checked my pulse, looked at my medical history, and fairly quickly concluded that it was time to change my meds.

If this keeps up much longer I think I'm going to inquire about trying Adderall again on a trial dose anyway. I'll keep a careful eye on things and get checked up regularly. It's been months and months since I completely stopped consuming caffeine of any kind, my diet's improved considerably, and I sleep much better than I used to (I'm all boring responsible dad and poo poo now), so we'll see what the doctor thinks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

They were caused by an unusually high heart rate while I was at rest, and when the doctor checked my pulse he mentioned something about it sounding slightly irregular or a murmur or something, I don't recall exactly. All I know is that the doctor "hmmed" when I mentioned it, checked my pulse, looked at my medical history, and fairly quickly concluded that it was time to change my meds.

If this keeps up much longer I think I'm going to inquire about trying Adderall again on a trial dose anyway. I'll keep a careful eye on things and get checked up regularly. It's been months and months since I completely stopped consuming caffeine of any kind, my diet's improved considerably, and I sleep much better than I used to (I'm all boring responsible dad and poo poo now), so we'll see what the doctor thinks.

Were you taking XR or IR? XR gave me palpitations nonstop which was a big reason I switched to IR. I don't think my body liked the gradual release of stimulants, it felt like I was dumping adrenaline all day.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Weird. As heart rate goes, all stimulants have pretty much the same side effects. Ritalin and Vyvanse (which is really just Adderall again) really shouldn't do anything different.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Were you taking XR or IR? XR gave me palpitations nonstop which was a big reason I switched to IR. I don't think my body liked the gradual release of stimulants, it felt like I was dumping adrenaline all day.

Huh. I was taking the time-release version. Maybe I'll ask about trying the single-dose version instead.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Huh. I was taking the time-release version. Maybe I'll ask about trying the single-dose version instead.

XR sucks in my opinion and exists more because it can't be abused than for any therapeutic advantage over IR. It doesn't do anything that you can't do by spacing out dosages of IR. I personally just take 1 dose of IR in the morning and don't need a 2nd dose unless I know I'll be driving really late that night or something.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

XR sucks in my opinion and exists more because it can't be abused than for any therapeutic advantage over IR. It doesn't do anything that you can't do by spacing out dosages of IR. I personally just take 1 dose of IR in the morning and don't need a 2nd dose unless I know I'll be driving really late that night or something.

Unless taking medication at regular intervals throughout the day is something you struggle with because you have ADHD.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

In my case I tend toward time-release meds because regular medications seem to burn out REALLY fast for me, but I could try spacing out a couple of individual doses. Thanks for the input; I'll discuss it with my doctor.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

In my case I tend toward time-release meds because regular medications seem to burn out REALLY fast for me, but I could try spacing out a couple of individual doses. Thanks for the input; I'll discuss it with my doctor.

Again, could be a low dosage issue. Adderall is a half-life drug so a higher dose tends to be effective longer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Freudian posted:

Unless taking medication at regular intervals throughout the day is something you struggle with because you have ADHD.
Nah, can't be. We're all so good at remembering appointments and stuff.

I've tried Ritalin IR and XR and honestly noticed no real difference. The XR version takes a bit longer to kick in, but lasting almost twice as long is a pretty good tradeoff for getting up 20 minutes earlier. Weird how different that is for everyone.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Freudian posted:

I put a recurring alert in my phone to go off at 1pm each day to remind me to take my second pill. Barring that, I can definitely feel my first dose begin to wear off which is a pretty good indicator that I need to refuel.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Smoothrich posted:

Sounds like your mom raised you good and sees you as smart and capable. You can be all that but still find yourself over your head when you're an adult and don't feel equipped to organize your responsibilities to match your values or ambitions.

I explained to my first doctor when I was seeking initial treatment for adhd that I wasn't depressed, but I couldn't accomplish anything right and it becomes really bad for your self esteem. He said a pill can't fix that, I said I was seeing a therapist to set and understand my goals, and meds would help me accomplish them. Was a good plan.. til my insurance expired :-(

Well it's not that there's no anxiety, but I don't really feel generally low on mood or don't enjoy things as much. I mean I was just trundling along, putting everything off till the last minute and causing a lot of undue stress. It just took me a long time to reach a limit on how well that works, even if it's fairly costly. I realise that I am reasonably bright, and when I finally do something I tend to enjoy it and to do it well.

It's only when that broke down that I noticed a lot of the problems I had, like in conversations. So when I realise that I'm drifting off listening to someone or forget where I am in the conversation, it gets me down. I'm really lucky to have made it to where I am, there are so many places along the way that I could've just could easily have missed a deadline and not gone to University at all or not made it to final year with some lab experience. A lot of the anxiety is I'm on the verge of quitting Uni, and the possibility of a job I might enjoy because I struggle to apply myself before a crisis.

I mean, maybe I'm depressed, but feeling down about the things I feel down about sometimes seems justified. Becoming aware of the troubles I've always had does make me feel down, but I've also found some ways to help myself socially and do some of the other everyday stuff I struggle with. Even if it's only once or twice a week on caffeine.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Yeah, I'll look into getting 15s.

Anyone turn into a lovely crybaby when their dose wears off for the day? Like if I'm trying to do something mentally taxing and the Adderall wears off, I want to throw whatever I'm working on at the wall and scream gently caress THIS. Extended release really helps taper the dose off gradually, I can't tolerate the up and down of instant release through the day, but I tend to get hyperfocused, working through pain/fatigue until I'm run the gently caress down and my gf has to tell me to stop doing ___. I got a new phone a few months ago and Samsung has this weird thing you have to do to get windows to read the drive as a storage device, and I was only five minutes in before losing all my patience and wanting to heave my phone at the floor.

I am almost frothing at the mouth just because I went to an atm to deposit cash into my wife's account and couldn't remember her pin, so now the card is blocked. I tried calling her but she turned her phone off.

So now her car payment is going to be late and her credit will get affected and I know she's going to blame me and god I'm so angry and I don't know who or what I'm angry with.

I know it's something extremely silly to get angry about but it just seems like such a huge thing for me that I'm sure its going to ruin the rest of my day.

I'm on adderall right now, I was on wellbutrin for my anxiety but it just made me feel worse.

Mister Nobody fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Late payments don't go on your credit report until they are 30 days past due.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Zhentar posted:

Late payments don't go on your credit report until they are 30 days past due.

I know that, she refuses to believe it and I get caught up in her panic. It's just so dumb.

I'm getting to the point where I can't tell whats reasonable or not.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Im due for a check up today before my dosage of strattera gets increased.

As I am still new to this as an adult I am wondering how much room I have to wiggle on how I am treated. It may just be because of the low dosage
at this point but I really feel as if so far the medication is having no obvious impact on any of my symptoms. I mean as it is I have a hard enough
time just remembering to take the medication, luckily my GF is all over it.

Is it a bad idea to ask for other potential medications? The thing is I know I need to give it time but its been almost a month at this dosage and I
feel literally nothing so far and I am starting to feel desperate and panicked as though this could go on for a while. I would much prefer to investigate
something more effective but do not want to come off looking like some sort of drug addict.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
Just tell your physician that after X amount of time you have not noticed any appreciable difference in your symptoms and you'd like to try something different. You don't have to mention anything specific, just say you're not getting the results you'd hoped for with this medication and want to explore other options. If your doctor won't prescribe anything besides Strattera, and you don't think it's working, ask to be referred to someone else who is open to trying different meds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strattera is one of those meds that just doesn't work for some people. If your psych is any good at all they should be aware of that and willing to try alternatives. Asking certainly can't hurt.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I figured this out yesterday since I was trying to sleep early and didn't take my noon or evening adderall. I'm usually asleep or at the very least in bed by the time all of the adderall wears off completely, so when 3pm rolled around and my 6am dose was completely gone, I was so exhausted and I couldn't focus on anything. The rest of the night was spent with a horrible, foggy buzzing in my brain, except for when I went to the gym, which cleared my head right up. No wonder I loved lifting so much before I got treated, the exertion is borderline magical, even though I am primarily inattentive.
Hell, even my restless leg syndrome, my deep seated hatred for school and the sensitivity to textures that I can only describe as "socks on rocks" have all pretty much disappeared with significant physical activity and proper treatment. I'm almost upset that I never got tested earlier in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Cardiovorax posted:

Strattera is one of those meds that just doesn't work for some people. If your psych is any good at all they should be aware of that and willing to try alternatives. Asking certainly can't hurt.

So on this, I have had my dose of strattera doubled today to 80mg. I did speak to my doctor about how I felt it was currently working
and was instructed that we have started off conservatively but we apparently have plenty of options left on the table which is why he
started conservatively. He then rattled off the names for a bunch of medication some of which I am familiar with such as the dex and
some less familiar such as methyl something or other. The point is there is apparently still a lot of ground to cover medication wise
and he is happy to do so.

Speaking to my doctor openly about treatment options was not a bad idea and I have no idea why I thought it would be.

The only real negative out of the day is that I have developed an odd rash on my hands and arms that he is concerned may be caused
by the strattera, if the rash continues or grows in size especially with the dosage increase he wants me to drop them like its hot.

Here is to hoping the increased dosage is affective!